Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #31  
Old 03-22-2010, 12:52 AM
knightmare1015 knightmare1015 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,010
Default Re: Fast and the furious mini truck style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richarddhoward View Post
I love diesel. When I was a kid it was trucks, trains, and tractors. You had one I wanted to see it. Now I work on all of the above lol I went to diesel because it was the only thing I hadn't tackled yet as far as engines. I've done superchargers, turbos, NA engines. Powered by petroleum and ethanol, but the shit for me was diesel. And I've always been the truck guy. I bought a truck because it's functional, that's how I roll. I can take all my crap with me and look good doing it. I hate guys that just buy a 3/4 ton to look pretty. We bitch about gas mileage, we need to make smaller trucks more enticing if these people are going to buy a truck. Put a 4 cyl diesel in a Ranger/ugly ass Colorado/ Taco/ Frontier/ Dakota I tell you I will probably buy it. Not a Mahindri they are ugly and I know jack squat about them. I have nothing against guys that own lowered trucks as I own one, but once you cut the bed up to make it lay frame, same thing, they look bad ass and eventually I'll buy one or build one, but useless. I was the guy people call to haul and tow things.

I actually just put my app in at Ford to hopefully work with them on their diesel program. I'm a GM guy so my next truck will probably be a one ton dually Duramax, but I am definatily excited to see the new Scorpion 6.7l diesel they have coming out. Plus I really do like the new look on the Super Duty.
Then you'll be please to know that my neighbor across the street bought a used duramax diesel but returned it due to engine problems. You'll love the Ford Fact program it's intense but fun. And turbonetics is whom ford uses. Oh, they have a new turbocharger out too. www.turboneticsinc.com click on the PDF version of the 2010 catalog and download it. Go to page 43 and start drooling. 2,600 lbs of thrust capacity. 3,500 Horses and god knows how much torque. THIS IS FROM A SINGLE TURBO CHARGER TOO. No wonder they're kings of turbocharging.
__________________
SOLD: 2004 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0 V6 5 speed



www.knightmare1015.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03-22-2010, 01:09 AM
richarddhoward richarddhoward is offline
Road Trippin' King!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,010
Send a message via MSN to richarddhoward
Default Re: Fast and the furious mini truck style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightmare1015 View Post
Then you'll be please to know that my neighbor across the street bought a used duramax diesel but returned it due to engine problems. You'll love the Ford Fact program it's intense but fun. And turbonetics is whom ford uses. Oh, they have a new turbocharger out too. www.turboneticsinc.com click on the PDF version of the 2010 catalog and download it. Go to page 43 and start drooling. 2,600 lbs of thrust capacity. 3,500 Horses and god knows how much torque. THIS IS FROM A SINGLE TURBO CHARGER TOO. No wonder they're kings of turbocharging.
Ford also has been tinkering with turbos more then any other domestic OEM manufacturer. The use a Garrett on the current engines at the moment I believe, the VGT in them is a sick set up on the twin turbo. Ford also makes their systems very complex too!! I like the fact that Ford still uses a solid axle front! Unlike the crappy GM setup, which if I get one I'm doing the conversion to a solid axle.

But I am looking at a GMC around an 05 lol I own a GMC Sonoma too and grew up GM, but this Ranger has made me a believer.

__________________
97 Ranger - 4.0 V6 auto, 4wd, 31x10.5x15s Wild Country XTX Sport All Terrains, Warn locking hubs, Pioneer deck with iPod attachment, Snugtop Topper, K&N filter, scan gauge II, Hella 500 Lights, More parts coming, waiting for the paycheck to get bigger!

Truck built in loving memory of Norm Howard
Outcast Racing
PNW Crew!!!
Afterhours Clan!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_ariens View Post
I think Henry just shit himself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radness View Post
Its kind of like that carnival game "Whack A Mole" but with guns! Haha
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 03-22-2010, 01:21 AM
knightmare1015 knightmare1015 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,010
Default Re: Fast and the furious mini truck style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richarddhoward View Post
Ford also has been tinkering with turbos more then any other domestic OEM manufacturer. The use a Garrett on the current engines at the moment I believe, the VGT in them is a sick set up on the twin turbo. Ford also makes their systems very complex too!! I like the fact that Ford still uses a solid axle front! Unlike the crappy GM setup, which if I get one I'm doing the conversion to a solid axle.

But I am looking at a GMC around an 05 lol I own a GMC Sonoma too and grew up GM, but this Ranger has made me a believer.


Nice man. Actually Ford did go to Turbonetics for their diesels. That's why Turbonetics are usually the first to announce a new product before anyone else. But from where they take their sweet ass time testing and research they aint the first but the results of that is Turbos that are top notch quality. That eco boost V6 made a believer out of Darrel Waltrip today when he drove a mustang with that engine in it. I wonder if Ford plans on adding that to the new 5.0 Coyote engine. Twin turboed direct injected 5.0 Coyote evil is what I'd call it.
__________________
SOLD: 2004 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0 V6 5 speed



www.knightmare1015.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 03-22-2010, 01:23 AM
richarddhoward richarddhoward is offline
Road Trippin' King!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,010
Send a message via MSN to richarddhoward
Default Re: Fast and the furious mini truck style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightmare1015 View Post
Nice man. Actually Ford did go to Turbonetics for their diesels. That's why Turbonetics are usually the first to announce a new product before anyone else. But from where they take their sweet ass time testing and research they aint the first but the results of that is Turbos that are top notch quality. That eco boost V6 made a believer out of Darrel Waltrip today when he drove a mustang with that engine in it. I wonder if Ford plans on adding that to the new 5.0 Coyote engine. Twin turboed direct injected 5.0 Coyote evil is what I'd call it.
I want a commuter car, because frankly, I'll end up commuting knowing me. I can't live in the city, I'd like to be able to pee off my back porch and my neighbors be no where near me lol So I'm waiting for the Ford dealer here or back home to get a new SHO in, I loved the old ones, I want to try a new one. If I don't like it I'm going TDI VW or Audi
__________________
97 Ranger - 4.0 V6 auto, 4wd, 31x10.5x15s Wild Country XTX Sport All Terrains, Warn locking hubs, Pioneer deck with iPod attachment, Snugtop Topper, K&N filter, scan gauge II, Hella 500 Lights, More parts coming, waiting for the paycheck to get bigger!

Truck built in loving memory of Norm Howard
Outcast Racing
PNW Crew!!!
Afterhours Clan!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_ariens View Post
I think Henry just shit himself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radness View Post
Its kind of like that carnival game "Whack A Mole" but with guns! Haha
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 03-22-2010, 01:24 AM
richarddhoward richarddhoward is offline
Road Trippin' King!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,010
Send a message via MSN to richarddhoward
Default Re: Fast and the furious mini truck style.

Oh and the Sonoma is my first truck, it's my baby lol I'm looking at turboing the 2.2 in it or getting a 2.0t out of a solstice or sky and dropping it in. The hood design is based off a 71 Mustang Mach 1, they make it for the Ranger too, and when I can afford it I'm getting it lol
__________________
97 Ranger - 4.0 V6 auto, 4wd, 31x10.5x15s Wild Country XTX Sport All Terrains, Warn locking hubs, Pioneer deck with iPod attachment, Snugtop Topper, K&N filter, scan gauge II, Hella 500 Lights, More parts coming, waiting for the paycheck to get bigger!

Truck built in loving memory of Norm Howard
Outcast Racing
PNW Crew!!!
Afterhours Clan!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_ariens View Post
I think Henry just shit himself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radness View Post
Its kind of like that carnival game "Whack A Mole" but with guns! Haha
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 03-22-2010, 01:52 AM
Coleosis Coleosis is offline
The Sickest
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 451
Default Re: Fast and the furious mini truck style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richarddhoward View Post
Oh and the Sonoma is my first truck, it's my baby lol I'm looking at turboing the 2.2 in it or getting a 2.0t out of a solstice or sky and dropping it in. The hood design is based off a 71 Mustang Mach 1, they make it for the Ranger too, and when I can afford it I'm getting it lol
If you are going to get a 2.0t get an SR20det...I dont care if you dont like imports.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 03-22-2010, 01:54 AM
richarddhoward richarddhoward is offline
Road Trippin' King!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,010
Send a message via MSN to richarddhoward
Default Re: Fast and the furious mini truck style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleosis View Post
If you are going to get a 2.0t get an SR20det...I dont care if you dont like imports.
Been there done that, Mikes94Turbo had a 240 with the GTR or GTS engine, they don't hold boost worth a damn, on top of that it's not OBD II, and it won't fit. To long
__________________
97 Ranger - 4.0 V6 auto, 4wd, 31x10.5x15s Wild Country XTX Sport All Terrains, Warn locking hubs, Pioneer deck with iPod attachment, Snugtop Topper, K&N filter, scan gauge II, Hella 500 Lights, More parts coming, waiting for the paycheck to get bigger!

Truck built in loving memory of Norm Howard
Outcast Racing
PNW Crew!!!
Afterhours Clan!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_ariens View Post
I think Henry just shit himself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radness View Post
Its kind of like that carnival game "Whack A Mole" but with guns! Haha
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 03-22-2010, 02:40 AM
Ranger Sport Ranger Sport is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,137
Default Re: Fast and the furious mini truck style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleosis View Post
If you are going to get a 2.0t get an SR20det...I dont care if you dont like imports.
Between the overestimated sr20det and the severely underestimated 2.0 ecotec (or the 2.2), i'd go with the second.

Then again, the main reasons i'm not a fan of japanese engines are the regular breaks and that legendary blue/black smoke you always see coming out of those ricemobiles.


Oh yeah, and the weak hp to torque ratio.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 03-22-2010, 02:53 AM
richarddhoward richarddhoward is offline
Road Trippin' King!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,010
Send a message via MSN to richarddhoward
Default Re: Fast and the furious mini truck style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Sport View Post
Between the overestimated sr20det and the severely underestimated 2.0 ecotec (or the 2.2), i'd go with the second.

Then again, the main reasons i'm not a fan of japanese engines are the regular breaks and that legendary blue/black smoke you always see coming out of those ricemobiles.


Oh yeah, and the weak hp to torque ratio.
Yup lol the 2.2l is a different stroke length than that of the 2.0. The 2.2l Ecotec engine, the ones found in Sunfires, and Cavaliers, not the one in my truck but the blocks are similar, have been boosted to 1400 hp in the drag cars without a lot of engine block modification. So I am told, I do not know that for a fact. I myself am only looking for around 300 horsepower or so. The 2.2 is also a durable as hell engine, similar to the 2.3 found in our Ford Ranger (just talking durabilitywise). Trust me I've beat mine up for 80k miles and it's still going strong. I know guys with 300000 engines on this engine and they just do the maintanence on them to keep them running. I am going to do a complete engine build then turbo if I go with the 2.2l or if I get the 2.0t I will be doing all the major maintenance it would need if it say had 100k miles on it, regardless of miles, then I will add some of the performance mods that are available for the Solstice/Sky. That is why I looked at a 2.0t because there are way more performance mods available there. Nissan engines are cool, but after helping build several, and towing more of them home then watching go down the track, I'm sticking with the GM engine
__________________
97 Ranger - 4.0 V6 auto, 4wd, 31x10.5x15s Wild Country XTX Sport All Terrains, Warn locking hubs, Pioneer deck with iPod attachment, Snugtop Topper, K&N filter, scan gauge II, Hella 500 Lights, More parts coming, waiting for the paycheck to get bigger!

Truck built in loving memory of Norm Howard
Outcast Racing
PNW Crew!!!
Afterhours Clan!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_ariens View Post
I think Henry just shit himself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radness View Post
Its kind of like that carnival game "Whack A Mole" but with guns! Haha
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 03-22-2010, 03:18 AM
Ranger Sport Ranger Sport is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,137
Default Re: Fast and the furious mini truck style.

The fun about the 2.2 is it can handle 300hp without having to change the internals.

The only downside to ecotecs really is that they are sold by GM.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 03-22-2010, 03:19 AM
Coleosis Coleosis is offline
The Sickest
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 451
Default Re: Fast and the furious mini truck style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Sport View Post
Between the overestimated sr20det and the severely underestimated 2.0 ecotec (or the 2.2), i'd go with the second.

Then again, the main reasons i'm not a fan of japanese engines are the regular breaks and that legendary blue/black smoke you always see coming out of those ricemobiles.


Oh yeah, and the weak hp to torque ratio.
Sr20det redtop
Horsepower: 205ps @ 6000rpm
Torque: 203 ft/lbs @ 4000rpm
Stock Boost: 7 psi

2.2 ecotech specs
Horsepower: 135 hp @ 5200 rpm
Torque: 142 lb-ft @ 4400 rpm

I hate small GM motors...Seen more sunfires/cavis with engine problems than i have seen nissans with blue/black smoke...My nissans have all lasted at least 190k and the one that didnt make 200k was my fault...As for the SR being too long, I wouldnt know...the only reason I said anything was because I heard of someone else doing that build on a ranger...Dont know if it was ever successful. And it would go along with the F&F theme...
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 03-22-2010, 03:26 AM
richarddhoward richarddhoward is offline
Road Trippin' King!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,010
Send a message via MSN to richarddhoward
Default Re: Fast and the furious mini truck style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Sport View Post
The fun about the 2.2 is it can handle 300hp without having to change the internals.

The only downside to ecotecs really is that they are sold by GM.
Lol I was a GM guy first lol and I generally hate cavi's and Sunfires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleosis View Post
Sr20det redtop
Horsepower: 205ps @ 6000rpm
Torque: 203 ft/lbs @ 4000rpm
Stock Boost: 7 psi

2.2 ecotech specs
Horsepower: 135 hp @ 5200 rpm
Torque: 142 lb-ft @ 4400 rpm

I hate small GM motors...Seen more sunfires/cavis with engine problems than i have seen nissans with blue/black smoke...My nissans have all lasted at least 190k and the one that didnt make 200k was my fault...As for the SR being too long, I wouldnt know...the only reason I said anything was because I heard of someone else doing that build on a ranger...Dont know if it was ever successful. And it would go along with the F&F theme...
And I have seen more problems with Nissans then Cavi/Sunfires. Also you hp and torque ratings are negated because the Nissan engine is TURBO the GM engines are not. As for going with the F&F theme, I don't do F&F theme, I grew up muscle car lol Domestic cars not fart pipes and Hondas. How did the engines not make it to 200k because it was your fault. And when GM switched to the Ecotec the engines got way more reliable.
__________________
97 Ranger - 4.0 V6 auto, 4wd, 31x10.5x15s Wild Country XTX Sport All Terrains, Warn locking hubs, Pioneer deck with iPod attachment, Snugtop Topper, K&N filter, scan gauge II, Hella 500 Lights, More parts coming, waiting for the paycheck to get bigger!

Truck built in loving memory of Norm Howard
Outcast Racing
PNW Crew!!!
Afterhours Clan!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_ariens View Post
I think Henry just shit himself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radness View Post
Its kind of like that carnival game "Whack A Mole" but with guns! Haha
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 03-22-2010, 03:38 AM
Coleosis Coleosis is offline
The Sickest
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 451
Default Re: Fast and the furious mini truck style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richarddhoward View Post
Lol I was a GM guy first lol and I generally hate cavi's and Sunfires



And I have seen more problems with Nissans then Cavi/Sunfires. Also you hp and torque ratings are negated because the Nissan engine is TURBO the GM engines are not. As for going with the F&F theme, I don't do F&F theme, I grew up muscle car lol Domestic cars not fart pipes and Hondas. How did the engines not make it to 200k because it was your fault. And when GM switched to the Ecotec the engines got way more reliable.
I was just going off stock specs. I included the boost....You dont have to do a fart can just because you have a nissan....We've both had different experiences with them obviously. IMO from the ones Ive seen, GM just cant make a good 4cyl motor....Have yet to see one in person with over 150k and nothing major done like a head gasket or something...mostly gaskets blowing.

Because I didnt change the oil for about 20k miles and got it up over 90mph all the time...I basically just drove the fuck out of it and didnt do any maintenance. Bought the car for $500, sold it for $500 with the engine and trans in barely operable condition. I think the only money I put in that car was for the window regulator, an air filter when I first got it, gas and a sub, which I took the sub out before selling. It was the 3.0 v6 in my 91 maxima...That thing was built like a tank and would go 85-90mph and not even feel like it.

ive heard nothing but bad things about the newer nissans though....I dont have any experience with them, Ive known 3 people with 02+ altimas and all of them had engine trouble and got rid of them.

Last edited by Coleosis; 03-22-2010 at 03:41 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 03-22-2010, 03:56 AM
richarddhoward richarddhoward is offline
Road Trippin' King!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,010
Send a message via MSN to richarddhoward
Default Re: Fast and the furious mini truck style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleosis View Post
I was just going off stock specs. I included the boost....You dont have to do a fart can just because you have a nissan....We've both had different experiences with them obviously. IMO from the ones Ive seen, GM just cant make a good 4cyl motor....Have yet to see one in person with over 150k and nothing major done like a head gasket or something...mostly gaskets blowing.

Because I didnt change the oil for about 20k miles and got it up over 90mph all the time...I basically just drove the fuck out of it and didnt do any maintenance. Bought the car for $500, sold it for $500 with the engine and trans in barely operable condition. I think the only money I put in that car was for the window regulator, an air filter when I first got it, gas and a sub, which I took the sub out before selling. It was the 3.0 v6 in my 91 maxima...That thing was built like a tank and would go 85-90mph and not even feel like it.

ive heard nothing but bad things about the newer nissans though....I dont have any experience with them, Ive known 3 people with 02+ altimas and all of them had engine trouble and got rid of them.
An Altima doesn't have a turbo which helps lead to the black/blue smoke we are talking about
And I'm saying that the difference in the SR20DETT and the Ecotec 2.2 is going to be different because the turbo will help produce more hp.
As for GM 4 cylinder's blowing gaskets yes that can be true, but that is true anywere. I have seen several 2.2l non Ecotec and Ecotec engines with over 150k on them. They are pretty stout, and my 2.2l is at 110k right now, no smoke and running better than ever because of good maintenance.

And yes we have had different experiences with them and they are probably vastly different. I won't buy a GM 4 cyl older than about 94 and that is only in the trucks, because their older ones are POS's lol And I was saying fart cans as a reference to it being Asian imported, I ment no offense to those of us that buy real honest to goodness cars from foreign manufacturer's like Nissan to drive like sensible people.
__________________
97 Ranger - 4.0 V6 auto, 4wd, 31x10.5x15s Wild Country XTX Sport All Terrains, Warn locking hubs, Pioneer deck with iPod attachment, Snugtop Topper, K&N filter, scan gauge II, Hella 500 Lights, More parts coming, waiting for the paycheck to get bigger!

Truck built in loving memory of Norm Howard
Outcast Racing
PNW Crew!!!
Afterhours Clan!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_ariens View Post
I think Henry just shit himself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radness View Post
Its kind of like that carnival game "Whack A Mole" but with guns! Haha
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 03-22-2010, 04:17 AM
Coleosis Coleosis is offline
The Sickest
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 451
Default Re: Fast and the furious mini truck style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richarddhoward View Post
An Altima doesn't have a turbo which helps lead to the black/blue smoke we are talking about
And I'm saying that the difference in the SR20DETT and the Ecotec 2.2 is going to be different because the turbo will help produce more hp.
As for GM 4 cylinder's blowing gaskets yes that can be true, but that is true anywere. I have seen several 2.2l non Ecotec and Ecotec engines with over 150k on them. They are pretty stout, and my 2.2l is at 110k right now, no smoke and running better than ever because of good maintenance.

And yes we have had different experiences with them and they are probably vastly different. I won't buy a GM 4 cyl older than about 94 and that is only in the trucks, because their older ones are POS's lol And I was saying fart cans as a reference to it being Asian imported, I ment no offense to those of us that buy real honest to goodness cars from foreign manufacturer's like Nissan to drive like sensible people.
My next project will either be a 240sx or a crown vic...If I get the 240, Imma put an SR in it...so yall will be getting plenty of feedback about it...and probably some questions since it will be my first turbo car....If I go with the crown vic, think I will still go turbo...That pure evil marauder is just so sexy. I know it isnt turbo, but I cant have shit sticking out of the hood in a car thats supposed to look street legal.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
buying a used mini-truck; nissan hardbody or ford ranger? The Revenge I General Ford Ranger Discussion 29 12-05-2013 07:42 PM
Representing FRF in style! Sandman Vehicle Snapshots 10 06-06-2010 08:57 PM
Music Style davidjsouth Music/Movies/Computers/etc. 24 02-06-2010 08:49 PM
Mini trk cake ! Old-skool1972 Vehicle Snapshots 7 10-13-2009 05:25 PM
what forum style do you view in? mr.ranger Off Topic 15 10-01-2009 08:24 AM