Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #376  
Old 06-28-2013, 09:59 AM
dzrt_ranger dzrt_ranger is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 896
Default Re: How to: Rear disc brake conversion for stock Ranger rear end

Thanks for your help, I'm gonna try to find the combination valve and see what I can do from there.
Reply With Quote
  #377  
Old 07-02-2013, 01:58 PM
dzrt_ranger dzrt_ranger is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 896
Default Re: How to: Rear disc brake conversion for stock Ranger rear end

So after doing quite a bit of research I came to believe that this is some sort of proportioning valve.



I looked up explorer master cylinders and the options it said either 'no proportioning valve" or "with proportioning valve" the ones that said with had the hole for that piece to screw in. The ones that said no didn't, it was just a regular size hole for the hard line. I'm gonna be purchasing an explorer MC and an aftermarket proportioning valve and be installing them and hope that gives the rear brakes more pressure leading to better braking.
Reply With Quote
  #378  
Old 07-09-2013, 01:59 PM
2004xlmiller 2004xlmiller is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 12,680
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzrt_ranger View Post
So after doing quite a bit of research I came to believe that this is some sort of proportioning valve.

I looked up explorer master cylinders and the options it said either 'no proportioning valve" or "with proportioning valve" the ones that said with had the hole for that piece to screw in. The ones that said no didn't, it was just a regular size hole for the hard line. I'm gonna be purchasing an explorer MC and an aftermarket proportioning valve and be installing them and hope that gives the rear brakes more pressure leading to better braking.
Good info here please update this when you know more
Reply With Quote
  #379  
Old 07-09-2013, 04:51 PM
vista4.0 vista4.0 is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,532
Default Re: How to: Rear disc brake conversion for stock Ranger rear end

Does anybody have a picture of how you have the parking brake cable hooked up? The picture is gone.
__________________
2007 Ford Ranger XLT Vista Blue
4x4 4.0L w/5 speed manual, 4.10 L/S
Double Lifted on Fox Coilovers
33x12.50 KO2s on 15x10 Steelies

1998 Ford Ranger XL - Daily Beater 2.5L Auto - Lowered 4/6 with c-notch
Reply With Quote
  #380  
Old 07-10-2013, 07:16 PM
Rangers75th Rangers75th is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 548
Default Re: How to: Rear disc brake conversion for stock Ranger rear end

Quote:
Originally Posted by vista4.0 View Post
Does anybody have a picture of how you have the parking brake cable hooked up? The picture is gone.
x2

Also, they have to be 94 to 04? nothing else will work?

And with regard to cutting off or unbolting the backing plate, are there any negatives to simply cutting it off rather than taking the entire axle off to unbolt?
__________________
2001 XLT 4.0 Ext Cab 4X4 Offroad Package
4.10s, 8.8, LSD.
06+ Mirrors
Reply With Quote
  #381  
Old 07-10-2013, 07:25 PM
AnythingCanHappen AnythingCanHappen is offline
and AnythingWillHappen
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,538
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers75th View Post

x2

Also, they have to be 94 to 04? nothing else will work?

And with regard to cutting off or unbolting the backing plate, are there any negatives to simply cutting it off rather than taking the entire axle off to unbolt?
I cut mine off no problem
__________________
2010 Fx4 F150
2003 Ford SVT Cobra
2000 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Offroad =====SOLD
5.0 V8 with L/S 4.10's and a lot of other crap
Reply With Quote
  #382  
Old 07-10-2013, 07:32 PM
Rangers75th Rangers75th is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 548
Default Re: How to: Rear disc brake conversion for stock Ranger rear end

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingCanHappen View Post
I cut mine off no problem
Thanks, do you just order mustang 94-04 gt or cobra brakes from like a ford dealership to get them new?
__________________
2001 XLT 4.0 Ext Cab 4X4 Offroad Package
4.10s, 8.8, LSD.
06+ Mirrors
Reply With Quote
  #383  
Old 07-10-2013, 07:41 PM
AnythingCanHappen AnythingCanHappen is offline
and AnythingWillHappen
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,538
Default Re: How to: Rear disc brake conversion for stock Ranger rear end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers75th View Post
Thanks, do you just order mustang 94-04 gt or cobra brakes from like a ford dealership to get them new?


Junk yard will be the cheapest. If your read through this thread there will be all the info you need

Easiest will be this
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FM...00-M/?rtype=10
then you will just have to buy brake calipers and pads
__________________
2010 Fx4 F150
2003 Ford SVT Cobra
2000 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Offroad =====SOLD
5.0 V8 with L/S 4.10's and a lot of other crap

Last edited by AnythingCanHappen; 07-10-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #384  
Old 07-10-2013, 07:49 PM
Rangers75th Rangers75th is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 548
Default Re: How to: Rear disc brake conversion for stock Ranger rear end

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingCanHappen View Post
Junk yard will be the cheapest. If your read through this thread there will be all the info you need

Easiest will be this
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FM...00-M/?rtype=10
then you will just have to buy brake calipers and pads
alright i've read about half, all finish it, thanks for the help and the link!
__________________
2001 XLT 4.0 Ext Cab 4X4 Offroad Package
4.10s, 8.8, LSD.
06+ Mirrors
Reply With Quote
  #385  
Old 07-10-2013, 07:51 PM
AnythingCanHappen AnythingCanHappen is offline
and AnythingWillHappen
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,538
Default Re: How to: Rear disc brake conversion for stock Ranger rear end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers75th View Post
alright i've read about half, all finish it, thanks for the help and the link!
No problem. I looked around briefly and believe it or not it lookes like summit had the cheapest price. Best of luck
__________________
2010 Fx4 F150
2003 Ford SVT Cobra
2000 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Offroad =====SOLD
5.0 V8 with L/S 4.10's and a lot of other crap
Reply With Quote
  #386  
Old 07-10-2013, 07:58 PM
Rangers75th Rangers75th is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 548
Default Re: How to: Rear disc brake conversion for stock Ranger rear end

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingCanHappen View Post
No problem. I looked around briefly and believe it or not it lookes like summit had the cheapest price. Best of luck
Yeah i've come to the same conclusion, for that kit does it matter if the calipers and pads are gt or cobra?

the description says cobra but its for a gt so im a little confused
__________________
2001 XLT 4.0 Ext Cab 4X4 Offroad Package
4.10s, 8.8, LSD.
06+ Mirrors
Reply With Quote
  #387  
Old 07-10-2013, 08:06 PM
AnythingCanHappen AnythingCanHappen is offline
and AnythingWillHappen
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,538
Default Re: How to: Rear disc brake conversion for stock Ranger rear end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers75th View Post
Yeah i've come to the same conclusion, for that kit does it matter if the calipers and pads are gt or cobra?

the description says cobra but its for a gt so im a little confused
I did not order the kit so I am not too sure. The cobra discs are bigger then the gt/base model. If you get cobra discs you will have to get cobra pads/rotors.

if you read through the thread I believe it has been discussed
__________________
2010 Fx4 F150
2003 Ford SVT Cobra
2000 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Offroad =====SOLD
5.0 V8 with L/S 4.10's and a lot of other crap
Reply With Quote
  #388  
Old 07-10-2013, 08:14 PM
Rangers75th Rangers75th is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 548
Default Re: How to: Rear disc brake conversion for stock Ranger rear end

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingCanHappen View Post
I did not order the kit so I am not too sure. The cobra discs are bigger then the gt/base model. If you get cobra discs you will have to get cobra pads/rotors.

if you read through the thread I believe it has been discussed
Okay great will do, thanks again!
__________________
2001 XLT 4.0 Ext Cab 4X4 Offroad Package
4.10s, 8.8, LSD.
06+ Mirrors
Reply With Quote
  #389  
Old 07-10-2013, 08:36 PM
TB-9862 TB-9862 is offline
"How hard could it be?"
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,177
Default Re: How to: Rear disc brake conversion for stock Ranger rear end

I'm also starting to look into this and the Summit kit is a little misleading...it says GT kit but lists the rotors as 11.65", which according to the OP is Cobra sized..
__________________
Dennis Brady

Black 2001 4x2 XLT Supercab 3.0 "Shadow" - WIA

Black 2001 4x4 EDGE Supercab 4.0 ('Body donor' for Shadow lol)

Build thread:
http://www.fordrangerforum.com/proje...adow-redo.html
Reply With Quote
  #390  
Old 07-10-2013, 08:59 PM
Rangers75th Rangers75th is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 548
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB-9862 View Post
I'm also starting to look into this and the Summit kit is a little misleading...it says GT kit but lists the rotors as 11.65", which according to the OP is Cobra sized..
I'm thinking maybe it's supposed to be a cobra brakes upgrade from the stock gt ones ? But that's just a guess I'm not really sure
__________________
2001 XLT 4.0 Ext Cab 4X4 Offroad Package
4.10s, 8.8, LSD.
06+ Mirrors
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
brakes, disc

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discuss How to: Front Cobra disc brake conversion DangerRanger01 How-To Submissions 15 08-31-2011 12:15 AM
Ranger/Explorer disc brake sawp/conversion? Alon Drivetrain Tech 25 03-03-2011 10:14 PM
[SOLD] Rear COBRA disc brake kit for your RANGER!--OR DangerRanger01 Engine & Drivetrain Parts 4 01-16-2010 10:35 AM
How to: Rear disc brake conversion for stock Ranger rear end DangerRanger01 Engine/Drivetrain Guides 0 12-14-2009 08:37 PM
97 rear disc conversion richarddhoward Drivetrain Tech 36 11-23-2009 08:25 AM