Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   General Ford Ranger Discussion (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-ford-ranger-discussion/)
-   -   high mileage ranger worth it? (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-ford-ranger-discussion/93290-high-mileage-ranger-worth.html)

Eric2.5 06-09-2013 08:14 AM

high mileage ranger worth it?
 
couple of months ago I sold my non running short box 97 Ranger 2.3 5-speed for 300 dollars. I want another one and just yesterday I found a 1997 extended cab, 4cyl, 5-speed with 205,000 miles on it and he wants 1,250 for it.

The truck is a 1997 and the same exact drivetrain/motor as my old one, with 205,000 miles and actually drove pretty good on the 5 mile test drive I did on it yesterday. Of course it has some problems and I expected that, but I know how to work on Rangers and parts are cheap for them, so if I need to put this or that on it or change the motor(I have a spare) it won't bother me much. Rangers are fun to work on so....it won't be that big of a deal.

The main problems I seen so far are a semi rough idle and a buzzing/whining sound that comes and goes while driving. Sounds like it may be a tranny gear mesh noise, but could be the pipes buzzing on the frame, not sure. It drives decent, it does start good, no major leaks, has about the same power output as my old Ranger, shifts great, brakes are there and strong, gas tank is up in there good and straps aren't rusted, rear shackles have been replaced, Steering acts a wee bit loose, but no big deal...I can fix that if it needs a tie rod or something.

The truck itself looks good body wise... it has some rust at the bottom of the passenger side door, but really not major, right front fender was replaced I noticed and they tried to repair the bottom of the tailgate with some light metal and rivets.(I've seen A LOT worse Rangers around here driving around) It is a flare side. Tires are drivable, but I have a new set and new wheels at home to put on it. The drivers side door doesn't shut like it should....you have to slam it a bit, not much. The interior needs work...drivers seat really sucks!:eek: the cushion is gone and you sink down in plus the back won't go up or down anymore....that needs to be replaced....no big deal. It stinks in there too. Not like cigars or anything, but kinda funky and some putrid, old air freshner...it stinks. No big deal, I'll give her a good shampooing.

So the truck is solid, frame is straight and not rotted, just typical NE skim rust on it, but smooth, not pitted rusty or large flakes of rust rear end housing looks dry, all the brake lines look to be in good shape, no cob jobs or anything. One of the shocks looks leaky...no big deal. and the exhaust looks excellent and runs quietly.

IMO it is a totally driveable truck as it is, looks pretty good(not junky at all) and I know it will need a part here and there, but again, easy to work on and fun, plus parts are cheap. It did pass the 2014 inspection and smog inspection. Fresh title.

So would you give him 1,250 for it? I think it's worth it myself and I need a back-up vehicle and this seems reasonable. I could fix it up and if need be...comission it as a back-up if my high mile car gives up on me this summer. That is the lest he'll take....he originally wanted 1,500.

Thanks, guys/girls/.....

djfllmn 06-09-2013 08:17 AM

Re: high mileage ranger worth it?
 
while 1250 is too terrible of a price you may be able to do a little better...go wave 1K cash in his face and see what he does

Eric2.5 06-09-2013 08:33 AM

Re: high mileage ranger worth it?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by djfllmn (Post 1482424)
while 1250 is too terrible of a price you may be able to do a little better...go wave 1K cash in his face and see what he does

That is just what I'm going to do. Hey, it's worth a try.

I wouldn't of bothered with this truck with 205,000 miles, but we all know those old 4cyl are bullett proof, so with actually driving the truck down the road at 65 MPH with no shimmys or vibrations, it does run and looks pretty darn good body wise. So I figured that yes I may have to put this or that and replace this or whatever, but it's a solid truck and seems worth it.

It would of cost that or more to fix my old Ranger for 1,200, so....this one is drivable, plus I have a spare engine and tranny, plus brand new wheels a tires to put on it. Yeah I think I'm going to do it..... Think I'll go ahead and fix all the little nic-nacs and crap it needs, but I can actually drive it on the road as it is.

Nice little back-up vehicle too which I really need. Yeah...I'll wave the 1,000 in his face, but either way I think I'll get it.

thanks.

Eric2.5 06-09-2013 08:53 AM

Re: high mileage ranger worth it?
 
Just checked the Kelly KBB on it and using great detail on everything that truck is and getting the "Fair" value, KBB said 2,400 LMAO... with a North East zip code.

KBB says it's worth 2,400 in the North East with 205,000 miles and in fair condition. The guy wants 1,250(1,000 if I'm lucky) so....seems like a deal.

I dunno...KBB seems so way off to me and I put in every option that thing has including the AC. No way I would pay 2,400 for it....no way. 1,250....I can do.

djfllmn 06-09-2013 09:14 AM

Re: high mileage ranger worth it?
 
KBB is always way way too high

dfpgnm 06-10-2013 05:22 AM

Re: high mileage ranger worth it?
 
It stinks in there too. Not like cigars or anything, but kinda funky and some putrid, old air freshner...it stinks. No big deal, I'll give her a good shampooing.

Was this truck in a flood?

Eric2.5 06-10-2013 12:11 PM

Re: high mileage ranger worth it?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfpgnm (Post 1484628)
It stinks in there too. Not like cigars or anything, but kinda funky and some putrid, old air freshner...it stinks. No big deal, I'll give her a good shampooing.

Was this truck in a flood?


Probably not, just high mileage and years of beer farts, spilled milk and general interior abuse.

I'm still sittin on the deal, decided to see if I could extend my money range and I can, to 3,000 tops. So apparently after shopping around today, 115,000 mile, older, 2WD, 4cyl 5 speed Rangers for under 3,000 are scarce:dong: The guy I got my last one from said they are hard to find now.

The search is on, but I haven't totally excluded the 1,100 dollar, one.

Eric2.5 06-11-2013 02:13 PM

Re: high mileage ranger worth it?
 
Well I passed up the old Ranger I was getting and went searching on Craigslist for Rangers and Ford Contours(both vehicles I am very familiar with) Found a Ford Contour in a wrecked condition. I wouldn't of bothered, but it is a 1998 with 44,000 miles, and besides the damaged front, busted radiator and windshield, the car is brand new in every way. I went to see it as it was local and didn't expect that much, but thought it was worth a look. So glad I did, because you'd think it would be crap that old with very little miles from sitting around, but man I was wrong.

The story is, her grandparents gave her their old car for college, she put it in the ditch a month ago and ruined the front sheet metal, fenders etc... I inspected it for over an hour and the main frame, firewall and all the alignment all looked untouched...the bumber, fenders and entire front sheet metal caught the most force from the wreck, airbags deployed. It runs and drives perfectly....just like a new car. Obviously a garaged car and smells like new inside, interior is flawless like sitting in a new car.

So it's busted windshield, radiator, both fenders, front bumper cover, airbags, and a torn CV joint boot. I know I can get some cheap parts to fix it, I know these cars inside and out....soo I offered 800 plus tow it to my place and he agreed.

It's worth a chance to me and if I can get all of it fixed....It'll be a 44,000 mile, Z-tec powered, nice car for under 1,500 bucks.

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6b306079.jpg

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5667c5af.jpg

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/...ps98bad48a.jpg

----------

Will I get banned for posting pictures of a Contour on a Ranger forum? Well, it's still a Ford, lol.

dfpgnm 06-11-2013 04:48 PM

Re: high mileage ranger worth it?
 
And without the lovely aroma of old beer farts.

djfllmn 06-11-2013 05:07 PM

Re: high mileage ranger worth it?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric2.5 (Post 1487553)
Well I passed up the old Ranger I was getting and went searching on Craigslist for Rangers and Ford Contours(both vehicles I am very familiar with) Found a Ford Contour in a wrecked condition. I wouldn't of bothered, but it is a 1998 with 44,000 miles, and besides the damaged front, busted radiator and windshield, the car is brand new in every way. I went to see it as it was local and didn't expect that much, but thought it was worth a look. So glad I did, because you'd think it would be crap that old with very little miles from sitting around, but man I was wrong.

The story is, her grandparents gave her their old car for college, she put it in the ditch a month ago and ruined the front sheet metal, fenders etc... I inspected it for over an hour and the main frame, firewall and all the alignment all looked untouched...the bumber, fenders and entire front sheet metal caught the most force from the wreck, airbags deployed. It runs and drives perfectly....just like a new car. Obviously a garaged car and smells like new inside, interior is flawless like sitting in a new car.

So it's busted windshield, radiator, both fenders, front bumper cover, airbags, and a torn CV joint boot. I know I can get some cheap parts to fix it, I know these cars inside and out....soo I offered 800 plus tow it to my place and he agreed.

It's worth a chance to me and if I can get all of it fixed....It'll be a 44,000 mile, Z-tec powered, nice car for under 1,500 bucks.

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6b306079.jpg

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5667c5af.jpg

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/...ps98bad48a.jpg

----------

Will I get banned for posting pictures of a Contour on a Ranger forum? Well, it's still a Ford, lol.

im sure you know that frame is fucked up...jacked up in the air a good bit

Eric2.5 06-11-2013 07:11 PM

Re: high mileage ranger worth it?
 
It's the sheet metal and bumper it took the hit on, not the engine cradle. It pushed the left front sheet metal up and to the right as the bumper slammed into the ditch. The engine, k frame is all straight according to my measurements and eyeballing. Most likely I'll have to roll it over the anchor pot and jack the radiator support in that corner down...and keep working it till the new sheet metal fits pretty good.

Drove it down the road hands off the wheel and drives like new.

EMB1230 06-12-2013 10:00 PM

I would NOT get that Contour, the 4 cyl auto used in those was the cd4e, those are TERRIBLELY unreliable transmissions. I can't vouch for the manual trans used in the ztec or duratec, but I know the duratecs Contours got a MUCH better automatic tranny.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using the FRF App

Eric2.5 06-13-2013 10:27 AM

Re: high mileage ranger worth it?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by EMB1230 (Post 1490545)
I would NOT get that Contour, the 4 cyl auto used in those was the cd4e, those are TERRIBLELY unreliable transmissions. I can't vouch for the manual trans used in the ztec or duratec, but I know the duratecs Contours got a MUCH better automatic tranny.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using the FRF App


Whatever dude.

I currently have a 1999 Z-Tec 4cl Mercury Mystigue(same as Contour) with 213,000 miles on it. Sitting in the Arbys parking lot right now....never had a tranny problem, still shifts good.

Greasemonkey51 06-13-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EMB1230 (Post 1490545)
I would NOT get that Contour, the 4 cyl auto used in those was the cd4e, those are TERRIBLELY unreliable transmissions. I can't vouch for the manual trans used in the ztec or duratec, but I know the duratecs Contours got a MUCH better automatic tranny.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using the FRF App

Yeah had one worse car I ever owned. And one of the problems (when I junked it) was the tranny

Sent from my VM670 using FRF App

Eric2.5 06-13-2013 12:19 PM

Re: high mileage ranger worth it?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by EMB1230 (Post 1490545)
I would NOT get that Contour, the 4 cyl auto used in those was the cd4e, those are TERRIBLELY unreliable transmissions. I can't vouch for the manual trans used in the ztec or duratec, but I know the duratecs Contours got a MUCH better automatic tranny.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using the FRF App


My apologies from earlier, turns out that it is true.

I must of gotten lucky with my Mercury.

It makes sense on why that guy didn't want to mess around fixing that car, he knew the trannies are bad in them and would quit after he got the body fixed. So I got screwed for 800 dollars and lost my enthusiasm to repair this car.

Not happy ATM, because this car is something to get going to replace my Mercury .... I need this car as a desperate back-up vehicle, because I carpool for long distances to my stupid job. Plus my mom has 800 invested in this car....I told her fixing the front and it will be good.

Dammit, what loss.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:26 AM.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.