Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #16  
Old 06-07-2017, 03:12 PM
cowboybilly9mile cowboybilly9mile is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,900
Default Re: S L O W! Windows 10 Any Advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C. of Indiana View Post
Bill it was new in box. Alt-CTRL-Delete correct? Bill you saved my bacon on that rear bumper I bought,I needed the model with the re-enforcement separate. Thanks for your help on that.
Typically it's ctrl-alt-del in windows, then use task manager to evaluate what is going on. In the case of your machine, look for bloatware, one of my peeves with off the shelf 'puters. You probably knwo this but for piece of mind, if you're changing something and not quite sure about the outcome, create a restore point ahead of time.

*Glad the rear bumper deal worked out well, I'm very happy to hear this!!!
__________________
2004 Ranger FX4 Level II, 5R55E, Sonic Blue Pearl

Proudly JAP/RICE free since March 2000
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-07-2017, 03:21 PM
Bob C. of Indiana Bob C. of Indiana is offline
Older Than Dirt !
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5,095
Default Re: S L O W! Windows 10 Any Advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboybilly9mile View Post
Typically it's ctrl-alt-del in windows, then use task manager to evaluate what is going on. In the case of your machine, look for bloatware, one of my peeves with off the shelf 'puters. You probably knwo this but for piece of mind, if you're changing something and not quite sure about the outcome, create a restore point ahead of time.

*Glad the rear bumper deal worked out well, I'm very happy to hear this!!!
Guess I have been lucky and careful in what I click,as I have never created a restore point.Wish O knew more about saving files as I lost years of important stuff when my Win 7 bellied up.DAMN!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-07-2017, 05:19 PM
cowboybilly9mile cowboybilly9mile is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,900
Default Re: S L O W! Windows 10 Any Advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C. of Indiana View Post
Guess I have been lucky and careful in what I click,as I have never created a restore point.Wish O knew more about saving files as I lost years of important stuff when my Win 7 bellied up.DAMN!
Along with doing monthly backups (dedicated backup if something is important), I run software called Hard Drive Sentinel. HDS monitors the SMART data on the hard drive, the result is detection and reporting of conditions that indicate a failing hard drive (for example, failing sectors) and presenting me with an alert. As much as it is nice having the health of the drive constantly monitored, it is still no replacement for a backup. Maybe look into an external drive for your backup, and/or if the data isn't sensitive, google (google drive, 15Gb for free) and others can let you store data "in the cloud", yes, your own personal could, and there is much free to low cost cloud storage out there.
__________________
2004 Ranger FX4 Level II, 5R55E, Sonic Blue Pearl

Proudly JAP/RICE free since March 2000
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-07-2017, 05:51 PM
Bob C. of Indiana Bob C. of Indiana is offline
Older Than Dirt !
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5,095
Default Re: S L O W! Windows 10 Any Advice?

Bill your 100% correct,I have no excuse except me being lazy and reading on how to properly save the files.I have a 50 TB WD hard drive just sitting there.Busy now with push mowers to repair and sale,when it gets cold I'll figure out saving my stuff.Good advice as usual,Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-07-2017, 06:05 PM
guell guell is offline
Chat ********* Overlord
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,618
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C. of Indiana View Post
Bill your 100% correct,I have no excuse except me being lazy and reading on how to properly save the files.I have a 50 TB WD hard drive just sitting there.Busy now with push mowers to repair and sale,when it gets cold I'll figure out saving my stuff.Good advice as usual,Thanks
50 tb? Ugh might want to look into that again. I'd slap a 500gb ssd in it and call it a day.

My surfacebook with win 10 has never been slow, in fact it's extremely fast
__________________
2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 DC 4x4
Ranger free since 4/14/14
1972 bmw 2002tii
1974 Kawasaki mc1m 90
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-07-2017, 06:18 PM
Bob C. of Indiana Bob C. of Indiana is offline
Older Than Dirt !
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5,095
Default Re: S L O W! Windows 10 Any Advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guell View Post
50 tb? Ugh might want to look into that again. I'd slap a 500gb ssd in it and call it a day.

My surfacebook with win 10 has never been slow, in fact it's extremely fast
I have a 50 TB Western Digital stand alone hard drive that I can off load to.When I get a moment, I'll go to the HP website and check out a ssd drive for my HP 15.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-07-2017, 06:33 PM
guell guell is offline
Chat ********* Overlord
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,618
Default Re: S L O W! Windows 10 Any Advice?

do you mean 5 terabyte? 50 tb is like a 7-8k dollar hard drive
__________________
2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 DC 4x4
Ranger free since 4/14/14
1972 bmw 2002tii
1974 Kawasaki mc1m 90
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-07-2017, 06:40 PM
Bob C. of Indiana Bob C. of Indiana is offline
Older Than Dirt !
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5,095
Default Re: S L O W! Windows 10 Any Advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guell View Post
do you mean 5 terabyte? 50 tb is like a 7-8k dollar hard drive
Your right Matt,it's a 1TB Western Digital,I looked it up by the part number.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-07-2017, 06:48 PM
guell guell is offline
Chat ********* Overlord
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,618
Default Re: S L O W! Windows 10 Any Advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C. of Indiana View Post
Your right Matt,it's a 1TB Western Digital,I looked it up by the part number.
its all good Bob! I did a double take when i saw the 50 lol
__________________
2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 DC 4x4
Ranger free since 4/14/14
1972 bmw 2002tii
1974 Kawasaki mc1m 90
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-07-2017, 06:51 PM
Bob C. of Indiana Bob C. of Indiana is offline
Older Than Dirt !
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5,095
Default Re: S L O W! Windows 10 Any Advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guell View Post
its all good Bob! I did a double take when i saw the 50 lol
I did too, when I seen the cost of a 50 TB?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-07-2017, 07:13 PM
JAMMANICA JAMMANICA is offline
Craigslist is awesome
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 494
Default Re: S L O W! Windows 10 Any Advice?

I've only seen 50T in 8T X 8 array. Seems like it would be 64T.

Would be sweet.

Samsung 850 EVO 500G FTW.
__________________
00 XLT 4WD XCSB 4.0 my new baby
00 XLT 2WD RCSB 5.0 swap in progress.
98 XLT 4WD XCSB 4.0 dead
99 EXPO donor motor for dead one and parts for the others.
97 Mountaineer stripped donor for 5.0 project and other things
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-08-2017, 08:48 AM
aroundincircles aroundincircles is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 318
Default Re: S L O W! Windows 10 Any Advice?

I HIGHLY recommend a WD My cloud: http://amzn.to/2r06LnW

They are easy to use, raided, and you can access your data when you're not at home.

I would NOT recommend a backup solution that is just a single drive. my dad just lost 20 years of data because he was using a little 2tb external drive and it died. It is costing him close to $2k for recovery. The WD can lose a whole drive and have No issues because its raided.
__________________
98 Mazda B4000 4x4 31" tires
Check out my off road youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/aicoffroadvideo
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-08-2017, 12:24 PM
Bob C. of Indiana Bob C. of Indiana is offline
Older Than Dirt !
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5,095
Default Re: S L O W! Windows 10 Any Advice?

Karl if I had a business yes, but that Cloud cost more than my laptop.Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-09-2017, 06:25 AM
guell guell is offline
Chat ********* Overlord
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,618
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C. of Indiana View Post
Karl if I had a business yes, but that Cloud cost more than my laptop.Thanks for your help!
I keep important​ stuff on a USB flash drive and multiple cloud storage accts. The actual programs etc. on the computer can be reinstalled if I have to wipe it clean.
__________________
2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 DC 4x4
Ranger free since 4/14/14
1972 bmw 2002tii
1974 Kawasaki mc1m 90

Last edited by guell; 06-09-2017 at 07:18 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-09-2017, 07:30 AM
Bob C. of Indiana Bob C. of Indiana is offline
Older Than Dirt !
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5,095
Default Re: S L O W! Windows 10 Any Advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guell View Post
I keep important​ stuff on a USB flash drive and multiple cloud storage accts. The actual programs etc. on the computer can be reinstalled if I have to wipe it clean.
Me too,that is what the 5000 TB hard drive is for.LOL! I thought Mozilla Thunderbird saved my important emails but part of them came back but most were lost.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windows not going up or down? bossranger425 Electrical Tech 5 07-23-2012 03:50 PM
I need some advice, all advice would be appreciated. rangercillo 3.0 Vulcan Tech 1 03-18-2012 06:04 AM
Windows johnnycal Cleaning and Detailing 11 07-30-2011 02:05 PM
I need some advice, all advice would be appreciated. Clinton Off Topic 31 02-19-2011 06:57 PM
83 Ranger 4x4 >> need diff upgrade advice & 2-4" suspen lift advice frankyb General Tech 0 12-21-2010 01:35 AM