Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > Ford Ranger Semi-Technical > Exterior Tech
Forgot Password? Join Us!


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 11-29-2009, 06:44 PM
Ford Truck Driver
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 85
Default Fog Lights / High Beams

Is there anyway to wire up the fog lights so that they are on both when the low and high beams are on??
__________________
2005 Ranger XLT FX4

K&N Cold air Intake
Gibson Exhaust
Jet Chips Programmer
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-29-2009, 06:48 PM
STL STL is offline
...............
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 22,179
Default

yes the 01-03 is simple by bending a tab on the relay. If no one post time I get home I can show you what you need to do on your 05
__________________
2005 Edge

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-29-2009, 06:52 PM
Ford Truck Driver
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 85
Default

thanks man i just figured why not have them all on all the time
__________________
2005 Ranger XLT FX4

K&N Cold air Intake
Gibson Exhaust
Jet Chips Programmer
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-29-2009, 07:34 PM
GO SHARKS
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,523
Default

can this be done with the 09's?
__________________
Jay's
09 XL reg cab
L4 2.3 , 40 series flowmaster , tinted windows 5% back 35% sides ,muffler removed from air box mod ,and ac on off switch mod , blinker mod, avs window vent shades
coming soon! k&n drop in/fiberglass bed cover/bed sprayed liner
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-29-2009, 07:41 PM
Ford Rangers
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 203
Default

in my truck there is two white relays, the one closest to the body of the truck is the relay for fog light, on the relay the is five pins, two that face the side to side, three that face front to back, if you have the relay sitting where the pins are face up and the two pins to you left side, you need bend the closest little pin of the three faceing front to back, then reinsert the relay to make sure it works, if you want to after you make sure it works and you dont want to go back to before the mod you can break the pin off
__________________
2002 Ranger Edge 2wd | 3.0 v6 auto 8.8 4.10 L/S | 32x11.50 Mud Kings | 28% tint | Chevy Shackles | Cranked B T-bars | Westin Bull bar w/ KC longrange| Three-tone airhorns | air box mod | k&n drop-in | foglamp mod | explorer ohc | alpine headunit | 10" mtx thunder 4500/custom box | kenwood amp| 4 wheel disk brakes | line of fire
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-29-2009, 07:59 PM
STL STL is offline
...............
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 22,179
Default

2004 and 2005 rangers you do this

Passenger side kick panel


For 04, Ford has largely replaced the GEM and CSM modules with these, called "Smart Junction Boxes" in Ford speak. We're interested in the 22 pin connector and the 29 pin connector.

in the harness coming out of the 29 pin connector, locate the brown with white wire. Isolate it out from the rest of the harness.






Cut the wire with the wire cutters far enough from the connector that you could splice it back together if you wanted to reverse this mod in the future, but far enough down from where they all bundle together that you can reach it over to the brown/white wire to splice them together.


Scotch-lock to splice the wires together. There are many methods of splicing wires together in this manner, some prefer stripping, splitting and wrapping, some prefer T-tabs, others insist on soldering all their connections. Scotch-locks are by far the easiest, and are in my opinion sufficient for this application. (If it were to become disconnected, the malfunctioning fog lights would not pose a safety risk to the vehicle or its occupants.) The pliers are to crimp down the scotch-lock. Note the remainder of the orange/light green wire where it is still connected to the Smart-Junction Box.



Use electrical tape to tie-off the remaining wire to prevent it from shorting against any exposed contacts and potentially blowing a fuse or damaging electrical components.
__________________
2005 Edge

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-29-2009, 08:00 PM
STL STL is offline
...............
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 22,179
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueranger789 View Post
in my truck there is two white relays, the one closest to the body of the truck is the relay for fog light, on the relay the is five pins, two that face the side to side, three that face front to back, if you have the relay sitting where the pins are face up and the two pins to you left side, you need bend the closest little pin of the three faceing front to back, then reinsert the relay to make sure it works, if you want to after you make sure it works and you dont want to go back to before the mod you can break the pin off
That will only work for 01-03 and possibly the older rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueovelboy View Post
can this be done with the 09's?
Yes it can be done on a 09 but it is different than the 01-03 and the 04-05
__________________
2005 Edge

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-29-2009, 09:02 PM
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,058
Default

04+ are almost all the same schematics. I believe Bob confirmed that the fog wiring is the same on all 04+.


Quote:
Originally Posted by blueovelboy View Post
can this be done with the 09's?
You have fog lights? lol.
__________________
'01 XLT disguised as a '03 Fx4 Level II.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-30-2009, 02:06 AM
They Call Me "T. Machine"
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 14,327
Default

yay fog mod!
__________________
2001 Ranger 4X4 Edge.
Order Code 377A
Terry Owned: Machine Driven.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-30-2009, 03:36 AM
STL STL is offline
...............
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 22,179
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 View Post
04+ are almost all the same schematics. I believe Bob confirmed that the fog wiring is the same on all 04+.
You have fog lights? lol.
I recall that HP freak from R/F a long time ago had to make RELAY and RELAY HARNESS for his 2007

Maybe I am wrong and he was overdoing it
__________________
2005 Edge

Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-30-2009, 06:45 AM
Some assembly required...
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 886
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 View Post
I believe Bob confirmed that the fog wiring is the same on all 04+
That statement was true in 2006 but Ford changed the foglamp circuit (and a lot of other things) in 2007.

  • 1999~2000 bent pin mod
  • 2001 another bent pin mod
  • 2002~2003 yet another bent pin mod
  • 2004~2006 needs a wire rerouted at the Smart Junction Box.
  • 2007~2010 requires an added relay and wiring at the SJB.
__________________
2003 FX4 Level II, Supercharged 5.0L V8, Headers, Duals
BW4406 manual transfer case, Aussie Locker, Torsen L/S, 4.10's
Bilstein 7100 rezzies, Cadillac/Mustang rear discs, Duff traction bars
Keypad Entry, Lock LEDs, ABS switch, sway bar discos
Heated seats, Explorer EATC, Trip Computer and consoles

Ford owners' manuals ONLINE, then click "Vehicle Basics"
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-30-2009, 03:18 PM
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,058
Default

Ah, I must've misread. Thanks for clearing that up Bob.
__________________
'01 XLT disguised as a '03 Fx4 Level II.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-07-2009, 10:17 PM
Ford Pickup
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 123
Send a message via Yahoo to Stumblefoot
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL View Post
2004 and 2005 rangers you do this

Passenger side kick panel


For 04, Ford has largely replaced the GEM and CSM modules with these, called "Smart Junction Boxes" in Ford speak. We're interested in the 22 pin connector and the 29 pin connector.

in the harness coming out of the 29 pin connector, locate the brown with white wire. Isolate it out from the rest of the harness.






Cut the wire with the wire cutters far enough from the connector that you could splice it back together if you wanted to reverse this mod in the future, but far enough down from where they all bundle together that you can reach it over to the brown/white wire to splice them together.


Scotch-lock to splice the wires together. There are many methods of splicing wires together in this manner, some prefer stripping, splitting and wrapping, some prefer T-tabs, others insist on soldering all their connections. Scotch-locks are by far the easiest, and are in my opinion sufficient for this application. (If it were to become disconnected, the malfunctioning fog lights would not pose a safety risk to the vehicle or its occupants.) The pliers are to crimp down the scotch-lock. Note the remainder of the orange/light green wire where it is still connected to the Smart-Junction Box.



Use electrical tape to tie-off the remaining wire to prevent it from shorting against any exposed contacts and potentially blowing a fuse or damaging electrical components.
Ok so I find the brown & white wire, out of the 29 wire connector, I cut it ....what do I spice it to?? Ive read & re read this and all I see mentioned is the one brown & white wire. clarification please.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-07-2009, 11:20 PM
GO SHARKS
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,523
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 View Post

You have fog lights? lol.
one of my work truck dose and seen as i drive it more in the night /fog/ mountains/rain /crap weather thought i would do this to the company truck lol
__________________
Jay's
09 XL reg cab
L4 2.3 , 40 series flowmaster , tinted windows 5% back 35% sides ,muffler removed from air box mod ,and ac on off switch mod , blinker mod, avs window vent shades
coming soon! k&n drop in/fiberglass bed cover/bed sprayed liner
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-07-2009, 11:34 PM
~+!)@(#*$&%^
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,033
Send a message via AIM to RangerJustin Send a message via Skype™ to RangerJustin
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblefoot View Post
Ok so I find the brown & white wire, out of the 29 wire connector, I cut it ....what do I spice it to?? Ive read & re read this and all I see mentioned is the one brown & white wire. clarification please.
On the 22 Pin locate the orange/green and cut that one, and scotch lock that to the brown white. just make sure to tap the right side of the cut into the scotch lock.
__________________
Sold:2004 XLT 4x2 Ext. Cab. 3.0 Mods: 3" spindle, AAL, shackle, 32x11.5 on 15x8s, billet grille, clear corners, flow 40 dumped, line-x, CB/PA, traction bars, lil sound system, auto up down windows
Sold:2005 XLT 4x4 Ext. Cab. 4.0 Mods: ProComp lights w/ HID swap on tabs, 32x11.5 on 15x8s, CB/PA, black out heads/corners, lil sound system, cranked t-bars, flow 40 dumped, line-x, shell, bed rug, 06+ tails, metal tail gate handle since plastic one shattered, OHC, Mustang Dome.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
88-up DJM Dream Beams Lowrange2 Suspension Parts 7 01-12-2012 06:52 PM
For Sale: dream beams $300 98blownranger Suspension Parts 3 11-11-2011 03:04 PM
For Sale: 93-99 Ranger LED tail lights & 01-05 halo projector fog lights j$wift Exterior Parts 5 08-04-2010 09:05 PM
Instrument Cluster/Tail Lights/Fog Lights - NO Lights when Headlamps are on??? bwheeler Electrical Tech 6 06-05-2009 06:35 AM
My ford Ranger 05 keeps making this high pitch noise when in high gear? rickymercer17 General Ford Ranger Discussion 1 12-08-2008 07:40 PM



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.