Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 10-25-2010, 06:52 AM
sheltonfilms sheltonfilms is offline
Junkyard Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,842
Default Need some info on Keyless entry

I taking a full harness out of a 99 Mazda 4.0 A/T and putting it into my 2000 Ranger 2.5 A/T. Pretty much im just gonna replace the headlight/cruise harness/ac, and then the interior (inside the dash) harness. I'm doing this to add power locks/windows and cruise control. Now if wanted to use the Mazda's keyless entry how would I go about that? Which modules would I have to swap? Would it just be the RAPS module?

I don't want to have a key with a chip, I've heard that as long as you don't switch in a pats module you don't have to do this.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
__________________
Automotive Electronics Engineer
2000 XLT 2.5L A/T
Mods:
Explorer OHC
Explorer Autodim Mirrors w/ Autolamps
Explorer Sport White Face Gauges
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-25-2010, 07:35 AM
rwenzing rwenzing is offline
Some assembly required...
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 890
Default Re: Need some info on Keyless entry

The 99 Mazda 4.0 dash harness will have the wiring for the PATS Module but your 2.5 PCM shouldn't be programmed to recognize or use it. My guess is that this is a non issue but it's something to be aware of.

The PW/PL will probably need a few relays added in addition to the RAP module. Compare the underhood Distribution Box and the relay box up under the dash to the right of the column for relay differences and possible missing pin terminals.

The cruise control clockspring usually has more conductors than the non-cruise CS so it would probably need to be changed. That requires pulling the steering wheel and the ignition lock cylinder. Always have the front wheels pointed straight head when swapping clocksprings to avoid having the CS fail down the road. If the donor vehicle was in a front end hit or the wheels are not straight ahead, the clockspring could be broken already or it could be "out of time" with the steering.

Watch for differences in ABS because both RABS (GEM controlled) and 4WABS (4WABS Module controlled) were available in 99~2000. The wiring harnesses have several differences and this affects the speedometer as well as the ABS.

There could still be some other electrical traps waiting for you in this swap but I can't think of any right now.
__________________
2003 FX4 Level II, Supercharged 5.0L V8, Headers, Duals
BW4406 manual transfer case, Aussie Locker, Torsen L/S, 4.10's
Bilstein 7100 rezzies, Cadillac/Mustang rear discs, Duff traction bars
Keypad Entry, Lock LEDs, ABS switch, sway bar discos
Heated seats, Explorer EATC, Trip Computer and consoles

2003 XLT 2.3L M5OD-R1 reg cab, 2011 Taurus SEL, 2016 C-MAX Energi Plug-in Hybrid
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-25-2010, 08:41 AM
sheltonfilms sheltonfilms is offline
Junkyard Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,842
Default Re: Need some info on Keyless entry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwenzing View Post
The 99 Mazda 4.0 dash harness will have the wiring for the PATS Module but your 2.5 PCM shouldn't be programmed to recognize or use it. My guess is that this is a non issue but it's something to be aware of.

The PW/PL will probably need a few relays added in addition to the RAP module. Compare the underhood Distribution Box and the relay box up under the dash to the right of the column for relay differences and possible missing pin terminals.

The cruise control clockspring usually has more conductors than the non-cruise CS so it would probably need to be changed. That requires pulling the steering wheel and the ignition lock cylinder. Always have the front wheels pointed straight head when swapping clocksprings to avoid having the CS fail down the road. If the donor vehicle was in a front end hit or the wheels are not straight ahead, the clockspring could be broken already or it could be "out of time" with the steering.

Watch for differences in ABS because both RABS (GEM controlled) and 4WABS (4WABS Module controlled) were available in 99~2000. The wiring harnesses have several differences and this affects the speedometer as well as the ABS.

There could still be some other electrical traps waiting for you in this swap but I can't think of any right now.

Already got my CC clock spring installed. So no need to worry about that.

As for the relays, I may just grab the under hood fuse box and I know there is a bunch of relays behind the dash. Pretty much I was gonna grab just about anything connected the harnesses in question.

I think the Mazda may have 4wabs. I'm about 60% sure. Well thank God I have a factory wiring manual to help me out.
__________________
Automotive Electronics Engineer
2000 XLT 2.5L A/T
Mods:
Explorer OHC
Explorer Autodim Mirrors w/ Autolamps
Explorer Sport White Face Gauges
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-28-2010, 08:28 PM
sheltonfilms sheltonfilms is offline
Junkyard Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,842
Default Re: Need some info on Keyless entry

Well I pulled the dash harness. Looks like this is gonna be a FUN job. The Mazda (1999) has a different wiring style than my 2000 Ranger. For the connector that goes to the left door, on my ranger it is part of the dash wiring harness. For, the mazda it starts at the top of the Body wiring harness. I've also noticed that the RAPS module is in the rear of the cab for the mazda. Mine should be on the right passenger side near the inertia switch.

I was gonna do a simple switching of the harnesses, but turns out I'm gonna have to do a hybrid. No big deal. Just gonna take some time and planning. Good thing I have my factory wiring diagram book for my 2000. I'm thinking about ordering one for the 1999, but I also have access to ALLDATA so I may save some cash and do that route.

Hey rwenzing, I'm sure you may have some input on this question since you put in a non standard engine. What did you do for the engine bay harness? Make a hybrid? I just really need to change the harness part that goes around the front of the bay (for headlights, blower motor, cruise control). Is this part easy to replace or is all the wires tied together? In other words is the "accessory" wiring tied into the engine wiring?
__________________
Automotive Electronics Engineer
2000 XLT 2.5L A/T
Mods:
Explorer OHC
Explorer Autodim Mirrors w/ Autolamps
Explorer Sport White Face Gauges
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-28-2010, 08:50 PM
rwenzing rwenzing is offline
Some assembly required...
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 890
Default Re: Need some info on Keyless entry

The engine bay harness is separate and connects to the engine harness via a large square 42-pin connector on the driver side of the engine. I had to do some repinning of that connector to make the 5.0 engine harness work with the Ranger engine bay harness. There is also a smaller connector, maybe 10 pin , below the ABS hydraulic unit that connects the engine bay harness to a smaller harness on the engine.
__________________
2003 FX4 Level II, Supercharged 5.0L V8, Headers, Duals
BW4406 manual transfer case, Aussie Locker, Torsen L/S, 4.10's
Bilstein 7100 rezzies, Cadillac/Mustang rear discs, Duff traction bars
Keypad Entry, Lock LEDs, ABS switch, sway bar discos
Heated seats, Explorer EATC, Trip Computer and consoles

2003 XLT 2.3L M5OD-R1 reg cab, 2011 Taurus SEL, 2016 C-MAX Energi Plug-in Hybrid

Last edited by rwenzing; 10-28-2010 at 08:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-28-2010, 08:52 PM
sheltonfilms sheltonfilms is offline
Junkyard Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,842
Default Re: Need some info on Keyless entry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwenzing View Post
The engine bay harness is separate and connects to the engine harness via a large square 42-pin connector on the driver side of the engine. I had to do some repinning of that connector to make the 5.0 engine harness work with the Ranger engine bay harness.

There's also a pair of large bulkhead connectors near the brake vacuum booster that connect the engine bay harness to the dash harness through the firewall.
Thats kinda what I thought when I saw those three separate bulkhead connectors, that they were separate. Does the engine bay harness go through the fusebox in the engine bay?
__________________
Automotive Electronics Engineer
2000 XLT 2.5L A/T
Mods:
Explorer OHC
Explorer Autodim Mirrors w/ Autolamps
Explorer Sport White Face Gauges
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-28-2010, 08:57 PM
rwenzing rwenzing is offline
Some assembly required...
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 890
Default Re: Need some info on Keyless entry

I believe that the Distribution Box is hardwired to the engine bay harness without an intermediate connector.
__________________
2003 FX4 Level II, Supercharged 5.0L V8, Headers, Duals
BW4406 manual transfer case, Aussie Locker, Torsen L/S, 4.10's
Bilstein 7100 rezzies, Cadillac/Mustang rear discs, Duff traction bars
Keypad Entry, Lock LEDs, ABS switch, sway bar discos
Heated seats, Explorer EATC, Trip Computer and consoles

2003 XLT 2.3L M5OD-R1 reg cab, 2011 Taurus SEL, 2016 C-MAX Energi Plug-in Hybrid
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-28-2010, 09:01 PM
sheltonfilms sheltonfilms is offline
Junkyard Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,842
Default Re: Need some info on Keyless entry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwenzing View Post
I believe that the Distribution Box is hardwired to the engine bay harness without an intermediate connector.
Well shart!

Like I said this should be a fun project. But hey I like a good challenge! I don't know if this would be worthy of a write up, since its kinda specific to a 1999 guts in a 2000 (maybe it can expand a bit of years), but I'm sure I'll take some pictures along the way, maybe it will help someone else out in the future.
__________________
Automotive Electronics Engineer
2000 XLT 2.5L A/T
Mods:
Explorer OHC
Explorer Autodim Mirrors w/ Autolamps
Explorer Sport White Face Gauges
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-28-2010, 09:01 PM
sheltonfilms sheltonfilms is offline
Junkyard Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,842
Default Re: Need some info on Keyless entry

Oh BTW thanks for your info!
__________________
Automotive Electronics Engineer
2000 XLT 2.5L A/T
Mods:
Explorer OHC
Explorer Autodim Mirrors w/ Autolamps
Explorer Sport White Face Gauges
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Keyless door entry units merlin215 General Ford Ranger Discussion 10 11-04-2010 12:53 PM
keyless entry BAMA BOY Exterior Tech 2 05-16-2010 10:52 PM
93 XLT Keyless Entry? ArizonaJim Electrical Tech 1 04-18-2010 09:06 AM
Keyless entry won't work blueovalhawkeyefan Electrical Tech 1 03-01-2010 01:11 AM
keyless entry problem gntlbn64 Interior Tech 3 11-05-2009 04:53 PM