Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #691  
Old 06-04-2016, 08:38 AM
ChasVS ChasVS is offline
Ford Rangers
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 210
Default Re: How-To: OHC Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermdiggle View Post
That looks great! I'm too chicken spit to cut into my headliner and drill holes.
LOL, I hear you! If I hadn't had the ripped headliner fabric between the sun visors I probably wouldn't have done it myself. I actually had given up after I had cut a drilled a couple holes and didn't think it was going to fit! I was actually looking to buy a new or used headliner but when i found out how much they'd be I figured I give it one more try! Glad i did, but it was one big PITA to run the wires, and the Temp sensor wires were the worst!
Reply With Quote
  #692  
Old 06-04-2016, 08:51 AM
hermdiggle hermdiggle is offline
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 41
Default Re: How-To: OHC Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasVS View Post
LOL, I hear you! If I hadn't had the ripped headliner fabric between the sun visors I probably wouldn't have done it myself. I actually had given up after I had cut a drilled a couple holes and didn't think it was going to fit! I was actually looking to buy a new or used headliner but when i found out how much they'd be I figured I give it one more try! Glad i did, but it was one big PITA to run the wires, and the Temp sensor wires were the worst!

If i do decide to do this I'm leaving the temp sensor inside. We know Florida is HOT outside. lol
__________________
2010 XLT 2.3L 2WD Extended Cab Dark Shadow Gray Metallic.
Reply With Quote
  #693  
Old 09-30-2016, 08:05 AM
Dean Pavlik1962 Dean Pavlik1962 is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2
Unhappy Re: How-To: OHC Install

Link for the template redirects you to the buy adobe web site and you can't get the template where can i get a copy of the template please.
Reply With Quote
  #694  
Old 03-27-2017, 07:20 AM
tiredretired tiredretired is offline
29 Year Ranger Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 239
Default Re: How-To: OHC Install

The junkyards around here want an arm and a leg for these. 75 and up and as is. Not going to take a chance like that. I can find them on ebay but no mounting brackets.

If anyone has a part number for the mounting bracket I would appreciate it. Thanx.
__________________
2005 Ranger FX/4 4.0 Auto. 152K.

Ceramic Pads, Energy Suspension Polyurethane Sway links and bushings. OHC. Third Brake Light Directionals. KYB Shocks. Dipped and Blacked Out.

Acme Projectors with Morimoto XB35 Ballast and Morimoto XB35 5500K Bulbs.
Reply With Quote
  #695  
Old 03-27-2017, 07:36 PM
hpiblitz144 hpiblitz144 is offline
Ford Ranger Owner
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 68
Default Re: How-To: OHC Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredretired View Post
The junkyards around here want an arm and a leg for these. 75 and up and as is. Not going to take a chance like that. I can find them on ebay but no mounting brackets.

If anyone has a part number for the mounting bracket I would appreciate it. Thanx.
where about are you located? I've got one at work (i work in a wrecking yard) we don't charge that much. ill even ship it if your too far out to meet up
Reply With Quote
  #696  
Old 03-28-2017, 03:27 PM
tiredretired tiredretired is offline
29 Year Ranger Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 239
Default Re: How-To: OHC Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiblitz144 View Post
where about are you located? I've got one at work (i work in a wrecking yard) we don't charge that much. ill even ship it if your too far out to meet up
PM sent.
__________________
2005 Ranger FX/4 4.0 Auto. 152K.

Ceramic Pads, Energy Suspension Polyurethane Sway links and bushings. OHC. Third Brake Light Directionals. KYB Shocks. Dipped and Blacked Out.

Acme Projectors with Morimoto XB35 Ballast and Morimoto XB35 5500K Bulbs.
Reply With Quote
  #697  
Old 04-30-2017, 08:19 AM
jondel1975 jondel1975 is offline
Pheonix 1
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 6
Default Re: How-To: OHC Install

Using your pics as a guideline I installed an OHC that came out of a Ford Expedition, it took a lot of cutting and fabricating but I think it came out pretty well, I also installed the self dimming mirror.
What do you guys think?




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
I have a 2005 ford ranger xlt supercab. Started out with a double din touch screen interface, K&N cold air intake, LED headlights and euro LED tail lights, last mod I did was adding fender flares from a Ford edge(primed them and painted). And yes am looking for mods big and small, I love my truck and with each day it becomes more and more me
Reply With Quote
  #698  
Old 05-01-2017, 02:43 AM
ShaneOMac ShaneOMac is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 399
Default Re: How-To: OHC Install

Looks good man! Do your visors catch it at all when you fold them down?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
__________________
98 xlt 3.0 5.5 Fabtech lift Expo 8.8 w/ 4.10s LSD 33" BFG A/T 15" Eagle Alloys '06 Tails LED Third Brake Light Projector style headlights Thunderbolt Turn Signal Mirrors Spray-on bedliner Cat-back exhaust with Gibson tip OHC Indiglo Guages Pioneer Flip-up screen 12" Alpine Type R sub Memphis Audio Amp Window auto down mod EATC Explorer Center Console
Reply With Quote
  #699  
Old 05-01-2017, 05:40 AM
jondel1975 jondel1975 is offline
Pheonix 1
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 6
Default Re: How-To: OHC Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneOMac View Post
Looks good man! Do your visors catch it at all when you fold them down?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk


They do catch, so after I redo the headliner next weekend, I have a local shop that is going to cut them down and re cover those for me.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
I have a 2005 ford ranger xlt supercab. Started out with a double din touch screen interface, K&N cold air intake, LED headlights and euro LED tail lights, last mod I did was adding fender flares from a Ford edge(primed them and painted). And yes am looking for mods big and small, I love my truck and with each day it becomes more and more me
Reply With Quote
  #700  
Old 05-02-2017, 01:53 AM
ShaneOMac ShaneOMac is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 399
Default Re: How-To: OHC Install

Nice. Take pics when they're done

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
__________________
98 xlt 3.0 5.5 Fabtech lift Expo 8.8 w/ 4.10s LSD 33" BFG A/T 15" Eagle Alloys '06 Tails LED Third Brake Light Projector style headlights Thunderbolt Turn Signal Mirrors Spray-on bedliner Cat-back exhaust with Gibson tip OHC Indiglo Guages Pioneer Flip-up screen 12" Alpine Type R sub Memphis Audio Amp Window auto down mod EATC Explorer Center Console
Reply With Quote
  #701  
Old 05-07-2017, 08:38 PM
Varilux Varilux is offline
Built Ford Tough
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 15
Default Re: How-To: OHC Install

Thanks to the OP (and everyone who posted tips)!

Son and I went to the pick-n-pull on Saturday, found a 2000 Mercury Mountaineer with a clean OHC, and paid $17 for the OHC and temp sensor.

Install was fairly easy, although I did need to modify the bracket a bit (gave it a straighter profile to pull the back end of the console up tight to the headliner). Also had to recalibrate the compass to get it working correctly.

We actually grabbed two temp sensors, and I'm thinking of installing the second one inside the cab with a switch to toggle between indoors and out. Surprisingly, my favorite feature is the extra dome / map lights!
__________________
2004 Ford Ranger FX4 automatic 4.0, 2011 Ford F150 XLT, 2003 Ford Mustang convertible, 1965 Ford Mustang coupe
Reply With Quote
  #702  
Old 05-08-2017, 07:03 AM
Kealel Kealel is offline
Bringing hell to the city
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,512
Default Re: How-To: OHC Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varilux View Post


We actually grabbed two temp sensors, and I'm thinking of installing the second one inside the cab with a switch to toggle between indoors and out.
Not worth your time, it accounts for the heat in the engine bay and the interior, having no engine producing extra heat, would probably read super cold.

At least that's what I've heard.
__________________
Baby Girl: 2006 White Ranger XL with many memories. R.I.P. 1/26/15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan03CO View Post
I knew you were an alright guy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford4thot View Post
The only reason it's worn out junk is because you've gone 70k miles without changing the oil.
Reply With Quote
  #703  
Old 05-08-2017, 08:04 AM
Varilux Varilux is offline
Built Ford Tough
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 15
Default Re: How-To: OHC Install

Thanks for the heads up! We didn't bother hooking up the "speed sensor" wire, but surprisingly so far the temp reads exactly what my cell phone says the local temp is.

I guess we'll keep the extra sensor as a backup. The one we used came from the same Mountaineer we pulled the OHC from. The second one was from an Explorer. Other than having a slightly different shape, they seem to be the same (and the wires are the same colors- so I'm guessing they're swappable).
__________________
2004 Ford Ranger FX4 automatic 4.0, 2011 Ford F150 XLT, 2003 Ford Mustang convertible, 1965 Ford Mustang coupe
Reply With Quote
  #704  
Old 05-08-2017, 05:51 PM
tiredretired tiredretired is offline
29 Year Ranger Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 239
Default Re: How-To: OHC Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kealel View Post
Not worth your time, it accounts for the heat in the engine bay and the interior, having no engine producing extra heat, would probably read super cold.

At least that's what I've heard.
That is opposite of what I have heard.

To update the temperature, the module looks at several different factors, as listed below.

> Engine Cold

If ignition has been on for less than five minutes, and was previously off for longer than two hours, the engine is cold and does not affect the temperature sensor. Therefore, the current sensor data is used.

> Engine Warm, Updated Temperature Cooler

If ignition has been on for longer than five minutes or if the ignition was off for less than two hours, the engine compartment may be warm from the heat of the engine. The current sensor data is used only if it is less than the stored temperature reading from before.

> Engine Warm, Updated Temperature Warmer

If the sensor data indicates a higher temperature, the module looks at the vehicle speed to determine whether engine heat is causing erroneous readings. A "high speed counter" is used to determine this. The counter is incremented when the speed is greater than 53 km/h (33 mph) and decremented when the speed is between 16-53 km/h (10-33 mph). If the speed is less than 16 km/h (10 mph), the counter is reset, and the displayed temperature is not updated from its last reading. If the counter is greater than two minutes, the currently sensed temperature is displayed. If the high-speed counter has counted less than two minutes, the temperature is allowed to increase only one degree per minute.

If the temperature sensor is short- or open-circuited, the display will read SC or OC, respectively, instead of a temperature. If the temperature drops below 3.3C (38F) or is below 3.3C (38F) upon power-up, the display will alternate between displaying "ICE" and the temperature. The display will alternate every two seconds for a time of one minute.

Based on the above info I would recommend hooking up the VSS wire in order to achieve maximum accuracy.
__________________
2005 Ranger FX/4 4.0 Auto. 152K.

Ceramic Pads, Energy Suspension Polyurethane Sway links and bushings. OHC. Third Brake Light Directionals. KYB Shocks. Dipped and Blacked Out.

Acme Projectors with Morimoto XB35 Ballast and Morimoto XB35 5500K Bulbs.
Reply With Quote
  #705  
Old 05-08-2017, 05:54 PM
Kealel Kealel is offline
Bringing hell to the city
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,512
Default Re: How-To: OHC Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredretired View Post
That is opposite of what I have heard.

To update the temperature, the module looks at several different factors, as listed below.

> Engine Cold

If ignition has been on for less than five minutes, and was previously off for longer than two hours, the engine is cold and does not affect the temperature sensor. Therefore, the current sensor data is used.

> Engine Warm, Updated Temperature Cooler

If ignition has been on for longer than five minutes or if the ignition was off for less than two hours, the engine compartment may be warm from the heat of the engine. The current sensor data is used only if it is less than the stored temperature reading from before.

> Engine Warm, Updated Temperature Warmer

If the sensor data indicates a higher temperature, the module looks at the vehicle speed to determine whether engine heat is causing erroneous readings. A "high speed counter" is used to determine this. The counter is incremented when the speed is greater than 53 km/h (33 mph) and decremented when the speed is between 16-53 km/h (10-33 mph). If the speed is less than 16 km/h (10 mph), the counter is reset, and the displayed temperature is not updated from its last reading. If the counter is greater than two minutes, the currently sensed temperature is displayed. If the high-speed counter has counted less than two minutes, the temperature is allowed to increase only one degree per minute.

If the temperature sensor is short- or open-circuited, the display will read SC or OC, respectively, instead of a temperature. If the temperature drops below 3.3C (38F) or is below 3.3C (38F) upon power-up, the display will alternate between displaying "ICE" and the temperature. The display will alternate every two seconds for a time of one minute.

Based on the above info I would recommend hooking up the VSS wire in order to achieve maximum accuracy.
I haven't heard any of that before, that's great to know! Thanks for correcting me.
__________________
Baby Girl: 2006 White Ranger XL with many memories. R.I.P. 1/26/15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan03CO View Post
I knew you were an alright guy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford4thot View Post
The only reason it's worn out junk is because you've gone 70k miles without changing the oil.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to: Install new carpet Korey How-To Submissions 7 01-16-2012 02:45 PM
Discuss How To: Jet Chip Install 02'4.04x4 How-To Submissions 11 07-01-2011 06:44 PM
'04 3.0 install new battery g-ann General Ford Ranger Discussion 4 11-03-2009 07:44 PM
How-To: OHC Install mossyoak03 Interior Guides 0 09-23-2009 08:09 AM
How to: Install new carpet Korey Interior Guides 0 09-23-2009 08:05 AM