Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 01-31-2016, 06:34 PM
1vannn 1vannn is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 529
Default New Truck?

Hey everyone, I'm looking to buy my first Ranger, I'm super excited, it's an 06' Regular Cab, 2.3L Regular Cab, not quite sure it's a long or short bed, but it's rust free, and economical, both traits that my 96' F-150 currently does not have. My only question is the cab, I have an extended cab now, pretty much all I use it for is my backpack when I don't want to look at it, and a passenger, once, and I've had my F-150 for.. 8 months? How do you guys live with regular cabs? Better yet, how different is it to an extended cab? Thanks to all in advance!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-31-2016, 06:51 PM
ranger_ferd ranger_ferd is offline
smart @$$ 101
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,877
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1vannn View Post
Hey everyone, I'm looking to buy my first Ranger, I'm super excited, it's an 06' Regular Cab, 2.3L Regular Cab, not quite sure it's a long or short bed, but it's rust free, and economical, both traits that my 96' F-150 currently does not have. My only question is the cab, I have an extended cab now, pretty much all I use it for is my backpack when I don't want to look at it, and a passenger, once, and I've had my F-150 for.. 8 months? How do you guys live with regular cabs? Better yet, how different is it to an extended cab? Thanks to all in advance!
I personally prefer reg cabs over extended, I've owned both, the reg cab in the ranger is practically useless, only things you could fit back there is a backpack or subs anyway, you won't miss it, although you'll miss the full size
__________________
2001 f250 7.3 zf-6
1979 f150 400/c6
Ranger free since December 2015
quote of the day:
The round flowing fenders of this vehicle have been lovingly reconstructed by a Dutch craftsman out of, what could be considered the most precious material on earth, bondo
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-31-2016, 06:54 PM
1vannn 1vannn is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 529
Default Re: New Truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_ferd View Post
I personally prefer reg cabs over extended, I've owned both, the reg cab in the ranger is practically useless, only things you could fit back there is a backpack or subs anyway, you won't miss it, although you'll miss the full size
I'll probably miss having my own full size, but I'll get my fix driving the parent's 24 valve Cummins. But yea, I really don't see a point in an extended cab, my mom agreed with me as well as their truck is also an extended cab and all its done is prevent them from buying a toolbox, so ratchet strap heaven back there haha. Thank you very much buddy!
__________________
2005 Ford Ranger XL 2.3 5 Speed | Cincinnati, OH
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-31-2016, 06:58 PM
Kealel Kealel is offline
Bringing hell to the city
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,572
Default Re: New Truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_ferd View Post
I personally prefer reg cabs over extended, I've owned both, the reg cab in the ranger is practically useless, only things you could fit back there is a backpack or subs anyway, you won't miss it, although you'll miss the full size
I believe you meant to say the ext. Cab...

I have had two reg cabs and 1 ext Cab.

A 02 ext. Cab that I only used the back for storing my tools when I did not feel safe with them in an unlocked toolbox, and sometimes slept in the back.

A 06 reg can that had a lot more room behind the seats than my 03 reg cab and I also slept perfectly across the seats and tools just went in the passenger footwell.

And a 03 the cab which I have now with my 06 seats in it. I have less room behind the seat and can not recline as far back but still prefer it over the extended cab.

Overall, I prefer the reg cab as it looks more aggressive and is just as functional as my extended cab was but is lighter and more fuel efficient (all had the 3.0s) so especially because it is a 06, you will be fine with a the cab
__________________
Baby Girl: 2006 White Ranger XL with many memories. R.I.P. 1/26/15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan03CO View Post
I knew you were an alright guy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford4thot View Post
The only reason it's worn out junk is because you've gone 70k miles without changing the oil.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-31-2016, 07:02 PM
1vannn 1vannn is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 529
Default Re: New Truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kealel View Post
I believe you meant to say the ext. Cab...

I have had two reg cabs and 1 ext Cab.

A 02 ext. Cab that I only used the back for storing my tools when I did not feel safe with them in an unlocked toolbox, and sometimes slept in the back.

A 06 reg can that had a lot more room behind the seats than my 03 reg cab and I also slept perfectly across the seats and tools just went in the passenger footwell.

And a 03 the cab which I have now with my 06 seats in it. I have less room behind the seat and can not recline as far back but still prefer it over the extended cab.

Overall, I prefer the reg cab as it looks more aggressive and is just as functional as my extended cab was but is lighter and more fuel efficient (all had the 3.0s) so especially because it is a 06, you will be fine with a the cab
Thank you very much buddy! I'm planning on using this for a commuter plus some light hauling (straw bales for the farm) so I can't justify another full size (gas mileage.. High school..) and the 2.3L in the Ranger and it's advertised ~20mpg overall is too hard to pass up. Again, thank you very much
__________________
2005 Ford Ranger XL 2.3 5 Speed | Cincinnati, OH
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-31-2016, 07:10 PM
ranger_ferd ranger_ferd is offline
smart @$$ 101
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,877
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kealel View Post
I believe you meant to say the ext. Cab... I have had two reg cabs and 1 ext Cab. A 02 ext. Cab that I only used the back for storing my tools when I did not feel safe with them in an unlocked toolbox, and sometimes slept in the back. A 06 reg can that had a lot more room behind the seats than my 03 reg cab and I also slept perfectly across the seats and tools just went in the passenger footwell. And a 03 the cab which I have now with my 06 seats in it. I have less room behind the seat and can not recline as far back but still prefer it over the extended cab. Overall, I prefer the reg cab as it looks more aggressive and is just as functional as my extended cab was but is lighter and more fuel efficient (all had the 3.0s) so especially because it is a 06, you will be fine with a the cab
yea, my bad
__________________
2001 f250 7.3 zf-6
1979 f150 400/c6
Ranger free since December 2015
quote of the day:
The round flowing fenders of this vehicle have been lovingly reconstructed by a Dutch craftsman out of, what could be considered the most precious material on earth, bondo
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-31-2016, 07:23 PM
halo71 halo71 is offline
Ford Motor Co
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 160
Default Re: New Truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1vannn
and the 2.3L in the Ranger and it's advertised ~20mpg overall is too hard to pass up. Again, thank you very much
Hell I was getting 19-21 mpg in my 4.0. I would have thought the 2.3 would get a little better than that.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-31-2016, 07:24 PM
Kealel Kealel is offline
Bringing hell to the city
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,572
Default Re: New Truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1vannn View Post
Thank you very much buddy! I'm planning on using this for a commuter plus some light hauling (straw bales for the farm) so I can't justify another full size (gas mileage.. High school..) and the 2.3L in the Ranger and it's advertised ~20mpg overall is too hard to pass up. Again, thank you very much
Glad I can help!

That's about what I used my 06 for, except it was metal instead of straw!

Not sure how well the 2.3 actually is on gas heads up, my truck is rated for I think 17 combined and many with this motor report less than that. My 06 got 17 no matter how I drove, my 02 (ext) got 16 to 22 and my 03 gets 17 to 38 depending on how I drive (many people call bs on that but the numbers don't lie)

Point is, you might get better or you might get worse than 20, so if that is a huge must for you be light on the skinny pedal!
__________________
Baby Girl: 2006 White Ranger XL with many memories. R.I.P. 1/26/15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan03CO View Post
I knew you were an alright guy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford4thot View Post
The only reason it's worn out junk is because you've gone 70k miles without changing the oil.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-31-2016, 07:29 PM
2004 fx4 level II 2004 fx4 level II is online now
sooo fuckin deeeaaadddd
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 7,840
Default Re: New Truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by halo71 View Post
Hell I was getting 19-21 mpg in my 4.0. I would have thought the 2.3 would get a little better than that.
no way ur getting 19-21 with 4.0 more like 16-17
__________________
Fx4 levelII
enough^^ said

t-bar cranked 33x10.5x15 bfg all terrain ko2-15x8 pro comp 7031- blacked out headlight and corners mustang dome Westin brushguard March 2014 TOTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford4thot View Post
Yeah fuck Chevy
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-31-2016, 07:33 PM
1vannn 1vannn is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 529
Default Re: New Truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004 fx4 level II View Post
no way ur getting 19-21 with 4.0 more like 16-17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kealel View Post
Glad I can help!

That's about what I used my 06 for, except it was metal instead of straw!

Not sure how well the 2.3 actually is on gas heads up, my truck is rated for I think 17 combined and many with this motor report less than that. My 06 got 17 no matter how I drove, my 02 (ext) got 16 to 22 and my 03 gets 17 to 38 depending on how I drive (many people call bs on that but the numbers don't lie)

Point is, you might get better or you might get worse than 20, so if that is a huge must for you be light on the skinny pedal!
Hey either way, with a 20 mile round trip to school, anything is better than 12mpg.. But thank you all! Kealel, I'm hoping to take a welding course over the summer, so maybe the little Ranger will be hauling metal like yours too.
__________________
2005 Ford Ranger XL 2.3 5 Speed | Cincinnati, OH
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-31-2016, 07:37 PM
Kealel Kealel is offline
Bringing hell to the city
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,572
Default Re: New Truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1vannn View Post
Hey either way, with a 20 mile round trip to school, anything is better than 12mpg.. But thank you all! Kealel, I'm hoping to take a welding course over the summer, so maybe the little Ranger will be hauling metal like yours too.
Whatever happens, I'll be expecting pics!
Ph, and a heads up, 04 to 06 Rangers have an airbag recall, make sure before you dd it you have it done!
__________________
Baby Girl: 2006 White Ranger XL with many memories. R.I.P. 1/26/15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan03CO View Post
I knew you were an alright guy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford4thot View Post
The only reason it's worn out junk is because you've gone 70k miles without changing the oil.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-31-2016, 07:42 PM
97rangerstepside 97rangerstepside is offline
Woosah
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,058
Default Re: New Truck?

I usually average 23-25 with my 2.3 but I have the older 2.3 Lima, the 06 has the 2.3 duratech I'm not sure what those get for mpg but does have more power than the Lima does
__________________
1997 Ranger xlt standard cab stepside. 2.3 5 speed
06 mirrors, white face gauges, explorer limited leather seats, shorty console, UWS Toolbox, proper hitch, proper spray in bed liner.
Build Thread
1981 Honda CB900c fully dressed
2004 Jeep Wrangler 2.4 5speed
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-31-2016, 07:48 PM
1vannn 1vannn is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 529
Default Re: New Truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kealel View Post
Whatever happens, I'll be expecting pics!
Ph, and a heads up, 04 to 06 Rangers have an airbag recall, make sure before you dd it you have it done!
By dd it, what does that mean? Is there a thing where I can just punch in the VIN, see if it's been done, if not, yell at Ford to fix it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97rangerstepside View Post
I usually average 23-25 with my 2.3 but I have the older 2.3 Lima, the 06 has the 2.3 duratech I'm not sure what those get for mpg but does have more power than the Lima does
Awesome, it has a manual so I'm hoping I can control my gas pedal and rpms a fair bit more than my F-150 with the 5.8L V8.. Its hard to think that I'd be loosing half my cylinders but I'm really happy about it too! (my wallet mainly..)
__________________
2005 Ford Ranger XL 2.3 5 Speed | Cincinnati, OH
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-31-2016, 07:52 PM
Kealel Kealel is offline
Bringing hell to the city
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,572
Default Re: New Truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1vannn View Post
By dd it, what does that mean? Is there a thing where I can just punch in the VIN, see if it's been done, if not, yell at Ford to fix it?
By dd I mean daily drive it, sorry, I use unpopular slang sometimes!

I am sure there is a place you can search the VIN but I like to tell at the Ford people to run it for me, plus they can print off a build sheet so you don't have to pull it up yourself!
__________________
Baby Girl: 2006 White Ranger XL with many memories. R.I.P. 1/26/15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan03CO View Post
I knew you were an alright guy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford4thot View Post
The only reason it's worn out junk is because you've gone 70k miles without changing the oil.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-31-2016, 07:57 PM
1vannn 1vannn is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 529
Default Re: New Truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kealel View Post
By dd I mean daily drive it, sorry, I use unpopular slang sometimes!

I am sure there is a place you can search the VIN but I like to tell at the Ford people to run it for me, plus they can print off a build sheet so you don't have to pull it up yourself!
I'm not use to car slang yet lol.. And I guess I'll use the many mpg's to drive down to Ford to fix it haha.
__________________
2005 Ford Ranger XL 2.3 5 Speed | Cincinnati, OH
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
f-150, ranger, regularcab, truck

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lights to see truck bed and behind truck garret0310 Exterior Tech 8 08-02-2015 08:39 PM
First truck/Ranger Project Truck sparky628 General Ford Ranger Discussion 1 05-29-2015 03:51 PM
Craigslist / eBay Find: 2006 Top Truck Challenge Truck / 1991 Ford Ranger SalRanger2 Trucks 3 03-21-2012 09:27 PM
Hit by a drunk driver in my work truck, project truck for me now. pics Bobbyd963 Project Logs 5 03-19-2012 02:34 AM
Lowered Truck parked under Lifted Truck Bighomedog11 Vehicle Snapshots 20 03-18-2012 05:53 AM