Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #16  
Old 09-27-2010, 05:31 PM
ZWilson07 ZWilson07 is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,254
Default Re: Gun Advice

looks good man. how come you bought that shorter barrel, jw.
__________________
2006 Ford Ranger Supercab 4x4 XL. 4.0 5spd. To much to list-SOLD!

Ill be back
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-27-2010, 05:36 PM
01_ranger_4x4 01_ranger_4x4 is offline
OIF Veteran

 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 6,043
Default Re: Gun Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZWilson07 View Post
looks good man. how come you bought that shorter barrel, jw.
the slug barrels are shorter than the smooth bore field barrels usually.
__________________
2001 Ranger 4x4 Stepside
-RCD Suspension lift
-33x12.5 BFG KM2's on Mickey Thomson classic locks
-4:56 gears
-Auburn gear LS
-James Duff traction bars
-Headers
-Flowmaster duals
-SCT X-Cal2 and some small exterior mods

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2321189

2005 F-150 Lariat 4x4
-LED third brake light
-Weathertech floor liners
-Edge tuner
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-27-2010, 05:40 PM
ZWilson07 ZWilson07 is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,254
Default Re: Gun Advice

whats the advantage of the shorter barrel is what I was meaning? and how much cheaper is the mossberg 500 compared to the cheapest remington 870 and is it really worth saving that little money but lose the extras of the remington?
__________________
2006 Ford Ranger Supercab 4x4 XL. 4.0 5spd. To much to list-SOLD!

Ill be back
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-27-2010, 05:41 PM
vapiper vapiper is offline
Buy a Ford
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 198
Default Re: Gun Advice

I hate to answer a question with a question, but to give you the "best" type gun for what you want is to ask

What will you do with the gun/s you buy?

Reason I ask is all guns serve a function

For work I carry a Glock 23 as it's the biggest 40 cal I can carry on duty that is offered to me

For off duty concealed carry I use my Glock 27 the smallest gun I'm allowed to carry (have to use glock)

My preference for a backup/carry gun is the trusty "wheel gun" a .357 mag ...Yeah people will say It only holds 5/6 rounds. My huge ruger 9mm holds 17

My question to you is what are you going to do when the shit hits the fan and you stovepipe the first round, or get a misfeed???

Revolvers are simple for a reason...click bang click bang. If you click and nothing, just pull the trigger again, no need to be trained on "tap rack bang" and other methods used for clearing a jam

The function of a "carry concealed" firearm is not to engage in a "gun battle" but to defend and be able to retreat to safety alive.

If you're going to target shoot. Id say a good ruger .22...they make fine target pistols and ammo is dirt cheap (something people forget to add into the total gun owning cost)

If you don't mind spending the money, go with a nice Kimber...talk about the sweetest firing gun you will have in your hands.

Sig sauer makes a FINE firearm as well

Shotguns....again, what kind of shooting will you do with it...home defense? get the shortest barrel you allowed by law in your jurisdiction and go with a pump action and smooth bore, shoot bird shot (don't want over penetration into the other walls do we? Remington 870 is tried and true, and so is the mossberg 500

Hunting? Try a nice semi auto shotgun

clay shooting? a good over under or semi auto

as you see, the intended purpose for the firearm will dictate what you will buy.

Yes a snub nose .357 kicks and you don't want to do a LOT of target shooting with it, it's not a target gun

Yes a Nice full size kimber is awesome, try carrying it for several hours and concealing it.

See what I mean.

I'd also highly suggest, if you have not already look up NRA sponsored firearm safety courses in your area and HAVE FUN!
__________________
2010 Ranger XLT
2009 M109R
http://www.fuelly.com/sig-us/41030.png
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-27-2010, 05:49 PM
04blackedge 04blackedge is offline
Noob
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 41
Send a message via AIM to 04blackedge
Default Re: Gun Advice

Great post vapiper, lots of good info.

Mossberg does make 1 kit, 500 that comes with a 28" and 20" barrel so you can use it for home defense and for shooting skeet, etc, etc.
__________________
2006 F-150 XLT 4x4 5.4 V8
Leveled on 35" KM2s
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-27-2010, 05:50 PM
ZWilson07 ZWilson07 is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,254
Default Re: Gun Advice

nthanks for the help guys. I will be eventually getting into the hand gun game which acourse means alot more things weigh in and affect my decision but all that wont be happening until next year. so for sake of keeping this easy and short. im just discussing the 12 gauge shotgun right particularly between the mossberg 500 and the remington 870. to answer your questions, my shot gun will strictly be only used for mostly home protection, then some going out and shooting at the range, and lastly just a tiny amount of hunting with it if any at all. so to answer your questions, im trying to decide between those 2 an those are my purposes. thanks, Zach.
__________________
2006 Ford Ranger Supercab 4x4 XL. 4.0 5spd. To much to list-SOLD!

Ill be back
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-27-2010, 05:50 PM
01_ranger_4x4 01_ranger_4x4 is offline
OIF Veteran

 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 6,043
Default Re: Gun Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZWilson07 View Post
whats the advantage of the shorter barrel is what I was meaning? and how much cheaper is the mossberg 500 compared to the cheapest remington 870 and is it really worth saving that little money but lose the extras of the remington?
with smooth bores, the shorter the barrel the wider the shot pattern will be. shorter barrels are better for close shots and defensive shots, longer barrels hold a tighter shot pattern for longer range shots for shooting birds, turkey, clays ect. slug barrels are shorter because they dont need to be long because they are rifled, they dont need the extra length to stabilize the slug.
__________________
2001 Ranger 4x4 Stepside
-RCD Suspension lift
-33x12.5 BFG KM2's on Mickey Thomson classic locks
-4:56 gears
-Auburn gear LS
-James Duff traction bars
-Headers
-Flowmaster duals
-SCT X-Cal2 and some small exterior mods

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2321189

2005 F-150 Lariat 4x4
-LED third brake light
-Weathertech floor liners
-Edge tuner
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-27-2010, 05:55 PM
01_ranger_4x4 01_ranger_4x4 is offline
OIF Veteran

 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 6,043
Default Re: Gun Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZWilson07 View Post
nthanks for the help guys. I will be eventually getting into the hand gun game which acourse means alot more things weigh in and affect my decision but all that wont be happening until next year. so for sake of keeping this easy and short. im just discussing the 12 gauge shotgun right particularly between the mossberg 500 and the remington 870. to answer your questions, my shot gun will strictly be only used for mostly home protection, then some going out and shooting at the range, and lastly just a tiny amount of hunting with it if any at all. so to answer your questions, im trying to decide between those 2 an those are my purposes. thanks, Zach.
because of the ability to change out barrels on both the 500 and the 870 you can easily switch between a short home defense barrel to a longer target/ field barrel. keep an eye on local sporting goods store ads, especially this time of year. i see alot of 870 and 500 combos, usually with a long smooth bore and a rifled slug barrel or a long and short smooth bore.
__________________
2001 Ranger 4x4 Stepside
-RCD Suspension lift
-33x12.5 BFG KM2's on Mickey Thomson classic locks
-4:56 gears
-Auburn gear LS
-James Duff traction bars
-Headers
-Flowmaster duals
-SCT X-Cal2 and some small exterior mods

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2321189

2005 F-150 Lariat 4x4
-LED third brake light
-Weathertech floor liners
-Edge tuner
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-27-2010, 06:04 PM
ZWilson07 ZWilson07 is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,254
Default Re: Gun Advice

then how come so many choose the 870 over the mossberg 500 when the 870 is more money. just how it feels, less recoil, etc?
__________________
2006 Ford Ranger Supercab 4x4 XL. 4.0 5spd. To much to list-SOLD!

Ill be back
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-27-2010, 06:07 PM
01_ranger_4x4 01_ranger_4x4 is offline
OIF Veteran

 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 6,043
Default Re: Gun Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZWilson07 View Post
then how come so many choose the 870 over the mossberg 500 when the 870 is more money. just how it feels, less recoil, etc?
yeah those are some reasons buts its personal preference mostly.
__________________
2001 Ranger 4x4 Stepside
-RCD Suspension lift
-33x12.5 BFG KM2's on Mickey Thomson classic locks
-4:56 gears
-Auburn gear LS
-James Duff traction bars
-Headers
-Flowmaster duals
-SCT X-Cal2 and some small exterior mods

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2321189

2005 F-150 Lariat 4x4
-LED third brake light
-Weathertech floor liners
-Edge tuner
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09-27-2010, 06:11 PM
ZWilson07 ZWilson07 is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,254
Default Re: Gun Advice

looks like i need to go to the range and shoot both of them and decide which one I liek the most. I might get lucky and like the cheaper mossberg more.
__________________
2006 Ford Ranger Supercab 4x4 XL. 4.0 5spd. To much to list-SOLD!

Ill be back
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-27-2010, 06:12 PM
01_ranger_4x4 01_ranger_4x4 is offline
OIF Veteran

 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 6,043
Default Re: Gun Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZWilson07 View Post
looks like i need to go to the range and shoot both of them and decide which one I liek the most. I might get lucky and like the cheaper mossberg more.
that would be a good idea.
__________________
2001 Ranger 4x4 Stepside
-RCD Suspension lift
-33x12.5 BFG KM2's on Mickey Thomson classic locks
-4:56 gears
-Auburn gear LS
-James Duff traction bars
-Headers
-Flowmaster duals
-SCT X-Cal2 and some small exterior mods

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2321189

2005 F-150 Lariat 4x4
-LED third brake light
-Weathertech floor liners
-Edge tuner
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-28-2010, 05:22 AM
vapiper vapiper is offline
Buy a Ford
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 198
Default Re: Gun Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackedge View Post
Great post vapiper, lots of good info.

Mossberg does make 1 kit, 500 that comes with a 28" and 20" barrel so you can use it for home defense and for shooting skeet, etc, etc.
I've been shooting a while, and well it's required for work

As for skeet, I'd suggest staying away from pump action shotguns

Can some do it...sure, is it a pain in the ass...yup

Reason why most competitions you only see OU or semi auto....only have a split second in some cases to hit the skeet and stay on target which is harder to do when you have to cycle the action on a pump shotgun to hit multiple skeet targets.

Ofcourse if you're doing a one at a time kind of thing, sure, have at it, just keep in mind when you start going for two or more you will want to switch out to something "quicker"

Plus I just love having two triggers

As for that mossberg kit, I have it...the "field and deer" package...came with two barrels (one smooth one rifled) and scope. Paid 250 for it...soo...two guns for the price of a little under one (on sale and discounted) I could not pass it up
__________________
2010 Ranger XLT
2009 M109R
http://www.fuelly.com/sig-us/41030.png
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-28-2010, 08:11 AM
04blackedge 04blackedge is offline
Noob
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 41
Send a message via AIM to 04blackedge
Default Re: Gun Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapiper View Post
I've been shooting a while, and well it's required for work

As for skeet, I'd suggest staying away from pump action shotguns

Can some do it...sure, is it a pain in the ass...yup

Reason why most competitions you only see OU or semi auto....only have a split second in some cases to hit the skeet and stay on target which is harder to do when you have to cycle the action on a pump shotgun to hit multiple skeet targets.

Ofcourse if you're doing a one at a time kind of thing, sure, have at it, just keep in mind when you start going for two or more you will want to switch out to something "quicker"

Plus I just love having two triggers

As for that mossberg kit, I have it...the "field and deer" package...came with two barrels (one smooth one rifled) and scope. Paid 250 for it...soo...two guns for the price of a little under one (on sale and discounted) I could not pass it up
Oh I definitely agree with you, a OU is much better. I was just offering another solution, for someone just doing it for kicks I think it would work out ok.

Yeah I checked, I thought it came with a shorter barrel for HD but it was exactly what you said. Oh well lol
__________________
2006 F-150 XLT 4x4 5.4 V8
Leveled on 35" KM2s
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-28-2010, 08:12 AM
04blackedge 04blackedge is offline
Noob
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 41
Send a message via AIM to 04blackedge
Default Re: Gun Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZWilson07 View Post
looks like i need to go to the range and shoot both of them and decide which one I liek the most. I might get lucky and like the cheaper mossberg more.
If budget is a issue look at the Maverick 88 too. Made by Mossberg just a little less quality. Takes the same parts as the 500 though, I know a few friends that have them and like it.
__________________
2006 F-150 XLT 4x4 5.4 V8
Leveled on 35" KM2s
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Well started my gun collection Sonic04edge Off Topic 28 09-22-2010 03:34 PM
Paint gun recommendations DangerRanger01 Fabrication and Tool Tech 6 09-17-2010 06:47 PM
For Sale: Impact Gun Set Justincredible Misc Items 0 07-20-2010 09:57 AM
Gun Storage normandg General Ford Ranger Discussion 12 05-20-2010 09:34 PM
I support the second amendment. (gun pics) 01_ranger_4x4 Off Topic 16 04-23-2010 03:46 AM