Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 02-15-2010, 11:53 PM
stephen.g.fiddes stephen.g.fiddes is offline
Next-best to Chuck Norris
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 795
Default Torsion Bar Level/Lift

I've been reading the threads on torsion bar lifts, and here is what I got from it...

--Don't lift more than 1-2" from factory specs, or CV and BJ will wear out.

--If I stay under the 2" mark, then my CV joint and BJ's will be fine, just have a slightly rougher ride. (who cares??? Humvees are worse... on smooth ground...)

Is this correct so far?




Also, instead of using an "add-a-leaf" or something like that, could i just slap a steel spacer between the leafs and rear-end to get the desired results? or would that be too unstable?

How much added stress do wheel spacers put on the axle?

How long would it be before my T-Bars sagged back down? (truck has 106,xxx miles on it)

What is the heaviest T-bar I can put in and where can I get it cheap?

If I need to replace the shocks (we'll see what the mechanic says), should I get longer ones, and what brand? Reservoir or not?

I am on a budget here, but if I have to get new parts, I'm putting quality ones in that aren't going to break as soon as I get it off the hardball.

Thanks a bunch!
__________________
Schwinn Super-Sport, Nikon D90 ROLLED: 2001 Ford Ranger XLT Super Cab 4X4MODS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourliter Dan View Post
and as for boobs, as long as the cant hold up a book with sag, pointed in the right direction and not peperoni or canadian bacon nips were good to go!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 View Post
ok...i'll just come out and say it... you got's an auto. That alone revokes your right to brag about being part of the elite Level II's! Take that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton View Post
Oh come on....every girl likes pink....even Demon
Buy my pictures at Imagekind!

Last edited by stephen.g.fiddes; 02-15-2010 at 11:55 PM. Reason: ease of reading/ organization
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-16-2010, 09:42 AM
RangerJustin RangerJustin is offline
~+!)@(#*$&%^
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,033
Send a message via AIM to RangerJustin Send a message via Skype™ to RangerJustin
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen.g.fiddes View Post
I've been reading the threads on torsion bar lifts, and here is what I got from it...

--Don't lift more than 1-2" from factory specs, or CV and BJ will wear out.

--If I stay under the 2" mark, then my CV joint and BJ's will be fine, just have a slightly rougher ride. (who cares??? Humvees are worse... on smooth ground...)

Is this correct so far?
Yep.
Quote:
Also, instead of using an "add-a-leaf" or something like that, could i just slap a steel spacer between the leafs and rear-end to get the desired results? or would that be too unstable?
You already have blocks. You could do a shackle which is easier to install. But your rear will probably be higher than the front. p/n is beltech 6400, it will be labeled as a chevy drop shackle, but will lift our Ranger.
Quote:
How much added stress do wheel spacers put on the axle?
Depends how much of a spacer. But I would suggest finding a wheel with the backspacing you desire.
Quote:
How long would it be before my T-Bars sagged back down? (truck has 106,xxx miles on it)
Probably not too long...
Quote:
What is the heaviest T-bar I can put in and where can I get it cheap?
#1 bars from a Level II Ranger. I believe you would need a VIN from a Level II and best bet is to just to to Ford. Someone else will probably have more info on that for you.
Quote:
If I need to replace the shocks (we'll see what the mechanic says), should I get longer ones, and what brand? Reservoir or not?
Stock length should be fine for the front. The rear you may want a longer one, but not sure if you would absolutely need it. Bilstein is usually highly recommended. The type is all dependent on how much you want to spend.
__________________
Sold:2004 XLT 4x2 Ext. Cab. 3.0 Mods: 3" spindle, AAL, shackle, 32x11.5 on 15x8s, billet grille, clear corners, flow 40 dumped, line-x, CB/PA, traction bars, lil sound system, auto up down windows
Sold:2005 XLT 4x4 Ext. Cab. 4.0 Mods: ProComp lights w/ HID swap on tabs, 32x11.5 on 15x8s, CB/PA, black out heads/corners, lil sound system, cranked t-bars, flow 40 dumped, line-x, shell, bed rug, 06+ tails, metal tail gate handle since plastic one shattered, OHC, Mustang Dome.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-16-2010, 02:54 PM
stephen.g.fiddes stephen.g.fiddes is offline
Next-best to Chuck Norris
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 795
Default

Thanks a bunch! I got the shock absorbers today (Napa only had their version of the OEM replacements, which are better than the OEM, but not nearly as good as te higher quality ones, but it'll keep the truck going.) I'll be picking up the shackles tonight assuming Baxters or Napa has them. Just did the measurements and preview with a jack, it looks way more badass with the extra height. I'll probably invest in a better T-bar in the future.
__________________
Schwinn Super-Sport, Nikon D90 ROLLED: 2001 Ford Ranger XLT Super Cab 4X4MODS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourliter Dan View Post
and as for boobs, as long as the cant hold up a book with sag, pointed in the right direction and not peperoni or canadian bacon nips were good to go!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 View Post
ok...i'll just come out and say it... you got's an auto. That alone revokes your right to brag about being part of the elite Level II's! Take that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton View Post
Oh come on....every girl likes pink....even Demon
Buy my pictures at Imagekind!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-16-2010, 03:00 PM
STL STL is offline
...............

 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 23,398
Default

Make sure to have your alignment checked

Here's the part numbers for the #1 bars:
F67Z-5B326-FA Pass side
F67Z-5B326-FB Driver side

The #1 bars are vin number based in ford's computer, so if you provide them with your number, they'll give you what ever bars u have now

1FTZR45E93TA36975 2003 Level II

1FTZR45E15PA29417 2005 Level II
__________________
2005 Edge


Last edited by STL; 02-16-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-17-2010, 01:14 AM
stephen.g.fiddes stephen.g.fiddes is offline
Next-best to Chuck Norris
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 795
Default

Well, baxters or napa couldnt get them in for 10 days, so the rear lift is going to have to wait till i can afford new torsion bars. However, i am still going to bring the nose up a bit, and the shocks are going on tomorrow. Pix to come after its all completed.
__________________
Schwinn Super-Sport, Nikon D90 ROLLED: 2001 Ford Ranger XLT Super Cab 4X4MODS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourliter Dan View Post
and as for boobs, as long as the cant hold up a book with sag, pointed in the right direction and not peperoni or canadian bacon nips were good to go!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 View Post
ok...i'll just come out and say it... you got's an auto. That alone revokes your right to brag about being part of the elite Level II's! Take that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton View Post
Oh come on....every girl likes pink....even Demon
Buy my pictures at Imagekind!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Torsion Lift Keys ??? RoadDawg Lifted Suspension 34 03-31-2012 06:03 PM
torsion bar lift big green Lifted Suspension 8 02-29-2012 05:40 PM
lift with 33/12.50 an torsion key kris87 Lifted Suspension 9 10-11-2011 05:10 AM
How-to: 02-04 Level II Tow hook modification for Body Lift. STL Exterior Guides 0 02-09-2010 04:48 PM
06 4x4 torsion bar lift Twisty Suspension Tech 3 06-27-2009 09:40 AM