Ignition Switch Replacement-1993 Ranger
1993 Ford Ranger-Replacing the Ignition Lock Cylinder Assembly
Note: You must remove the steering wheel on 1993 & 1994 models. I got my new cylinder re-keyed for $10 at a local full service lock shop.
1. Disconnect battery.
2. Remove steering wheel cover (T-20 Thorax screwdriver).
3. Pull out three-wire plug from steering wheel (it comes out as a unit).
4. Do not waste time; get a steering wheel puller. Back off nut almost all the way, but not off, as it is spring loaded and may pop off on you. (15mm socket)
5. Remove tilt lever (unscrew), remove steering column collar (snaps off), remove instrument panel trim cover (Thorax T-20 screwdriver), remove two screws from the bottom of the steering column shroud (Phillips screwdriver).
6. Insert ignition key and turn to on position (auto transmission trucks, put shift lever in Park).
7. Use a piece of coat hanger several inches long and press it into a hole at the bottom of the column, under where the lock is located, and pull out the assembly.
8. Reverse for installation.
9. Don't start this job until you have the above tools. General instructions are good, but not knowing what sockets and screwdrivers to use cost me a lot of time to go through the learning curve. Be VERY careful with the new lock assembly as it comes apart easily and is hell to get back together properly. It has some small spring loaded pieces in it that can easily be lost. The locksmith told me that the worst thing that you can do is to have a heavy key ring full of key in the ignition switch. I'm a big offender. This is not a big job if you have the right tools and take your time. A few hours should do it, even for a first timer. I hope that this info helps someone.