Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #16  
Old 11-09-2010, 07:30 PM
01_ranger_4x4 01_ranger_4x4 is offline
OIF Veteran

 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 6,043
Default Re: ranger vs f150

alot of fleet vehicles here are rangers. most of the parts store delivery trucks, city trucks, county trucks ect ect. hell the local napa delivery ranger has 400,000 miles on it and its still tickin! to comment on the disk brake thing i do think its stupid that chevy went back to drums, nothing like taking a step backwards. i heard they had alot of issues with there rear disks so they just gave up and went back to drums. i would take the rear discs i have on my 05 F-150 over the stupid ass drums i have on my ranger any day. drums may last longer but only because they dont really do anything most of the time.
__________________
2001 Ranger 4x4 Stepside
-RCD Suspension lift
-33x12.5 BFG KM2's on Mickey Thomson classic locks
-4:56 gears
-Auburn gear LS
-James Duff traction bars
-Headers
-Flowmaster duals
-SCT X-Cal2 and some small exterior mods

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2321189

2005 F-150 Lariat 4x4
-LED third brake light
-Weathertech floor liners
-Edge tuner
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-09-2010, 07:35 PM
southbama man southbama man is offline
Roll Tide
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 732
Default Re: ranger vs f150

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike360000 View Post
F 150 is just to dang big...PERIOD
Hell no. A semi is too big. I wish I had an F-250.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01_ranger_4x4 View Post
alot of fleet vehicles here are rangers. most of the parts store delivery trucks, city trucks, county trucks ect ect. hell the local napa delivery ranger has 400,000 miles on it and its still tickin! to comment on the disk brake thing i do think its stupid that chevy went back to drums, nothing like taking a step backwards. i heard they had alot of issues with there rear disks so they just gave up and went back to drums. i would take the rear discs i have on my 05 F-150 over the stupid ass drums i have on my ranger any day. drums may last longer but only because they dont really do anything most of the time.
I hate damn drum brakes. My back tires have drum brakes. They are a pain to replace.
__________________
20O3 extended cab, 2wd, silver, 3.0, toyo spectrum tires, 10,000k HID's, 8' in bazooka tube, and UWS toolbox
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-09-2010, 07:49 PM
pooleo pooleo is offline
Ban Survivor. (x2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,764
Default Re: ranger vs f150

speaking of drums, my first Ranger which was a '67 F-100 had drum brakes all the way around and did not have power steering or brakes!
__________________
1999 | Ext. Cab | 4.0 | 4x4 | 4.10's
Quote:
A Gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Each time he enters the arena, he slips his c0ck in the mouth of the beast, and prays to thrust home before the jaws snap shut. - Oenomaus
Ball Joints/Upper A-Arms How To
Replace Door pin/bushing
Repair broken dome light tabs
VIDEO OHC Install
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-09-2010, 07:55 PM
05RangerEdge 05RangerEdge is offline
I'm a sell out
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,299
Default Re: ranger vs f150

I have had both and I love both trucks! But the F150 only works if there is a Ranger option IMO if that makes any sense. People/Businesses need options. It would be shame if the F150 was the smallest of the mainstream fleet
__________________
SOLD: 2005 Ranger EDGE+ Supercab (2dr) 4x2
SOLD: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 QC 5.7 HEMI
CURRENT: 2015 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-09-2010, 07:55 PM
darkstar_420 darkstar_420 is offline
Lowered 00
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 765
Default Re: ranger vs f150

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01_ranger_4x4 View Post
alot of fleet vehicles here are rangers. most of the parts store delivery trucks, city trucks, county trucks ect ect. hell the local napa delivery ranger has 400,000 miles on it and its still tickin! to comment on the disk brake thing i do think its stupid that chevy went back to drums, nothing like taking a step backwards. i heard they had alot of issues with there rear disks so they just gave up and went back to drums. i would take the rear discs i have on my 05 F-150 over the stupid ass drums i have on my ranger any day. drums may last longer but only because they dont really do anything most of the time.
does your 05 have the head tick like my 05?
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-09-2010, 07:56 PM
pooleo pooleo is offline
Ban Survivor. (x2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,764
Default Re: ranger vs f150

I don't think that F-150 are to big, more that they are very un-proportinate. When they sit at on level ground the tailgate is level with the hood! and the windows are to damn small. To much hieght from the bottom of the cab to the bottom of the window.

Now take the superduty, yes they are big, but they also look like they belong. Box to cab hieght looks correct. Same as a ranger, they just plain look like they belong there.
Everything is good.

I remember heading out to a job site and saying to my boss how great it would be if ford put in the superduty styling into the F-150. Which the next year they did. Those trucks look good. '04-'08 I wouldn't mind driving one.
__________________
1999 | Ext. Cab | 4.0 | 4x4 | 4.10's
Quote:
A Gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Each time he enters the arena, he slips his c0ck in the mouth of the beast, and prays to thrust home before the jaws snap shut. - Oenomaus
Ball Joints/Upper A-Arms How To
Replace Door pin/bushing
Repair broken dome light tabs
VIDEO OHC Install
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-09-2010, 08:16 PM
southbama man southbama man is offline
Roll Tide
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 732
Default Re: ranger vs f150

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleo8 View Post
I don't think that F-150 are to big, more that they are very un-proportinate. When they sit at on level ground the tailgate is level with the hood! and the windows are to damn small. To much hieght from the bottom of the cab to the bottom of the window.

Now take the superduty, yes they are big, but they also look like they belong. Box to cab hieght looks correct. Same as a ranger, they just plain look like they belong there.
Everything is good.

I remember heading out to a job site and saying to my boss how great it would be if ford put in the superduty styling into the F-150. Which the next year they did. Those trucks look good. '04-'08 I wouldn't mind driving one.
That truck had to grow on me for a while before I liked it. At first I didn't like how the front looked like expeditions and explorers. After a few months I loved it.
__________________
20O3 extended cab, 2wd, silver, 3.0, toyo spectrum tires, 10,000k HID's, 8' in bazooka tube, and UWS toolbox
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-09-2010, 08:57 PM
mransr mransr is offline
Ford Truck Driver
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 88
Default Re: ranger vs f150

I had a 97 F-150 and that felt way too big too, I can't imagine hauling around all the bulk of a current F-150 with me every day. And there is NO WAY it would ever fit in my 50 year old garage, much less share the space with the Mustang...

No, for me a Ranger is a much better sized truck for a "non-contractor" and it doesn't make sense that Ford is willingly abandoning that market :shrug:
__________________
mike

2002 Ranger XLT Supercab; 2WD, 4.0, Automatic
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-09-2010, 09:26 PM
EMB1230 EMB1230 is offline
On my 3rd Ranger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,398
Send a message via AIM to EMB1230 Send a message via Yahoo to EMB1230 Send a message via Skype™ to EMB1230
Default Re: ranger vs f150

I heard that automakers switch back to drums to save money, but aren't discs a lot less complex than drums?
__________________
1987 2.3/TK5, 125K.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-09-2010, 09:26 PM
kulon00ranger kulon00ranger is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10
Default Re: ranger vs f150

i agree a crew cab diesel ranger with a 6 speed is right up my ally the sport trac should be dropped not the rangers. in europe ford makes nothing but diesel motors for their rangers, my one friend has family over in ukraine i might have to have him find me a wrecked ranger with a diesel and buy it. im sick of gas diesel is wayyy better
__________________
2000 ford ranger xlt 4x4 off road package ext cab
3in body lift
stampede camo bug gaurd and window visors
avs front black outs
Cherry Bomb Glasspack
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-09-2010, 10:04 PM
Chris Chris is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 257
Default Re: ranger vs f150

There is no way that 5k you can get a diesel super duty unless it is maybe base, and if it is it would be a bonestock 2WD super duty with a clutch driven fan, and the old style 6.4L ie one they are trying to get rid of to make for the new 2011. As for Ford F150's they have 4 new engines that are coming out. The base option is a 3.7L V6 pushing 306. The next option is a 385 HP 5.0L V8, the next one is the 6.2L V8 pushing 411 HP and 434lb's of torque, then for 2000 more you can get a dual turbo 3.5L Ecoboost pushing 365 HP and 420lb's of torque, and that is at idle, all the while out of each of these new engines you get a nice mpg rating.

As for 27k for a Ranger. Thats the sticker price. They will come down a few grand off each. Either way that F150 is probably a 2WD Economy with the 4.6L V8 in it, and again its a 2010 that they are trying to get rid of. I worked a dealership and I know when they are trying to get rid of them. A FX4 F150 with 3.73 Gears and all the goodies can get expensive, like 35k on up, but then again if you're gonna spend 35k then why not go for the Raptor and dish out 38k.

Most likely the F150 you speak of had 3.55 rear end which is okay for pulling but not ideal, and cloth seats, and probably just a single cab. Ford can lower the price of the Ranger to match some of the base model F150's because at the end of the day its a matter of what someone wants.

Heres a link to what Ford has in store for the new F150's. I am excited myself. I mean come on a 365 HP out of a V6 and that being at idle.

F150's are not all big and bulky. Remember the svt lightnings. A base 2WD F150 wasn't that big. My old 04 Ranger sit up higher then some F150's... Ranger was a great truck for me, but when you have a kid and got a single cab ranger there is not much room for My son, My girl, and I in the truck, and even if I had a Extended cab still not a lot of room.

As for playing and having fun the F150 and Ranger are both gonna do what they were meant to, and Ford has a reputation for making one helluva a tough truck.

And to throw out there on the Chevrolet comment. CHEVY is the most garbage company to ever touch a vehicle. GM in general is. There isn't one thing in the world that ever appeared to me about a junky ass chevy. I can point out one major issue with GM's vehicles and this goes back to the old Oldsmobiles, and big body Monte Carlos and Muscle cars that GM made back in through the 60's to the 90's. This problem is still here today. It is not uncommon to drive around and see either a tail light burnt out in a GM product mostly the Silverado and GMC's, or the front day time running light burnt out on either the drive or passenger side. I have buddy's that own 04's, and that includes my dads 04 to. They constantly are burning head lights out, and my dad's truck with 123k on it has a issue with the temp gauge. When ehs driving it shoots all the way down to nothing, and then pops back up to where its suppose to be, not before knocking all the power out to the truck. I call the Silverado's that have those lights out, the winkers. Thats exactly what it looks like. As for Ford's F150's body style. Hey atleast it doesn't looking a god damn football player with shoulder pads like the Silverado's do. God that new silverado truck is ugly as hell. GM is always trying to out do Ford. Its awful funny in every commercial they never mention Ford now days. Just mention Dodge and Toyota, because how could you tell a lie that your truck is better then Ford, at hauling a certain number of pay load when in reality its defiantly NOT. GM's drum brakes was a rather stupid idea. However as a F150 owner now, I do note that the Ford F150's from 04-06 have a issue with the spark plugs getting stuck and even breaking off in the heads, costing a lot of money to get it fixed, because it requires a special tool. The other problem is the infamous 5.4L tick that is caused by the cam phaser's. The other issue is the F150's warp the rotors or at least that seems to be what a lot of people have had issues with.
__________________
2004 Ford F150 Automatic FX4 SuperCrew 5.4L 3V Triton V8, No Muffler, true dual straight pipes, 3.73 Gears, 18" rims with Wrangler A/T's
White 2004 Ford Ranger XL, Auto, 4.0 SOHC, 4x4 Base Model, 16" Explorer Rims. 3.73 Gears, No muffler(Sold)
White 1997 Ford Expedition XLT 3inch Suspension lift, 38 Firestone M/T's 98 4.6L Police Interceptor high flow injectors, Super 44, brand new rebuilt transmission, with 3.73 gears(Not mine no more)

Last edited by Chris; 11-09-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-09-2010, 10:09 PM
red_rider red_rider is offline
a Mazda in Ford clothing
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 42
Send a message via AIM to red_rider Send a message via MSN to red_rider
Default Re: ranger vs f150

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike360000 View Post
F 150 is just to dang big...PERIOD!
Regardless to mpg it's still big!
And no way around it, regardless to mpg, the F 150 will
cost more to operate than a Ranger.

I don't want a BIG truck, I want a small to medium size truck!
I don't need a BIG truck, but I do need a small or medium
sized truck.
Preach it. Plus I like the proportions/looks of the Ranger a lot better than the newer bigger trucks, pretty much all other trucks have gotten too bloated looking IMO.
__________________
1997 Mazda B2300 5-speed extended cab: 113k miles

Mods done: Throttle cable
Mods to come: Front leveling springs
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-10-2010, 06:08 AM
Maritime Storm Maritime Storm is offline
A Damn Proud Maritimer
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 754
Default Re: ranger vs f150

"I could understand the F 150's n Canada, but not
for most of the US. I do know of companies that use
Rangers as their fleet trucks."

Please explain your logic for this? The Ranger is the #3 most sold vehicle in Canada, it follows the F150 and the Honda Civic. Here in the Maritimes it's actually the most sold. The Ranger FEL package is a very common fleet vehicle here. $26K US is pretty steep for a Ranger, my '09 Ranger Sport 4.0L was $13,800 plus taxes and interest off the lot($12.599 plus a couple of toys). The same incentives are still on a year later on the FEL and Sport 2.3L, the F150 starts in at $20K at my local dealer.
__________________
2009 Ranger Sport 4.0L 5 Spd 3.55:1 Bone Stock
2013 Scion FR-S 2.0L/H-4, 6spd, 4.11:1 Fast Enough Stock
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-10-2010, 08:33 AM
mike360000 mike360000 is offline
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 36
Default Re: ranger vs f150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Storm View Post
"I could understand the F 150's n Canada, but not
for most of the US. I do know of companies that use
Rangers as their fleet trucks."

Please explain your logic for this? The Ranger is the #3 most sold vehicle in Canada, it follows the F150 and the Honda Civic. Here in the Maritimes it's actually the most sold. The Ranger FEL package is a very common fleet vehicle here. $26K US is pretty steep for a Ranger, my '09 Ranger Sport 4.0L was $13,800 plus taxes and interest off the lot($12.599 plus a couple of toys). The same incentives are still on a year later on the FEL and Sport 2.3L, the F150 starts in at $20K at my local dealer.
Ask Darkstar_420 to explain it. He was the one that said
he knew of NO Rangers being used as fleet vehicles in
Canada. He says he's from Canada too! I'm not saying, in
any way that Rangers are not good sellers in Canada.
Just I could see more practicality in F 150's there.

My logic is that there are more wide open spaces in
Canada. Roads less crowded and generally more room
for larger vehicles, not being constrained.

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-10-2010, 09:04 AM
mike360000 mike360000 is offline
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 36
Default Re: ranger vs f150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
There is no way that 5k you can get a diesel super duty unless it is maybe base, and if it is it would be a bonestock 2WD super duty with a clutch driven fan, and the old style 6.4L ie one they are trying to get rid of to make for the new 2011. As for Ford F150's they have 4 new engines that are coming out. The base option is a 3.7L V6 pushing 306. The next option is a 385 HP 5.0L V8, the next one is the 6.2L V8 pushing 411 HP and 434lb's of torque, then for 2000 more you can get a dual turbo 3.5L Ecoboost pushing 365 HP and 420lb's of torque, and that is at idle, all the while out of each of these new engines you get a nice mpg rating.

As for 27k for a Ranger. Thats the sticker price. They will come down a few grand off each. Either way that F150 is probably a 2WD Economy with the 4.6L V8 in it, and again its a 2010 that they are trying to get rid of. I worked a dealership and I know when they are trying to get rid of them. A FX4 F150 with 3.73 Gears and all the goodies can get expensive, like 35k on up, but then again if you're gonna spend 35k then why not go for the Raptor and dish out 38k.

Most likely the F150 you speak of had 3.55 rear end which is okay for pulling but not ideal, and cloth seats, and probably just a single cab. Ford can lower the price of the Ranger to match some of the base model F150's because at the end of the day its a matter of what someone wants.

Heres a link to what Ford has in store for the new F150's. I am excited myself. I mean come on a 365 HP out of a V6 and that being at idle.

F150's are not all big and bulky. Remember the svt lightnings. A base 2WD F150 wasn't that big. My old 04 Ranger sit up higher then some F150's... Ranger was a great truck for me, but when you have a kid and got a single cab ranger there is not much room for My son, My girl, and I in the truck, and even if I had a Extended cab still not a lot of room.

As for playing and having fun the F150 and Ranger are both gonna do what they were meant to, and Ford has a reputation for making one helluva a tough truck.

And to throw out there on the Chevrolet comment. CHEVY is the most garbage company to ever touch a vehicle. GM in general is. There isn't one thing in the world that ever appeared to me about a junky ass chevy. I can point out one major issue with GM's vehicles and this goes back to the old Oldsmobiles, and big body Monte Carlos and Muscle cars that GM made back in through the 60's to the 90's. This problem is still here today. It is not uncommon to drive around and see either a tail light burnt out in a GM product mostly the Silverado and GMC's, or the front day time running light burnt out on either the drive or passenger side. I have buddy's that own 04's, and that includes my dads 04 to. They constantly are burning head lights out, and my dad's truck with 123k on it has a issue with the temp gauge. When ehs driving it shoots all the way down to nothing, and then pops back up to where its suppose to be, not before knocking all the power out to the truck. I call the Silverado's that have those lights out, the winkers. Thats exactly what it looks like. As for Ford's F150's body style. Hey atleast it doesn't looking a god damn football player with shoulder pads like the Silverado's do. God that new silverado truck is ugly as hell. GM is always trying to out do Ford. Its awful funny in every commercial they never mention Ford now days. Just mention Dodge and Toyota, because how could you tell a lie that your truck is better then Ford, at hauling a certain number of pay load when in reality its defiantly NOT. GM's drum brakes was a rather stupid idea. However as a F150 owner now, I do note that the Ford F150's from 04-06 have a issue with the spark plugs getting stuck and even breaking off in the heads, costing a lot of money to get it fixed, because it requires a special tool. The other problem is the infamous 5.4L tick that is caused by the cam phaser's. The other issue is the F150's warp the rotors or at least that seems to be what a lot of people have had issues with.
My 2011 Ranger: 4 door super cab, 4wd, xlt package...
etc. Has everything "BUT" cd changer, chrome package,
bed liner, remote start. (Maybe one other thing I'm forgetting?)
Anyhow the sticker with freight was
$27995.00 . Then add prep, tax and tags. Bottom line
was my trade in, kept 1k of rebates and paid $20,646.00
for the truck. Oh, they included painting my camper and
installing it on my Ranger. (Was a nice paint job.)

No one ever replied as to why Ford went back to drums
on their new global truck? But yeah, drums sucky
really bad!

As for GM, Government Motors or as I call them,
g*d d*amn motors, I despise that company with a purple
passion. They stand for practically every last thing that
Ford doesn't! Well their philosophy is different.

As for their problems, here's a few that GM hid and
swept under their rug. Bad auto transmissions by the
tens of thousands. Mis-matched transmissions in
engine, model combos. The quick make over of a gas
engine to diesel. Engines gave problems the whole time.
Bad paint. Rusting bodies. Engines wearing out
prematurely. Water leaks by the tens of thousands.
Covering up sub safety standards. Shoddy interiors,
not holding up. Electrical problems, including the lights.
(Again a problem tens of thousands of vehicles.)
And I can go on......

GM was founded by the original people who first
funded Henry Ford. Ford fell out with them over
the Cadillac. The investors wanting an expensive car
that made big money. They also didn't give a shit about
quality and Henry was nuts over quality! They parted,
with the Cadillac as the first brand of the future GM.

Then comes along Harry Chevrolet. Another greedy
bastard who shared the same or similar philosophy
as the investors. The investors needed a good
auto engineer and so Chevrolet was made a partner.
Chevrolet brought greed to new heights by starting
the advertising which made people feel guilty over
having a vehicle a couple years old. He started the
yearly facelifts of vehicles to drive home the fact that
it was new and improved and anyone not trading
for a new Chevy was "behind the times".

Yes, those fools were a match for each other!
And ole man Henry would only shake his head at
what he perceived as greedy non-sense...

Sure is odd how Ford can be singled out for the
most minor of flaws and hung for them while GM
gets away with theft and more!

As I said the philosophies of the 2 companies are
completely opposite. And at least I can take a little
heart and feel better over the fact that the philosophy
of Henry at least survives enough today at Ford, so
I have been able to smile and say Henry was right.
That my philosophy is also right, because of
g*d d*mn motors bankruptcy proves they are insanely
wrong! Did I tell anyone how bad I hate GM?

Mike

Last edited by mike360000; 11-10-2010 at 09:07 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
i got an f150 an my sons got a ranger cudaman Introduce Yourself 6 10-18-2010 10:49 AM
f150 stx rims on ranger??!! :P DRFTNGKNG Wheels and Tires 3 10-03-2010 08:39 AM
88 f150 swapped with 97 ranger dustynjustin 8-Cylinder Tech 1 08-30-2010 09:05 AM
Sold the Ranger and bought a F150 Supercrew Vrod21 General Ford Ranger Discussion 9 06-06-2010 03:29 PM
f150 springs on ranger timay4337 Lifted Suspension 0 03-02-2010 10:52 AM