Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 08-01-2018, 11:14 PM
Zander Zander is offline
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 42
Default Rattle During Idle with Ac On

I bought a 97 ranger 2.3 2wd 5 Speed and it has a strange rattle when idling in neutral, but it's only audible with the ac compressor is on, and is louder if the headlights are on. So in other words it seems to be when there's a load on the alternator. And it goes away when I push in the clutch. I don't notice it when the truck is driving around. I got under the truck with it running hoping it was a heat shield or something simple but after using the old screwdriver stethoscope method the rattle seems to be loudest in the bellhousing of the transmission. Anyone have any ideas? I'm hoping someone has run across this before. I posted a video of the sound under the truck on YouTube, I'll link it below. Thanks in advance for any help!
__________________
1994 Ford Ranger STX 4.0 5 Speed Manual 2 Wheel Drive 68,000 miles
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-01-2018, 11:35 PM
rangergambler rangergambler is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 909
Default

Throwout bearing
__________________
2010 2.3 Stick Reg Cab XL - Maxtrac 2 inch coils - Bilstein 5100 front shocks - Bilstein yellow rear shocks
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-01-2018, 11:56 PM
Zander Zander is offline
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 42
Default Re: Rattle During Idle with Ac On

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangergambler View Post
Throwout bearing
I thought that only spins when you have the clutch pushed in? My trucks rattle goes away when I push the clutch in
__________________
1994 Ford Ranger STX 4.0 5 Speed Manual 2 Wheel Drive 68,000 miles
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-02-2018, 07:04 AM
rangergambler rangergambler is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 909
Default

Where do you think the rattle is coming from? Engine bay? Underneath by the tranny?
__________________
2010 2.3 Stick Reg Cab XL - Maxtrac 2 inch coils - Bilstein 5100 front shocks - Bilstein yellow rear shocks
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-02-2018, 07:10 AM
djfllmn djfllmn is offline
ford dealer parts guy
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 20,893
Send a message via AIM to djfllmn
Default Re: Rattle During Idle with Ac On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zander View Post
I bought a 97 ranger 2.3 2wd 5 Speed and it has a strange rattle when idling in neutral, but it's only audible with the ac compressor is on, and is louder if the headlights are on. So in other words it seems to be when there's a load on the alternator. And it goes away when I push in the clutch. I don't notice it when the truck is driving around. I got under the truck with it running hoping it was a heat shield or something simple but after using the old screwdriver stethoscope method the rattle seems to be loudest in the bellhousing of the transmission. Anyone have any ideas? I'm hoping someone has run across this before. I posted a video of the sound under the truck on YouTube, I'll link it below. Thanks in advance for any help! https://youtu.be/x4IT6fh6oho
take the belt off, start the truck and see if the rattle is still there
__________________
18 F150 Supercab XLT 2.7
1968 Thunderbird
Past: 16 F150 5.0, 14 F150 5.0, 07 F150 5.4, 03 Ranger 4.0

Master Certified Ford Parts / Warranty Admin
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-02-2018, 07:35 AM
Zander Zander is offline
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 42
Default Re: Rattle During Idle with Ac On

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfllmn View Post
take the belt off, start the truck and see if the rattle is still there
I can try that, but I can almost guarantee it won't show up with the belt off. Like I said it only shows up when there's load on the belt like the ac compressor and alternator from having the headlights on.
__________________
1994 Ford Ranger STX 4.0 5 Speed Manual 2 Wheel Drive 68,000 miles
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-02-2018, 07:40 AM
djfllmn djfllmn is offline
ford dealer parts guy
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 20,893
Send a message via AIM to djfllmn
Default Re: Rattle During Idle with Ac On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zander View Post
I can try that, but I can almost guarantee it won't show up with the belt off. Like I said it only shows up when there's load on the belt like the ac compressor and alternator from having the headlights on.
thats the point, if it doesnt show up with the belt off then there is an issue with one of the pulleys, if it still does show up there is an issue elsewhere
__________________
18 F150 Supercab XLT 2.7
1968 Thunderbird
Past: 16 F150 5.0, 14 F150 5.0, 07 F150 5.4, 03 Ranger 4.0

Master Certified Ford Parts / Warranty Admin
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-02-2018, 07:45 AM
Zander Zander is offline
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 42
Default Re: Rattle During Idle with Ac On

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfllmn View Post
thats the point, if it doesnt show up with the belt off then there is an issue with one of the pulleys, if it still does show up there is an issue elsewhere
OK I'll try that when I get a chance, I had pretty much ruled out pulleys because of how much louder the sound is back in the bellhousing area but I might as well be thorough about it. I'll let you know what I find. Thanks for the responses so far!
__________________
1994 Ford Ranger STX 4.0 5 Speed Manual 2 Wheel Drive 68,000 miles
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-20-2018, 05:48 PM
Zander Zander is offline
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 42
Default Re: Rattle During Idle with Ac On

Sorry about the delay I finally got around to taking the belt off and it still does the same thing. I listened around with a stethoscope and the rattle definitely seems to be coming from the transmission, specifically near the front of the bellhousing. Any thoughts? I also have a dry bearing kind of sound all the time. It's especially noticeable when coasting in neutral with the engine off. Doesn't matter if I push the clutch in or not it's always there unlike the rattle which only occurs when the clutch is not pushed in. Anyone have any ideas or past experience with this type of thing?
__________________
1994 Ford Ranger STX 4.0 5 Speed Manual 2 Wheel Drive 68,000 miles
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-21-2018, 06:17 PM
Zander Zander is offline
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 42
Default Re: Rattle During Idle with Ac On

So I noticed something else today. The rattle is also present when the headlights are all turned on at once. So it seems to me that it's the extra load from the accessories (ac and alternator) that's causing the rattle. And like before it goes away when the clutch is pushed in.
__________________
1994 Ford Ranger STX 4.0 5 Speed Manual 2 Wheel Drive 68,000 miles
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
94 4.0 SOHC idle misfire/heavy fuel/issue revving past idle jt_buck 4.0 SOHC / 4.0 OHV Tech 2 05-07-2018 10:38 AM
3.0 Power Loss, Rough Idle, Slight Idle Stick 93 XLT 3.0 Vulcan Tech 8 10-07-2016 12:44 PM
Bad TPS? Idle air control valve? Rough idle and hard time starting Sheribd 3.0 Vulcan Tech 4 09-26-2014 07:35 AM
Occasional Loud rattle at idle, how do i rule out starter? kiyomiyo Drivetrain Tech 5 12-12-2012 12:44 PM
Steering column pop/rattle at idle when turned to the left Birdhunter1 General Tech 2 11-02-2012 05:42 PM