Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 10-10-2013, 12:11 PM
jimbop99 jimbop99 is offline
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 31
Default 2001 XLT 2WD front rotors, pads, bearings OMG!!!

I've been doing a lot of searching and my head is spinning. I just bought this truck about three weeks ago with about 47K on the clock. All is going well until I went through the glove compartment. I found a receipt from the previous owners trip to Midas where they recommended the drivers side wheel bearing be replaced due to minor play in the wheel. Today I did some investigation and the wheel wiggles when my hands are on the top and bottom of the tire. Looking further it appears the pads are original so I'm thinking of replacing the pads, rotors (not sure if I should just have them turned, if possible) and bearings. I've read all "how to's" and watched all the videos, I'm pretty sure I'm up to the task. My problem is the parts. I'm a fan of RockAuto but I'm afraid with all the different choices I might pick out the wrong parts, so NAPA, or Autozone, etc. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-10-2013, 01:12 PM
modelageek modelageek is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,268
Default Re: 2001 XLT 2WD front rotors, pads, bearings OMG!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbop99 View Post
I've been doing a lot of searching and my head is spinning. I just bought this truck about three weeks ago with about 47K on the clock. All is going well until I went through the glove compartment. I found a receipt from the previous owners trip to Midas where they recommended the drivers side wheel bearing be replaced due to minor play in the wheel. Today I did some investigation and the wheel wiggles when my hands are on the top and bottom of the tire. Looking further it appears the pads are original so I'm thinking of replacing the pads, rotors (not sure if I should just have them turned, if possible) and bearings. I've read all "how to's" and watched all the videos, I'm pretty sure I'm up to the task. My problem is the parts. I'm a fan of RockAuto but I'm afraid with all the different choices I might pick out the wrong parts, so NAPA, or Autozone, etc. Thanks.
You need to figure out if you have 4 wheel abs? Do you have coil springs or torsion bars? Pull the wheel and measure the rotor.

I would only use Timkin bearings.

Some Oriellys turn rotors.

Buy new seals.

Motorcraft are the rotors to get if money is not an issue.

47k is awesome.

Create a detailed signature.
__________________
2004 Ext Cab, 4WD, 4.0, Auto, 154k. (4.0 engine is out of a 2009 Ranger w/96k) ( as of 7/1/2017)

2004 Ranger, Ext Cab, 2WD, 3.0, 5 speed , 4WABS, crank windows, no cruise, Edge 116k.(6/5,2014) (SOLD).
1999 Ford Ranger, Reg Cab, 2.5, 5 speed, 2WD, no AC, 150k (SOLD).
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-10-2013, 01:18 PM
Mike In Bama Mike In Bama is offline
Electronics Tech
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,194
Default

If you're more comfortable buying local, go right ahead.

Have the rotors turned, it isn't very. That will eliminate a lot of potential problems that aren't visible - such as any warpage. Your new pads will last many years, trouble free.

Pack the new bearings, and install them, remembering which are inside and which are outside. Install the rotor. Now, GO WASH YOUR HANDS THOROUGHLY!

If you get ANY grease on the pads you have to throw them away. No, they can't be cleaned well enough!!

Boom, boom, you're done.

Electronics Tech
__________________
2005 2.3L XL 5SOD 3.73 K&N
KYB Shocks Husky Toolbox
Alpine / Rockford Fosgate Sound

"Ask me about my AC Vent fix!"
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-10-2013, 02:48 PM
jimbop99 jimbop99 is offline
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 31
Default Re: 2001 XLT 2WD front rotors, pads, bearings OMG!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelageek View Post
You need to figure out if you have 4 wheel abs? Do you have coil springs or torsion bars? Pull the wheel and measure the rotor.
Do I have 4 wheels abs? This is the question. I need confirmation on this. From what I've read 2001+ all have 4 wheel ABS. ? I know I have coil springs but I will measure the rotor and get the Timken bearings. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-10-2013, 03:02 PM
modelageek modelageek is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,268
Default Re: 2001 XLT 2WD front rotors, pads, bearings OMG!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbop99 View Post
Do I have 4 wheels abs? This is the question. I need confirmation on this. From what I've read 2001+ all have 4 wheel ABS. ? I know I have coil springs but I will measure the rotor and get the Timken bearings. Thanks.
If it looks like this you have 4 wheel abs

__________________
2004 Ext Cab, 4WD, 4.0, Auto, 154k. (4.0 engine is out of a 2009 Ranger w/96k) ( as of 7/1/2017)

2004 Ranger, Ext Cab, 2WD, 3.0, 5 speed , 4WABS, crank windows, no cruise, Edge 116k.(6/5,2014) (SOLD).
1999 Ford Ranger, Reg Cab, 2.5, 5 speed, 2WD, no AC, 150k (SOLD).
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-10-2013, 03:04 PM
johnday johnday is offline
Useless olde guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,226
Default Re: 2001 XLT 2WD front rotors, pads, bearings OMG!!!

Timkens, YES, don't go cheap and get the chinacrap. Same with pads, Wagner ThermoQuiets, they're ceramic, and produce no noticeable dust. Your wheels will thank you. I'd go with new rotors as well, Ford OEM, but that's just me. Always seemed a good idea to me to just do everything new.
__________________
'04 Edge, Scab/flareside, 2wd, 3.0, 5 speed, 4:10 open. Billet grille, Raceline Raptor black wheels, 265/75/16 DuraTracs. Tbar crank, AAL. Fox shocks, Thrush welded SI/DO swept back side exit. Morimoto projectors, '06 tails and power mirrors. LEDs all the way around. Blacked out fender badge. Access Limited rollup tonneau. 5% tint on back three windows. Airbox mod, FWIW. And a Border Collie that likes it too!!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-10-2013, 03:12 PM
jimbop99 jimbop99 is offline
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 31
Default Re: 2001 XLT 2WD front rotors, pads, bearings OMG!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelageek View Post
If it looks like this you have 4 wheel abs

Not exactly the same as mine but has the three lines coming out, so it looks like 4 wheel ABS. Thanks for the picture.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-12-2013, 10:19 AM
jimbop99 jimbop99 is offline
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 31
Default Re: 2001 XLT 2WD front rotors, pads, bearings OMG!!!

Thanks for all the input. I feel confident I ordered all the correct parts form Rockauto. New bearings and seals (Timken), rotors and pads. One last thing, hopefully, is what type of wheel bearing grease. Is the red synthetic better than a plain jane grease. I've also seen a Valvoline grease specifically for Ford.
__________________
2001 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD 4.0L DWB
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-12-2013, 10:21 AM
djfllmn djfllmn is offline
ford dealer parts guy
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 20,888
Send a message via AIM to djfllmn
Default Re: 2001 XLT 2WD front rotors, pads, bearings OMG!!!

you do have 4 wheel abs...ford made it standard across the board in 2001
__________________
18 F150 Supercab XLT 2.7
1968 Thunderbird
Past: 16 F150 5.0, 14 F150 5.0, 07 F150 5.4, 03 Ranger 4.0

Master Certified Ford Parts / Warranty Admin
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-12-2013, 01:09 PM
gatordog gatordog is offline
Ford Truck Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 82
Default Re: 2001 XLT 2WD front rotors, pads, bearings OMG!!!

Does your truck have regular bearings or unit bearings? What year did they change over to the unit style?
__________________
2002 Ranger Edge Supercab 3.0 Auto 4x2 White
2005 VW TDI Golf
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-12-2013, 01:37 PM
modelageek modelageek is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,268
Default Re: 2001 XLT 2WD front rotors, pads, bearings OMG!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatordog View Post
Does your truck have regular bearings or unit bearings? What year did they change over to the unit style?
4wd are units.
__________________
2004 Ext Cab, 4WD, 4.0, Auto, 154k. (4.0 engine is out of a 2009 Ranger w/96k) ( as of 7/1/2017)

2004 Ranger, Ext Cab, 2WD, 3.0, 5 speed , 4WABS, crank windows, no cruise, Edge 116k.(6/5,2014) (SOLD).
1999 Ford Ranger, Reg Cab, 2.5, 5 speed, 2WD, no AC, 150k (SOLD).
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-15-2013, 07:41 AM
jimbop99 jimbop99 is offline
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 31
Default Re: 2001 XLT 2WD front rotors, pads, bearings OMG!!!

The parts are coming today but I won't start until tomorrow. I was thinking about packing the new bearings today in prep for tomorrow. This sound like a good idea?
__________________
2001 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD 4.0L DWB
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-15-2013, 07:49 AM
modelageek modelageek is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,268
Default Re: 2001 XLT 2WD front rotors, pads, bearings OMG!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbop99 View Post
The parts are coming today but I won't start until tomorrow. I was thinking about packing the new bearings today in prep for tomorrow. This sound like a good idea?
As long as you are positive they are the correct bearings. I like to match the new and old parts up best I can before I start. I have a box of latex gloves that I would use for doing your project. They are $5 for around a hundred at job lot. Put the gloves on and break the job down. Throw gloves away. Put new gloves on and grease bearings. Throw gloves away. Etc etc.
__________________
2004 Ext Cab, 4WD, 4.0, Auto, 154k. (4.0 engine is out of a 2009 Ranger w/96k) ( as of 7/1/2017)

2004 Ranger, Ext Cab, 2WD, 3.0, 5 speed , 4WABS, crank windows, no cruise, Edge 116k.(6/5,2014) (SOLD).
1999 Ford Ranger, Reg Cab, 2.5, 5 speed, 2WD, no AC, 150k (SOLD).
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-15-2013, 01:57 PM
jimbop99 jimbop99 is offline
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 31
Default Re: 2001 XLT 2WD front rotors, pads, bearings OMG!!!

Parts arrived and I decided to go ahead and pack the bearings. I also installed the inner bearing and grease seal. Tomorrow should hopefully go smoothly.
__________________
2001 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD 4.0L DWB
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discuss How To: Replace front brakes: Pads, Rotors, wheel bearings Brooksthepro How-To Submissions 20 01-11-2017 10:56 AM
Best/cost efficient front rotors/ pads? AllBlackBimmer General Tech 3 03-06-2013 06:19 AM
2WD front wheel bearings... 94mtx Drivetrain Tech 8 02-01-2012 05:26 PM
Need a recommendation on front pads/rotors Clinton General Tech 12 10-09-2010 01:31 PM
2001 XLT 2wd front end lift 01 Ranger Lifted Suspension 7 09-30-2010 12:22 PM