Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > Ford Ranger General Discussion > General Ford Ranger Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 09-17-2011, 02:10 PM
checking the weather
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,949
Default Loud humming 40-45 mph.

Not sure what section to put this in. But my truck is making an annoyingly loud humming and slight vibration at 40-45 mph during accelerateing and de-accelerating.? It very obnoxious. I'm not sure if its mAybe a wheel out of balance its just recently started this and now getting worse. Any help wud be nice and if this is the wrong section a mod to move

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk
__________________
its a Ranger

Last edited by SB03Ranger; 09-17-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-17-2011, 02:11 PM
Mr. One Fitty
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 16,336
Send a message via AIM to djfllmn
Default Re: Loud humming 40-45 mph.

might have a bearing going bad
__________________
2014 F150 Supercrew XLT 5.0(ALL the options)
1968 Ford Thunderbird Tudor 429 Thunderjet V8

(Click for Project Log)
DD-1992 Olds Cutlass Ciera
traded-2007 F150 XLT Supercab 5.4
Sold:03 Sonic Blue FX4 Steppie 4.0SOHC 5spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan03CO View Post
These threads make me feel better about myself....
Quote:
Originally Posted by guell View Post
Welcome to the internet, if this is your first visit to it I suggest you stock up on a lot of preparation h cause you gonna be butt hurt a lot
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-17-2011, 02:49 PM
checking the weather
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,949
Default

I don't think its popping though. But il def check. The bearings r not that old though

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk
__________________
its a Ranger
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-17-2011, 07:20 PM
checking the weather
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,949
Default Re: Loud humming 40-45 mph.

It's a vibrating hum at that speed. Any ideas somebody?
__________________
its a Ranger
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-17-2011, 07:28 PM
I'm an F-18, bro
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,972
Send a message via AIM to ObsoleteE
Default Re: Loud humming 40-45 mph.

Bad bearings don't pop, they hum. The humming will become higher pitched the faster you go.

The vibrating sounds like your tire/s could be out of balance, or have broken belts. A shop will be able to tell you what the issue is.
__________________
1999 B2500 5 Speed
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-17-2011, 07:35 PM
checking the weather
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,949
Default Re: Loud humming 40-45 mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsoleteE View Post
Bad bearings don't pop, they hum. The humming will become higher pitched the faster you go.

The vibrating sounds like your tire/s could be out of balance, or have broken belts. A shop will be able to tell you what the issue is.
Umm last time mine went the were clicking in the turn but bearings sounds like it. There under warranty so guess il take them off soon as I can. And tires r only 6000 miles on them. It rele don't feel like an outa balanced tire though
__________________
its a Ranger
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-17-2011, 07:59 PM
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,144
Default Re: Loud humming 40-45 mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB03Ranger View Post
Umm last time mine went the were clicking in the turn but bearings sounds like it. There under warranty so guess il take them off soon as I can. And tires r only 6000 miles on them. It rele don't feel like an outa balanced tire though
You never know.
Once i crossed the border, the us roads fucked up my truck so badly i lost the weights on two of my rims and had to re-balance all four.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-17-2011, 08:07 PM
checking the weather
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,949
Default Re: Loud humming 40-45 mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Sport View Post
You never know.
Once i crossed the border, the us roads fucked up my truck so badly i lost the weights on two of my rims and had to re-balance all four.
I'm def not ruling it out lol. Soon as I get paid il take it to see. My apartment complex is full of speed bumps
__________________
its a Ranger
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-17-2011, 08:10 PM
Hazardous to Your Health!
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 9,968
Default Re: Loud humming 40-45 mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Sport View Post
You never know.
Once i crossed the border, the us roads fucked up my truck so badly i lost the weights on two of my rims and had to re-balance all four.
typical candian blaming us for candian incompetence haha just kidding

seriously tho isnt hard to knock off a weight off a rim?
__________________
Ford Ranger Edge Supercab, 2004 3.0 Auto, 2WD, 4.10 Axle 31x10.5x15 BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO's


My Truck Is My Mountain Bike's Ride!

Class III hitch, Rhino Bedliner, Almost Maxed T-Bar Crank, Tuff Country Add A Leaf, Custom Low Anchor Points, OEM ('99) Tow Hooks, Pro Comp Offroad Lights , Mustang Dome Light, Clear Corners, Slim Toolbox, Blinker Mod,Cargo Brake Light Mod,Expo Lighted Visors, Ultra Silverstar heads/fogs, Fog/high mod, Reverse/switched lights, Bike Fork Mounts
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-17-2011, 08:14 PM
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,144
Default Re: Loud humming 40-45 mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazardousRanger View Post
typical candian blaming us for candian incompetence haha just kidding

seriously tho isnt hard to knock off a weight off a rim?
dude, we have pot holes issues here, like deep and wide, but you guys have speed bumps everywhere on highways! Almost lost control of the truck a couple times in high traffic in NY, and i wasn't even speeding.

you should have seen the tech guy when he asked me about the missing weights lol
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-17-2011, 08:18 PM
checking the weather
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,949
Default Re: Loud humming 40-45 mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Sport View Post
dude, we have pot holes issues here, like deep and wide, but you guys have speed bumps everywhere on highways! Almost lost control of the truck a couple times in high traffic in NY, and i wasn't even speeding.

you should have seen the tech guy when he asked me about the missing weights lol
yea i know how it is. they salt the roads so heavy its chewed huge holes all in the roads back n forth to my parents. so im sure i cuda easily knocked them off. but its annoying. il check the wheels and the bearings when i can get to my shop
__________________
its a Ranger
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-17-2011, 08:26 PM
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,144
Default Re: Loud humming 40-45 mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB03Ranger View Post
yea i know how it is. they salt the roads so heavy its chewed huge holes all in the roads back n forth to my parents. so im sure i cuda easily knocked them off. but its annoying. il check the wheels and the bearings when i can get to my shop
actually no, the mob owns every construction company out here, so they cheap out on materials (while charging more than anywhere in the world) and we have to patch up roads yearly. since the gov is in it, every investigation is halted and they keep doing business.

but you guys didn't have holes, it was like the road lifted and created small jumps, which was harder on my truck's suspension, and ripped off the weights.

in any case, i hope its nothing major for ya
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-17-2011, 08:33 PM
checking the weather
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,949
Default Re: Loud humming 40-45 mph.

yea me too. cause i just dont have the money for anything major right now. school is taking a huge blow to my financials.
__________________
its a Ranger
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-18-2011, 08:28 PM
checking the weather
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,949
Default Re: Loud humming 40-45 mph.

bump
__________________
its a Ranger
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-18-2011, 08:33 PM
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,761
Default Re: Loud humming 40-45 mph.

Quote:
dude, we have pot holes issues here, like deep and wide, but you guys have speed bumps everywhere on highways! Almost lost control of the truck a couple times in high traffic in NY
Ohio and PA have some rough roads, but neither compare to parts of NY.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
98 3.0 humming noise wvgranger 3.0 Vulcan Tech 47 03-22-2012 07:27 PM
engine humming/whining irishranger07 4.0 SOHC / 4.0 OHV Tech 2 06-12-2011 09:43 AM
Loud Humming from Intake Hose 96Ranger40 4.0 SOHC / 4.0 OHV Tech 10 01-14-2011 08:42 PM
humming noise/ 04 ranger 4x4/ at 30-40 mph lip64 4.0 SOHC / 4.0 OHV Tech 7 11-20-2010 01:43 PM
Loud Humming noise from my front wheels? drewglenn04 Drivetrain Tech 6 12-23-2009 05:19 PM



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.