Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 04-29-2010, 02:42 PM
richarddhoward richarddhoward is offline
Road Trippin' King!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,010
Send a message via MSN to richarddhoward
Default Tennessee questions

I got an offer for a job in Tennesse, they didn't tell me where, but that's where they would send me. I'd be working for Kiewitt Power Division building a power plant.

So my question is what's the good the bad and the ugly of the place? I haven't accepted the job but I have never been there and don't know much about it.

Is there a sales tax or state income tax? Or both? What's cost of living? Where do I not want to live? And most importantly how are the bars and ladies? lol
__________________
97 Ranger - 4.0 V6 auto, 4wd, 31x10.5x15s Wild Country XTX Sport All Terrains, Warn locking hubs, Pioneer deck with iPod attachment, Snugtop Topper, K&N filter, scan gauge II, Hella 500 Lights, More parts coming, waiting for the paycheck to get bigger!

Truck built in loving memory of Norm Howard
Outcast Racing
PNW Crew!!!
Afterhours Clan!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_ariens View Post
I think Henry just shit himself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radness View Post
Its kind of like that carnival game "Whack A Mole" but with guns! Haha
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-29-2010, 03:37 PM
richarddhoward richarddhoward is offline
Road Trippin' King!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,010
Send a message via MSN to richarddhoward
Default Re: Tennessee questions

Forum bump of fury!! Sorry bored lol
__________________
97 Ranger - 4.0 V6 auto, 4wd, 31x10.5x15s Wild Country XTX Sport All Terrains, Warn locking hubs, Pioneer deck with iPod attachment, Snugtop Topper, K&N filter, scan gauge II, Hella 500 Lights, More parts coming, waiting for the paycheck to get bigger!

Truck built in loving memory of Norm Howard
Outcast Racing
PNW Crew!!!
Afterhours Clan!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_ariens View Post
I think Henry just shit himself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radness View Post
Its kind of like that carnival game "Whack A Mole" but with guns! Haha

Last edited by richarddhoward; 04-29-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-29-2010, 04:29 PM
richarddhoward richarddhoward is offline
Road Trippin' King!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,010
Send a message via MSN to richarddhoward
Default Re: Tennessee questions

Oh and how's the four wheeling? And is there good places to ride a motorcycle? I'm buying one and want to do some cruising!
__________________
97 Ranger - 4.0 V6 auto, 4wd, 31x10.5x15s Wild Country XTX Sport All Terrains, Warn locking hubs, Pioneer deck with iPod attachment, Snugtop Topper, K&N filter, scan gauge II, Hella 500 Lights, More parts coming, waiting for the paycheck to get bigger!

Truck built in loving memory of Norm Howard
Outcast Racing
PNW Crew!!!
Afterhours Clan!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_ariens View Post
I think Henry just shit himself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radness View Post
Its kind of like that carnival game "Whack A Mole" but with guns! Haha
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-29-2010, 05:04 PM
philidopolus philidopolus is offline
Liking the Ford Ranger Forum
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 24
Default Re: Tennessee questions

It all depends on where you go in TN. I lived in knoxville several years ago. Its gorgeous in eastern tn. LOTS of wheelin can take place there. I still have family there, and visit yearly. The cost of living is pretty low, and who does'nt like southern ladies. I have traveled through nashville, and memphis, but I dont know much about them other than they film the powerblock on spike tv in nashville. Congrats on the new job, and good luck.
__________________
1999 2wd 2.5 4 banger reg cab
Just a few mods. Pioneer head unit, upgraded to 15 inch explorer wheels, diamond plate tool box.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-29-2010, 05:20 PM
richarddhoward richarddhoward is offline
Road Trippin' King!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,010
Send a message via MSN to richarddhoward
Default Re: Tennessee questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by philidopolus View Post
It all depends on where you go in TN. I lived in knoxville several years ago. Its gorgeous in eastern tn. LOTS of wheelin can take place there. I still have family there, and visit yearly. The cost of living is pretty low, and who does'nt like southern ladies. I have traveled through nashville, and memphis, but I dont know much about them other than they film the powerblock on spike tv in nashville. Congrats on the new job, and good luck.
Lol thanks. I haven't accepted it but I am definately leaning towards it. And I can transfer back the the PNW if a position opens in the company. I believe the job is in the Knoxville area, and I would definately hit up all the big towns lol Just for fun, it would be bad ass to go watch the powerblock in person lol
__________________
97 Ranger - 4.0 V6 auto, 4wd, 31x10.5x15s Wild Country XTX Sport All Terrains, Warn locking hubs, Pioneer deck with iPod attachment, Snugtop Topper, K&N filter, scan gauge II, Hella 500 Lights, More parts coming, waiting for the paycheck to get bigger!

Truck built in loving memory of Norm Howard
Outcast Racing
PNW Crew!!!
Afterhours Clan!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_ariens View Post
I think Henry just shit himself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radness View Post
Its kind of like that carnival game "Whack A Mole" but with guns! Haha
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-29-2010, 05:28 PM
RAT Ranger RAT Ranger is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,397
Arrow Re: Tennessee questions

We've lived here since 93 after spendin 14yrs in ND compliments of Uncle Sam.................

I'll give ya my experiences:

1. I have come to HATE rain, that's mostly what it does in the winter months.
2. I never had allergies in my life, I had to have sinus surgery in 99, and am still on meds year round that only allow me to taste & smell intermittently. Air quality down here is in the TOILET! One day last week the pollen count was over 7000
3. When my Uncle & Aunt lived here through the 70's & 80's, TN cars were known as spotless..............now, at the hint of snow or freezin temps, they pre-salt the roads, and that stuff SUKS if your tryin to keep your car/truck clean!
4. COL depends on where your at..........we live in Athens, pretty much dead in the middle of K-town & Chatt. and it's not too bad here, but you get over around Pigeon Forge (Dollywood territory) and freakin costs are TRIPLE or worse, specially durin Rod Runs (numerous times from April-Oct, you have the spring & fall Grand Rod Run, hotel rates will go from $50 night to $250 night, IF YOU CAN FIND ROOM! Then you have Shades of the Past the weekend before the fall Grand, and theres a Chevelle, Nova, Camaro show, Truckin type shows, the F100 Truck meet, etc, etc.)
5. You want to stay away from the "east side" of K-town, BAD area, crime & shootins and crap, same with NW side of Chattanooga, like Red Bank area & anywheres around Memphis.
6. Nashville is HIGH COL, you know why!

I can tell ya more, but PM me if ya got any ???'s and I'll answer best I can!

And if your wonderin why I'm still here......................2 kids w/spouses & 5 Grandkids, and it's half-way between PA (Wife & I both born & raised there & have lotta family there) and FLA (where my Dad & his Wife have retired, as we lost Mom in 03)...........ya only live once, and my military career kept us from bein around family except for once every year or two via leave, and now as I've gotten into my 50's, I want to be able to see my kids & grandkids as much as possible. Call me a "softy", but I love all them kids with all my heart and am GLAD that my Wife & I have done the best we could with what GOD BLESSED US WITH!
__________________
ALL THROTTLE, NO BOTTLE!!!

Daily Driver: 98 Thunderbolt

TOY: Green 94 Pro Street

Last edited by RAT Ranger; 04-29-2010 at 05:36 PM. Reason: info
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-29-2010, 05:32 PM
richarddhoward richarddhoward is offline
Road Trippin' King!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,010
Send a message via MSN to richarddhoward
Default Re: Tennessee questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAT Ranger View Post
We've lived here since 93 after spendin 14yrs in ND compliments of Uncle Sam.................

I'll give ya my experiences:

1. I have come to HATE rain, that's mostly what it does in the winter months.
2. I never had allergies in my life, I had to have sinus surgery in 99, and am still on meds year round that only allow me to taste & smell intermittently. Air quality down here is in the TOILET! One day last week the pollen count was over 7000
3. When my Uncle & Aunt lived here through the 70's & 80's, TN cars were known as spotless..............now, at the hint of snow or freezin temps, they pre-salt the roads, and that stuff SUKS if your tryin to keep your car/truck clean!
4. COL depends on where your at..........we live in Athens, pretty much dead in the middle of K-town & Chatt. and it's not too bad here, but you get over around Pigeon Forge (Dollywood territory) and freakin costs are TRIPLE or worse, specially durin Rod Runs (numerous times from April-Oct, you have the spring & fall Grand Rod Run, hotel rates will go from $50 night to $250 night, IF YOU CAN FIND ROOM! Then you have Shades of the Past the weekend before the fall Grand, and theres a Chevelle, Nova, Camaro show, Truckin type shows, the F100 Truck meet, etc, etc.)
5. You want to stay away from the "east side" of K-town, BAD area, crime & shootins and crap, same with NW side of Chattanooga, like Red Bank area & anywheres around Memphis.
6. Nashville is HIGH COL, you know why!

I can tell ya more, but PM me if ya got any ???'s and I'll answer best I can!
Lol Rain is no big deal to me, I grew up in Washington, it rains 185 days a year. That's all good stuff to know, and truck and car shows are my life lol. Thanks again guys
__________________
97 Ranger - 4.0 V6 auto, 4wd, 31x10.5x15s Wild Country XTX Sport All Terrains, Warn locking hubs, Pioneer deck with iPod attachment, Snugtop Topper, K&N filter, scan gauge II, Hella 500 Lights, More parts coming, waiting for the paycheck to get bigger!

Truck built in loving memory of Norm Howard
Outcast Racing
PNW Crew!!!
Afterhours Clan!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_ariens View Post
I think Henry just shit himself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radness View Post
Its kind of like that carnival game "Whack A Mole" but with guns! Haha
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-29-2010, 09:52 PM
richarddhoward richarddhoward is offline
Road Trippin' King!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,010
Send a message via MSN to richarddhoward
Default Re: Tennessee questions

bump
__________________
97 Ranger - 4.0 V6 auto, 4wd, 31x10.5x15s Wild Country XTX Sport All Terrains, Warn locking hubs, Pioneer deck with iPod attachment, Snugtop Topper, K&N filter, scan gauge II, Hella 500 Lights, More parts coming, waiting for the paycheck to get bigger!

Truck built in loving memory of Norm Howard
Outcast Racing
PNW Crew!!!
Afterhours Clan!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_ariens View Post
I think Henry just shit himself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radness View Post
Its kind of like that carnival game "Whack A Mole" but with guns! Haha
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-30-2010, 09:12 AM
trucks423 trucks423 is offline
i wanna be lower
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 170
Send a message via AIM to trucks423
Default Re: Tennessee questions

lots of good hunting and fishing. lol. gas is around 2.70 in my neck of the woods. pollen does get bad in the spring. late summer can be blazing hot. not much snow in the winter, most snow is after the new year tho. there are alot of car shows and cruise ins around the area.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Deer fear me.
2000 SuperCab, lowered 4/6, 5.0 swap in progress
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-30-2010, 09:22 AM
chaserx chaserx is offline
Ford Truck Driver
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 77
Default Re: Tennessee questions

sales Tax is almost 10%. I moved to Tennessee in 93 from Utah and I love it here. I have a motorcycle that I love to get on and just ride the area is beautiful. Middle TN has some ORV parks.....wheelin in the country and one other that I can not remember the name. I love the country life! A traffic jam is 3 cars behind a tractor....
__________________
2002 2wd Edge
3.0 v6
Auto

If you make it.....I can break it.....
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-30-2010, 10:01 AM
richarddhoward richarddhoward is offline
Road Trippin' King!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,010
Send a message via MSN to richarddhoward
Default Re: Tennessee questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaserx View Post
sales Tax is almost 10%. I moved to Tennessee in 93 from Utah and I love it here. I have a motorcycle that I love to get on and just ride the area is beautiful. Middle TN has some ORV parks.....wheelin in the country and one other that I can not remember the name. I love the country life! A traffic jam is 3 cars behind a tractor....
I'm used to sales tax, WA is 9%. Is there a state income tax too?

And do they have any stupid laws that I will be sure to follow...if I'm caught lol

Car shows and wheeling are a must for me so I'm excited for that. And if I get a motorcycle like I want then I'll be up for riding it all the time lol
__________________
97 Ranger - 4.0 V6 auto, 4wd, 31x10.5x15s Wild Country XTX Sport All Terrains, Warn locking hubs, Pioneer deck with iPod attachment, Snugtop Topper, K&N filter, scan gauge II, Hella 500 Lights, More parts coming, waiting for the paycheck to get bigger!

Truck built in loving memory of Norm Howard
Outcast Racing
PNW Crew!!!
Afterhours Clan!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_ariens View Post
I think Henry just shit himself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radness View Post
Its kind of like that carnival game "Whack A Mole" but with guns! Haha
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-30-2010, 10:13 AM
chaserx chaserx is offline
Ford Truck Driver
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 77
Default Re: Tennessee questions

no state income tax that I know of. In Bells, TN it is against the law to throw snowballs at trees. haha so dont do it.
__________________
2002 2wd Edge
3.0 v6
Auto

If you make it.....I can break it.....
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-30-2010, 10:15 AM
richarddhoward richarddhoward is offline
Road Trippin' King!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,010
Send a message via MSN to richarddhoward
Default Re: Tennessee questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaserx View Post
no state income tax that I know of. In Bells, TN it is against the law to throw snowballs at trees. haha so dont do it.
Wtf? That's a hippy law!!!

Montana has state income tax!! It BLOWS!!! So I'd be perfectly happy to NOT have a state income tax ever again lol What kind of Bike do you have?
__________________
97 Ranger - 4.0 V6 auto, 4wd, 31x10.5x15s Wild Country XTX Sport All Terrains, Warn locking hubs, Pioneer deck with iPod attachment, Snugtop Topper, K&N filter, scan gauge II, Hella 500 Lights, More parts coming, waiting for the paycheck to get bigger!

Truck built in loving memory of Norm Howard
Outcast Racing
PNW Crew!!!
Afterhours Clan!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_ariens View Post
I think Henry just shit himself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radness View Post
Its kind of like that carnival game "Whack A Mole" but with guns! Haha
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-30-2010, 10:19 AM
chaserx chaserx is offline
Ford Truck Driver
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 77
Default Re: Tennessee questions

a 06 Suzuki GSXR600
__________________
2002 2wd Edge
3.0 v6
Auto

If you make it.....I can break it.....
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-30-2010, 10:34 AM
richarddhoward richarddhoward is offline
Road Trippin' King!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,010
Send a message via MSN to richarddhoward
Default Re: Tennessee questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaserx View Post
a 06 Suzuki GSXR600
Mmm GSXR are one of my fav, I'm looking at a Kaw though lol The Versys
__________________
97 Ranger - 4.0 V6 auto, 4wd, 31x10.5x15s Wild Country XTX Sport All Terrains, Warn locking hubs, Pioneer deck with iPod attachment, Snugtop Topper, K&N filter, scan gauge II, Hella 500 Lights, More parts coming, waiting for the paycheck to get bigger!

Truck built in loving memory of Norm Howard
Outcast Racing
PNW Crew!!!
Afterhours Clan!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_ariens View Post
I think Henry just shit himself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radness View Post
Its kind of like that carnival game "Whack A Mole" but with guns! Haha
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new from Tennessee chaserx Introduce Yourself 17 04-06-2010 12:18 AM
Just a Hey from Tennessee larrysfixit Introduce Yourself 7 02-18-2010 04:27 PM
Hailing from Tennessee Feellnfroggy Introduce Yourself 11 02-05-2010 07:06 AM
New member from Tennessee 00RedRanger Introduce Yourself 7 01-30-2010 11:58 PM
howdy from tennessee captain ramrod Introduce Yourself 3 07-15-2009 12:57 PM