Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 02-16-2010, 08:38 AM
Lizella Fella Lizella Fella is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 7
Default New member with a seat question

I just picked up a 1996 regular cab ranger as a daily driver. The bench seat is totally trashed, and I've been unsuccessful finding one locally. I was wondering what other options might be available. I've browsed the forums and saw many entries upgrading to new seats and consoles.

As luck would have it I have my daughters old Escort ZX2 that was totaled in an accident. I was going to use the bucket seats out of it, but the problem is the seats bolt down in different locations and the tracks are different. How do you folks who've swapped out seats deal with this issue. In my truck, the seat has a right side and left side track and mounting holes in the floor to match. Did you build new tracks, mounts, etc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, LF
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-16-2010, 03:12 PM
FX4 FX4 is offline
I make paint shine!
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 842
Default

sounds like a custom mounting job for those to fit, you can go to a junk yard and pic up some buckets from a ranger/mustang/explorer/mountaineer I believe all of those will fit
__________________
2002 Ranger XLT FX4

Got new wheels? Post them here: http://www.fordrangerforum.com/wheel...ence-page.html
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-16-2010, 04:37 PM
RangerJustin RangerJustin is offline
~+!)@(#*$&%^
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,033
Send a message via AIM to RangerJustin Send a message via Skype™ to RangerJustin
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX4 View Post
sounds like a custom mounting job for those to fit, you can go to a junk yard and pic up some buckets from a ranger/mustang/explorer/mountaineer I believe all of those will fit
He has a regular cab, so those will not work...at least not as an easy bolt on.
__________________
Sold:2004 XLT 4x2 Ext. Cab. 3.0 Mods: 3" spindle, AAL, shackle, 32x11.5 on 15x8s, billet grille, clear corners, flow 40 dumped, line-x, CB/PA, traction bars, lil sound system, auto up down windows
Sold:2005 XLT 4x4 Ext. Cab. 4.0 Mods: ProComp lights w/ HID swap on tabs, 32x11.5 on 15x8s, CB/PA, black out heads/corners, lil sound system, cranked t-bars, flow 40 dumped, line-x, shell, bed rug, 06+ tails, metal tail gate handle since plastic one shattered, OHC, Mustang Dome.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-16-2010, 05:11 PM
Lizella Fella Lizella Fella is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJustin View Post
He has a regular cab, so those will not work...at least not as an easy bolt on.
Correct! I only have four mounting points on the floor of my cab. They are on each side near the door sills. This is a base model truck with a/c. No pwr options, or 60/40 split seat.

I was hoping someone else had swapped seats in the same type truck that could give me ideas on how to mount a set of buckets. Might just have to rebuild the original bench seat frame and springs, then recover.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-16-2010, 05:15 PM
ObsoleteE ObsoleteE is offline
I'm an F-18, bro
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,972
Send a message via AIM to ObsoleteE
Default

Damn, I was under the impression all of those seats would bolt right up to my regular cab. OP, I'm in your boat with the worn stock bench. I'll be watching this thread.
__________________
1999 B2500 5 Speed
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-16-2010, 05:26 PM
Lizella Fella Lizella Fella is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsoleteE View Post
Damn, I was under the impression all of those seats would bolt right up to my regular cab. OP, I'm in your boat with the worn stock bench. I'll be watching this thread.
Yeah, I thought the same thing until I pulled the seat and realized how it mounts.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-16-2010, 10:27 PM
4.0Joe 4.0Joe is offline
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 39
Default

Can't you weld the seats to the mounting brackets?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-17-2010, 12:13 PM
Lizella Fella Lizella Fella is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0Joe View Post
Can't you weld the seats to the mounting brackets?
Yes, I guess I could if I wanted to sit with a constant "gansta lean". Actually no, that will not work. I only have two seat tracks that are the right configuration for my truck. One for the driverís side, and one for the passenger side.

The latest idea that Iím looking at is to build a frame from 1/2" square tubing that will mount to the two existing seat tracks. Then using 1 1/2 flat steel, make mounting points to that frame for the ZX2 seats. I'll remove the ZX2 seat tracks from the seat frames and then bolt the ZX2 seats to the newly constructed frame. This would allow for a console/armrest between the seats. All will move as one unit that way.

If it works out, Iíll post pics for those with the same dilemma.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-17-2010, 01:54 PM
FX4 FX4 is offline
I make paint shine!
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 842
Default

this might be an expensive option,but I know sparco makes sliders/mounting brackets for rangers and they might work with little modification: http://www.racing-seats-usa.com/sp.html
and so does Cobreau: http://www.racing-seats-usa.com/raci...-brackets.html
__________________
2002 Ranger XLT FX4

Got new wheels? Post them here: http://www.fordrangerforum.com/wheel...ence-page.html
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-20-2010, 11:45 PM
ObsoleteE ObsoleteE is offline
I'm an F-18, bro
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,972
Send a message via AIM to ObsoleteE
Default

So what I gather is that the regular cab bench has only one mount per side. One on the driver side and one on the passenger side. The extended cab would have two mounts per side. Is this correct? If so I think I will custom make the mounts needed and bolt them to the floor. The bench seat just isn't cutting it. Unless I can find a bench that has a center console. That's all I really want. I hate not having an arm rest.
__________________
1999 B2500 5 Speed
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-20-2010, 11:50 PM
smakes smakes is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,005
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsoleteE View Post
So what I gather is that the regular cab bench has only one mount per side. One on the driver side and one on the passenger side. The extended cab would have two mounts per side. Is this correct? If so I think I will custom make the mounts needed and bolt them to the floor. The bench seat just isn't cutting it. Unless I can find a bench that has a center console. That's all I really want. I hate not having an arm rest.
wrong. if there was only two mounts, the seat would spring foward in an accident and slam you into the steeringwheel. the difference between ext cab tracks and std cab tracks are that ext cab tracks are much longer
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-20-2010, 11:54 PM
ObsoleteE ObsoleteE is offline
I'm an F-18, bro
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,972
Send a message via AIM to ObsoleteE
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smakes View Post
wrong. if there was only two mounts, the seat would spring foward in an accident and slam you into the steeringwheel. the difference between ext cab tracks and std cab tracks are that ext cab tracks are much longer
Alright, so even though I have a bench, I still have 4 mounts? (which makes sense now that I think about it, cause its a split bench)So why aren't buckets compatible?
__________________
1999 B2500 5 Speed
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-21-2010, 05:45 PM
Lizella Fella Lizella Fella is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 7
Default

Obsolete,

You are correct. However, after removing all the mud and dirt that was under my floor mat, I discovered mounting holes for the other tracks. I am assuming that this truck also came with a split bench seat, but a 60/40 out of an extended cab will not work. The tracks are different. So, looks like the only bolt in swap would have to be from a regular cab only.

Today I mocked up the frame work to support two bucket seats out of a 2001 Ford Escort ZX2. I used the bench seat tracks and fabbed a frame out of 1" angle iron and 1.5" inch flat bar. Now I need to find an OEM or after market console to go between the seats.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-21-2010, 06:35 PM
ObsoleteE ObsoleteE is offline
I'm an F-18, bro
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,972
Send a message via AIM to ObsoleteE
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizella Fella View Post
Obsolete,

You are correct. However, after removing all the mud and dirt that was under my floor mat, I discovered mounting holes for the other tracks. I am assuming that this truck also came with a split bench seat, but a 60/40 out of an extended cab will not work. The tracks are different. So, looks like the only bolt in swap would have to be from a regular cab only.

Today I mocked up the frame work to support two bucket seats out of a 2001 Ford Escort ZX2. I used the bench seat tracks and fabbed a frame out of 1" angle iron and 1.5" inch flat bar. Now I need to find an OEM or after market console to go between the seats.
That's what I plan to do when it warms up. I guess I can throw just about any seats in there. Thanks for the info, and take some pics of your progress.
__________________
1999 B2500 5 Speed
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-21-2010, 07:23 PM
hunterranger hunterranger is offline
2001 Ford Ranger 3.0 V6 A
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 172
Default

"the difference between ext cab tracks and std cab tracks are that ext cab tracks are much longer"

The seats that where in our extended cab when we got it where very long. over 4 inches past the bolt holes on the back side.

We where told by several people that the reg cab tracks are the LONG ones and the extended cab seats had the short ones. (so people going into back seat do not trip over them.

We purchaced others seats from a extended cab and they where 4 1/4 inch shorter than the reg cab ones we compaired them against.
__________________
White 2001 Ford Ranger Edge - step side- ext cab - 3.0 V-6 2-WD 88k

I have determined that most mechanical / electrical challanges are directly connected to the nut that connects the steering wheel to the drivers seat.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
seat question whitelightening Interior Tech 6 02-06-2010 01:06 PM
seat compatability question r0meo021 Interior Tech 0 12-18-2009 10:57 AM
Seat Swap and SRS question jrg24 Interior Tech 1 09-30-2009 07:28 AM
seat covers for a like half bench seat? hondarider94 Interior Tech 10 08-29-2009 07:38 PM
Hello. New member question. bloozeman2002 4-Cylinder Tech 3 08-02-2009 09:37 AM