Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 12-19-2017, 01:42 AM
Zander Zander is offline
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 40
Default Truck not coasting well!

Well I sold my 94 4.0 2wd about a year ago and bought a 97 2.3 2wd 5 Speed this July. It was a long 9 months without a ranger lol. So far I like the truck, but I have noticed that it doesn't coast nearly as well as my other truck did. And I mean in neutral with the clutch out. It definitely comes to a stop faster and doesn't roll on slight inclines quite as freely as my other ranger or any other car. I first suspected maybe dragging brakes or a wheel bearing but I've felt the wheels after driving on the highway and they're all cool to the touch. Do you guys have any idea what it could be? I'm really at a loss here, it's been bugging me because I'm not getting much better mileage than I did with my 4.0 and I'm sure it could be doing better. Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks!
Alex
__________________
1994 Ford Ranger STX 4.0 5 Speed Manual 2 Wheel Drive 68,000 miles
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-19-2017, 02:23 AM
Gunner Gunner is offline
Diesel Truck & Coach Tech
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 228
Send a message via ICQ to Gunner Send a message via MSN to Gunner Send a message via Skype™ to Gunner
Default Re: Truck not coasting well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zander View Post
Well I sold my 94 4.0 2wd about a year ago and bought a 97 2.3 2wd 5 Speed this July. It was a long 9 months without a ranger lol. So far I like the truck, but I have noticed that it doesn't coast nearly as well as my other truck did. And I mean in neutral with the clutch out. It definitely comes to a stop faster and doesn't roll on slight inclines quite as freely as my other ranger or any other car. I first suspected maybe dragging brakes or a wheel bearing but I've felt the wheels after driving on the highway and they're all cool to the touch. Do you guys have any idea what it could be? I'm really at a loss here, it's been bugging me because I'm not getting much better mileage than I did with my 4.0 and I'm sure it could be doing better. Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks!
Alex
Get the wheels up in the air and spin them by hand. It shouldn't feel sticky at all, just a light dragging sound from the pads at most. You can try cracking all your bleeders on the calipers and see if you get some excess pressure out, which could indicate a collapsed flex hose. You might also want to try pushing back the caliper pistons to aee if you have a seized one.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
__________________
2011 Ford Ranger Sport 4x4
4.0L SOHC
5 Speed Manual
MBRP stainless catback
"Air Box Mod" with K&N drop in
GlowShift Oil pressure & Volts in A pillar pod
T-bar crank to level
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-19-2017, 06:57 PM
Zander Zander is offline
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 40
Default Re: Truck not coasting well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
Get the wheels up in the air and spin them by hand. It shouldn't feel sticky at all, just a light dragging sound from the pads at most. You can try cracking all your bleeders on the calipers and see if you get some excess pressure out, which could indicate a collapsed flex hose. You might also want to try pushing back the caliper pistons to aee if you have a seized one.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Forgot to mention that I did jack it up and spin the wheels months ago and didn't notice anything unusual. On the brake calipers, if they were sticking wouldn't the wheels warm up after highway trips?
__________________
1994 Ford Ranger STX 4.0 5 Speed Manual 2 Wheel Drive 68,000 miles
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-19-2017, 09:54 PM
Gunner Gunner is offline
Diesel Truck & Coach Tech
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 228
Send a message via ICQ to Gunner Send a message via MSN to Gunner Send a message via Skype™ to Gunner
Default Re: Truck not coasting well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zander View Post
Forgot to mention that I did jack it up and spin the wheels months ago and didn't notice anything unusual. On the brake calipers, if they were sticking wouldn't the wheels warm up after highway trips?
Yeah you'd smell the burning as well as feel the heat. The rotors may look bluish in color if overheated. Other than that unless all the tires are nearly flat, it could just be that your new truck is lighter because of the 2.3 and has a little less inertia. Just my guess.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
__________________
2011 Ford Ranger Sport 4x4
4.0L SOHC
5 Speed Manual
MBRP stainless catback
"Air Box Mod" with K&N drop in
GlowShift Oil pressure & Volts in A pillar pod
T-bar crank to level
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-21-2017, 01:05 AM
Zander Zander is offline
Like the Forums
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 40
Smile Re: Truck not coasting well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
Yeah you'd smell the burning as well as feel the heat. The rotors may look bluish in color if overheated. Other than that unless all the tires are nearly flat, it could just be that your new truck is lighter because of the 2.3 and has a little less inertia. Just my guess.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Yeah I'm not getting any of that, the wheels are actually cool to the touch, the tires are inflated properly, yeah I thought maybe because this truck weighs a little less but it seems like a big difference to me in rolling resistance. I was thinking maybe I should check the toe? I've heard these trucks can be hard to keep aligned, something to do with the twin I beam suspension? Never had any trouble with my other ranger but it had lower miles. Just thinking out loud here. I'll check the toe later and report back here. Just got done doing the timing belt so I haven't been driving the truck for a few days. Thanks for the responses Gunner, having an extra set of brain cells trying to solve a problem never hurts.
__________________
1994 Ford Ranger STX 4.0 5 Speed Manual 2 Wheel Drive 68,000 miles
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-21-2017, 02:44 AM
Undrstm8ed Undrstm8ed is offline
Habenae Est Dominatus
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,814
Default Re: Truck not coasting well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zander View Post
Yeah I'm not getting any of that, the wheels are actually cool to the touch, the tires are inflated properly, yeah I thought maybe because this truck weighs a little less but it seems like a big difference to me in rolling resistance. I was thinking maybe I should check the toe? I've heard these trucks can be hard to keep aligned, something to do with the twin I beam suspension? Never had any trouble with my other ranger but it had lower miles. Just thinking out loud here. I'll check the toe later and report back here. Just got done doing the timing belt so I haven't been driving the truck for a few days. Thanks for the responses Gunner, having an extra set of brain cells trying to solve a problem never hurts.
When you find a shop to align it, you should find a specific shop for alignments, call before you go and ask them if they have an old guy that knows Ford TIB or TTB suspensions.. Most young guys don't know how they work well enough to put in the time to do the job right because its not as easy as the newer setups on vehicles.

Also, FYI we dont get nor SHOULD a 4 wheel alignment exist, its technically only a 2 wheel alignment. They start hee-haw'ing over how they only do 4 wheel alignments and yada yada blah blah.. walk away and go to another shop. They're trying to club you over the head...
__________________
_______________________

My Build Pg. Threads
+ 93' Ranger Overlanding Build
+ 94' Ranger Bed Overlanding Trailer Build
+ 12 North Industries ~ I Support
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-21-2017, 08:11 AM
RoberticusMaximus RoberticusMaximus is offline
<<< Husky the High Dog!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 7,088
Default Re: Truck not coasting well!

i was gonna say check the toe angle too lol!
give the tires a good look-over. see if they are wearing funny.

----------

and see if you can pull the rear drums off and see if the parking brake has been causing the shoes to drag or something as well! be prepared, you might not like what you see
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-24-2017, 08:44 PM
Gunner Gunner is offline
Diesel Truck & Coach Tech
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 228
Send a message via ICQ to Gunner Send a message via MSN to Gunner Send a message via Skype™ to Gunner
Default Re: Truck not coasting well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undrstm8ed View Post
When you find a shop to align it, you should find a specific shop for alignments, call before you go and ask them if they have an old guy that knows Ford TIB or TTB suspensions.. Most young guys don't know how they work well enough to put in the time to do the job right because its not as easy as the newer setups on vehicles.

Also, FYI we dont get nor SHOULD a 4 wheel alignment exist, its technically only a 2 wheel alignment. They start hee-haw'ing over how they only do 4 wheel alignments and yada yada blah blah.. walk away and go to another shop. They're trying to club you over the head...
How would you know if your thrust angle is out?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
__________________
2011 Ford Ranger Sport 4x4
4.0L SOHC
5 Speed Manual
MBRP stainless catback
"Air Box Mod" with K&N drop in
GlowShift Oil pressure & Volts in A pillar pod
T-bar crank to level
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Squeeking when coasting? TimRoyal General Tech 4 11-15-2014 04:48 AM
Truck shudders when pressing throttle during coasting MTcaddis Drivetrain Tech 8 12-09-2013 12:47 PM
clunk when coasting Linxboy General Tech 3 11-12-2012 11:44 AM
engine pops when coasting vviggles 4.0 SOHC / 4.0 OHV Tech 2 06-15-2012 02:33 PM
truck stutters and jumps when coasting david 4-Cylinder Tech 21 09-02-2009 01:16 PM