Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 08-19-2017, 12:28 PM
mike correll mike correll is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 6
Default Ranger 2 in. lift alignment problems?

I have a 1994 Ranger XLT 4x4. Last winter, I put some 2 inch lift blocks under the coil springs to level out the truck. It resulted in some severe positive camber. I took it to get aligned a few days later. When I picked it up, the technician told me that it's aligned, but the truck now "pulls to the right" and he claimed he couldn't make an adjustment to eliminate it, due to the coil spring spacers. I got used to the fact that it pulled to the right when driving. I would just have to hold the wheel straight. A few months down the road, I noticed that my tires were wearing very unevenly. By the time I got 2 new tires, the old ones were completely bald on the inside, and barely worn on the outside. So I got 2 new tires put on, and had it aligned once again at a different shop. They rotated the tires so the old rear ones were now on the front. The technician at this shop told me that they " got it as close as they could." Immediately I noticed that the truck still pulled to the right when being driven. To this day, it still pulls to the right and I'm getting tired of it. My tires are also still not wearing evenly. Even when you look closely at the front of the truck, you can tell that something is just not right with the alignment.

I've read that when the height of a vehicle is altered, it should be fitted with different camber bushings to allow for more adjustment. I have a feeling that I might need these to correct the camber, but my question is, what kind do I have to get and where can I find them? If that is the case, I don't understand why the alignment shops didn't just install them and charge me.
Also, my Ranger has 31x10.5x15 tires all the way around. They are obviously not the size meant to be on this truck. Could these over-sized tires also be causing alignment issues? If anyone can help me out, it would be greatly appreicated. Thanks for taking time out of your day to read this.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-19-2017, 12:37 PM
johnday johnday is offline
Useless olde guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,226
Default Re: Ranger 2 in. lift alignment problems?

Hold on a second, does it "pull" or "drift"? In other words, when you take your hands off the wheel, does it slowly "pull" to the right, or immediately jerk to the right.
If it drifts, and by the way you described the tire wear, I'd suspect the toe in is incorrect.
If it is actually pulling, it could be the camber, there are adjustable camber bolts made for our Rangers. Not overly expensive, about $50 IIRC.
__________________
'04 Edge, Scab/flareside, 2wd, 3.0, 5 speed, 4:10 open. Billet grille, Raceline Raptor black wheels, 265/75/16 DuraTracs. Tbar crank, AAL. Fox shocks, Thrush welded SI/DO swept back side exit. Morimoto projectors, '06 tails and power mirrors. LEDs all the way around. Blacked out fender badge. Access Limited rollup tonneau. 5% tint on back three windows. Airbox mod, FWIW. And a Border Collie that likes it too!!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-19-2017, 02:02 PM
Undrstm8ed Undrstm8ed is offline
Habenae Est Dominatus
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,247
Default Re: Ranger 2 in. lift alignment problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnday View Post
Hold on a second, does it "pull" or "drift"? In other words, when you take your hands off the wheel, does it slowly "pull" to the right, or immediately jerk to the right.
If it drifts, and by the way you described the tire wear, I'd suspect the toe in is incorrect.
If it is actually pulling, it could be the camber, there are adjustable camber bolts made for our Rangers. Not overly expensive, about $50 IIRC.
Hold on, you cant always use that. For example. In Michigan or Ohio, where the roads are flat BECAUSE the sewer system is integrated under ground you can get away with that trick. But anywhere like California or even here in Nevada, Arizona where 90% of the sewer system to carry rain water is exposed you have domed roads and the wider they are the worse chance of getting an inaccurate feel or assumption.

Obviously if the wheel was to pull to a particular side ridiculously i cant fully argue thats not a vehicle issue and that method would be a half-assed assertion in being correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike correll View Post
I have a 1994 Ranger XLT 4x4. Last winter, I put some 2 inch lift blocks under the coil springs to level out the truck. It resulted in some severe positive camber. I took it to get aligned a few days later. When I picked it up, the technician told me that it's aligned, but the truck now "pulls to the right" and he claimed he couldn't make an adjustment to eliminate it, due to the coil spring spacers. I got used to the fact that it pulled to the right when driving. I would just have to hold the wheel straight. A few months down the road, I noticed that my tires were wearing very unevenly. By the time I got 2 new tires, the old ones were completely bald on the inside, and barely worn on the outside. So I got 2 new tires put on, and had it aligned once again at a different shop. They rotated the tires so the old rear ones were now on the front. The technician at this shop told me that they " got it as close as they could." Immediately I noticed that the truck still pulled to the right when being driven. To this day, it still pulls to the right and I'm getting tired of it. My tires are also still not wearing evenly. Even when you look closely at the front of the truck, you can tell that something is just not right with the alignment.

I've read that when the height of a vehicle is altered, it should be fitted with different camber bushings to allow for more adjustment. I have a feeling that I might need these to correct the camber, but my question is, what kind do I have to get and where can I find them? If that is the case, I don't understand why the alignment shops didn't just install them and charge me.
Also, my Ranger has 31x10.5x15 tires all the way around. They are obviously not the size meant to be on this truck. Could these over-sized tires also be causing alignment issues? If anyone can help me out, it would be greatly appreicated. Thanks for taking time out of your day to read this.
Ive got the same setup currently on my 93', Daystar coil risers. First thing is you need to get as Johnday stated is get the proper eccentrics.

Front; Adjustment Range: Camber/Caster 2.50
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....137989&jsn=613

Front; Adjustment Range: Camber/Caster 3.00
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....137989&jsn=612

Then I would highly, HIGHLY recommend calling around various Alignment shops/tire centers and find someone who has that OLD guy that knows Ford TIB/TTB suspensions, and find THAT guy to do your work.

I have a Master Mechanic guy that does my alignments, not only do I have a lifetime alignment contract with that company because this Ford Guy is completely anal about his work and reputation.. I would drive the 4.5 Hrs BACK into Cali to have him do the work before letting anyone else I know touch my truck. That's how much I trust that guys work.

You need a similar guy..

At 2.00" +/- of a lift/leveling kit you can dial that in perfect if all your upper & lower ball joints, bushings, tie rod ends, are in good order..

----------

Also make sure that you rotate your tires often, every 5000-6000 miles is what I rotated my DynaPro MT's and I got 40K out of them so far with great wear. Most I've ever gotten out of any tires to be honest.. When the majority of your cars are track ready or capable, A032 and RT615's dont last too long on the street.
__________________
"Your right, there is no "I" in Team But there sure is in Independence, Individuality, and Integrity.."

- 93' Ranger, Overland Build thread http://www.fordrangerforum.com/proje...ing-build.html
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-19-2017, 02:16 PM
johnday johnday is offline
Useless olde guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,226
Default Re: Ranger 2 in. lift alignment problems?

LOL, ya, our roads up here are pretty flat for the most part, side to side, that is.
__________________
'04 Edge, Scab/flareside, 2wd, 3.0, 5 speed, 4:10 open. Billet grille, Raceline Raptor black wheels, 265/75/16 DuraTracs. Tbar crank, AAL. Fox shocks, Thrush welded SI/DO swept back side exit. Morimoto projectors, '06 tails and power mirrors. LEDs all the way around. Blacked out fender badge. Access Limited rollup tonneau. 5% tint on back three windows. Airbox mod, FWIW. And a Border Collie that likes it too!!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-19-2017, 02:42 PM
Undrstm8ed Undrstm8ed is offline
Habenae Est Dominatus
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,247
Default Re: Ranger 2 in. lift alignment problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnday View Post
LOL, ya, our roads up here are pretty flat for the most part, side to side, that is.
Yea, I was born in Orange, CA but was raised South of Detroit.. All to familiar with Michigan roads.. Its why the SUV was born. haha

But dont let the media fool you, Cali roads are far from better despite fucking everyone in the ass at the gas pumps like a bucket of dish soap.. And yet another hike at the pumps AND a $25-175 increase of registration just got passed by the Bureaucratic dipshits running that STATE into the ground.

Absolutely worst political, racial, and business climate I have ever witnessed is Kalifornistan. The Detroit riots were like a pizza party at chucky cheese when it comes to racial tensions there.
__________________
"Your right, there is no "I" in Team But there sure is in Independence, Individuality, and Integrity.."

- 93' Ranger, Overland Build thread http://www.fordrangerforum.com/proje...ing-build.html
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-19-2017, 02:54 PM
johnday johnday is offline
Useless olde guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,226
Default Re: Ranger 2 in. lift alignment problems?

Raised south of Duhtroit? Where? My wife and I are both from Monroe, I lived there for 50 years, she lives in Garbage City now, and lucky me, I'm 200 miles north of there. I keep telling her to keep a bugout bag handy, with the way the environment is there, as well as D.C., she might just need to move fast.
California is a beautiful place, but ya, it's only nice to visit.
I always thought the real Michigan doesn't start until you hit Bay City and north. Total world of difference.
Sounds like you recall the riots in '67, that would make us pretty close to the same age.
__________________
'04 Edge, Scab/flareside, 2wd, 3.0, 5 speed, 4:10 open. Billet grille, Raceline Raptor black wheels, 265/75/16 DuraTracs. Tbar crank, AAL. Fox shocks, Thrush welded SI/DO swept back side exit. Morimoto projectors, '06 tails and power mirrors. LEDs all the way around. Blacked out fender badge. Access Limited rollup tonneau. 5% tint on back three windows. Airbox mod, FWIW. And a Border Collie that likes it too!!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-19-2017, 04:24 PM
mike correll mike correll is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 6
Default Re: Ranger 2 in. lift alignment problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undrstm8ed View Post
Hold on, you cant always use that. For example. In Michigan or Ohio, where the roads are flat BECAUSE the sewer system is integrated under ground you can get away with that trick. But anywhere like California or even here in Nevada, Arizona where 90% of the sewer system to carry rain water is exposed you have domed roads and the wider they are the worse chance of getting an inaccurate feel or assumption.

Obviously if the wheel was to pull to a particular side ridiculously i cant fully argue thats not a vehicle issue and that method would be a half-assed assertion in being correct.



Ive got the same setup currently on my 93', Daystar coil risers. First thing is you need to get as Johnday stated is get the proper eccentrics.

Front; Adjustment Range: Camber/Caster 2.50
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....137989&jsn=613

Front; Adjustment Range: Camber/Caster 3.00
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....137989&jsn=612

Then I would highly, HIGHLY recommend calling around various Alignment shops/tire centers and find someone who has that OLD guy that knows Ford TIB/TTB suspensions, and find THAT guy to do your work.

I have a Master Mechanic guy that does my alignments, not only do I have a lifetime alignment contract with that company because this Ford Guy is completely anal about his work and reputation.. I would drive the 4.5 Hrs BACK into Cali to have him do the work before letting anyone else I know touch my truck. That's how much I trust that guys work.

You need a similar guy..

At 2.00" +/- of a lift/leveling kit you can dial that in perfect if all your upper & lower ball joints, bushings, tie rod ends, are in good order..

----------

Also make sure that you rotate your tires often, every 5000-6000 miles is what I rotated my DynaPro MT's and I got 40K out of them so far with great wear. Most I've ever gotten out of any tires to be honest.. When the majority of your cars are track ready or capable, A032 and RT615's dont last too long on the street.
What is the difference between those two bushings?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-19-2017, 04:27 PM
Undrstm8ed Undrstm8ed is offline
Habenae Est Dominatus
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,247
Default Re: Ranger 2 in. lift alignment problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike correll View Post
What is the difference between those two bushings?

Adjustability one allows up to 2.50 the other upto 3.0
__________________
"Your right, there is no "I" in Team But there sure is in Independence, Individuality, and Integrity.."

- 93' Ranger, Overland Build thread http://www.fordrangerforum.com/proje...ing-build.html
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-19-2017, 04:28 PM
mike correll mike correll is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 6
Default Re: Ranger 2 in. lift alignment problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnday View Post
Hold on a second, does it "pull" or "drift"? In other words, when you take your hands off the wheel, does it slowly "pull" to the right, or immediately jerk to the right.
If it drifts, and by the way you described the tire wear, I'd suspect the toe in is incorrect.
If it is actually pulling, it could be the camber, there are adjustable camber bolts made for our Rangers. Not overly expensive, about $50 IIRC.
The toe is how far the each wheel sticks out horizontally right? When I look closely at the front of my truck, I could almost swear that the passenger side wheel sticks out further than the drivers side. The drivers side wheel also looks like it has some slight negative camber.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-19-2017, 04:37 PM
Undrstm8ed Undrstm8ed is offline
Habenae Est Dominatus
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,247
Default Re: Ranger 2 in. lift alignment problems?

Think of toe as if you were walking with your toes pointed inwards or outward. Pick a duck or a penguin lol

Camber would be your knees leaning inward or outward changing vertical correction.
__________________
"Your right, there is no "I" in Team But there sure is in Independence, Individuality, and Integrity.."

- 93' Ranger, Overland Build thread http://www.fordrangerforum.com/proje...ing-build.html
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-19-2017, 04:42 PM
mike correll mike correll is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 6
Default Re: Ranger 2 in. lift alignment problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undrstm8ed View Post
Think of toe as if you were walking with your toes pointed inwards or outward. Pick a duck or a penguin lol

Camber would be your knees leaning inward or outward changing vertical correction.
Gotcha. I think I'll order 2 of those 3 degree bushings... the 2.5 ones are out of stock. I would think that shops adjust the toe if it's off, along with camber or castor... but maybe I'm wrong?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-19-2017, 08:15 PM
Undrstm8ed Undrstm8ed is offline
Habenae Est Dominatus
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,247
Default Re: Ranger 2 in. lift alignment problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike correll View Post
Gotcha. I think I'll order 2 of those 3 degree bushings... the 2.5 ones are out of stock. I would think that shops adjust the toe if it's off, along with camber or castor... but maybe I'm wrong?
Nope, you are correct. And on our trucks they're just front wheel alignments.. there's nothing to adjusting the rears so don't let them pull one over on you and say they did a four wheel alignment..!
__________________
"Your right, there is no "I" in Team But there sure is in Independence, Individuality, and Integrity.."

- 93' Ranger, Overland Build thread http://www.fordrangerforum.com/proje...ing-build.html
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ranger 2010 Alignment problems..... Dantforth Suspension Tech 5 11-11-2016 12:46 PM
Any alignment problems with 3" drop coils Jrp79 Lowered Suspension 3 09-24-2016 04:05 PM
Alignment after lift DirtyDan Wheels and Tires 6 10-06-2014 08:37 AM
Tire Alignment Problems After accident ColinB2001 Drivetrain Tech 25 12-28-2012 04:04 PM
Alignment Needed After Lift Coils Put In? spudkilla224 Suspension Tech 4 06-29-2011 04:41 AM