Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 03-25-2011, 09:27 AM
knightmare1015 knightmare1015 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,010
Default Sponsorships 101...

I got asked a question the other day what was considered a simple question, the cat that asked me this thought it would be a simple answer. It wasn't. He asked me why I gave up a U.S. Legend's racecar sponsorship and how I or anyone else for that matter can get a sponsor? Health issues is why. To get a sponsor is not as hard as you think. www.carsponsors.com is one of many ways to get a sponsor and is the easiest. But some people say you get ripped off which is not entirely true. It's the way they do business and approach the situation. I heard one person say to a company exec. "sponsoring him would increase his company's revenue". BAD MOVE ON HIS PART BIGTIME. Not only did he get rejected, but he was also laughed out of the building and carsponsors.com banned his account for life. They still call me on occasion but they seem very interested in telling about this incedent on their website. Basicly the cat treated the people who had a deal for him that NO ONE COULD REFUSE, like idiots and he treated the people who brokered the deal like complete idiots and cussed them in public. No wonder the idiot got banned. He blew a free car and unlimited expenses deal away with his big ass mouth. He emailed me after this incedent and I asked him which foot did he use, the one in his mouth or the one he was standing on. You don't treat people this way at all, especially when someone offers a deal like that. Basicly to land a sponsor you have to assure them they are NOT wasting their time by following these simple rules which are listed below.

#1: Never ever state that sponsoring you will increase their revenue.
Companies don't like this because they hear it alot and know that it's pure bullshit. Unless you own a website that gets over a million+ visitors a day and all of them buy what you're selling, then yeah you could say that but how many people you know buy a product they've seen on a racecar? what you sell is ADVERTISING NOT CAR PARTS OR PRODUCTS.

#2: Be HUMBLED AND POLITE to whom is interested in sponsoring you. I've seen Tony Stewart himself lose sponsorships because of his attitude towards fans, the Nascar officials, and companies because he didn't like them and the way they did business with other racers. What happened between the people and them is their business not yours. So please check your attitude and ego at the door and be open minded about what they are offering you.

#3: Know about who is interested in sponsoring you. Get to know the company's history and what they're about and what they offer to customers on a regular basis. Plus know about their products and services and expand your knowledge base. This is a key thing here because it can lead to other deals and it also builds a relationship with whom is sponsoring you, so when it comes time to "renew your deal with that sponsor" it won't take hardly anytime to secure a new deal if not better than what you had to begin with.

#4: KEEP IN TOUCH with your sponsor on a frequent and regular basis. Don't harass them either. A weekly phone call usually works but sometimes they might require an update more frequently. It may be due to a major event or show you've just attended and they wanted to know how it went, or they may just want an update about your ride. They may even call you to tell about something new they have to offer to the public and want to "test it out". Eric McClure a current Nationwide Series driver can atest to this very well (My old highschool classmate). Morgan & McClure Motorsports got Lucas Oil to sponsor their car but didn't keep in touch. They didn't do any research about the company, they really didn't know anything about them at all. Basicly they "took the money and ran". Bad move. Now because this incedent, as well as other driver's egos and attitudes, Lucas Oil will never sponsor ANYONE IN NASCAR AGAIN. Lucas Oil only sponsored Morgan McClure Motorsports for a month. They ended up winning a legal battle too because of this. It's also helps to send a thankyou card even if you don't get sponsored, that can turn things around as well.


#5: Don't turn down product offers. FREE PRODUCT DEALS CAN BE REALLY HELPFUL AND SWEET. For example: WOULD YOU TURN DOWN FREE ENGINES FROM GM BECAUSE OF YOUR DISLIKE OF GM? 2 words answer this very easily: hell no. That is basicly what the guy I mentioned in the begining of this thread did and went on a verbal tyraid from hell towards everyone in sight. If someone offers you free stuff in a sponsor deal but doesn't quite meet your asking price, see what they're willing to offer AND PLEASE DON'T GET GREEDY. If you keep on asking and asking they may change their minds and you've wasted their time and yours.

#6: LOOK AT THE DEALS CLOSLEY. Read all of the proposals you are presented with, CAREFULLY. I've personally seen first hand what happens when this occurs. I watched a person virtually lose damn near everything he had supporting his legal funding to get out of a bad contract he signed BECAUSE HE WAS DESPERATE TO GET SPONSORED AND DIDN'T READ THE CONTRACT. A very bad move on his part and that company ended up going out of business and over a hundred jobs were lost because of these legal battles and his greed to get back what he lost and more. I can understand wanting to get back some of what you lost sure, but to keep on doing what this guy did was wrong. Both parties were at fault for this situation IMO.

#7: Be professional. Once contact is made, don't have your favorite song blairing out on your answering machine or voicemail. Be interested and above all else ASK QUESTIONS. The only dumb question in this industry is the one that's not asked. If you don't ask or seem uninterested they will say no and tell other companies that you don't seem interested in a sponsorship deal at all and you pretty much destroyed your chances in one sitting with ANY COMPANY. It's like pouring gasoline over an open fire to put it out.


#8: DON'T BRAG to others about your deal with any companies or other sponsoree's. They may be sponsored with the same company and complain about their deal and say so and so got this, why didn't I get this? Basicly a domino effect happens, and YOU WILL LOSE YOUR SPONSOR AS WELL AS YOUR REPUTATION. I watched this happen with U.S. Legends team. They ended up getting banned from the league, because they kept costing the league deals that helped keep other racers going. They lost alot of big names such as Sunoco Fuels, Discount Tire, and various engine manufacturers because this team couldn't keep their soup kooler shut. You couldn't tell them anything at all. In fact the team owner got his ass kicked because of his smart ass attitude. I'm surprised that the guy did beat him up didn't get ANY FALLOUT what so ever. I guess the league got tired of this team's bullshit.

Well, I hope some of these incedents and tips help people look at getting sponsored more objectively and realize that www.carsponsors.com isn't a bad way to get started for those who want to acheive their hopes and dreams. Thanks for reading this post.
__________________
SOLD: 2004 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0 V6 5 speed



www.knightmare1015.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-25-2011, 10:48 AM
Tom Tom is offline
Ranger Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,829
Default Re: Sponsorships 101...

I would like to know more about your experience with carsponsors.com. They charge a $100 application fee which raises red flags. Plus they claim to have "as many as 34 automotive companies" sponsoring people. Realistically, 34 companies is a pretty small amount when you're considering how focused of a niche most of them are. Some quick googling shows that most users aren't satisfied and it appears the general idea of a sponsorship is discounted parts.

Looking through their list of sponsors it looks like it's almost all import related stuff (body kits, underbody lights, etc.).
__________________
2006 Ford Ranger Sport 4.0 2WD on 32x11.50R15s
-3" Doetsch Spindle Lift


Using the forum:
How to Post on the Forum
Creating a signature (do this before asking any questions)
Upload an Avatar (image of your Ranger)
How to Post Pictures on the Forum
Switch the site layout: Light Theme or Dark Theme

Things to do:
Participate in Truck of the Month
Participate in the Ranger Photo Contest
Participate in the Non-Automotive Photo Contest
Become a Site Contributor
Shop at the FordRangerForum.com Store
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-25-2011, 11:02 AM
knightmare1015 knightmare1015 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,010
Default Re: Sponsorships 101...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I would like to know more about your experience with carsponsors.com. They charge a $100 application fee which raises red flags. Plus they claim to have "as many as 34 automotive companies" sponsoring people. Realistically, 34 companies is a pretty small amount when you're considering how focused of a niche most of them are. Some quick googling shows that most users aren't satisfied and it appears the general idea of a sponsorship is discounted parts.

Looking through their list of sponsors it looks like it's almost all import related stuff (body kits, underbody lights, etc.).
Well, I always had a pleasant relationship with them. They help get you sponsored with ANY vehicle really. There's an additional fee apon the first sign up that makes the total cost about $100 bucks. But the fee to renew your account is only about $56 bucks which is refundable. Those people that are listed on google that weren't satisfied usually are the ones that didn't pay close attention to what they were getting into. I had 29 different companies call me. Mainly because they wanted something different rather than the usual run of the mill stuff. But yes they do have 34 plus companies willing to sponsor. The discounted parts is only PARTIAL SPONSORSHIPS NOT THE FULL SPONSORSHIPS. Full sponsorships are the ones you really want. You see I have a different approach to things and alot better knowledge than most people do because of my background.
__________________
SOLD: 2004 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0 V6 5 speed



www.knightmare1015.blogspot.com

Last edited by knightmare1015; 03-25-2011 at 11:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-25-2011, 11:40 AM
edgeman4.0 edgeman4.0 is offline
THE COMPLAINT DEPARTMENT
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,962
Default Re: Sponsorships 101...

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightmare1015 View Post
You see I have a different approach to things and alot better knowledge than most people do because of my background.
care to tell more? i'm curious..
__________________
2001 Ford Ranger Supercab (4dr), Oxford White, 4.0 Sohc, 4x4, Manual trans (hurst equipped), 4:10's, 3" body lift.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon-FX4 View Post
The Edgeman sees his prey and strikes out from the darkness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango88 View Post
Dont f+ck with Ch+ck
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-25-2011, 08:22 PM
BCobe BCobe is offline
<- Douche
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 799
Default Re: Sponsorships 101...

Id be kind of sketch to do something like that. Granted FREE parts are nice but what if its not your style? I mean its YOUR car right? You should be able to agree with and disagree with what goes on or in it. You dont want a giant spoiler or hood scoop on a Ranger. So do you be an ass and turn them down and possile lose the sponsor or what?
__________________
I love teh boobies
2002 Ranger XLT (DWB FTMFW )
3" BL, 33" AT's on 15" Mickey T Sig Series. Truxedo, Black headlights, Billet grille
Kenwood Dash, 10" sub, Infinity speaks
K&N Cold Air, Gibson Exhaust
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-26-2011, 07:37 AM
knightmare1015 knightmare1015 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,010
Default Re: Sponsorships 101...

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgeman4.0 View Post
care to tell more? i'm curious..
I grew up in the racing world. Bristol Motor Speedway is my home track. I was trying to get into some form of racing when I suffered a heat stroke. I went a different route than through carsponsors.com. Thunder Legends out of Tennessee who helped me out. They sent me specs of their cars, gave me tips on sponsorships and where to look, and sent me a proposal template to help me create my own

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCobe View Post
Id be kind of sketch to do something like that. Granted FREE parts are nice but what if its not your style? I mean its YOUR car right? You should be able to agree with and disagree with what goes on or in it. You dont want a giant spoiler or hood scoop on a Ranger. So do you be an ass and turn them down and possile lose the sponsor or what?
I was for a good bit. until I talked to them and the companies. carsponsorships.com is one of many ways but I didn't go that route. Thunder Legends helped me out. They were the ones sent me a proposal template and educated me more than carsponsors.com did. About all of the sponsors that carsponsors.com were mostly audio which useless in a dwarf/u.s. legends car.

----------

It seems things have gotton a little out of hand here. carsponsors.com is one of many different ways to get sponsorships, but not the only way. I contacted them and after some research, I went my own route instead of using them. I came close to entering U.S. Legends Racing when I suffered a heat stroke, and other health issues force me to quit before I even got started. It's your ride do what ever you want with it. However you decide to get sponsors is entirely up to you. Basicly all I did was give a few tips based on what I saw first hand and what worked for me. All I was trying to do was to help people out.
__________________
SOLD: 2004 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0 V6 5 speed



www.knightmare1015.blogspot.com

Last edited by STL; 03-26-2011 at 08:07 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-26-2011, 11:47 PM
POPTART972 POPTART972 is offline
I like my ranger
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 419
Default Re: Sponsorships 101...

That looks like another sponsorhouse.com with a lot less options, basically what those companies do is lay out what you are about or what results you've got and you can pick what sponsors you want to get and if your usually with decent results you get a 50 to 70% discount if you run the sponsor logo on your equipment. It isn't a bad deal for the guy who just races for fun but if your trying to make a living, a very detailed, professional looking resume as well as directly contacting the racer support rep of the company you are looking to get sponsored by is the way to go as I have learned after having a manager run my racing program for years.
__________________
2004 v6 3.0 2wd
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-27-2011, 03:22 PM
BCobe BCobe is offline
<- Douche
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 799
Default Re: Sponsorships 101...

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightmare1015 View Post
It seems things have gotton a little out of hand here. carsponsors.com is one of many different ways to get sponsorships, but not the only way. I contacted them and after some research, I went my own route instead of using them. I came close to entering U.S. Legends Racing when I suffered a heat stroke, and other health issues force me to quit before I even got started. It's your ride do what ever you want with it. However you decide to get sponsors is entirely up to you. Basicly all I did was give a few tips based on what I saw first hand and what worked for me. All I was trying to do was to help people out.
We thank you for the info man. Its appreciated. The only thing is since so many people havent used it people have questions and are kind of sketched out. Dont take offense
__________________
I love teh boobies
2002 Ranger XLT (DWB FTMFW )
3" BL, 33" AT's on 15" Mickey T Sig Series. Truxedo, Black headlights, Billet grille
Kenwood Dash, 10" sub, Infinity speaks
K&N Cold Air, Gibson Exhaust
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-27-2011, 07:06 PM
knightmare1015 knightmare1015 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,010
Default Re: Sponsorships 101...

Quote:
Originally Posted by POPTART972 View Post
That looks like another sponsorhouse.com with a lot less options, basically what those companies do is lay out what you are about or what results you've got and you can pick what sponsors you want to get and if your usually with decent results you get a 50 to 70% discount if you run the sponsor logo on your equipment. It isn't a bad deal for the guy who just races for fun but if your trying to make a living, a very detailed, professional looking resume as well as directly contacting the racer support rep of the company you are looking to get sponsored by is the way to go as I have learned after having a manager run my racing program for years.
That's basicly what Thunder Legends helped me do. Row-Ann Brown was extremely helpful and supportive. All carsponsors.com did was put me in touch with a few companies. And about 85% of those weren't needed or wanted. All I could use was tires from them and I really couldn't use them either considering U.S. Legends Racing uses the same tires on all cars from one company.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BCobe View Post
We thank you for the info man. Its appreciated. The only thing is since so many people havent used it people have questions and are kind of sketched out. Dont take offense
None taken just one guy made a rude comment concerning my background, and Dale Earnhardt Sr. which I will leave at that. I'm glad my info was helpful to some concerning this matter to clear up some issues people may have.

----------

For those wondering as to whom my sponsors were that I had here is whom I had sponsoring me: A local State Farm Insurance Agency, A couple of local steakhouse restaurants, and one local Chevron gas station was willing to supply me with fuel for All of my vehicles. He was my main sponsor.
__________________
SOLD: 2004 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0 V6 5 speed



www.knightmare1015.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-27-2011, 07:16 PM
POPTART972 POPTART972 is offline
I like my ranger
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 419
Default Re: Sponsorships 101...

Alright I got one for ya, why don't you say how sponsoring you can increase their revenue? I've always had a very detailed section in my resume where they can see how I will add value to their company by what kind of exposure and impact I have on my sport. I really think that's a big part of it considering they need to know what they are getting into whether they are a large or small company. Just my .02
__________________
2004 v6 3.0 2wd
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-28-2011, 07:47 AM
knightmare1015 knightmare1015 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,010
Wink Re: Sponsorships 101...

Quote:
Originally Posted by POPTART972 View Post
Alright I got one for ya, why don't you say how sponsoring you can increase their revenue? I've always had a very detailed section in my resume where they can see how I will add value to their company by what kind of exposure and impact I have on my sport. I really think that's a big part of it considering they need to know what they are getting into whether they are a large or small company. Just my .02
You just answered your own question my friend. Detailing how you plan to promote the sponsor and advertise the sponsor is basicly what you're paid to do. Blogs, websites, shows, tv, races, and interviews after races such as those for SCCA, and National Autosport Asssociation (NASA Pro Racing) which is promoted on their own website and in grassroots racing magazine is what you would want to do. Saying you'll increase their product/part sales is not a good idea, but saying that you plan to advertise their company and get them more exposure is the way to go. It's one thing to be a value to a company in terms of advertising, but it's another saying you can increase their sales revenue.
__________________
SOLD: 2004 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0 V6 5 speed



www.knightmare1015.blogspot.com

Last edited by knightmare1015; 03-28-2011 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Rephrasing
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-28-2011, 08:34 AM
knightmare1015 knightmare1015 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,010
Default Re: Sponsorships 101...

Quote:
Originally Posted by POPTART972 View Post
Alright I got one for ya, why don't you say how sponsoring you can increase their revenue? I've always had a very detailed section in my resume where they can see how I will add value to their company by what kind of exposure and impact I have on my sport. I really think that's a big part of it considering they need to know what they are getting into whether they are a large or small company. Just my .02
I get what you're saying man. In fact I'd love to hear about your program and details myself. I might pick up a thing or to.
__________________
SOLD: 2004 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0 V6 5 speed



www.knightmare1015.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-28-2011, 08:46 AM
POPTART972 POPTART972 is offline
I like my ranger
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 419
Default Re: Sponsorships 101...

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightmare1015 View Post
You just answered your own question my friend. Saying those exact words usually turns people away but explaining how you can increase their companies exposure is a different matter. The part I was talking about was someone trying to push products such as parts onto people.
Gotcha! Just so in other words you really are increasing their revenue with out putting it that way with tv time and big events where the public can see the product which is better than just being on the wall in the shop and they can see how it performs as well. So this is a big part of what the sponsors look at so like you said proper wording but don't promise the world and BS it considering your relationship with a sponsor is one of the most important parts, them liking you, and most of all believing in you because in reality its all about who you know doesn't matter what industry. So its important not to burn bridges!
__________________
2004 v6 3.0 2wd
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-28-2011, 09:27 AM
POPTART972 POPTART972 is offline
I like my ranger
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 419
Default Re: Sponsorships 101...

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightmare1015 View Post
I get what you're saying man. In fact I'd love to hear about your program and details myself. I might pick up a thing or to.
sure, I'd be happy to help you, my program is going to be different since I don't do cars or shows but its the same concept, in the middle of doing an off road truck for best in the desert after racing bikes since I can remember, but its all the same understanding and being marketable.
__________________
2004 v6 3.0 2wd
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-28-2011, 10:26 AM
knightmare1015 knightmare1015 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,010
Default Re: Sponsorships 101...

Quote:
Originally Posted by POPTART972 View Post
Gotcha! Just so in other words you really are increasing their revenue with out putting it that way with tv time and big events where the public can see the product which is better than just being on the wall in the shop and they can see how it performs as well. So this is a big part of what the sponsors look at so like you said proper wording but don't promise the world and BS it considering your relationship with a sponsor is one of the most important parts, them liking you, and most of all believing in you because in reality its all about who you know doesn't matter what industry. So its important not to burn bridges!

Exactly . Most people don't do this and dig themselves in a hole before they even get started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by POPTART972 View Post
sure, I'd be happy to help you, my program is going to be different since I don't do cars or shows but its the same concept, in the middle of doing an off road truck for best in the desert after racing bikes since I can remember, but its all the same understanding and being marketable.
That would be great to compare notes. I basicly can't do anything right now due to my health. But still would like to know more. Knowledge is power in this industry, and the more I retain the better. I did sign up for the Lincoln Electric Motorsports program, but I never contacted them except to inform them that I had suffered some health issues and had to withdraw. They offer top notch welding equip and some classes at a huge discount. Some of them are even in Nascar as we speak and got in due to the welding classes they offer.
__________________
SOLD: 2004 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0 V6 5 speed



www.knightmare1015.blogspot.com

Last edited by knightmare1015; 03-28-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
american eagle 101 blacks RangerRunner Wheels and Tires 0 05-30-2010 08:59 AM