Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 07-18-2011, 10:58 PM
CLOS99 CLOS99 is offline
Ford RANGER est. 99
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 826
Talking 50 Horsepower for 5 cents Throttle Mod

sorry if it reposted. but has anyone tried this .. kinda intereting.

__________________
1999 Ford Ranger 3.0 XLT/Flex
H.I.D 5000k
6"Foglights 5000k
Spetrec air filter
3"lift
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-18-2011, 11:03 PM
Fightinirish157 Fightinirish157 is offline
Fightin' Irish
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 818
Send a message via AIM to Fightinirish157
Default Re: 50 Horsepower for 5 cents Throttle Mod

http://www.fordrangerforum.com/engin...cable-mod.html
__________________
2000 Extended Cab XLT 2WD
3.0 V6 Flex Fuel...Pioneer Deck w/ Pink LCD screen....Mustang Dome with LEDs Thanks BuggMan!
Needs installed:Explorer OHC with Green LEDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleo View Post
A womans butt is like a 9v battery, you know you shouldn't, but eventually you'll stick your tongue on it!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-18-2011, 11:08 PM
2004xlmiller 2004xlmiller is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 12,689
Default Re: 50 Horsepower for 5 cents Throttle Mod

very nice video though, add it to the how to thread, itll help lots of folks.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-18-2011, 11:13 PM
1994rangerXLT 1994rangerXLT is offline
Ford Ranger Owner
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 71
Default Re: 50 Horsepower for 5 cents Throttle Mod

It looks to me that he just had a messed up throttle cable. And also i have no idea if they are for sure but this video is an explorer. Not a ranger. Wouldnt they be set up somewhat different in some sort of way under the hood?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-18-2011, 11:16 PM
Fightinirish157 Fightinirish157 is offline
Fightin' Irish
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 818
Send a message via AIM to Fightinirish157
Default Re: 50 Horsepower for 5 cents Throttle Mod

It works...the zip ties take the slack out of the cable to make it tight again...see the above link I posted...
__________________
2000 Extended Cab XLT 2WD
3.0 V6 Flex Fuel...Pioneer Deck w/ Pink LCD screen....Mustang Dome with LEDs Thanks BuggMan!
Needs installed:Explorer OHC with Green LEDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleo View Post
A womans butt is like a 9v battery, you know you shouldn't, but eventually you'll stick your tongue on it!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-19-2011, 12:02 AM
doyouquaxu doyouquaxu is offline
Almost ******
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 7,480
Default Re: 50 Horsepower for 5 cents Throttle Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1994rangerXLT View Post
It looks to me that he just had a messed up throttle cable. And also i have no idea if they are for sure but this video is an explorer. Not a ranger. Wouldnt they be set up somewhat different in some sort of way under the hood?
it's not messed up, it's just stretched. over time that happens to any cable from the metal fatiguing. the zip ties he used takes up the slack right by the gas pedal so that it's like a new cable but at a fraction of the cost of one.

also, explorers and rangers are pretty much the same mechanically. the explorer frame is the same as the 4wd or edge rangers, and the 4.0's in the two are identical.
__________________
Why does everyone think prerunners just jump stuff?


Please click HERE to watch this video!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-19-2011, 08:22 AM
EMB1230 EMB1230 is offline
On my 3rd Ranger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,398
Send a message via AIM to EMB1230 Send a message via Yahoo to EMB1230 Send a message via Skype™ to EMB1230
Default Re: 50 Horsepower for 5 cents Throttle Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyouquaxu View Post
also, explorers and rangers are pretty much the same mechanically. the explorer frame is the same as the 4wd or edge rangers, and the 4.0's in the two are identical.
Yep, most SUV's are based off of the same company's similar-sized pickup, only power-train difference between the Expy and Ranger is that the Expy got the SOHC and 5-speed Auto in 1997, the Ranger didn't get those until 2001.
__________________
1987 2.3/TK5, 125K.

Last edited by EMB1230; 07-19-2011 at 08:26 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-19-2011, 10:05 AM
Sonic04edge Sonic04edge is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,086
Default Re: 50 Horsepower for 5 cents Throttle Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyouquaxu View Post
it's not messed up, it's just stretched. over time that happens to any cable from the metal fatiguing. the zip ties he used takes up the slack right by the gas pedal so that it's like a new cable but at a fraction of the cost of one.

also, explorers and rangers are pretty much the same mechanically. the explorer frame is the same as the 4wd or edge rangers, and the 4.0's in the two are identical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMB1230 View Post
Yep, most SUV's are based off of the same company's similar-sized pickup, only power-train difference between the Expy and Ranger is that the Expy got the SOHC and 5-speed Auto in 1997, the Ranger didn't get those until 2001.
Also the regular explorer changed in 02. Still used the same engine and transmission, but other things changed. However the sport was the same until 03 and the sport trac until 05.
__________________
No ride ATM
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-19-2011, 10:34 AM
CLOS99 CLOS99 is offline
Ford RANGER est. 99
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 826
Default Re: 50 Horsepower for 5 cents Throttle Mod

thanx guys 4 da info
__________________
1999 Ford Ranger 3.0 XLT/Flex
H.I.D 5000k
6"Foglights 5000k
Spetrec air filter
3"lift
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-19-2011, 10:42 AM
EMB1230 EMB1230 is offline
On my 3rd Ranger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,398
Send a message via AIM to EMB1230 Send a message via Yahoo to EMB1230 Send a message via Skype™ to EMB1230
Default Re: 50 Horsepower for 5 cents Throttle Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic04edge View Post
Also the regular explorer changed in 02. Still used the same engine and transmission, but other things changed. However the sport was the same until 03 and the sport trac until 05.
Right. I think it's funny how the 2 door ones only came with the 4.0 but could have Auto or stick, while the 4 door only came with automatic but could have the 4.0 or 5.0.
__________________
1987 2.3/TK5, 125K.

Last edited by EMB1230; 07-19-2011 at 10:44 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-19-2011, 02:10 PM
Adam aka Buddha Adam aka Buddha is offline
Resident Mainah
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 89
Default Re: 50 Horsepower for 5 cents Throttle Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMB1230 View Post
Yep, most SUV's are based off of the same company's similar-sized pickup, only power-train difference between the Expy and Ranger is that the Expy got the SOHC and 5-speed Auto in 1997, the Ranger didn't get those until 2001.
Off Topic: Ranger's got the 5R55E (5 speed auto) in 1997 but only on 4.0 models.

On Topic: Throttle cable mod is probably one of the best simple mod you can perform.
__________________
1997 Ranger XLT 4.0L V6 Auto 4x4 6000k DDM HID,
3 Inch PA Body lift, 285/75/R16 Goodyear MT/R,
Pioneer sound system, Flowmaster Super 40 SI/SO 2.5",
Custom front and rear bumpers, 130W KC's, 06+ Mirrors.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-19-2011, 03:38 PM
JGiddy JGiddy is offline
-
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,682
Default Re: 50 Horsepower for 5 cents Throttle Mod

This mod doesnt affect idle at all?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-19-2011, 03:43 PM
Fightinirish157 Fightinirish157 is offline
Fightin' Irish
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 818
Send a message via AIM to Fightinirish157
Default Re: 50 Horsepower for 5 cents Throttle Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts007 View Post
This mod doesnt affect idle at all?
It shouldn't unless you make the cable too tight IIRC...
__________________
2000 Extended Cab XLT 2WD
3.0 V6 Flex Fuel...Pioneer Deck w/ Pink LCD screen....Mustang Dome with LEDs Thanks BuggMan!
Needs installed:Explorer OHC with Green LEDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleo View Post
A womans butt is like a 9v battery, you know you shouldn't, but eventually you'll stick your tongue on it!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-19-2011, 04:25 PM
ColinS ColinS is offline
slingin' mud to the sky!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,252
Default Re: 50 Horsepower for 5 cents Throttle Mod

just did this i fit 2 zip ties around it
__________________
Colin S. AGE: 18
1994 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 reg. cab 4.0l 5spd, 2" SL , Summit Nomads 15x8, 30x9.5x15 Trail Digger M/T's, cab lights, spray in bed liner, custom tube bumper,

1994 Ford Ranger XLT 2.3l 5spd ext. cab. the loaner truck

1987 Camaro z28 383 to much to list

https://www.facebook.com/colinshriver

http://www.fordrangerforum.com/proje...anger-4x4.html
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-19-2011, 04:37 PM
JGiddy JGiddy is offline
-
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,682
Default Re: 50 Horsepower for 5 cents Throttle Mod

i just feel like this wouldnt be all that great on my 4.0 ohv motor since it craps out after 3200rpm anyway
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to: Throttle Cable mod Casper How-To Submissions 295 06-05-2016 03:56 PM
Throttle cable mod bigtoys2004 4-Cylinder Tech 34 01-19-2014 11:04 PM
Question on Throttle Mod Argess 4-Cylinder Tech 2 02-04-2011 05:46 AM
2.3 throttle cable mod ronsonol8 4-Cylinder Tech 2 06-27-2010 05:14 AM
Throttle cable mod help. mmguy 4-Cylinder Tech 0 02-18-2010 03:31 PM