Just picked up a 2001 Ford Ranger 3.0 V6 Automatic for my 16 year old son. Pics below (if the upload worked)
The body of the truck is in good shape, though it has several issues that "we" will have to deal with in the coming months.
I explained to him that this is "his" truck. The sooner he gets it road worthy the sooner he will be driving. I figure frustration, sweat, anger and blood loss is a real good way to make him appreciate his truck and get a good understanding of how to its put together.
Now all "we" need to do is get her road worthy. (We drove it home, 63 miles, so at least that was a good sign)
1. None of the lights work except the rear left brakes and blinker. Bulbs are good so we have an electrical challenge to deal with.
2. Overdrive light is on... could be low on fluids due to a gasket leak, real transmission troubles, shorted wire or whatnot. Did not notice any major challenges while driving her home. Did not pull either way, no knocks or shift challenges where noted.
3. The shift indicator is off, out of alignment? Park is more toward reverse, reverse is near to neutral, neutral is closer to drive and so on.
Gauge lights are off line. Any hints on how to adjust this would be great.
4. Everything shows signs of leakage. Rear end, transmission, oil pan, etc. This includes the front window which shows signs of rain water leaking though and on to floor carpet.
5. Headlights are in place but none of the parts to hold them in place are present. We are missing 4 each # 13N020 if anyone has any they wish to donate.
6. Air bag light is ON.. (There are different non stock seats in truck) so we are hoping that is the primary cause of this issue.
7. No stereo, no speakers, no lighter and the fog light button are not connected nor are the aux outlet. Most of the wiring in this area is pieced / spliced together with 12 gauge stranded "red" wire which runs everywhere under the dash that I can see through the stereo hole.
8. Power steering cap, window washer fluid cap and dip sticks are all missing. Rat nest where air filter is meant to be. No live rats noted at this time.
9. No spare tire or rim. Plastic pieces that go under the door, between door and carpet, holds carpet in place are MIA. Screws that hold rear light covers in place are missing
10. Passenger door lock jammed. Door opens and closes but the lock is toast. Passenger seat missing bolts that hold it in place.
Needless to say, this is a project truck. My hope is that it is not too big of a project for us to handle with many trips to junk yard and such.
"IF" we can get her back into driving shape it will be great. If we find something that is just beyond our ability to repair, at least we will have the memories of doing our best at each otherís side making the attempt and hopefully learning a few things along the way.
Did I mention the body was in good shape?
Any and all assistance on any of the above mentions items would be greatly welcomed.