Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #121  
Old 07-04-2011, 08:36 AM
Rango88 Rango88 is offline
N/A
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 9,031
Default Re: 3.0 vs 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogyman View Post
Well I guess I'll add my 2 cents to the silliness.

Our B3000 has the 3.0. We didn't buy it to race, we bought for mileage and reliablility. If I want to race somebody I'll jump on the 1250 Bandit.

Aluminum heads tend to blow gaskets more often than steel heads. Thus the steel headed 3.0 is more reliable in that dept IMO.

We tow a 12 ft. trailer loaded with motorcycles and/or ATVs with the 3.0 automatic tranny with the OD turned off, no problem whatsoever.

The extra MPGs are well worth the loss of a little 1/4 mile ET, especially when this truck will never see a race track or do any silly stoplight/street racing.

So I reckon a lot of this thread boils down to maturity issues, practicality vs. ego, or just plain bench racing BS. Still a fun read tho.
i am sorry to butt in, but its funny to me you mention practicality and yet fail to mention the obvious practicality of the 4L vs the wearker 3L since a well equipped 4L can tow up to 6,000 lbs. Most of us bought of 4L for its performance in everyday use, not street racing. Also its fact that the 3L does not have that much better fuel economy, especially under load since the engine has to work harder then the 4L.

Thats my 3 cents worth
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 07-04-2011, 08:42 AM
Boogyman Boogyman is offline
Ford B3000 Driver
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 66
Default Re: 3.0 vs 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango88 View Post
i am sorry to butt in, but its funny to me you mention practicality and yet fail to mention the obvious practicality of the 4L vs the wearker 3L since a well equipped 4L can tow up to 6,000 lbs. Most of us bought of 4L for its performance in everyday use, not street racing. Also its fact that the 3L does not have that much better fuel economy, especially under load since the engine has to work harder then the 4L.

Thats my 3 cents worth
Point taken. Not knocking the 4.0 my friend, just sayin' why we chose the 3.0 and are happy with it.

Since the truck is towing stuff only about 5% of the time and doesn't work that hard doing it, it's not an issue with us. Proirities... MPGs and reliability over extra HPs that's all.
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 07-04-2011, 08:53 AM
cdawall cdawall is offline
Jeep recovery vehicle
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,197
Default Re: 3.0 vs 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogyman View Post
Well I guess I'll add my 2 cents to the silliness.

Our B3000 has the 3.0. We didn't buy it to race, we bought for mileage and reliablility. If I want to race somebody I'll jump on the 1250 Bandit.

Aluminum heads tend to blow gaskets more often than steel heads. Thus the steel headed 3.0 is more reliable in that dept IMO.

We tow a 12 ft. trailer loaded with motorcycles and/or ATVs with the 3.0 automatic tranny with the OD turned off, no problem whatsoever.

The extra MPGs are well worth the loss of a little 1/4 mile ET, especially when this truck will never see a race track or do any silly stoplight/street racing.

So I reckon a lot of this thread boils down to maturity issues, practicality vs. ego, or just plain bench racing BS. Still a fun read tho.
What extra MPGs? most guys including me get 20+ freeway. thats with 33s on the truck. i got it because the 4.0 is peppy and can tow something behind it. the motor also has more torque by alot which is nice offroading. the 3.0 is a much less powerful motor therefore useless to me. not dogging the 3.0 but i have no use for one.
__________________
'05 Ranger Edge SAS'd, 5.38's, D60/D60U, 38.5" TSL SX's, October 2012 TOTM, build thead
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 07-04-2011, 09:04 AM
mchale20 mchale20 is offline
Buy a Ford
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 195
Default Re: 3.0 vs 4.0

Lots of good points on both ends. And I agree, I definitely didn't buy my 4.0 to be drag racing. As far as mpg's go, I do pretty darn well for what I have. I float around 16-20 mpg and it's not even that hard to do. The damn thing will do 65 at a shade over 2k rpm, so I never really have to do much pedal mashing (unless of course I want to). As far as the 3.0 goes, I heard it's eerily similiar in mpg's to the 4.0, making it basically the same truck, but with less capabilities. In any case, that is personally why I own a 4.0.
__________________
2005 Ranger FX4
Green with matching A.R.E. bed cover / Buggman LED Oval and Black with chrome Emblems.
Pioneer Premiere FH-P800BT DD Head Unit / Rockford Fosgate P500-1BD Amp / Rockford Fosgate P2D412 Sub
Keys/Shackles Lift (2") / PA Body Lift (3") / Bilstein 5100's
Mickey Thompson Classic Lock / BFG AT's 285 75 R16 (32.8)
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 07-04-2011, 09:05 AM
Boogyman Boogyman is offline
Ford B3000 Driver
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 66
Default Re: 3.0 vs 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdawall View Post
What extra MPGs? most guys including me get 20+ freeway. thats with 33s on the truck. i got it because the 4.0 is peppy and can tow something behind it. the motor also has more torque by alot which is nice offroading. the 3.0 is a much less powerful motor therefore useless to me. not dogging the 3.0 but i have no use for one.
2-3 extra MPGs adds up at $3.50+ per gallon. More gas for the bikes.

I'm not sure why anybody would deny the reality that the 3.0 gets a few more MPGs than the 4.0. Some people are just funny that way I guess.
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 07-04-2011, 09:17 AM
rangerwheelinmike rangerwheelinmike is offline
5.0 ranger!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 307
Default Re: 3.0 vs 4.0

im geting better mpg with the 5.0 then i was with the 3.0 im geting 16 to 17 with the 5.0
__________________
2000 ford ranger 5.0/4r70w/np208 gt40p heads, mustang T/B and injectors, true dual flowmaster 10s no cats, 4r70w auto with trans go aod hd 2 shift kit and full manual valve body. 4x4,locked 9in rear,locked coil dana 44 front with 4.10s , 8in lift springs, 3in bl. on 34/10.5s,or 38-15-15s 8000k hids, 7in flip out dvd player, 2 kicker 12s and 2400watt amp

www.f150nation.com
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 07-04-2011, 09:21 AM
cdawall cdawall is offline
Jeep recovery vehicle
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,197
Default Re: 3.0 vs 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogyman View Post
2-3 extra MPGs adds up at $3.50+ per gallon. More gas for the bikes.

I'm not sure why anybody would deny the reality that the 3.0 gets a few more MPGs than the 4.0. Some people are just funny that way I guess.
because it depends on the truck. my buddy has the 3.0 with stock tires and a stick drives like a grandma and still only gets 22MPG out of it on the freeway i get 20MPG thats $6 worth of gas in an entire tank. now lets put a 4 wheeler in the bed of both of them. (500-700lbs?) he now gets 16MPG and i get 19MPG. but why would i get a weaker motor that can't handle a load when i can have the 4.0L that barely gets edged out in normal driving and beats it in every other instance?
__________________
'05 Ranger Edge SAS'd, 5.38's, D60/D60U, 38.5" TSL SX's, October 2012 TOTM, build thead
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 07-04-2011, 09:32 AM
Boogyman Boogyman is offline
Ford B3000 Driver
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 66
Default Re: 3.0 vs 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerwheelinmike View Post
im geting better mpg with the 5.0 then i was with the 3.0 im geting 16 to 17 with the 5.0
Huh. I get that in my F-150 with the 4.6 V8. It's an supercab long bed too.

The B3000 with auto/OD gets 21 highway easy. A manual would get even better, but the ol' lady needs the automatic.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdawall View Post
because it depends on the truck. my buddy has the 3.0 with stock tires and a stick drives like a grandma and still only gets 22MPG out of it on the freeway i get 20MPG thats $6 worth of gas in an entire tank. now lets put a 4 wheeler in the bed of both of them. (500-700lbs?) he now gets 16MPG and i get 19MPG. but why would i get a weaker motor that can't handle a load when i can have the 4.0L that barely gets edged out in normal driving and beats it in every other instance?
I guess you missed the part where we tow stuff only 5% of the time. 95% of the time we're getting better MPGs, and $6.00 is over half a tank in the bikes/ATV's.

I'm I trying to convince anyone to go out and buy a 3.0? We all have different priorities and preferences. I'm glad ya'll are as happy with your 4.0s as we are with our 3.0. More power to ya... literally.
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 07-04-2011, 09:38 AM
EMB1230 EMB1230 is offline
On my 3rd Ranger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,398
Send a message via AIM to EMB1230 Send a message via Yahoo to EMB1230 Send a message via Skype™ to EMB1230
Default Re: 3.0 vs 4.0

this may be a dumb question bout over the years did the Rangers get heavier? I was looking up gas mileage figures for random years and the early 90's Rangers with 2wd, manual trans and the 3.0 get 25 highway, seem like 98+ only get 22.
__________________
1987 2.3/TK5, 125K.
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 07-04-2011, 09:46 AM
cdawall cdawall is offline
Jeep recovery vehicle
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,197
Default Re: 3.0 vs 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogyman View Post
I guess you missed the part where we tow stuff only 5% of the time. 95% of the time we're getting better MPGs, and $6.00 is over half a tank in the bikes/ATV's.

I'm I trying to convince anyone to go out and buy a 3.0? We all have different priorities and preferences. I'm glad ya'll are as happy with your 4.0s as we are with our 3.0. More power to ya... literally.
i'll use the extra power. the 3.0 puts out as much power as a 4 banger and its in a pickup if i wanted the extra 2MPG it gets i would drive the wifes car that gets 36MPG.
__________________
'05 Ranger Edge SAS'd, 5.38's, D60/D60U, 38.5" TSL SX's, October 2012 TOTM, build thead
Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 07-04-2011, 09:58 AM
Rango88 Rango88 is offline
N/A
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 9,031
Default Re: 3.0 vs 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogyman View Post
Huh. I get that in my F-150 with the 4.6 V8. It's an supercab long bed too.

The B3000 with auto/OD gets 21 highway easy. A manual would get even better, but the ol' lady needs the automatic.

----------



I guess you missed the part where we tow stuff only 5% of the time. 95% of the time we're getting better MPGs, and $6.00 is over half a tank in the bikes/ATV's.

I'm I trying to convince anyone to go out and buy a 3.0? We all have different priorities and preferences. I'm glad ya'll are as happy with your 4.0s as we are with our 3.0. More power to ya... literally.
Thanks, I luv muh 4L

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMB1230 View Post
this may be a dumb question bout over the years did the Rangers get heavier? I was looking up gas mileage figures for random years and the early 90's Rangers with 2wd, manual trans and the 3.0 get 25 highway, seem like 98+ only get 22.
its must have as safety laws change, the trucks have to change with them therefore get heavier. Also some revamped items like new newer styled seats, hoods, fenders, etc can factor in at the weight scale.
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 07-04-2011, 10:40 AM
EMB1230 EMB1230 is offline
On my 3rd Ranger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,398
Send a message via AIM to EMB1230 Send a message via Yahoo to EMB1230 Send a message via Skype™ to EMB1230
Default Re: 3.0 vs 4.0

yeah, because I thought as vehicles get new and technology advances, that they get MORE fuel efficient, not less! what makes the 3.0 even more of a poor fit, is that what power it does make, it makes up high, the old 2.9 had similar power but made it down low. I heard some one on here say once that either of the 4.0's make more TQ @ 1200 RPM's than a 3.0 will ever make, lol.
__________________
1987 2.3/TK5, 125K.

Last edited by EMB1230; 07-04-2011 at 10:44 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 07-04-2011, 10:44 AM
knightmare1015 knightmare1015 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,010
Default Re: 3.0 vs 4.0

Basicly I think the old 3.0 would be great in something like the Fiesta or something smaller because it really doesn't have enough torque or power in my view to be in a truck. But it is a good engine in some respects. Basicly that's a contractor's engine who doesn't need alot of power who also happens to be a fleet owner. Basicly the 4.0 is a superior motor over the 3.0 in alot of ways. Definately go for the 4.0 if you have a choice.
__________________
SOLD: 2004 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0 V6 5 speed



www.knightmare1015.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 07-04-2011, 10:56 AM
Rango88 Rango88 is offline
N/A
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 9,031
Default Re: 3.0 vs 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMB1230 View Post
yeah, because I thought as vehicles get new and technology advances, that they get MORE fuel efficient, not less! what makes the 3.0 even more of a poor fit, is that what power it does make, it makes up high, the old 2.9 had similar power but made it down low. I heard some one on here say once that either of the 4.0's make more TQ @ 1200 RPM's than a 3.0 will ever make, lol.
Your analogy about newer vehicles being better gas is right, but the ranger is still running on old technology therefore not really new so not really more fuel efficient the newer it gets lol
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 07-04-2011, 11:46 AM
pooleo pooleo is offline
Ban Survivor. (x2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,764
Default Re: 3.0 vs 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango88 View Post
hmmm pasco...

3L 147Hp and 183lb feet of torque
4L SOHC 207 HP and 238 lb feet,

3L stock out pacing a 4L is SHENANIGANS lol

yes these are the stats, but perhaps we should compare apples to apples and not apples to peaches. Th 4.0 OHV wich is the same design as the 3.0 only puts out 160hp. I suppose that a 4.0 ohv with really high gearing could be beat by a 3.0 that was geared low...???
__________________
1999 | Ext. Cab | 4.0 | 4x4 | 4.10's
Quote:
A Gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Each time he enters the arena, he slips his c0ck in the mouth of the beast, and prays to thrust home before the jaws snap shut. - Oenomaus
Ball Joints/Upper A-Arms How To
Replace Door pin/bushing
Repair broken dome light tabs
VIDEO OHC Install
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search