Where nothing went right. Started off at 5:20am went to me father in law for breakfast and we were set to install a new engine into his daughters car (not my wife) Her timing belt "broke" according to him and bent the valves
Well we get there and proceed to pull the other engine out. Father in law and another guy are fiddling around with some stuff. I go over to the unopened box with the new engine in it. I pull the lid off and pull the sides off and start looking it over. It looks really weird and not like the one in the car.
I say hey "This engine looks really odd and not like that one." Father in law says well it is a 98 2.2 which her car is a 97 with a 2.2 it will bolt up.
I go well I dont think so due to the intake is totally different and the coil pack is attached to the back of the engine instead of the side. The EGR valve is no where to be found and does not bolt to where the one on the car is.
So we pull the old engine out. The finally he realizes after I said something 3 hours ago that it is not going to work.
Come to find out he got a 98 2.2 for a S10 pickup. He never looked at it when he picked it up.
So he was totally bumped out and pissed off. So to try and makes things some what okay I went and got a rebuild kit and rebuilt the 2.2 engine cost $469.00 for everything. Which he got the new one for $500
So while tearing into the engine The valves were bent at least 10 degrees. and the timing chain was not even broke the guide deals broke off and jammed the crank and cam gear.
So after 8 hours I got the engine back ready to be dropped in tomorrow. he was a little happier I was able to salvage that engine. I also replaced every sensor on that thing due to almost having to pull it out to reach them if they need changed. Along with new coil pack and wires.
Some random pictures
Here is when I discovered it was wrong. Only thing that was really different was the head. The block was identical. The intake goes down and out instead of out and up.
Engine pulled PITA to get this out it is secured with tons of brackets
This was 20% done with rebuild