Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #736  
Old 04-24-2018, 09:53 PM
Mikerider Mikerider is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,798
Default Re: How to: Rear disc brake conversion for stock Ranger rear end

If they are a true cobra hose they are likley M10x1.0 if I recall correctly. Then you will need to covert to the ranger inverted flare with an adapter.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Supercharged and DBR long travel 2003 FX4 on 305/70R16 MTRs, Torsen LS FR ECTED RR 4.56 Yukons with cobra brakes, lots of expo parts and other mods

Build thread http://www.fordrangerforum.com/proje...cue-truck.html

Support Search and Rescue ... GET LOST!
Reply With Quote
  #737  
Old 05-04-2018, 07:51 PM
Catmandu Catmandu is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 3
Default Re: How to: Rear disc brake conversion for stock Ranger rear end

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I am new to the forum so I'll use that as my excuse

I got the axle to do this project but I am not able to see the posted pictures. It just says Photobucket.com/p500. Is there an environment setting I'm lacking? Is it possible to relist the photo's?

Thanks

Cat-man
Reply With Quote
  #738  
Old 05-05-2018, 06:23 PM
idahoRedRanger idahoRedRanger is offline
Broke Car Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 446
Default Re: How to: Rear disc brake conversion for stock Ranger rear end

No problem on your end. It's just Photobucket. If you click on the photo it'll show it in their site. Or should, anyways lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmandu View Post
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I am new to the forum so I'll use that as my excuse

I got the axle to do this project but I am not able to see the posted pictures. It just says Photobucket.com/p500. Is there an environment setting I'm lacking? Is it possible to relist the photo's?

Thanks

Cat-man
__________________
Project log
99 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 3.0L
Autobot name:Rubeo Bestia(latin for little red beast)
135 amp alternator, 4.0 air intake tube, air box mod, 235/75-15 Hankook Dynapro, 01-03 conversion, buggman LEDs, throttle cable mod
I take photos for fun
Reply With Quote
  #739  
Old 05-05-2018, 06:54 PM
Catmandu Catmandu is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 3
Default Re: How to: Rear disc brake conversion for stock Ranger rear end

No luck,...just the photobucket window and when I click, nothing.

Cat-man
Reply With Quote
  #740  
Old 05-06-2018, 11:29 AM
idahoRedRanger idahoRedRanger is offline
Broke Car Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 446
Default Re: How to: Rear disc brake conversion for stock Ranger rear end

I did a right click and opened in new tab and it worked for me. Heres a like to the first photo http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/...ODIzNw==/?ref=
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmandu View Post
No luck,...just the photobucket window and when I click, nothing.

Cat-man
__________________
Project log
99 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 3.0L
Autobot name:Rubeo Bestia(latin for little red beast)
135 amp alternator, 4.0 air intake tube, air box mod, 235/75-15 Hankook Dynapro, 01-03 conversion, buggman LEDs, throttle cable mod
I take photos for fun
Reply With Quote
  #741  
Old 05-08-2018, 08:21 PM
Catmandu Catmandu is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 3
Smile Re: How to: Rear disc brake conversion for stock Ranger rear end

Idaho, thank you for all your patience with me.

I was able to see the very nice red caliper, so when I went to right click and open in a new window, that action is greyed out and I'm not allowed to do it,....grrrrr.
Is photobucket some hard drive that with the right access I could see all the pics outside of the Ranger forum?

Cat-Man

PS where in Idaho are you? North or South or East. Me I'm in Washington stuck on the Leftest coast
Reply With Quote
  #742  
Old 05-09-2018, 01:09 PM
idahoRedRanger idahoRedRanger is offline
Broke Car Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 446
Default Re: How to: Rear disc brake conversion for stock Ranger rear end

No problem. It shouldn't be. I can always try and download these photos and repost them on here. And I'm in the Middleton area. So almost the South West most part of the state
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmandu View Post
Idaho, thank you for all your patience with me.

I was able to see the very nice red caliper, so when I went to right click and open in a new window, that action is greyed out and I'm not allowed to do it,....grrrrr.
Is photobucket some hard drive that with the right access I could see all the pics outside of the Ranger forum?

Cat-Man

PS where in Idaho are you? North or South or East. Me I'm in Washington stuck on the Leftest coast
__________________
Project log
99 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 3.0L
Autobot name:Rubeo Bestia(latin for little red beast)
135 amp alternator, 4.0 air intake tube, air box mod, 235/75-15 Hankook Dynapro, 01-03 conversion, buggman LEDs, throttle cable mod
I take photos for fun
Reply With Quote
  #743  
Old 07-01-2018, 01:55 PM
Revtach Revtach is offline
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 39
Default Re: How to: Rear disc brake conversion for stock Ranger rear end

I have some work to do on my rear end.

Drum brakes need to be rebuilt/replaced, and I have to repair a leaking rear diff cover seal.

Since I'm going to have everything apart I might as well upgrade things instead of just replacing.

Does anyone know if there is a disk brake conversion for the 2003 FX4 Level II trucks? It has a 8.8 31 spline rear.

Here's a link to a rear disk brake swap for the FX4 Level II, but that kit has been discontinued and it was really expensive anyway:

http://www.generation-edge.info/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3646

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Revtach; 07-01-2018 at 01:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #744  
Old 07-01-2018, 08:13 PM
idahoRedRanger idahoRedRanger is offline
Broke Car Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 446
Default Re: How to: Rear disc brake conversion for stock Ranger rear end

Without actually looking and getting good facts, it'll probably be easier to find an axle with disks already from a newer Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revtach View Post
I have some work to do on my rear end.

Drum brakes need to be rebuilt/replaced, and I have to repair a leaking rear diff cover seal.

Since I'm going to have everything apart I might as well upgrade things instead of just replacing.

Does anyone know if there is a disk brake conversion for the 2003 FX4 Level II trucks? It has a 8.8 31 spline rear.

Here's a link to a rear disk brake swap for the FX4 Level II, but that kit has been discontinued and it was really expensive anyway:

http://www.generation-edge.info/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3646

Thanks in advance.
__________________
Project log
99 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 3.0L
Autobot name:Rubeo Bestia(latin for little red beast)
135 amp alternator, 4.0 air intake tube, air box mod, 235/75-15 Hankook Dynapro, 01-03 conversion, buggman LEDs, throttle cable mod
I take photos for fun
Reply With Quote
  #745  
Old 07-03-2018, 08:24 AM
Revtach Revtach is offline
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 39
Default Re: How to: Rear disc brake conversion for stock Ranger rear end

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahoRedRanger View Post
Without actually looking and getting good facts, it'll probably be easier to find an axle with disks already from a newer Ranger
You mean from a 2010-2011 truck?

Well my rear end has 4.10 gears, and a Torsen LSD. Not sure if I'll find a 2011 with that setup. I guess I could always transfer my parts into the new housing, but not sure if it would all fit. Would the disk brake hardware for a 2010-2011 truck bolt up to my axle?

I guess I could look into modifying the existing disk brake mod to work for the rear end of this truck.

There also seems to be some information floating around about using the disk brakes off of an explorer 8.8 rear. Would this be a simple swap?

Last edited by Revtach; 07-03-2018 at 07:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #746  
Old 07-05-2018, 04:50 PM
Revtach Revtach is offline
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 39
Default Re: How to: Rear disc brake conversion for stock Ranger rear end

Update:

Found out the disk brakes from a 95-01 explorer 8.8 are a direct bolt on for the FX4 Level II trucks. Only modifications required are parking brake cable and brake hoses. Nothing too bad. See here:

https://ford-rangers.com/view_topic....6&jump_to=9730

For the diff cover, I was going to go with the aluminum diff cover from the IRS 8.8 off of a 2002-2007 explorer like mentioned in the 2006 thread which I linked to 3 posts up.

But something about an aluminum diff cover and a FX4 Level II ranger just doesn't seem to go together lol. In addition, the aluminum explorer cover requires you to add an extra quart of gear fluid into the diff since it hold more volume...so you have to add the cost of an additional bottle of gear fluid if you're going to go that route. I'm using motorcraft 75-140 which costs a little over $20 for the extra quart.

For these reasons I decided to go with the cover made by Solid Axle Industries. Cheapest I found was through daves offroad supply for only $80 (and it comes with bolts, gasket maker, free shipping, and a lifetime warranty). This is a much strong cover too:

http://www.davesoffroadsupply.com/So...er_p_1331.html

Hope this could be of help to someone.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
brakes, disc

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discuss How to: Front Cobra disc brake conversion DangerRanger01 How-To Submissions 16 02-23-2018 03:14 AM
Ranger/Explorer disc brake sawp/conversion? Alon Drivetrain Tech 25 03-03-2011 10:14 PM
[SOLD] Rear COBRA disc brake kit for your RANGER!--OR DangerRanger01 Engine & Drivetrain Parts 4 01-16-2010 10:35 AM
How to: Rear disc brake conversion for stock Ranger rear end DangerRanger01 Engine/Drivetrain Guides 0 12-14-2009 08:37 PM
97 rear disc conversion richarddhoward Drivetrain Tech 36 11-23-2009 08:25 AM