Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #4891  
Old 11-20-2013, 05:53 PM
BeauJCope BeauJCope is offline
My 3.0 Is Wounded
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,319
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshquade View Post

LOL 5.0 conversion you'll be looking at around 4 grand for a decent one.
Guarantee I could get one for 2500, maybe less. There out there, just gotta find em. Plus after, you can scrap/sell everything off of the explorer/mountaineer and your old ranger motor and tranny you could sell. Make 1000 back

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD to your Potato 5S
__________________
1999 Ford Ranger 5.0 AWD
35x12.50x18.
Many more mods!
  #4892  
Old 11-20-2013, 05:55 PM
joshquade joshquade is offline
pod racer
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,486
Default Re: Minnesota

Remember 5.0 conversion consists of a tranny, computer, engine, rear end, wire harness, mounts, radiators probably.

I was going to do it but after counting up the costs of it I would have payed around 9400 total. 4300 for parts and the rest in labor because I don't have the tools to program a computer or time to wire it all up. There's a reason more people haven't done it... sorry to crush your dreams. If you want a bigger engine just do a simple rebuild on your truck for around 400 sell it for a nice price and buy a 4.0 then do a 4.0 stroker to bring it to like a 4.3
__________________
The lug nuts on my truck require more torque than your import makes.

Cummins fun but girls like the strokin

Last edited by joshquade; 11-20-2013 at 05:58 PM.
  #4893  
Old 11-20-2013, 05:58 PM
BeauJCope BeauJCope is offline
My 3.0 Is Wounded
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,319
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshquade View Post
Remember 5.0 conversion consists of a tranny, computer, engine, rear end, wire harness, mounts, radiators probably.

I was going to do it but after counting up the costs of it I would have payed around 9400 total. 4300 for parts and the rest in labor because I don't have the tools to program a computer or time to wire it all up.
I'd purchase the whole Explorer/Mercury and completely swap everything

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD to your Potato 5S
__________________
1999 Ford Ranger 5.0 AWD
35x12.50x18.
Many more mods!
  #4894  
Old 11-20-2013, 06:02 PM
joshquade joshquade is offline
pod racer
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,486
Default Re: Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauJCope View Post
I'd purchase the whole Explorer/Mercury and completely swap everything

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD to your Potato 5S
Good luck fine sir I will applaud you when you're done and say god damn it mary me you crazy coon! You must have the patience of a sloth to do something that big!

----------

http://www.moranav6racing.com/catego...?CategoryID=36 run his stroker kit on your engine with a 50 shot of nos and the m60 supercharger and you'll smoke anything on the streets or through the mud holes.
__________________
The lug nuts on my truck require more torque than your import makes.

Cummins fun but girls like the strokin
  #4895  
Old 11-20-2013, 06:05 PM
BeauJCope BeauJCope is offline
My 3.0 Is Wounded
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,319
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshquade View Post

Good luck fine sir I will applaud you when you're done and say god damn it mary me you crazy coon! You must have the patience of a sloth to do something that big!
My brother in laws a huge gear monkey. He can tear a vehicle to the frame and put it back together in probably 2 or 3 weeks. He definitely knows his stuff Lol. He's swapped many engines before. He said he'd be able to help me when he has time off from work. He has the tools and space.
I've been told on the forum before from others who have swapped same year explorer engines into their rangers that it took them about a week.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD to your Potato 5S
__________________
1999 Ford Ranger 5.0 AWD
35x12.50x18.
Many more mods!
  #4896  
Old 11-20-2013, 06:07 PM
joshquade joshquade is offline
pod racer
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,486
Default Re: Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauJCope View Post
My brother in laws a huge gear monkey. He can tear a vehicle to the frame and put it back together in probably 2 or 3 weeks. He definitely knows his stuff Lol. He's swapped many engines before. He said he'd be able to help me when he has time off from work. He has the tools and space.
I've been told on the forum before from others who have swapped same year explorer engines into their rangers that it took them about a week.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD to your Potato 5S
The only question I'd have is computer programming for it. It's possible but it is a beast of a job. Why do you want the 5.0 in the ranger?
__________________
The lug nuts on my truck require more torque than your import makes.

Cummins fun but girls like the strokin
  #4897  
Old 11-20-2013, 06:14 PM
BeauJCope BeauJCope is offline
My 3.0 Is Wounded
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,319
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshquade View Post

The only question I'd have is computer programming for it. It's possible but it is a beast of a job. Why do you want the 5.0 in the ranger?
Swap the computer.
But, me and a buddy of mine are always hauling stuff in the summer, scrap, wood, parts, boats , etc. We usually use my ranger since the gas mileage is better than his 79 ranger with 37's and his 88 f150 with 35's. And his grand Prix, well... no space. But my truck lacks the power to tow a nice amount of things without hurting itself. Not saying you can tow a nice amount with the 3.0, but it could be better. But also a 5.0 to have a v8... in a ranger.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD to your Potato 5S
__________________
1999 Ford Ranger 5.0 AWD
35x12.50x18.
Many more mods!
  #4898  
Old 11-20-2013, 06:19 PM
joshquade joshquade is offline
pod racer
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,486
Default Re: Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauJCope View Post
Swap the computer.
But, me and a buddy of mine are always hauling stuff in the summer, scrap, wood, parts, boats , etc. We usually use my ranger since the gas mileage is better than his 79 ranger with 37's and his 88 f150 with 35's. And his grand Prix, well... no space. But my truck lacks the power to tow a nice amount of things without hurting itself. Not saying you can tow a nice amount with the 3.0, but it could be better. But also a 5.0 to have a v8... in a ranger.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD to your Potato 5S
Aww just trying to get a feel of what you wanted out of an engine. Maybe you need this.... http://f650pickups.com/blue-flames-extreme.html
__________________
The lug nuts on my truck require more torque than your import makes.

Cummins fun but girls like the strokin
  #4899  
Old 11-20-2013, 06:19 PM
gcextreme gcextreme is offline
Sept. TOTM
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 12,248
Default Re: Minnesota

You just swap the wire harness and computer, your ranger will think its an explorer when u hook up a code reader to it.
Everything is 99% bolt in...the issue u will have is with the t-case and 4wd - AWD. Explorers are AWD....you can get a manual t-case and put it in and put a hole in your floor for the stick, thats what geterdone52 did..

his project log:
http://www.fordrangerforum.com/proje...my-98-a-6.html


Quote:
Originally Posted by getrdone52 View Post
Well I had the motor put in by another ranger enthusiast because I don't have the time to do it my self. It turned out great and just needs a few tweaks before its 100% done but it is running and driving!

Started as a 1998 3.0L 5 speed BW1354m then put in a 2000 Explorer 5.0L 4r70w 4406m, added PATS, swapped to auto pedals, added Explorer column, Explorer tachometer, Explorer bezel, tilt steering wheel, cruise control, and the 4x4 lights work.

Sorry don't know why the pics are messed up but I'm too lazy to fix it right now...

Engine bay all cleaned up and ready for 5.0




5.0 all taken apart





Had to drill a hole in the motor mount 3/8" inch to the right so the T-Case didn't hit the gas tank.


Motor bolted in





Radiator is tight!


Tranny cooler added


4406 manual shift from a 2003 F-150 4.6L


T-Case in



The linkage is from a 99 F-150. This is what bolts to the tranny.



Shafts are from a 98 Expedition. One from an F-150 will work as well. The rear had to be shortened, I think two inches but don't remember exactly.



T-Case shifter and boot. I'm going to get an Explorer center console and cover that hole. (Sorry about the crappy pic)


Dash taken apart


Old and new steering column


New column with cruise control buttons in


All put together


And the finished product
__________________
1999 Ranger 3.0FFV-ExtCab-4x4-My 99 Build
1998 Ranger 3.0-ExtCab-4x4-PROJECT TRUCK-My 98 Build

GC-EXTREME GRAPHICS
NEED CUSTOM DECALS, APPAREL, or GLASS MUGS?
Visit My Thread!
Custom Stuff, Great Quality, & Great Prices!
These Graphics ROCK!

Buggman LEDS & GC-Extreme Graphics Joint Venture Mod Products Coming Soon!
Are you READY?!
  #4900  
Old 11-20-2013, 06:21 PM
joshquade joshquade is offline
pod racer
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,486
Default Re: Minnesota

Hi glen
__________________
The lug nuts on my truck require more torque than your import makes.

Cummins fun but girls like the strokin
  #4901  
Old 11-20-2013, 06:24 PM
gcextreme gcextreme is offline
Sept. TOTM
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 12,248
Default Re: Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshquade View Post
Hi glen
hi josh!
__________________
1999 Ranger 3.0FFV-ExtCab-4x4-My 99 Build
1998 Ranger 3.0-ExtCab-4x4-PROJECT TRUCK-My 98 Build

GC-EXTREME GRAPHICS
NEED CUSTOM DECALS, APPAREL, or GLASS MUGS?
Visit My Thread!
Custom Stuff, Great Quality, & Great Prices!
These Graphics ROCK!

Buggman LEDS & GC-Extreme Graphics Joint Venture Mod Products Coming Soon!
Are you READY?!
  #4902  
Old 11-20-2013, 06:25 PM
BeauJCope BeauJCope is offline
My 3.0 Is Wounded
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,319
Default

Lol.
But but from what I've heard, like Glenn stated above, its a 99% bolt in swap. And other than the things you may have to do, like again Glenn stated above, is 1 motor mount may be different. People that have done it before say if they did it again, they could complete it in a weekend.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD to your Potato 5S
__________________
1999 Ford Ranger 5.0 AWD
35x12.50x18.
Many more mods!
  #4903  
Old 11-20-2013, 06:28 PM
joshquade joshquade is offline
pod racer
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,486
Default Re: Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcextreme View Post
hi josh!
How you been with the graphics bidinizz?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauJCope View Post
Lol.
But but from what I've heard, like Glenn stated above, its a 99% bolt in swap. And other than the things you may have to do, like again Glenn stated above, is 1 motor mount may be different. People that have done it before say if they did it again, they could complete it in a weekend.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD to your Potato 5S
Now you're making me want one... Bad Beau!!!
__________________
The lug nuts on my truck require more torque than your import makes.

Cummins fun but girls like the strokin
  #4904  
Old 11-20-2013, 06:29 PM
gcextreme gcextreme is offline
Sept. TOTM
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 12,248
Default Re: Minnesota

yeah bu i think bolting it in would be easy, the hard part is doing all the wire/hose hookups..from the engine and tranny...
i dont think one person could do it all in a weekend, not without help, and without working 15 hours a day..
maybe if they already had their engine out, and everything on the new engine tranny and tcase prepped..but that would take some time to do before hand.
__________________
1999 Ranger 3.0FFV-ExtCab-4x4-My 99 Build
1998 Ranger 3.0-ExtCab-4x4-PROJECT TRUCK-My 98 Build

GC-EXTREME GRAPHICS
NEED CUSTOM DECALS, APPAREL, or GLASS MUGS?
Visit My Thread!
Custom Stuff, Great Quality, & Great Prices!
These Graphics ROCK!

Buggman LEDS & GC-Extreme Graphics Joint Venture Mod Products Coming Soon!
Are you READY?!
  #4905  
Old 11-20-2013, 06:29 PM
BeauJCope BeauJCope is offline
My 3.0 Is Wounded
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,319
Default

When you said it was a beast job, I wanted to know where you get your weed? I want some of dat good good. Ja feel homie? Lol jk

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD to your Potato 5S
__________________
1999 Ford Ranger 5.0 AWD
35x12.50x18.
Many more mods!
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Minnesota Newbie loxmo Introduce Yourself 6 05-15-2011 06:16 AM
From Duluth Minnesota!! DeeDirta Introduce Yourself 10 04-08-2011 03:20 AM
hello from Minnesota! muddyranger Introduce Yourself 6 12-24-2009 10:15 AM
Rebel in Minnesota rebel Introduce Yourself 2 06-02-2009 12:14 PM