Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #46  
Old 01-04-2017, 01:57 PM
Scottydog Scottydog is offline
The Big Mamou
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 90
Default Re: 4x4 vs 2wd

Quote:
I dont buy that the 4x4s and 4x2s value are the same.
I get that accepting reality would put a dent in your argument but this is seriously getting ridiculous now... You can see where I live, just go look at autotrader yourself. My '09 4x4 was $9500, cheaper than many of the 2wd of the same year and trim on there currently. In fact there's a '09 2wd XL on there right now at $12k.

But who cares about facts right? The important thing is you FEEL like you're right.

Quote:
Expert opinions coming from a guy that posted this just a little over a week ago
Believe it or not, someone can have offroad experience and knowledge before they gain modification or on-road vehicle ownership experience. That tends to happen when you grow up in a rural area.

At any rate, nobody has been able to disprove any of what I've said, so taking issue with my "expertise" or qualification to give advice is just redundant trolling. Just saying "you're wrong" is the internet argument equivalent of putting your fingers in your ears and screaming "LALALALA CAN'T HEAR YOU".

In fact some of you have just been flat out wrong, like Mr "the majority of 4x4 rangers are LSD" over there. Seems to be pretty common knowledge in the Ranger community that LSD Ranger axles are unicorns and most donors come from Ford Explorers. Didn't take much google digging to turf that up. In the process I found my axle code which lo and behold, is an 8.8" open diff. WHAT WERE THE ODDS?



Peace.
__________________
2009 Sport 4x4 4 door supercab, 4.0L V6 SOHC, automatic transmission, #1 torsion bar, C code leafs, 96 axle (8.8" 3.73 ratio open diff), towing package, recovery hooks, remote start power package, two tone cloth interior, rear slider window. 31x10.5x15 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac on American Racing AR767 15x8 rims 4" backspace -12mm offset.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 01-04-2017, 02:06 PM
Ranger Danger 1998 Ranger Danger 1998 is offline
Uncle Ronnie
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 575
Default Re: 4x4 vs 2wd

I like internet fights
__________________
1999 Ford Ranger 3.0 auto 4r44e 4x4 XLT Off-road package 4.10 open extended cab pioneer head unit. 12" Crossfire sub with Alpine amp. 16x8 DC2 Rims -12 offset. Gibson dual catback exhaust. Engine swapped from 2005 Taurus with 140K
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 01-04-2017, 02:16 PM
camodown camodown is offline
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,844
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottydog View Post
I get that accepting reality would put a dent in your argument but this is seriously getting ridiculous now... You can see where I live, just go look at autotrader yourself. My '09 4x4 was $9500, cheaper than many of the 2wd of the same year and trim on there currently. In fact there's a '09 2wd XL on there right now at $12k. But who cares about facts right? The important thing is you FEEL like you're right. Believe it or not, someone can have offroad experience and knowledge before they gain modification or on-road vehicle ownership experience. That tends to happen when you grow up in a rural area. At any rate, nobody has been able to disprove any of what I've said, so taking issue with my "expertise" or qualification to give advice is just redundant trolling. Just saying "you're wrong" is the internet argument equivalent of putting your fingers in your ears and screaming "LALALALA CAN'T HEAR YOU". In fact some of you have just been flat out wrong, like Mr "the majority of 4x4 rangers are LSD" over there. Seems to be pretty common knowledge in the Ranger community that LSD Ranger axles are unicorns and most donors come from Ford Explorers. Didn't take much google digging to turf that up. In the process I found my axle code which lo and behold, is an 8.8" open diff. WHAT WERE THE ODDS? Peace.
And again no real world experience on anything you say. Just spouting the same nonsense over and over that you got from google, but from the information you give you cant even google right. Must be using Ask Jeeves or something.

Driving your dads old Land Rover randomly in the country doesn't count for much for experience.

LOL at a ranger with lsd being a unicorn. Damn you really have no clue. Just sound like a young kid that thinks he knows it all. I've probably owned and been modifying rangers for as long as you have been alive from the sounds of it.
__________________
Lifted and junk

Double Lifted Rangers
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 01-04-2017, 02:35 PM
Ordinary Biker Ordinary Biker is offline
Just call me'Two Rangers'
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,027
Default Re: 4x4 vs 2wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottydog View Post
I get that accepting reality would put a dent in your argument but this is seriously getting ridiculous now... You can see where I live, just go look at autotrader yourself. My '09 4x4 was $9500, cheaper than many of the 2wd of the same year and trim on there currently. In fact there's a '09 2wd XL on there right now at $12k.
Asking price is rarely the same as selling price. I have never paid the full asking price on anything I have every purchased.

Oh and by the way, thanks! I own a unicorn! Yay!

Also, can you post a picture of your door tag for us?
__________________
'98, 2wd, 2.5l, 5spd, regular cab step side
'07, 4X4, 4.0l, 5spd, super cab fleet side
'66 Ford Mustang 289, Auto
'81 Yamaha XS850 custom bobber
'91 Suzuki Marauder

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin
The best government is a benevolent tyranny tempered by an occasional assassination. - Voltaire

Last edited by Ordinary Biker; 01-04-2017 at 02:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 01-04-2017, 02:58 PM
guell guell is offline
Chat ********* Overlord
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,620
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottydog View Post

I get that accepting reality would put a dent in your argument but this is seriously getting ridiculous now... You can see where I live, just go look at autotrader yourself. My '09 4x4 was $9500, cheaper than many of the 2wd of the same year and trim on there currently. In fact there's a '09 2wd XL on there right now at $12k.

But who cares about facts right? The important thing is you FEEL like you're right.

Believe it or not, someone can have offroad experience and knowledge before they gain modification or on-road vehicle ownership experience. That tends to happen when you grow up in a rural area.

At any rate, nobody has been able to disprove any of what I've said, so taking issue with my "expertise" or qualification to give advice is just redundant trolling. Just saying "you're wrong" is the internet argument equivalent of putting your fingers in your ears and screaming "LALALALA CAN'T HEAR YOU".

In fact some of you have just been flat out wrong, like Mr "the majority of 4x4 rangers are LSD" over there. Seems to be pretty common knowledge in the Ranger community that LSD Ranger axles are unicorns and most donors come from Ford Explorers. Didn't take much google digging to turf that up. In the process I found my axle code which lo and behold, is an 8.8" open diff. WHAT WERE THE ODDS?

Peace.
Just because you bought an open diff ranger =\= majority of rangers being open diff. Most of the swaps you read about on here are from 2wd owners too.

Your off-road knowledge that you gain before being g able to legally drive is probably very little.

Most people would prefer a driving wheel on each axle compared to a 2wd. Not sure why you think you did a mic drop, your post most certainly wasn't
__________________
2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 DC 4x4
Ranger free since 4/14/14
1972 bmw 2002tii
1974 Kawasaki mc1m 90
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 01-04-2017, 02:59 PM
camodown camodown is offline
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,844
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordinary Biker View Post
Oh and by the way, thanks! I own a unicorn! Yay!
So do I, how is that possible?

Guess he doesn't get that people swap to explorer axles for the added strength.
__________________
Lifted and junk

Double Lifted Rangers
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 01-04-2017, 03:00 PM
guell guell is offline
Chat ********* Overlord
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,620
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by camodown View Post

So do I, how is that possible?

Guess he doesn't get that people swap to explorer axles for the added strength.
I had a unicorn. Now I have electric unicorns
__________________
2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 DC 4x4
Ranger free since 4/14/14
1972 bmw 2002tii
1974 Kawasaki mc1m 90
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 01-04-2017, 03:05 PM
Ordinary Biker Ordinary Biker is offline
Just call me'Two Rangers'
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,027
Default Re: 4x4 vs 2wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by camodown View Post
So do I, how is that possible?
Not possible. MINE CAN BE THE ONLY ONE! You must post a picture of your door tag post haste to verify your silly claim!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by guell View Post
I had a unicorn. Now I have electric unicorns
I have electric sheep. Well, in my dreams I do anyway.
__________________
'98, 2wd, 2.5l, 5spd, regular cab step side
'07, 4X4, 4.0l, 5spd, super cab fleet side
'66 Ford Mustang 289, Auto
'81 Yamaha XS850 custom bobber
'91 Suzuki Marauder

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin
The best government is a benevolent tyranny tempered by an occasional assassination. - Voltaire
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 01-04-2017, 03:11 PM
whiskeymike whiskeymike is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 431
Default Re: 4x4 vs 2wd

The junkyards around here are full of lsd unicorns

The only time I see 2wd/locker having an advantage over 4wd/open is if your flexing alot and have diagonal wheels with no traction, but at that point, the 2wd/locker isn't going to get it out either. Serious Longshot, and even then it's easily avoidable if you know what you're doing.

Alot easier to add a locker to a 4wd/open than add 4wd to a 2wd/locker

4wd locker> 4wd open > 2wd locker> 2wd open >lawnmower

Go to pirate 4x4 with all your experience
__________________
97 xlt stepside
2.3 m5od
210,000
6/6 drop
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 01-04-2017, 03:41 PM
ford4thot ford4thot is offline
2019 SSVT Ford 'Maro
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 14,258
Default Re: 4x4 vs 2wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Danger 1998 View Post
I like internet fights
That's the only reason I'm on the internet
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 01-04-2017, 04:51 PM
guell guell is offline
Chat ********* Overlord
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,620
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford4thot View Post
That's the only reason I'm on the internet
Is the maro locked? Probably would out wheel most 4wd trucks here
__________________
2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 DC 4x4
Ranger free since 4/14/14
1972 bmw 2002tii
1974 Kawasaki mc1m 90
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 01-04-2017, 05:22 PM
Ordinary Biker Ordinary Biker is offline
Just call me'Two Rangers'
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,027
Default Re: 4x4 vs 2wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by guell View Post
Is the maro locked? Probably would out wheel most 4wd trucks here
Specially with those summer tires on it, I wish I had that coming home from work in 8 degree weather with snow on the road. What was I thinking buying a 4wd?
__________________
'98, 2wd, 2.5l, 5spd, regular cab step side
'07, 4X4, 4.0l, 5spd, super cab fleet side
'66 Ford Mustang 289, Auto
'81 Yamaha XS850 custom bobber
'91 Suzuki Marauder

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin
The best government is a benevolent tyranny tempered by an occasional assassination. - Voltaire
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 01-04-2017, 05:39 PM
ford4thot ford4thot is offline
2019 SSVT Ford 'Maro
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 14,258
Default Re: 4x4 vs 2wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by guell View Post
Is the maro locked? Probably would out wheel most 4wd trucks here
YUP. PLUS I GOT THE FACTORY 7.94 GEARS so I GOOD TO GO

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordinary Biker View Post
Specially with those summer tires on it, I wish I had that coming home from work in 8 degree weather with snow on the road. What was I thinking buying a 4wd?
Haha that's what I'm waking up to tomorrow.

Stealing the Willy's
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 01-04-2017, 05:51 PM
Ordinary Biker Ordinary Biker is offline
Just call me'Two Rangers'
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,027
Default Re: 4x4 vs 2wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford4thot View Post
Haha that's what I'm waking up to tomorrow.

Stealing the Willy's
Well, according to the new expert, the Jeep IS good to go eh?
__________________
'98, 2wd, 2.5l, 5spd, regular cab step side
'07, 4X4, 4.0l, 5spd, super cab fleet side
'66 Ford Mustang 289, Auto
'81 Yamaha XS850 custom bobber
'91 Suzuki Marauder

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin
The best government is a benevolent tyranny tempered by an occasional assassination. - Voltaire
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 01-04-2017, 06:00 PM
smokinAMD smokinAMD is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 996
Default Re: 4x4 vs 2wd

I've NEVER seen a 4x4 ranger without a limited slip....

I've seen me a few rangers too....
__________________
2013 Ford Focus SE hatch (Titanium without NAV and with manual tranny) - My daily driver
2015 Ford Escape SE AWD 2.0 ecoboost- Wife's
2001 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 4.0 Supercab Off-Road Stepside - Project / hauler / off-road toy / bug out vehicle - 3 inch body lift, 2006 tails, Bilstein 4600's, Morimoto bi-xenon retrofit, mustang domelight, LED's everywhere, 285/75/16 Revo's, UWS toolbox, proper hitch, proper spray in bedliner, tinted windows, lots of elbow grease
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
98 4x4 conversion to 2wd derekq34 Suspension Tech 4 04-01-2015 03:47 AM
2wd to 4x4 01 ranger bigdogmrich Midwestern Region 0 07-23-2013 12:46 AM
4x4 problem 4x4 low is s even after the knob is turn to 2wd Pappy1990 Drivetrain Tech 5 02-03-2012 10:55 AM
4x4 vs 2wd rangers jacobxstanley Off Topic 25 12-07-2010 06:00 PM
Craigslist / eBay Find: someone trading a 4x4 for a 2wd More_Cowbell Trucks 0 10-22-2010 06:43 AM