Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #16  
Old 06-06-2011, 07:46 AM
Rango88 Rango88 is offline
N/A
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 9,031
Default Re: Been checking out rangers and here is what i've found...

2001 + 4.0L SOHC FTCW (for the complete win) lol
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-06-2011, 08:03 AM
C C C C is offline
Liking the Ford Ranger Forum
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 20
Default Re: Been checking out rangers and here is what i've found...

Thanks guys for all the help.. seriously haha i'll find a 4.0 and your right, i will eventually do things to the truck. I'll keep searching i like the red one but i'm obviously going to get one with 150k+ miles (i assume)... but should i look for one thats had the tranny rebuilt/replaced? Because i do not want to buy a truck then shortly have to put 2k into it...

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-06-2011, 08:08 AM
Rango88 Rango88 is offline
N/A
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 9,031
Default Re: Been checking out rangers and here is what i've found...

Quote:
Originally Posted by C C View Post
Thanks guys for all the help.. seriously haha i'll find a 4.0 and your right, i will eventually do things to the truck. I'll keep searching i like the red one but i'm obviously going to get one with 150k+ miles (i assume)... but should i look for one thats had the tranny rebuilt/replaced? Because i do not want to buy a truck then shortly have to put 2k into it...

Thanks!
If you drive a manual or dont mind learning, I would find the manual, I havent really heard of anyone having problems with the manual tranny.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-06-2011, 08:44 AM
pooleo pooleo is offline
Ban Survivor. (x2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,764
Default Re: Been checking out rangers and here is what i've found...

the autos are good if there taken care of. trying to find one with a rebuilt/replaced trans may not be a good idea. Why was it replaced? did the guy before you beat the shit outta it? did the guy do gear drops in it? just make sure to check the fluid, smell it. Shift it from p-r-d a few times, check to see if it clunks while doing that.

----------

x2 on the manual. my 96 went 262k miles before a clutch was in order
__________________
1999 | Ext. Cab | 4.0 | 4x4 | 4.10's
Quote:
A Gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Each time he enters the arena, he slips his c0ck in the mouth of the beast, and prays to thrust home before the jaws snap shut. - Oenomaus
Ball Joints/Upper A-Arms How To
Replace Door pin/bushing
Repair broken dome light tabs
VIDEO OHC Install
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-06-2011, 03:04 PM
richarddhoward richarddhoward is offline
Road Trippin' King!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,010
Send a message via MSN to richarddhoward
Default Re: Been checking out rangers and here is what i've found...

Welcome. Where do you live over in the PNW? I'm from Centralia.
__________________
97 Ranger - 4.0 V6 auto, 4wd, 31x10.5x15s Wild Country XTX Sport All Terrains, Warn locking hubs, Pioneer deck with iPod attachment, Snugtop Topper, K&N filter, scan gauge II, Hella 500 Lights, More parts coming, waiting for the paycheck to get bigger!

Truck built in loving memory of Norm Howard
Outcast Racing
PNW Crew!!!
Afterhours Clan!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_ariens View Post
I think Henry just shit himself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radness View Post
Its kind of like that carnival game "Whack A Mole" but with guns! Haha
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-06-2011, 03:52 PM
C C C C is offline
Liking the Ford Ranger Forum
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 20
Default Re: Been checking out rangers and here is what i've found...

I can drive a manual 2 of the 3 cars i've had were manuals. So manual is the way to go? Will a manual do good while towing a 2500 lbs ish boat? I thought manuals and towing weren't really too good together.. I live in lake oswego, its south of portland and rubs up right next to tualatin, tigard, and west linn

the gold ones tranny was put in because aparently just while normal driving (his wife was driving) it just wouldn't go anymore.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-06-2011, 04:46 PM
richarddhoward richarddhoward is offline
Road Trippin' King!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,010
Send a message via MSN to richarddhoward
Default Re: Been checking out rangers and here is what i've found...

Quote:
Originally Posted by C C View Post
I can drive a manual 2 of the 3 cars i've had were manuals. So manual is the way to go? Will a manual do good while towing a 2500 lbs ish boat? I thought manuals and towing weren't really too good together.. I live in lake oswego, its south of portland and rubs up right next to tualatin, tigard, and west linn

the gold ones tranny was put in because aparently just while normal driving (his wife was driving) it just wouldn't go anymore.
I'd rather drive a manual, and they are better for towing actually since these trucks don't have a tow/haul mode like the f150-550. The manual allows you to stay in gear and raise the rpm when needed and use the engine to compression brake down hills, saving your brakes. I have towed 2500 lbs with mine, make sure you have the 4.0l V6 if you are towing that much, or you will strain the truck badly. You might want to look into overload springs for it as well to shift some of the towing weight to the front of the truck, making for safer towing. Especially if you have a 4wd. Also, don't worry about the automatics, just remember to change the fluids as normal, and don't beat on it, and it'll last you. I have 100k on mine of trouble free miles, most I have ever done, change the fluid. I'd recommend 30k for a change interval at least if you tow often. I forget what the spec is.

My neighbor works in Lake Oswego for a computer company. I live up in Washington. But I work in TN. Glad to have another PNWer on board.
__________________
97 Ranger - 4.0 V6 auto, 4wd, 31x10.5x15s Wild Country XTX Sport All Terrains, Warn locking hubs, Pioneer deck with iPod attachment, Snugtop Topper, K&N filter, scan gauge II, Hella 500 Lights, More parts coming, waiting for the paycheck to get bigger!

Truck built in loving memory of Norm Howard
Outcast Racing
PNW Crew!!!
Afterhours Clan!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_ariens View Post
I think Henry just shit himself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radness View Post
Its kind of like that carnival game "Whack A Mole" but with guns! Haha
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-06-2011, 06:27 PM
C C C C is offline
Liking the Ford Ranger Forum
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 20
Default Re: Been checking out rangers and here is what i've found...

Quote:
Originally Posted by richarddhoward View Post
I'd rather drive a manual, and they are better for towing actually since these trucks don't have a tow/haul mode like the f150-550. The manual allows you to stay in gear and raise the rpm when needed and use the engine to compression brake down hills, saving your brakes. I have towed 2500 lbs with mine, make sure you have the 4.0l V6 if you are towing that much, or you will strain the truck badly. You might want to look into overload springs for it as well to shift some of the towing weight to the front of the truck, making for safer towing. Especially if you have a 4wd. Also, don't worry about the automatics, just remember to change the fluids as normal, and don't beat on it, and it'll last you. I have 100k on mine of trouble free miles, most I have ever done, change the fluid. I'd recommend 30k for a change interval at least if you tow often. I forget what the spec is.

My neighbor works in Lake Oswego for a computer company. I live up in Washington. But I work in TN. Glad to have another PNWer on board.

ok, thanks for the advice, is putting new springs in pretty easy? I know a couple of my friends have put new ones in on there jeeps. It can't be that hard, right? I put coilovers in myself on my Volkswagen.

There are a lot of rangers for sale in the area but i'm looking for a steal.. theres not enough of those


http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/2425212669.html

Last edited by C C; 06-06-2011 at 06:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-06-2011, 06:36 PM
richarddhoward richarddhoward is offline
Road Trippin' King!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,010
Send a message via MSN to richarddhoward
Default Re: Been checking out rangers and here is what i've found...

Quote:
Originally Posted by C C View Post
ok, thanks for the advice, is putting new springs in pretty easy? I know a couple of my friends have put new ones in on there jeeps. It can't be that hard, right? I put coilovers in myself on my Volkswagen.

There are a lot of rangers for sale in the area but i'm looking for a steal.. theres not enough of those


http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/2425212669.html
Me likey...I'd take that one. It's sexy

As for putting in springs, if all you are doing is putting on overloads it's 16 bolts total. Takes about an hour. Really not hard at all. If you can put coils in a VW you can easily put the overloads on the back of the truck. BTW overload springs DO NOT MEAN you can haul more weight in any safe manner or legal manner. It simply transfers more weight over the entire truck to make towing safer. Since a lot of people like to think it increases their payload capacity.
__________________
97 Ranger - 4.0 V6 auto, 4wd, 31x10.5x15s Wild Country XTX Sport All Terrains, Warn locking hubs, Pioneer deck with iPod attachment, Snugtop Topper, K&N filter, scan gauge II, Hella 500 Lights, More parts coming, waiting for the paycheck to get bigger!

Truck built in loving memory of Norm Howard
Outcast Racing
PNW Crew!!!
Afterhours Clan!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_ariens View Post
I think Henry just shit himself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radness View Post
Its kind of like that carnival game "Whack A Mole" but with guns! Haha
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-06-2011, 06:44 PM
C C C C is offline
Liking the Ford Ranger Forum
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 20
Default Re: Been checking out rangers and here is what i've found...

Quote:
Originally Posted by richarddhoward View Post
Me likey...I'd take that one. It's sexy

As for putting in springs, if all you are doing is putting on overloads it's 16 bolts total. Takes about an hour. Really not hard at all. If you can put coils in a VW you can easily put the overloads on the back of the truck. BTW overload springs DO NOT MEAN you can haul more weight in any safe manner or legal manner. It simply transfers more weight over the entire truck to make towing safer. Since a lot of people like to think it increases their payload capacity.
haha ok, yeah well obviously, ok so now i know what i want
i just gotta find itt
http://salem.craigslist.org/cto/2414154516.html
i've talked to this guy but i forgot to ask if it was a 4.0
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-06-2011, 06:55 PM
richarddhoward richarddhoward is offline
Road Trippin' King!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,010
Send a message via MSN to richarddhoward
Default Re: Been checking out rangers and here is what i've found...

Quote:
Originally Posted by C C View Post
haha ok, yeah well obviously, ok so now i know what i want
i just gotta find itt
http://salem.craigslist.org/cto/2414154516.html
i've talked to this guy but i forgot to ask if it was a 4.0
19 mpg, almost guarantee it is. I like the older 93-97 trucks because the TTB is easier to deal with. The 98+ trucks have the IFS with T bars, they are easy to crank and gain some height, but stupid expensive to lift, and generally are more expensive to maintain. They do ride MUCH better then my 97 with the TTB. In the end, go for what you want, and get exactly what you want. Don't worry about power options though, concentrate on engine and drivetrain. Getting a great deal sometimes isn't such a great deal 6 months down the road. I have learned the hard way a couple time.

Edit: 98+ are stupid expensive to suspension lift. Body lifting is the same cost pretty much no matter what year. But the IFS in those trucks will be more expensive to maintain.
__________________
97 Ranger - 4.0 V6 auto, 4wd, 31x10.5x15s Wild Country XTX Sport All Terrains, Warn locking hubs, Pioneer deck with iPod attachment, Snugtop Topper, K&N filter, scan gauge II, Hella 500 Lights, More parts coming, waiting for the paycheck to get bigger!

Truck built in loving memory of Norm Howard
Outcast Racing
PNW Crew!!!
Afterhours Clan!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_ariens View Post
I think Henry just shit himself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radness View Post
Its kind of like that carnival game "Whack A Mole" but with guns! Haha
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-06-2011, 07:03 PM
C C C C is offline
Liking the Ford Ranger Forum
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 20
Default Re: Been checking out rangers and here is what i've found...

Quote:
Originally Posted by richarddhoward View Post
19 mpg, almost guarantee it is. I like the older 93-97 trucks because the TTB is easier to deal with. The 98+ trucks have the IFS with T bars, they are easy to crank and gain some height, but stupid expensive to lift, and generally are more expensive to maintain. They do ride MUCH better then my 97 with the TTB. In the end, go for what you want, and get exactly what you want. Don't worry about power options though, concentrate on engine and drivetrain. Getting a great deal sometimes isn't such a great deal 6 months down the road. I have learned the hard way a couple time.

Edit: 98+ are stupid expensive to suspension lift. Body lifting is the same cost pretty much no matter what year. But the IFS in those trucks will be more expensive to maintain.

so something like this?
http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/2424858081.html
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-06-2011, 07:06 PM
richarddhoward richarddhoward is offline
Road Trippin' King!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,010
Send a message via MSN to richarddhoward
Default Re: Been checking out rangers and here is what i've found...

Quote:
Originally Posted by C C View Post
If that's what you want then yes. It's what you want not what I want lol I'd buy that in a heartbeat. Overloads won't work on that, so see how it looks hooked to a trailer. Remeber towing 2500 lbs of the bumper will not work on these trucks so you will need a class III hitch. The are about 100-180 bucks if you have to get one
__________________
97 Ranger - 4.0 V6 auto, 4wd, 31x10.5x15s Wild Country XTX Sport All Terrains, Warn locking hubs, Pioneer deck with iPod attachment, Snugtop Topper, K&N filter, scan gauge II, Hella 500 Lights, More parts coming, waiting for the paycheck to get bigger!

Truck built in loving memory of Norm Howard
Outcast Racing
PNW Crew!!!
Afterhours Clan!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_ariens View Post
I think Henry just shit himself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radness View Post
Its kind of like that carnival game "Whack A Mole" but with guns! Haha
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-09-2011, 11:24 AM
C C C C is offline
Liking the Ford Ranger Forum
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 20
Default Re: Been checking out rangers and here is what i've found...

It looks like the hunt for a truck has come to a hault because the SOB that was suppose to buy my car flaked out on me the day he was suppose to buy because he mom invested all the money he had the account in the stock market and lost all of it so he asked if i wanted to wait 2 months... F*CK THAT
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-09-2011, 11:38 AM
Rango88 Rango88 is offline
N/A
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 9,031
Default Re: Been checking out rangers and here is what i've found...

that sucks dude, I hope you do find a decent ranger for your price, there are a lot out there so you shouldnt have to pay a huge premium for what you want. A decent 4L 4x4 is out there for ya. and you should be good to two 2500 since the ranger is `rated`` at pulling 3300lbs, it could be rated higher, but ford wants to compensate for driver error, If you can drive a stick, then i would go manual with this rigs, but the auto is fine as well, many love their autos
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DUDE....some AWESOME rangers I found on google Yeller General Ford Ranger Discussion 70 05-26-2011 07:05 PM
former wild player, NY rangers Derek Boogaard Found dead in his Mpls, MN apartment TerrenceStuart Sports 7 05-21-2011 09:04 PM
Rangers, Rangers, Mazda B2300? DMac114 Introduce Yourself 11 05-11-2011 06:50 PM
For Sale: checking interest checking interest Stock 4:10 gears out of 01 4x4 off road Ranger01 Engine & Drivetrain Parts 11 03-03-2011 11:22 AM
WOW!! Found my old film negatives from 1997 of my 2 rangers (warning huge photo's) one1 Vehicle Snapshots 29 07-09-2010 09:05 AM