Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 03-29-2010, 05:51 PM
abq02ranger abq02ranger is offline
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 48
Default Looking for some advice on some simple mods

ok excuse me for not having a sig with picture in it of the truck and all that jazz but for the record i've got an 02 bone stock (pretty sure) Fx4 sitting on BFG A/T obviously but i've got a few questions.

right off the bat, i know the truck needs a few minor things (spare tire and hoist, rear brakes, cat back, possibly tie rods, fluids etc) but im looking for some insight on cranking torsion rods and putting 33 10.5s on instead of the 31 10.5s.

i dont want to max the torsion rods to spare the CV joints but enough (probably 1.5"?) to level out the front and fit the 33s. when i called around to get shop opinions on cranking t-rods they said that i will obviously need an alignment but also most likely camber adjustment, said something about cam bolts... can someone elaborate on that or verify??
also, does anyone see any problem or downside in doing this, t-bar crank and 33s? probably not but just wondering...

secondly, with the 33 10.5s, will the truck fit a 33 inch spare underneath? if not then i'll probably bail on the 33 idea and stick with my 31s and the t-rod crank...

lastly, any other simple recommendations for a new Fx4 owner? traction bars? im really stoked on the truck but dont plan on doing anything too crazy but leveling it out, some nice tires and a solid off road ride is the plan.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-29-2010, 11:37 PM
Tom Tom is offline
Ranger Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,829
Default Re: Looking for some advice on some simple mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by abq02ranger View Post
i dont want to max the torsion rods to spare the CV joints but enough (probably 1.5"?) to level out the front and fit the 33s. when i called around to get shop opinions on cranking t-rods they said that i will obviously need an alignment but also most likely camber adjustment, said something about cam bolts... can someone elaborate on that or verify??
also, does anyone see any problem or downside in doing this, t-bar crank and 33s? probably not but just wondering...
Downside = faster wear and tear, rougher ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abq02ranger View Post
secondly, with the 33 10.5s, will the truck fit a 33 inch spare underneath? if not then i'll probably bail on the 33 idea and stick with my 31s and the t-rod crank...
Many say no, some say yes. IMHO, it depends on what you consider as "fitting." Also a hitch would probably make that a tighter fit.

I'm sure you can go to a tire shop and ask to test fit a 33 in the spare slot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abq02ranger View Post
lastly, any other simple recommendations for a new Fx4 owner? traction bars? im really stoked on the truck but dont plan on doing anything too crazy but leveling it out, some nice tires and a solid off road ride is the plan.
Traction bars are good for offroading, so many mod ideas, browse the forums.
__________________
2006 Ford Ranger Sport 4.0 2WD on 32x11.50R15s
-3" Doetsch Spindle Lift


Using the forum:
How to Post on the Forum
Creating a signature (do this before asking any questions)
Upload an Avatar (image of your Ranger)
How to Post Pictures on the Forum
Switch the site layout: Light Theme or Dark Theme

Things to do:
Participate in Truck of the Month
Participate in the Ranger Photo Contest
Participate in the Non-Automotive Photo Contest
Become a Site Contributor
Shop at the FordRangerForum.com Store
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-30-2010, 09:22 AM
abq02ranger abq02ranger is offline
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 48
Default Re: Looking for some advice on some simple mods

so for the faster wear and tear is there some threshold of cranking that would sort of limit that wear and tear but accommodate 33s as well? and what about the cam bolt thing? in the How To: Crank Torsion Bars and pretty much everywhere else on here it says that just an alignment is recommended, not even crucial. that being said i'd never consider not getting one but if it can mess up the front end camber up that much wouldn't that be pretty standard?

and ya i'll try the test mount of a 33, but first i need to find a hoist for the darn spare tire mount.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-31-2010, 03:43 PM
Tom Tom is offline
Ranger Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,829
Default Re: Looking for some advice on some simple mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by abq02ranger View Post
so for the faster wear and tear is there some threshold of cranking that would sort of limit that wear and tear but accommodate 33s as well?
Not to my knowledge. There is likely a direct correlation between the amount of cranking and the additional wear and tear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abq02ranger View Post
and what about the cam bolt thing? in the How To: Crank Torsion Bars and pretty much everywhere else on here it says that just an alignment is recommended, not even crucial. that being said i'd never consider not getting one but if it can mess up the front end camber up that much wouldn't that be pretty standard?

Cam bolt and alignment depends on your truck and how much you crank your torsion bars. Some people have said their trucks were out of alignment afterwords, some have said their trucks required a cam bolt, some have said neither.

Crank your torsion bars, then go to an alignment shop and see what they say.
__________________
2006 Ford Ranger Sport 4.0 2WD on 32x11.50R15s
-3" Doetsch Spindle Lift


Using the forum:
How to Post on the Forum
Creating a signature (do this before asking any questions)
Upload an Avatar (image of your Ranger)
How to Post Pictures on the Forum
Switch the site layout: Light Theme or Dark Theme

Things to do:
Participate in Truck of the Month
Participate in the Ranger Photo Contest
Participate in the Non-Automotive Photo Contest
Become a Site Contributor
Shop at the FordRangerForum.com Store
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
torsion fx4 33 spare tire

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New guy with stock 94 Ranger 4.0, need mods advice alabamafrog General Ford Ranger Discussion 3 03-13-2010 09:34 AM
Simple Green Bamadude Cleaning and Detailing 19 02-15-2010 04:09 PM
need some advice FireFighter27 Lifted Suspension 16 02-02-2010 09:57 PM
Any Simple Exhaust to install?? scrillasherv Exhaust and Mufflers 5 10-26-2009 09:52 AM
where can i find a simple body lift kit for a 2003 ford ranger? leochaboudy Lifted Suspension 1 01-23-2009 01:49 PM