Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #676  
Old 05-31-2016, 08:02 AM
vista4.0 vista4.0 is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,595
Default Re: How-To: OHC Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan03CO View Post
This post not what you're after for a 2004?

How-To: OHC Install
Well that should work.

ChasVS if you dont have stock map lights, you still need to run a wire up to the OHC
__________________
2007 Ford Ranger XLT Vista Blue
4x4 4.0L w/5 speed manual, 4.10 L/S
Double Lifted on Fox Coilovers
33x12.50 KO2s on 15x10 Steelies

1998 Ford Ranger XL - Daily Beater 2.5L Auto - Lowered 4/6 with c-notch
Reply With Quote
  #677  
Old 05-31-2016, 08:23 AM
ChasVS ChasVS is offline
Ford Rangers
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 210
Default Re: How-To: OHC Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan03CO View Post
This post not what you're after for a 2004?

OHC - Wire Locations & Colors - 2004
I need to know where to wire that I ran to the dome light really needs to go to power the Map lights. A Switched hot wire is what I think I need and the Light switch or dimmer connector would seem logical. Any recommendations?
(I would think a Switched wire would be preferable to an always HOT wire so I don't ever leave the Map lights on and drain the Battery.)

Last edited by ChasVS; 05-31-2016 at 08:49 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #678  
Old 05-31-2016, 09:24 AM
vista4.0 vista4.0 is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,595
Default Re: How-To: OHC Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasVS View Post
I need to know where to wire that I ran to the dome light really needs to go to power the Map lights. A Switched hot wire is what I think I need and the Light switch or dimmer connector would seem logical. Any recommendations?
(I would think a Switched wire would be preferable to an always HOT wire so I don't ever leave the Map lights on and drain the Battery.)
light green/orange at dimmer module (near headlight switch)
__________________
2007 Ford Ranger XLT Vista Blue
4x4 4.0L w/5 speed manual, 4.10 L/S
Double Lifted on Fox Coilovers
33x12.50 KO2s on 15x10 Steelies

1998 Ford Ranger XL - Daily Beater 2.5L Auto - Lowered 4/6 with c-notch
Reply With Quote
  #679  
Old 05-31-2016, 11:38 AM
ChasVS ChasVS is offline
Ford Rangers
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 210
Default Re: How-To: OHC Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by vista4.0 View Post
light green/orange at dimmer module (near headlight switch)
Thanks!

I have a Blk/LtBlue run to the Dome light now. Does that stay there? If not, where does it go?

I have Grn/Orng wire run to a Grn/Orng on the Radio harness now. I assume that's the wire that should be run to the Dimmer module?
Reply With Quote
  #680  
Old 05-31-2016, 11:45 AM
vista4.0 vista4.0 is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,595
Default Re: How-To: OHC Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasVS View Post
Thanks!

I have a Blk/LtBlue run to the Dome light now. Does that stay there? If not, where does it go?

I have Grn/Orng wire run to a Grn/Orng on the Radio harness now. I assume that's the wire that should be run to the Dimmer module?
The blk/ltblu stays thats the actually dome light power. That turns the light on with the doors and such.

Your grn/org should go to the dimmer.
__________________
2007 Ford Ranger XLT Vista Blue
4x4 4.0L w/5 speed manual, 4.10 L/S
Double Lifted on Fox Coilovers
33x12.50 KO2s on 15x10 Steelies

1998 Ford Ranger XL - Daily Beater 2.5L Auto - Lowered 4/6 with c-notch
Reply With Quote
  #681  
Old 05-31-2016, 11:53 AM
ChasVS ChasVS is offline
Ford Rangers
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 210
Default Re: How-To: OHC Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by vista4.0 View Post
The blk/ltblu stays thats the actually dome light power. That turns the light on with the doors and such.

Your grn/org should go to the dimmer.
OK great! I'll try that and see how it goes. I have to go back in there anyway since I just found out I don't have any sound coming out of my radio now..... Wonder what I did there! :>(
Reply With Quote
  #682  
Old 06-01-2016, 10:10 AM
cowboybilly9mile cowboybilly9mile is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,767
Default Re: How-To: OHC Install

0n an 04, circuit #705 is the +12V battery saver relay (BSR) circuit and powers down after 30 minutes. It's a light green/orange wire and it can be tapped at the dimmer switch connector or the Smart Junction Box. If you do enough mods and study enough schematics, you'll notice that Ford wired the courtesy lighting to this circuit for at least a 10 year run. As for the black/light blue (can be tapped at dimmer switch or Smart Junction Box), this is circuit #53 and is on a 10 minute timer in the event that the door is left open (dome light is still of for 30 min with the dome light switch activating the light, regardless of door position). This 10 minute timer is downstream of, and wired into the 30 minute timer in the Smart Junction Box (SJB). Beginning with the 2004 MY, the SJB incorporates the interior fuse box, the former GEM, and the relays that were formerly scattered under the dash and sometimes under the hood. The SJB is effectively, a body module these days.

*Be careful what you do with the dome light circuit (#53). If you backfeed +12V into it momentarily, this will activate the BSR relay for 30 minutes. If you're working on mods (as I am now and have in the past), and depending on what you are building/doing, it is possible to have the BSR relay reengage every 30 minutes indefinitely and cause battery drain.
__________________
2004 Ranger FX4 Level II, 5R55E, Sonic Blue Pearl

Proudly JAP/ORIENTAL free since March 2000
Reply With Quote
  #683  
Old 06-01-2016, 04:52 PM
ChasVS ChasVS is offline
Ford Rangers
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 210
Default Re: How-To: OHC Install

Well a big THANK YOU to all who chimed in and talked me through this installation. It's finally finished and works like it was meant to be there! Now all I have left is to install the Buggman LED Panel in place of the broken Map Light socket and I'm DONE!!
Reply With Quote
  #684  
Old 06-01-2016, 06:00 PM
vista4.0 vista4.0 is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,595
Default Re: How-To: OHC Install

Nice glad you got it fixed up. It's a nice addition to the interior.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
__________________
2007 Ford Ranger XLT Vista Blue
4x4 4.0L w/5 speed manual, 4.10 L/S
Double Lifted on Fox Coilovers
33x12.50 KO2s on 15x10 Steelies

1998 Ford Ranger XL - Daily Beater 2.5L Auto - Lowered 4/6 with c-notch
Reply With Quote
  #685  
Old 06-02-2016, 06:25 AM
ChasVS ChasVS is offline
Ford Rangers
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 210
Default Re: How-To: OHC Install

Well that's the most detailed explanation of the wiring I've ever seen. As for my situation, I now have the Grn/Orng wire at the Dimmer switch and the Blk/Blu at the Dome Light (single bulb, no switch dome light). It all seems to work well. The Dome and Map lights come on when I open the door and time out together. Map Light works when dimmer is rolled all the way up and when I use the buttons with Key on. Any problem with this setup?



Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboybilly9mile View Post
0n an 04, circuit #705 is the +12V battery saver relay (BSR) circuit and powers down after 30 minutes. It's a light green/orange wire and it can be tapped at the dimmer switch connector or the Smart Junction Box. If you do enough mods and study enough schematics, you'll notice that Ford wired the courtesy lighting to this circuit for at least a 10 year run. As for the black/light blue (can be tapped at dimmer switch or Smart Junction Box), this is circuit #53 and is on a 10 minute timer in the event that the door is left open (dome light is still of for 30 min with the dome light switch activating the light, regardless of door position). This 10 minute timer is downstream of, and wired into the 30 minute timer in the Smart Junction Box (SJB). Beginning with the 2004 MY, the SJB incorporates the interior fuse box, the former GEM, and the relays that were formerly scattered under the dash and sometimes under the hood. The SJB is effectively, a body module these days.

*Be careful what you do with the dome light circuit (#53). If you backfeed +12V into it momentarily, this will activate the BSR relay for 30 minutes. If you're working on mods (as I am now and have in the past), and depending on what you are building/doing, it is possible to have the BSR relay reengage every 30 minutes indefinitely and cause battery drain.
Reply With Quote
  #686  
Old 06-02-2016, 10:30 AM
cowboybilly9mile cowboybilly9mile is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,767
Default Re: How-To: OHC Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasVS View Post
Well that's the most detailed explanation of the wiring I've ever seen. As for my situation, I now have the Grn/Orng wire at the Dimmer switch and the Blk/Blu at the Dome Light (single bulb, no switch dome light). It all seems to work well. The Dome and Map lights come on when I open the door and time out together. Map Light works when dimmer is rolled all the way up and when I use the buttons with Key on. Any problem with this setup?

Assuming you mimicked the Ford setup for the Explorer (which is the general idea), then nope. And FWIW, if you don't have a cargo light and want to add one, you can tap into the BK/PK wire at the dimmer switch and as such, the cargo light comes on only when you want it to, not every time the door is opened. Provided you run that single wire to the light then ground it, there will be no surprises.




*The reason I mentioned being aware of backfeeding and resulting unintended behaviors on 04-06 MY's came to be when I made/confirmed this while doing two mods, a) stereo/PW/wipers stay on until door is opened or 30 minutes and b) fade-to-off/theater lighting. Both of these mods involved tapping into the timer and dome light circuits on the SJB, an apparently proprietary to Ford device.
__________________
2004 Ranger FX4 Level II, 5R55E, Sonic Blue Pearl

Proudly JAP/ORIENTAL free since March 2000
Reply With Quote
  #687  
Old 06-02-2016, 11:14 AM
ChasVS ChasVS is offline
Ford Rangers
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 210
Default Re: How-To: OHC Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboybilly9mile View Post
Assuming you mimicked the Ford setup for the Explorer (which is the general idea), then nope. And FWIW, if you don't have a cargo light and want to add one, you can tap into the BK/PK wire at the dimmer switch and as such, the cargo light comes on only when you want it to, not every time the door is opened. Provided you run that single wire to the light then ground it, there will be no surprises.




*The reason I mentioned being aware of backfeeding and resulting unintended behaviors on 04-06 MY's came to be when I made/confirmed this while doing two mods, a) stereo/PW/wipers stay on until door is opened or 30 minutes and b) fade-to-off/theater lighting. Both of these mods involved tapping into the timer and dome light circuits on the SJB, an apparently proprietary to Ford device.

OK, thanks for the info!
Reply With Quote
  #688  
Old 06-04-2016, 08:00 AM
ChasVS ChasVS is offline
Ford Rangers
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 210
Default Re: How-To: OHC Install

Well thanks to a bunch of folks and the Buggman's LED panel my OHC is installed and working like a charm! Great fit and the LED panel throws a ton of light!

Thanks again to all who helped out with their expertise and suggestions!



And to think this project started because the previous owner had a decal or something stuck to the headliner and it looked like when it was removed it tore the headliner fabric down to the hardboard backing. I wanted to cover that area up with something and the OHC upgrade seemed to be the perfect thing! Love the way it all turned out and for a LOT less than a New headliner or even a used one!

Last edited by ChasVS; 06-04-2016 at 08:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #689  
Old 06-04-2016, 08:06 AM
hermdiggle hermdiggle is offline
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 41
Default Re: How-To: OHC Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasVS View Post
Well thanks to a bunch of folks and the Buggman's LED panel my OHC is installed and working like a charm! Great fit and the LED panel throws a ton of light!

Thanks again to all who helped out with their expertise and suggestions!


That looks great! I'm too chicken spit to cut into my headliner and drill holes.
__________________
2010 XLT 2.3L 2WD Extended Cab Dark Shadow Gray Metallic.
Reply With Quote
  #690  
Old 06-04-2016, 08:07 AM
msparks msparks is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 907
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasVS View Post
Well thanks to a bunch of folks and the Buggman's LED panel my OHC is installed and working like a charm! Great fit and the LED panel throws a ton of light! Thanks again to all who helped out with their expertise and suggestions!
Looks awesome
__________________
2005 FX4 4.0 SOHC L/S 4.10 Automatic Transmission k&n drop-in air filter, filter box mod, LED tag and back up lights
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to: Install new carpet Korey How-To Submissions 7 01-16-2012 02:45 PM
Discuss How To: Jet Chip Install 02'4.04x4 How-To Submissions 11 07-01-2011 06:44 PM
'04 3.0 install new battery g-ann General Ford Ranger Discussion 4 11-03-2009 07:44 PM
How-To: OHC Install mossyoak03 Interior Guides 0 09-23-2009 08:09 AM
How to: Install new carpet Korey Interior Guides 0 09-23-2009 08:05 AM