Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #31  
Old 02-02-2011, 08:02 PM
pooleo pooleo is offline
Ban Survivor. (x2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,764
Default Re: Air box mod on steroids

Hey FireRanger, you need to relax. You have given yourself the track record for bashing on people with air intake question/inquiry.

How is what I stated (fact by the way) considered stalking/creepy...?

You get offended by someone pointing out the obvious.

Driving a vehicle with this type of mod will not suck in hot air, maybe while standing still. But a moving vehicle will not draw in engine heat. And sacrafice engine performance.

READ: THIS ARTICLE WAS WRITTEN BY ERIK LUCAS

The general assumptions

Most people say the performance cone air filters will raise performance slightly. Select groups of people say K&N filters will provide no performance gain or even a performance loss since they suck in the hot engine air. Some people even go as far to say performance intakes hurt the engine since they may let in more dirt than stock filters. What is true?

The truth

The truth is with a performance intake you WILL lose power in stop and go traffic. The reason for this is simple. By creeping along for 30 or more minutes at 45 MPH your engine really heats up. Since you are going slowly at an unsteady rate, airflow into the engine bay is very erratic. This will force the air filter to suck in the hot engine air. Since hot air is less dense you will lose performance. However, on short trips, joyrides, or highway travelling, you will gain performance since there is a consistent cold airflow into the engine bay.

LINKY:http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/gen...r-intakes.html
__________________
1999 | Ext. Cab | 4.0 | 4x4 | 4.10's
Quote:
A Gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Each time he enters the arena, he slips his c0ck in the mouth of the beast, and prays to thrust home before the jaws snap shut. - Oenomaus
Ball Joints/Upper A-Arms How To
Replace Door pin/bushing
Repair broken dome light tabs
VIDEO OHC Install
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-02-2011, 08:05 PM
terryduanemiller terryduanemiller is offline
www.shanewootenband.com
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,896
Default Re: Air box mod on steroids

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarMike View Post
you have to over look 9 out of 10 Yankee's they have NBAS "natural born a-hole syndrome"


the only reason I bought a K&N, is the only advantage of a K&N, is the fact that it's reusable
__________________
MY BUILD THREAD
1999 MAZDA 2500SE, 2.5L 4-clanger, 5 speed, Green n slow. Rangers as daily drivers since 1988.
ASE Certified Mechanic, Builder of Show Destroying Protouring and Classic cars..

Last edited by terryduanemiller; 02-02-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-02-2011, 09:01 PM
FireRanger FireRanger is offline
Blinded by the light
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 7,674
Send a message via AIM to FireRanger
Default Re: Air box mod on steroids

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleo View Post
Hey FireRanger, you need to relax. You have given yourself the track record for bashing on people with air intake question/inquiry.
Actually no. That's not true at all. That's a lie that you and a few other people like to purport since you don't have anything intelligent to add. When people question or inquire about them, I'm very nice to them. I give them the facts.

It's people like you and a few others that escalate it into an argument with your lack of information and denial every damn time. And it's people like you and those few others that I fire back at, not the person who's just asking and wondering what the deal is. And it's you that follows me around the forum trying to counter everything I say even when you have no clue what you're talking about. It's getting creepy, really old, totally unprovoked, and totally uncalled for, just like in this thread.

So no, what you said isn't a fact. As usual. Run along now, your village is looking for you.
__________________
(Formerly)
FireRanger
2003 Edge 4.0 4wd

How to: Aux light wiring, relays, & fuses
Info: 300+ intake threads here on FRF
Info: HID Projectors
How To: NO HEAT Troubleshooting Guide

Last edited by FireRanger; 02-03-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-02-2011, 11:18 PM
Bird76Mojo Bird76Mojo is offline
troll extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 536
Default Re: Air box mod on steroids

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryduanemiller View Post
think logically, take a shop-vac, hover it over a bowl of water, it will not suck it up untill you submerge the end in the water....

I drag race my Mopars, old racer trick to remove carbon is: remove air filter, run car at 3000rpms, and slowly poor a gallon of water into carb..
I recently did this to my moms S-10..
a little water will not hurt anything.. in the right application, it helps

My fathers old buddy has some old tractors that use a water injection system. It creates more power when added at higher RPMs, and in the correct amount. I thought it was odd as hell but it's what manufacturers used to use..



GB
__________________
2001 Ranger Edge Regular cab, auto 4.0L 4x4 4.10LS

1989 Ranger Regular cab longbed, manual 2.9 4x4

Parts BroncoII's x 3
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-03-2011, 05:40 AM
naturecakezzz naturecakezzz is offline
black mamba!!!!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,213
Default Re: Air box mod on steroids

Ladies ladies, the bickering gets old real fast. Now kiss and make up.
__________________
2000 ranger 4.0v6 4x4 ext. Cab with a cap
Mods....
http://www.fordrangerforum.com/proje...start-now.html
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-03-2011, 04:46 PM
turbographx turbographx is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 273
Default Re: Air box mod on steroids

Question: Why is everyone so "gung-ho" to chop up an intake system that is already drawing in cold air?

Water injection is also used on extreme High compression engines. (via large boost mostly) to further cool the induction charge and ward off detonation (ping)
__________________
93 Ranger Splash. Standard cab. 3.0 v-6, 5spd.
Mods: New engine and trans. Cluster swap with tach. New headunit and speakers all around. 4x4 front valance. Led turn indicator mirrors. Crystal clear head lamps. Clear corners. 5" driving lights in Valance.
Mods to come: 'stang seats, explorer console, window tint, flowmaster cat back, some mild port work.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-03-2011, 04:47 PM
DiabloBlanco DiabloBlanco is offline
Get Lifted.
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,402
Default Re: Air box mod on steroids

personal preference. nothing more.
__________________
YZ the way to be!
The Brotherhood!

Mods to come: Camburg entry 6.0 system. FiberwerkX Fenders and bedsides. Tube bumper.
R.I.P. Jeff Ashton. 1992-2011
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-03-2011, 05:04 PM
TurdFX4 TurdFX4 is offline
Sept. 2011 TOTM
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,771
Default Re: Air box mod on steroids

Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-03-2011, 05:07 PM
DiabloBlanco DiabloBlanco is offline
Get Lifted.
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,402
Default Re: Air box mod on steroids

It went bad a long time ago adam. What do you think my vent was about
__________________
YZ the way to be!
The Brotherhood!

Mods to come: Camburg entry 6.0 system. FiberwerkX Fenders and bedsides. Tube bumper.
R.I.P. Jeff Ashton. 1992-2011
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-03-2011, 05:30 PM
TurdFX4 TurdFX4 is offline
Sept. 2011 TOTM
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,771
Default Re: Air box mod on steroids

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloBlanco View Post
It went bad a long time ago adam. What do you think my vent was about
I read that... I agree.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 02-03-2011, 07:10 PM
Clinton Clinton is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 14,049
Default Re: Air box mod on steroids

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireranger View Post
more holes doesn't equal more air. The existing hole in the front is already perfectly adequate, it doesn't need more so adding more holes will not make it magically suck more.
giggity!!! Oooooohhhhh riight!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 02-03-2011, 09:52 PM
02BlueRanger 02BlueRanger is offline
Trick my Truck
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 387
Default Re: Air box mod on steroids

nothing like another CAI argument gone out of control
__________________
2002 Wedgwood Blue 4x4 |CAI, Dual Gibson Exhaust, Re-tuned | Exterior/Interior LED
Painted Interior | Painted exterior trim and black chrome
Black Leather Racing Seats | Black Carpet
Dual Headunit | Pioneer Speakers 180 W ea.
ATX 16x8 wheels on 30" BFG | 5% rear tint 20% front | Headlight Mod | 8K HIDS
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 02-03-2011, 10:01 PM
Ranger Sport Ranger Sport is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,137
Default Re: Air box mod on steroids

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02BlueRanger View Post
nothing like another CAI argument gone out of control
Is to be expected on here.




Except this thread is not about CAIs





lawl.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 02-03-2011, 10:04 PM
02BlueRanger 02BlueRanger is offline
Trick my Truck
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 387
Default Re: Air box mod on steroids

hahaha true and yes, my mistake, a CAI or Airbox mod argument
__________________
2002 Wedgwood Blue 4x4 |CAI, Dual Gibson Exhaust, Re-tuned | Exterior/Interior LED
Painted Interior | Painted exterior trim and black chrome
Black Leather Racing Seats | Black Carpet
Dual Headunit | Pioneer Speakers 180 W ea.
ATX 16x8 wheels on 30" BFG | 5% rear tint 20% front | Headlight Mod | 8K HIDS
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 02-04-2011, 02:02 AM
TerrenceStuart TerrenceStuart is offline
Old man driver.
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 14,895
Default Re: Air box mod on steroids

I removed the snorkel from my air box 5 years ago. air filter did not get dirty any faster, the trucks performance was not altered, the engine does not get hotter and water was not "sucked" into the air filter.
__________________
some kind of vehicle.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
air box mod for 1997 4.0 pwilliams90 4.0 SOHC / 4.0 OHV Tech 2 11-08-2013 08:40 AM
Air box mod Clawges General Ford Ranger Discussion 6 01-03-2011 02:16 PM
did air box mod now have some problems... rangertim General Tech 53 10-18-2010 03:54 AM
Air Box Mod? hotshower10 4-Cylinder Tech 11 08-17-2010 06:58 AM
Does anyone know how to do the air box mod for my ranger? mwolverine8 3.0 Vulcan Tech 6 12-10-2009 05:51 PM