Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #496  
Old 02-27-2014, 08:57 PM
svt ranger plz svt ranger plz is offline
chillen on the FRF
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 64
Default Re: How to: Rear disc brake conversion for stock Ranger rear end

so Im interested in this and i have one question for you guys

would you be able to use the same brake pads from the front on the back? or would I have to get two different pads for the front and back?

(ok two questions lol)
__________________
RED 1999 4x4 4.0l ranger with rhino liner, throttle cable mod,
air silencer mod, BFG A/T's, LED color changing
footwell lights
Reply With Quote
  #497  
Old 03-01-2014, 01:41 AM
Fx4wannabe01 Fx4wannabe01 is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,058
Default Re: How to: Rear disc brake conversion for stock Ranger rear end

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt ranger plz View Post
so Im interested in this and i have one question for you guys

would you be able to use the same brake pads from the front on the back? or would I have to get two different pads for the front and back?

(ok two questions lol)
Yeah no. Front and rear, the pads are different. I can't actually name ANY vehicle with the same pads front and rear.
__________________
'01 XLT disguised as a '03 Fx4 Level II.
Reply With Quote
  #498  
Old 03-02-2014, 01:21 AM
dzrt_ranger dzrt_ranger is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 896
Default Re: How to: Rear disc brake conversion for stock Ranger rear end

So today leaving work my pedal super low and it would roll to a stop doing 5mph.. the brakes were horrible! In the parking lot of my Job I kept speeding up to like 30 and braking really hard to see if it got better. And after doing that about 10 times it started braking really good. To the point that I was locking up my 33s! I got home, and later when I got up to go back to work the pedal was super low again..I did the same thing of slamming on the brakes about 10 times and it started braking really good again locking up the tires. There was a burning smell coming from the front passenger side. But only that side..what do you guys think it could be?
Reply With Quote
  #499  
Old 03-02-2014, 06:00 AM
svtwin73 svtwin73 is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 310
Default Re: How to: Rear disc brake conversion for stock Ranger rear end

Check fluid level and check for leaks, may need to bleed brakes again.
__________________
1998 Ranger Supercab 4.0L, Medium Metallic XLT, auto, painted valve covers (10 HP), 30x9.5/15.

2008 Mustang GT, stroked 5.0 3v, RGR cams, R2300 S/C, suspension, Kooks LTs w/HF cats GT500 TB, Flowmaster cat-back exhaust, GT500 fuel pump setup.
Reply With Quote
  #500  
Old 03-02-2014, 06:27 AM
dzrt_ranger dzrt_ranger is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 896
Default Re: How to: Rear disc brake conversion for stock Ranger rear end

Fluid is normal. Hasn't gone down since I last bled them, I'm gonna rebleed them again today to see if that helpsv
Reply With Quote
  #501  
Old 03-02-2014, 11:08 PM
svt ranger plz svt ranger plz is offline
chillen on the FRF
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 64
Default Re: How to: Rear disc brake conversion for stock Ranger rear end

ok cool thanks for the info on that Fx4wannabe01 (messed up the reply lol)
__________________
RED 1999 4x4 4.0l ranger with rhino liner, throttle cable mod,
air silencer mod, BFG A/T's, LED color changing
footwell lights

Last edited by svt ranger plz; 03-02-2014 at 11:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #502  
Old 03-27-2014, 03:38 PM
fordtuff3.0 fordtuff3.0 is offline
Ford Rangers
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 211
Default

Hey guys im about to do this, do I Cut both mounting brackets the same way? & do the brackets bolt on the outside or outside?
Reply With Quote
  #503  
Old 03-27-2014, 03:49 PM
AnythingCanHappen AnythingCanHappen is offline
and AnythingWillHappen
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,538
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtuff3.0 View Post
Hey guys im about to do this, do I Cut both mounting brackets the same way? & do the brackets bolt on the outside or outside?
Yes you cut them the same way use the fist page for help. Cut the one that is showed in the picture (you cant mess that one up) then put it on the truck and hold the other one up to the other side before you cut it to make sure its the same as the one you already cut. (if that makes since)


Also I see you are from Mi. We are having a ranger meet coming up in june. Link below. You are more then welcome to come
SE Michigan Meet (At Mounds)


Just remember. Right bracket goes on the left side and left bracket goes on the right. The nuts should be on the inside (closer to the diff)
__________________
2010 Fx4 F150
2003 Ford SVT Cobra
2000 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Offroad =====SOLD
5.0 V8 with L/S 4.10's and a lot of other crap

Last edited by AnythingCanHappen; 03-27-2014 at 04:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #504  
Old 03-27-2014, 05:19 PM
fordtuff3.0 fordtuff3.0 is offline
Ford Rangers
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingCanHappen View Post

Yes you cut them the same way use the fist page for help. Cut the one that is showed in the picture (you cant mess that one up) then put it on the truck and hold the other one up to the other side before you cut it to make sure its the same as the one you already cut. (if that makes since)

Also I see you are from Mi. We are having a ranger meet coming up in june. Link below. You are more then welcome to come
SE Michigan Meet (At Mounds)

Just remember. Right bracket goes on the left side and left bracket goes on the right. The nuts should be on the inside (closer to the diff)
Hey thanks man. Ill check that out on the meet. The inside outside thing I'm talking about is the bracket does it mount on the inside of the axle towards the diff or the outside towards the axle ends?
Reply With Quote
  #505  
Old 03-27-2014, 05:52 PM
AnythingCanHappen AnythingCanHappen is offline
and AnythingWillHappen
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,538
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtuff3.0 View Post

Hey thanks man. Ill check that out on the meet. The inside outside thing I'm talking about is the bracket does it mount on the inside of the axle towards the diff or the outside towards the axle ends?
Inside of the flange towards the diff. Look at the first page again. Pictures are there
__________________
2010 Fx4 F150
2003 Ford SVT Cobra
2000 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Offroad =====SOLD
5.0 V8 with L/S 4.10's and a lot of other crap
Reply With Quote
  #506  
Old 04-03-2014, 12:52 PM
fordtuff3.0 fordtuff3.0 is offline
Ford Rangers
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 211
Default

Hey guys I did the conversion but got soft brakes now after bleeding them a few times now. I don't know if I have air in the lines or did any of you experience a softer brake pedal with the rear rubber lines?
Reply With Quote
  #507  
Old 04-03-2014, 07:57 PM
Crowgrow Crowgrow is offline
Buy a Ford
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 198
Default Re: How to: Rear disc brake conversion for stock Ranger rear end

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtuff3.0 View Post
Hey guys I did the conversion but got soft brakes now after bleeding them a few times now. I don't know if I have air in the lines or did any of you experience a softer brake pedal with the rear rubber lines?
rebleed them you didnt do it right. or get a shop to do it.
Reply With Quote
  #508  
Old 04-04-2014, 12:09 PM
Lawn Ranger Lawn Ranger is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 4
Default Re: How to: Rear disc brake conversion for stock Ranger rear end

So has anybody had any issues with this mod? How much does it help? I
Reply With Quote
  #509  
Old 04-04-2014, 12:10 PM
AnythingCanHappen AnythingCanHappen is offline
and AnythingWillHappen
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,538
Default Re: How to: Rear disc brake conversion for stock Ranger rear end

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn ranger View Post
so has anybody had any issues with this mod? How much does it help? I
READ the WHOLE thread
__________________
2010 Fx4 F150
2003 Ford SVT Cobra
2000 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Offroad =====SOLD
5.0 V8 with L/S 4.10's and a lot of other crap
Reply With Quote
  #510  
Old 04-04-2014, 12:20 PM
Lawn Ranger Lawn Ranger is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 4
Default Re: How to: Rear disc brake conversion for stock Ranger rear end

I thought about that as I was hitting send DUHHH! My Bad.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
brakes, disc

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discuss How to: Front Cobra disc brake conversion DangerRanger01 How-To Submissions 15 08-31-2011 12:15 AM
Ranger/Explorer disc brake sawp/conversion? Alon Drivetrain Tech 25 03-03-2011 10:14 PM
[SOLD] Rear COBRA disc brake kit for your RANGER!--OR DangerRanger01 Engine & Drivetrain Parts 4 01-16-2010 10:35 AM
How to: Rear disc brake conversion for stock Ranger rear end DangerRanger01 Engine/Drivetrain Guides 0 12-14-2009 08:37 PM
97 rear disc conversion richarddhoward Drivetrain Tech 36 11-23-2009 08:25 AM