Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 12-26-2009, 05:52 PM
Roddy Roddy is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 7
Default Outside air temperature gauge

I drive frequently on wet/icy roads in the Cascade Mountains, and for safety reasons, want to install an outside air temperature gauge in my '09 Ranger. The ones I've found on the internet are too big -- they include a clock and won't fit on the dash. Anyone had experience locating a small temp gauge-only unit?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-26-2009, 06:11 PM
STL STL is offline
...............

 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 23,398
Default

Explorer OHC mod displays temp and direction




Before that I had a dual pillar pod with temp gauge and oil pressure gauge made by cyberdyne gauges



__________________
2005 Edge


Last edited by STL; 12-26-2009 at 06:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-26-2009, 06:45 PM
FoMoCo FoMoCo is offline
RF.net ban camp founder
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,816
Default

i'm diggin thoes cyberdyne gauges
__________________
2012 mustang premium v6 pony package
702 crew
XBGT:IKONIK MOPAR
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-26-2009, 06:57 PM
STL STL is offline
...............

 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 23,398
Default

They are awesome

I got mine from JCWhitney.com and they were each 40 dollars Auto Meter make a single gauge pod says work on 93-02 but the 09 pillar is the same




Just get either 1997-01 F-150, Automatic Transmission or 1997-01 F-150, Manual Transmission, depending on, well if you are an automatic or manual.

__________________
2005 Edge

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-27-2009, 07:40 PM
Mayguy Mayguy is offline
Buy a Ford
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 188
Default

I have a Scanguage, and it shows the outside temp, and also you can have read your RPM, Enegin temp, MPG.. ect..
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-27-2009, 07:45 PM
FireRanger FireRanger is offline
Blinded by the light
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 7,674
Send a message via AIM to FireRanger
Default

The scangauge is not reading outside air temp. It is showing you the intake air temp. The sensor is in the intake path up by the throttle body. It is only accurate while you are moving. Otherwise heat of the engine starts getting sucked into the intake. But as long as you are moving so there is ram air coming into the grill, it is a very accurate temperate sensor. I use it in the winter for the very reason you want it.


EDIT... Wait, is there an XGAUGE I don't know about for OAT?
__________________
(Formerly)
FireRanger
2003 Edge 4.0 4wd

How to: Aux light wiring, relays, & fuses
Info: 300+ intake threads here on FRF
Info: HID Projectors
How To: NO HEAT Troubleshooting Guide

Last edited by FireRanger; 12-27-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-27-2009, 07:58 PM
Mayguy Mayguy is offline
Buy a Ford
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRanger View Post
The scangauge is not reading outside air temp. It is showing you the intake air temp. The sensor is in the intake path up by the throttle body. It is only accurate while you are moving. Otherwise heat of the engine starts getting sucked into the intake. But as long as you are moving so there is ram air coming into the grill, it is a very accurate temperate sensor. I use it in the winter for the very reason you want it.
I agree, it's not a true reading right off the bat, but once I get moving (I'm moving most of the time) The reading is true.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-27-2009, 08:02 PM
blueovelboy blueovelboy is offline
GO SHARKS
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,523
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayguy View Post
I agree, it's not a true reading right off the bat, but once I get moving (I'm moving most of the time) The reading is true.
it reads air temp? is the air always the same as the temp? not where i am from but this is my guess
__________________
Jay's
09 XL reg cab
L4 2.3 , 40 series flowmaster , tinted windows 5% back 35% sides ,muffler removed from air box mod ,and ac on off switch mod , blinker mod, avs window vent shades
coming soon! k&n drop in/fiberglass bed cover/bed sprayed liner
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-27-2009, 08:12 PM
Mayguy Mayguy is offline
Buy a Ford
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueovelboy View Post
it reads air temp? is the air always the same as the temp? not where i am from but this is my guess
Yeah, the temp reading I'm getting on mine scangauge matches of what's the weather is... If it's 8˚, it read 8˚. If I park to run into the store, it will read warmer, but once I get rolling, it's falls right down.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-27-2009, 08:13 PM
Fx4wannabe01 Fx4wannabe01 is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,058
Default

The OP is looking for an outside air temp gauge....probably to see if it's below freezing or not is my guess. Below freezing = moisture on pavement will be ice. In my opinion, throw in an Explorer overhead console.


The scangauge shows intake air temp(IAT). The temp of the air going into the engine. On newer rangers, it's a sensor in the MAF(Mass airflor meter) and in older models it's it's own seperate sensor generally located closer to the throttle body. Intake temp is almost always cooler than ambient temp(outside temp) when traveling because there's cooler air being shoved in(ram air effect), resulting in a lower temp. When parked, that number will rise with engine heat as there's no ram air effect.

On a 60* day, at about 75mph my IAT is about 40*.
__________________
'01 XLT disguised as a '03 Fx4 Level II.

Last edited by Fx4wannabe01; 12-27-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-27-2009, 09:21 PM
blueovelboy blueovelboy is offline
GO SHARKS
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,523
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 View Post
The OP is looking for an outside air temp gauge....probably to see if it's below freezing or not is my guess. Below freezing = moisture on pavement will be ice. In my opinion, throw in an Explorer overhead console.


The scangauge shows intake air temp(IAT). The temp of the air going into the engine. On newer rangers, it's a sensor in the MAF(Mass airflor meter) and in older models it's it's own seperate sensor generally located closer to the throttle body. Intake temp is almost always cooler than ambient temp(outside temp) when traveling because there's cooler air being shoved in(ram air effect), resulting in a lower temp. When parked, that number will rise with engine heat as there's no ram air effect.

On a 60* day, at about 75mph my IAT is about 40*.
that my friend is what i was trying to say !
__________________
Jay's
09 XL reg cab
L4 2.3 , 40 series flowmaster , tinted windows 5% back 35% sides ,muffler removed from air box mod ,and ac on off switch mod , blinker mod, avs window vent shades
coming soon! k&n drop in/fiberglass bed cover/bed sprayed liner
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-31-2009, 10:28 AM
Roddy Roddy is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 7
Default

Thanks to all for your input. I think either the J.C.Whitney Auto Meter or the steering column mounted Edge pod will do the trick. Roddy/Portland
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-31-2009, 08:34 PM
FireRanger FireRanger is offline
Blinded by the light
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 7,674
Send a message via AIM to FireRanger
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 View Post
Intake temp is almost always cooler than ambient temp(outside temp) when traveling because there's cooler air being shoved in(ram air effect), resulting in a lower temp. When parked, that number will rise with engine heat as there's no ram air effect.

On a 60* day, at about 75mph my IAT is about 40*.
Shane, that doesn't make any sense. Your intake is not cooling the air. My IAT matches ambient air temp as long as I'm moving.
__________________
(Formerly)
FireRanger
2003 Edge 4.0 4wd

How to: Aux light wiring, relays, & fuses
Info: 300+ intake threads here on FRF
Info: HID Projectors
How To: NO HEAT Troubleshooting Guide
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-01-2010, 11:13 AM
blueovelboy blueovelboy is offline
GO SHARKS
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,523
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRanger View Post
Shane, that doesn't make any sense. Your intake is not cooling the air. My IAT matches ambient air temp as long as I'm moving.
its like wind chill factor, same principle and you use a fan in the summer and it feels cooler but it did not Chang the temp just moved some air around and thus giving you the cooler effect
__________________
Jay's
09 XL reg cab
L4 2.3 , 40 series flowmaster , tinted windows 5% back 35% sides ,muffler removed from air box mod ,and ac on off switch mod , blinker mod, avs window vent shades
coming soon! k&n drop in/fiberglass bed cover/bed sprayed liner
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-01-2010, 05:44 PM
FireRanger FireRanger is offline
Blinded by the light
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 7,674
Send a message via AIM to FireRanger
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueovelboy View Post
its like wind chill factor, same principle and you use a fan in the summer and it feels cooler but it did not Chang the temp just moved some air around and thus giving you the cooler effect
Common misconception. The concept of wind chill only applies to living things with skin. When air is moving, it sucks the heat off your body much faster than air that is still. This is what exactly what wind chill means. A wind moving at "X" mph, feels like still air at Y temperature.

It has ZERO effect on non-living objects such as thermometers. A temperature sensor will read the same whether it it is still or blowing 100mph.
__________________
(Formerly)
FireRanger
2003 Edge 4.0 4wd

How to: Aux light wiring, relays, & fuses
Info: 300+ intake threads here on FRF
Info: HID Projectors
How To: NO HEAT Troubleshooting Guide
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1994 Mazda B3000/Ford Ranger fuel gauge and temperature gauge not working? Adam T Electrical Tech 6 03-30-2014 12:11 PM
I have a 1992 Ford Ranger Pickup and the temperature gauge keeps going hot, then it richsanc General Tech 14 05-13-2012 07:40 AM
Why does the temperature gauge in my 91 Ford Ranger pickup not work? And chud General Ford Ranger Discussion 16 12-28-2011 05:53 PM
water temperature indicator sender unit kjahwest 4-Cylinder Tech 1 09-19-2009 06:50 PM
Ford Ranger Temperature Fluctuation? Ben General Ford Ranger Discussion 3 11-26-2008 11:48 PM