Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #16  
Old 03-18-2013, 04:15 PM
86indy 86indy is offline
"Pick up Man" Joe diffy
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,970
Default

Might have to get a northern IL meet going this summer..
__________________
2001 Ford Ranger Edge, 4.0L V6, 4x4, automatic, Extended cab, 165,000 miles, 8.8 rear axle, Auburn L/S, 4.10 gears, body lift, 32x11.5r15 falken wild peak A/T, head light mod, black honeycomb grille. 06+ corners, fx4 seats, led back up light

MODS TO COME: pillar gauges, recover seats, stereo and that it for now ................
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-18-2013, 04:28 PM
cvar cvar is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,319
Default Re: paint chasis?

See http://imgur.com/a/CKVUo

I painted mine last summer. It took many weekends to strip all rust from everywhere, not just the frame, using 3 of those wire-wheels. Tapping with a cold chisel got rid of rusty scale. An air-driven needle-scaler didn't work for me. I didn't remove the cab, so many spots were rather tricky to reach, like above crossmembers and front axles. A sprayer wouldn't help much, up there.

Meticulously painting the frame plus the whole undercarriage, cab, suspension, bed, fenders, bumpers, spare-tire rack, etc. took about 6 hrs per coat. And lots of paint brushes. I painted 4 coats, in total (ie, 2 primer, 2 topcoat). Not a lick of visible rust remains, anywhere, now.

MasterSeries silver primer paint is nice, sticks well, easy to apply, and is salt resistant. OTOH, their black (2-part epoxy) topcoat paint didn't stick to the primer very well.
__________________
1997 4x4 Mazda B4000 SE, Ext.Cab
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-18-2013, 04:49 PM
ozkar1515 ozkar1515 is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 416
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86indy View Post
Might have to get a northern IL meet going this summer..
I always wanted to find one but I can't seem to find ranger enthusiasts haha.

----------

But then I found this forum lol

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvar View Post
See http://imgur.com/a/CKVUo

I painted mine last summer. It took many weekends to strip all rust from everywhere, not just the frame, using 3 of those wire-wheels. Tapping with a cold chisel got rid of rusty scale. An air-driven needle-scaler didn't work for me. I didn't remove the cab, so many spots were rather tricky to reach, like above crossmembers and front axles. A sprayer wouldn't help much, up there.

Meticulously painting the frame plus the whole undercarriage, cab, suspension, bed, fenders, bumpers, spare-tire rack, etc. took about 6 hrs per coat. And lots of paint brushes. I painted 4 coats, in total (ie, 2 primer, 2 topcoat). Not a lick of visible rust remains, anywhere, now.

MasterSeries silver primer paint is nice, sticks well, easy to apply, and is salt resistant. OTOH, their black (2-part epoxy) topcoat paint didn't stick to the primer very well.
Dud that looks super clean I hope I do this soon.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-18-2013, 05:50 PM
ozkar1515 ozkar1515 is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 416
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslb81 View Post
just how it looks now and not very good pics either it was dark
Do you think it will be hard to take of the cab?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-18-2013, 06:31 PM
cslb81 cslb81 is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 516
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozkar1515 View Post

Do you think it will be hard to take of the cab?
to take it off? just take the body bolts off and lift it about a foot off the frame that should give you enough space to paint without having to remove much but with the amount of rust on those bolts i wouldnt be surprised if one breaks so if you do end up taking it off be prepared to replace them it shouldnt be too difficult it would be like doing a body lift pretty much
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-18-2013, 06:36 PM
ozkar1515 ozkar1515 is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 416
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslb81 View Post

to take it off? just take the body bolts off and lift it about a foot off the frame that should give you enough space to paint without having to remove much but with the amount of rust on those bolts i wouldnt be surprised if one breaks so if you do end up taking it off be prepared to replace them it shouldnt be too difficult it would be like doing a body lift pretty much
I've never done a body lift lol. And do I need to disconect anything ? How many bolts are there?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-29-2013, 07:49 PM
ozkar1515 ozkar1515 is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 416
Default

ForumRunner_20130329_214835.jpg



ForumRunner_20130329_214843.jpg



ForumRunner_20130329_214852.jpg



ForumRunner_20130329_214904.jpg

You guys still think its salvageable? ??
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-29-2013, 07:54 PM
ford4thot ford4thot is offline
2019 SSVT Ford 'Maro
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 14,638
Default paint chasis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozkar1515 View Post
Attachment 42422



Attachment 42423



Attachment 42424



Attachment 42425

You guys still think its salvageable? ??
Heck ya! That's not that bad
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-07-2013, 05:17 PM
motts27 motts27 is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 417
Default

Is there any alternative to por-15? Just wondering if there's anything cheaper that works decent, I am doing this right when the snow is gone.
__________________
1999 Ford Ranger reg cab 4x4 add-a-leaf 32'' hankook dynapro or 265/75/15 winterforce for winter 3.0 FFV 5 speed, throttle cable mod, torsion bar cranked, tint.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-07-2013, 09:28 PM
cvar cvar is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,319
Default Re: paint chasis?

Yeah, this silver primer (MCU, in the yellow can) is good stuff: http://MasterSeriesCoatings.com

OTOH, I didn't like their black epoxy topcoat (AG-111), but you can use any topcoat you like with MCU.
__________________
1997 4x4 Mazda B4000 SE, Ext.Cab

Last edited by cvar; 04-09-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-07-2013, 09:52 PM
Bendjak05 Bendjak05 is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 351
Default

Theres stuff called rust shield, its like an alternative por 15.
But heres my frame i did last week


image-320027447.jpg



image-2179964110.jpg



image-707732800.jpg



image-3182501927.jpg
__________________
2000 xlt 3.0l v6 4x4 ext cab
Bedbox , backrack, Dual functional cb antennas
2 in lift
Yokahoma geo-lander A/Ts 31"
Flowmaster super 44 side dumped
Rancho 5100's
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-07-2013, 10:43 PM
ford4thot ford4thot is offline
2019 SSVT Ford 'Maro
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 14,638
Default paint chasis?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I love how your license plate says FRF lol
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-08-2013, 09:14 AM
Bendjak05 Bendjak05 is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 351
Default

Yeah isnt that funny, lol what are the chances
__________________
2000 xlt 3.0l v6 4x4 ext cab
Bedbox , backrack, Dual functional cb antennas
2 in lift
Yokahoma geo-lander A/Ts 31"
Flowmaster super 44 side dumped
Rancho 5100's
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-09-2013, 10:47 AM
ozkar1515 ozkar1515 is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 416
Default Re: paint chasis?

Haha well I bought the por15 but its going to rain all week so I have to wair
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-09-2013, 10:54 AM
86indy 86indy is offline
"Pick up Man" Joe diffy
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,970
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozkar1515 View Post
Haha well I bought the por15 but its going to rain all week so I have to wair
Im interested in this topic now..how much did the por15 run you? If you dont mind me asking
__________________
2001 Ford Ranger Edge, 4.0L V6, 4x4, automatic, Extended cab, 165,000 miles, 8.8 rear axle, Auburn L/S, 4.10 gears, body lift, 32x11.5r15 falken wild peak A/T, head light mod, black honeycomb grille. 06+ corners, fx4 seats, led back up light

MODS TO COME: pillar gauges, recover seats, stereo and that it for now ................
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Paint to Use to Paint My Grille/Shell? thatkidmonty Exterior Tech 3 10-25-2012 07:17 AM
Paint chipping on a 8 month old paint job Fordfan444 Exterior Tech 45 01-15-2012 11:27 AM
Spray paint, that will match my paint? 90fordranger Exterior Tech 7 09-13-2011 11:51 AM
newer year body on 91 ranger chasis? nuts and bolts General Tech 11 03-21-2011 06:46 PM
whats the best rattle can paint to paint a body tadpole33 Exterior Tech 8 01-28-2011 07:25 AM