Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 03-01-2011, 06:43 AM
oldcarfart oldcarfart is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 244
Default Why??????

Not to be a total a-hole (it comes naturally) but why are people so reluctant to buy the proper service manual for their vehicle (i.e. Chilton/Haynes)?.
Many of the repeat questions on any forum are readily answered by reading the book(s). Is it a "google society" issue where it is easier to have someone/something else do your homework/research?

It's a pet peeve of mine and I find it is also annoying to other people.

I firmly believe some people should not have tools. It is a weakly (sic) issue where someone shows up at my home shop with a broken part (muscle fu*ked), stripped threads, broken bolt (it was upside down and I forgot lefty loosey, righty tighty needed reversed!). We all need to learn somehow but c'mon guys & gals, ask first, do some homework!!!!

Remember the 6 P's......Prior Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

Sorry for the rant, maybe too many years as mentor, instructor, teacher, etc. and seeing the wheel reinvented over and over and over and over...............................

Just an Old Car Fart living the slow life in Bubbaville, USA, on the highway to happiness between Mayberry and Hooterville.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-01-2011, 06:52 AM
Tsevg9 Tsevg9 is offline
The Lou
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 121
Default Re: Why??????

Touche`.... I know that I've been guilty of this WAY too many times. Sometimes I just like hearing it from someone else who has already done it themselves I guess.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-01-2011, 07:00 AM
Jimmeh Jimmeh is offline
I am THE Hank Hill.
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,085
Send a message via AIM to Jimmeh
Default Re: Why??????

Some people would rather have a guy tell them what to do then read a book. Besides, a book only gives you one way to do something when another guy can give you a different way that may be easier and faster.
__________________
92 Ford Ranger Supercab XLT 4X4.
Not a ton done to it, but it's nowhere near finished
05 Chevy Silverado 1500 W/T 4X4
Way too much done to list and it's also not even close to done

"The only woman I'm pimping from now on is Sweet Lady Propane. And I'm tricking her out all over this town."
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-01-2011, 08:25 AM
Ranger Sport Ranger Sport is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,137
Default Re: Why??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcarfart View Post
Many of the repeat questions on any forum are readily answered by reading the book(s). Is it a "google society" issue where it is easier to have someone/something else do your homework/research?
The forum system also has a search function built in, but people are just lazy that way.

Annoying as fuck.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-01-2011, 11:30 AM
S13minus1 S13minus1 is offline
Sideways? Sideways.
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,592
Send a message via AIM to S13minus1
Default Re: Why??????

because they dont have an oasis password like i do
__________________
-Alex
'10 Ranger XL 2.3L Manual
Mods: Stereo, Tint, Weatherguard rain shields, Intake silencer removal, LED brake, turn signal, reverse, license plate, and dome lights, DDM HID's (currently removed), lowered, 17" wheels with spacers, Explorer autodim mirror with Autolamps, Magnaflow exhaust, Buggman LED 3rd Brake Light...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinS View Post
awe come on alex be a man!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-01-2011, 12:02 PM
08Ranger Sport 4x4 08Ranger Sport 4x4 is offline
"Eh, it'll buff out"
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,683
Default Re: Why??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Sport View Post
The forum system also has a search function built in, but people are just lazy that way.

Annoying as fuck.
I agree with Patrick and the OP.

But I have to admit when I first joined, I didn't use the search option as much as I should have done. I just wanted a quick easy answer didn't think about whether someone had already asked the same question. But if you've been here for more than a few weeks and are on regularly you'll notice a boat load of repeats. Granted a majority of us are guilty of this at least time or more. I know I am.
__________________
2008 Ford Ranger Sport 4x4 4.0L
-5 speed, undercoating, tinted windows, keyless entry, 3.73 gears
-Pioneer AVIC-F700BT GPS w/10" Pioneer woofer
-3 inch Performance Accessories Body Lift
-33x12.5 r 15 BFG M/T KM2's
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-01-2011, 12:35 PM
dvrich dvrich is offline
Lifetime DAV Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,438
Default Re: Why??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcarfart View Post
Not to be a total a-hole (it comes naturally) but why are people so reluctant to buy the proper service manual for their vehicle (i.e. Chilton/Haynes)?.
Many of the repeat questions on any forum are readily answered by reading the book(s). Is it a "google society" issue where it is easier to have someone/something else do your homework/research?

It's a pet peeve of mine and I find it is also annoying to other people.

I firmly believe some people should not have tools. It is a weakly (sic) issue where someone shows up at my home shop with a broken part (muscle fu*ked), stripped threads, broken bolt (it was upside down and I forgot lefty loosey, righty tighty needed reversed!). We all need to learn somehow but c'mon guys & gals, ask first, do some homework!!!!

Remember the 6 P's......Prior Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

Sorry for the rant, maybe too many years as mentor, instructor, teacher, etc. and seeing the wheel reinvented over and over and over and over...............................

Just an Old Car Fart living the slow life in Bubbaville, USA, on the highway to happiness between Mayberry and Hooterville.


You ought to look at the question asked in this thread I included below.......my IQ drops 30 points just by reading it. Common sense, an owner's manual would have done it. Pretty funny!
2010 xl oil change 2.3L manual tranny
__________________
2014 Ford F150 4x4 Supercab 5.0 STX 9500 miles 18 mpg overall
2015 Ford F150 4x2 Supercab 3.5 TIVCT 13,500 miles 21 mpg overall

Last edited by dvrich; 03-01-2011 at 12:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-01-2011, 01:08 PM
TheStig TheStig is offline
My truck snorts.
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 820
Default Re: Why??????

the common public is stupid

i've worked in the autoparts biz for over 2 years now and i'm still amazed at how people find the simplest things so difficult...that and some are just lazy fucks

who knew changing a license plate bulb could turn into a day long task....
i've even showed people how to remove their bulb...given them a new one and they come back 10 min later "could you put this in for me, i can't figure it out"


everyday i answer the phones and people ask for parts they need.....i ask them what kind of car they are working on and i get 5 minutes of "uh....uh....uh...lemme go look"


and when i ask what motor they have..."its a 4 cylinder"
sir the car has 3 different options for 4 cylinders

customer goes outside...brings me back the title "does this tell you anything?"
i run the VIN and it comes back as a v6....

and my favorite is the inbred redneck chevy fucktards....

Me: "what motor are we workin on today?"
redneck: " its a tree fiddy"
Me: "what year is the motor?"
redneck: "it don't matter, they all the same"

^^that reply is enough to have me give you the wrong parts on purpose just to prove a point....and i've done it

kinda hard to put 13/16 plugs from a 69' 350 on a 94'....i thought they were all the same


maybe its because i'm an enthusiast and i know my trucks upside down and backwards.....

or maybe i'm just a dick


but people these days buy cars just to drive them.....they know nothing about them, they don't take care of them and simple tasks such as picking out license plate screws gives them headaches
anything harder than putting gas in it is just too much trouble


i could go on and on.....i've got many stories of utter stupidity

but speaking of work, i gotta be there in an hour....
__________________
1996 XLT 2.3T "White Lightning" 5/7 dropped, Turbo street toy
2006 FX4 Off Road, DD, work in progress
1985 XLT 2.8L 4x4 "The Black Pearl" (retired but still around)
1987 XL 2.3L 2wd R.I.P.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerAllie View Post
I love me some Stig
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-01-2011, 02:51 PM
edgeman4.0 edgeman4.0 is offline
THE COMPLAINT DEPARTMENT
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,962
Default Re: Why??????

i agree with OP 110%.

stiggy, you're my hero.
__________________
2001 Ford Ranger Supercab (4dr), Oxford White, 4.0 Sohc, 4x4, Manual trans (hurst equipped), 4:10's, 3" body lift.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon-FX4 View Post
The Edgeman sees his prey and strikes out from the darkness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango88 View Post
Dont f+ck with Ch+ck
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-01-2011, 02:54 PM
01_ranger_4x4 01_ranger_4x4 is offline
OIF Veteran

 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 6,043
Default Re: Why??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
the common public is stupid

i've worked in the autoparts biz for over 2 years now and i'm still amazed at how people find the simplest things so difficult...that and some are just lazy fucks

who knew changing a license plate bulb could turn into a day long task....
i've even showed people how to remove their bulb...given them a new one and they come back 10 min later "could you put this in for me, i can't figure it out"


everyday i answer the phones and people ask for parts they need.....i ask them what kind of car they are working on and i get 5 minutes of "uh....uh....uh...lemme go look"


and when i ask what motor they have..."its a 4 cylinder"
sir the car has 3 different options for 4 cylinders

customer goes outside...brings me back the title "does this tell you anything?"
i run the VIN and it comes back as a v6....

and my favorite is the inbred redneck chevy fucktards....

Me: "what motor are we workin on today?"
redneck: " its a tree fiddy"
Me: "what year is the motor?"
redneck: "it don't matter, they all the same"

^^that reply is enough to have me give you the wrong parts on purpose just to prove a point....and i've done it

kinda hard to put 13/16 plugs from a 69' 350 on a 94'....i thought they were all the same


maybe its because i'm an enthusiast and i know my trucks upside down and backwards.....

or maybe i'm just a dick


but people these days buy cars just to drive them.....they know nothing about them, they don't take care of them and simple tasks such as picking out license plate screws gives them headaches
anything harder than putting gas in it is just too much trouble


i could go on and on.....i've got many stories of utter stupidity

but speaking of work, i gotta be there in an hour....

ha ha thats great, and accurate!
__________________
2001 Ranger 4x4 Stepside
-RCD Suspension lift
-33x12.5 BFG KM2's on Mickey Thomson classic locks
-4:56 gears
-Auburn gear LS
-James Duff traction bars
-Headers
-Flowmaster duals
-SCT X-Cal2 and some small exterior mods

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2321189

2005 F-150 Lariat 4x4
-LED third brake light
-Weathertech floor liners
-Edge tuner
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-02-2011, 05:07 AM
oldcarfart oldcarfart is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 244
Default Re: Why??????

Thanks for the replys, I know I can be a dick (retired Navy Chief and TRW engineer) but "HOLY SHIT" some people need bitch slapped and tools recovered.

Y'all have a good day and if down Clinton, SC way give a yell. 864-two-hundred- one-9-fore-1

Enjoy!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search