Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 03-01-2011, 04:48 PM
Raptor05121 Raptor05121 is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5
Default Legality of HIDs

Kind of late, but...

HID headlights and foglights are illegal in the United States per FMVSS section 108 of the Department of Transportation. Putting these Chinese "PnP" kits from eBay or other online retailer is illeagal and dangerous. Halogen optics are not meant for xenon optics and doing so will cause glare and scattered light to oncoming drivers. You lose beam control and can also risk a fire if using the wrong equipment. To properly run HIDs, you must install a xenon projector or xenon reflector to safely utilize the light and prevent oncoming driver distractions.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-01-2011, 05:04 PM
Tom Tom is offline
Ranger Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,829
Default Re: hid headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor05121 View Post
Kind of late, but...

HID headlights and foglights are illegal in the United States per FMVSS section 108 of the Department of Transportation. Putting these Chinese "PnP" kits from eBay or other online retailer is illeagal and dangerous. Halogen optics are not meant for xenon optics and doing so will cause glare and scattered light to oncoming drivers. You lose beam control and can also risk a fire if using the wrong equipment. To properly run HIDs, you must install a xenon projector or xenon reflector to safely utilize the light and prevent oncoming driver distractions.
The Department of Transportation focuses exclusively on the manufacturing of parts. Even if we presume your statement to be true and they are illegal to make, it would be erroneous to assume that means they are illegal to use.
__________________
2006 Ford Ranger Sport 4.0 2WD on 32x11.50R15s
-3" Doetsch Spindle Lift


Using the forum:
How to Post on the Forum
Creating a signature (do this before asking any questions)
Upload an Avatar (image of your Ranger)
How to Post Pictures on the Forum
Switch the site layout: Light Theme or Dark Theme

Things to do:
Participate in Truck of the Month
Participate in the Ranger Photo Contest
Participate in the Non-Automotive Photo Contest
Become a Site Contributor
Shop at the FordRangerForum.com Store
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-01-2011, 05:09 PM
JGiddy JGiddy is offline
-
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,682
Default Re: hid headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
The Department of Transportation focuses exclusively on the manufacturing of parts. Even if we presume your statement to be true and they are illegal to make, it would be erroneous to assume that means they are illegal to use.
they are illegal to use in halogen housings, this is a widely known well documented fact. lol
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-01-2011, 05:10 PM
Tom Tom is offline
Ranger Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,829
Default Re: hid headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts007 View Post
they are illegal to use in halogen housings, this is a widely known well documented fact. lol
Widely repeated from one random individual to the next, yes. Show me a source.
__________________
2006 Ford Ranger Sport 4.0 2WD on 32x11.50R15s
-3" Doetsch Spindle Lift


Using the forum:
How to Post on the Forum
Creating a signature (do this before asking any questions)
Upload an Avatar (image of your Ranger)
How to Post Pictures on the Forum
Switch the site layout: Light Theme or Dark Theme

Things to do:
Participate in Truck of the Month
Participate in the Ranger Photo Contest
Participate in the Non-Automotive Photo Contest
Become a Site Contributor
Shop at the FordRangerForum.com Store
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-01-2011, 05:13 PM
dryin dryin is offline
florida cracker
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 543
Default Re: hid headlights

the hids are not illegal. From 8k and up are illegal.
__________________
2007 F150 FX4
5.4 trition
train horns
fabtech bumper with 3 kc

1995 ext. cab ranger
4x4 automatic
4in pipe bumber in rear
cop push bumper on the front
roll bars
30x9.50r15 wild country a/ts
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-01-2011, 05:14 PM
JGiddy JGiddy is offline
-
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,682
Default Re: hid headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryin View Post
the hids are not illegal. From 8k and up are illegal.
afaik 8k and up just gets you more prone to getting pulled over. theyre illegal period of theyre installed in halogen lamps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Widely repeated from one random individual to the next, yes. Show me a source.
wow. you should probably just find the sources yourself...

btw, maybe youre talking about enforced. Theyre illegal in CA but around where I live it's not totally enforced. Lots of ppl run them and cops dont really do anything about it here. But thats not what we're talking about anyway

Last edited by JGiddy; 03-01-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-01-2011, 05:16 PM
Tom Tom is offline
Ranger Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,829
Default Re: hid headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts007 View Post
wow. you should probably just find the sources yourself...
I've looked, I have never found any legitimate source (EG: A penal code, etc.).
__________________
2006 Ford Ranger Sport 4.0 2WD on 32x11.50R15s
-3" Doetsch Spindle Lift


Using the forum:
How to Post on the Forum
Creating a signature (do this before asking any questions)
Upload an Avatar (image of your Ranger)
How to Post Pictures on the Forum
Switch the site layout: Light Theme or Dark Theme

Things to do:
Participate in Truck of the Month
Participate in the Ranger Photo Contest
Participate in the Non-Automotive Photo Contest
Become a Site Contributor
Shop at the FordRangerForum.com Store
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-01-2011, 05:17 PM
JGiddy JGiddy is offline
-
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,682
Default Re: hid headlights

then ask a cop lol

Last edited by JGiddy; 03-01-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-01-2011, 05:21 PM
Tom Tom is offline
Ranger Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,829
Default Re: hid headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts007 View Post
then ask a cop lol
Cops do not know the ins & outs of the entire legal system. There are tons of forum posts about users claiming to ask cops about the legality of HIDs and the cops saying they're legal. However, that doesn't really mean anything since as I said cops do not memorize everything, it would be impossible to.
__________________
2006 Ford Ranger Sport 4.0 2WD on 32x11.50R15s
-3" Doetsch Spindle Lift


Using the forum:
How to Post on the Forum
Creating a signature (do this before asking any questions)
Upload an Avatar (image of your Ranger)
How to Post Pictures on the Forum
Switch the site layout: Light Theme or Dark Theme

Things to do:
Participate in Truck of the Month
Participate in the Ranger Photo Contest
Participate in the Non-Automotive Photo Contest
Become a Site Contributor
Shop at the FordRangerForum.com Store
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-01-2011, 05:39 PM
JGiddy JGiddy is offline
-
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,682
Default Re: Legality of HIDs

there are all kinds of ppl on forums saying they got ticketed for running hid's illegally. Oh but yeah, they must all be full of shit. since a forum is not an 'official source of laws'

Last edited by JGiddy; 03-01-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-01-2011, 05:41 PM
08Ranger Sport 4x4 08Ranger Sport 4x4 is offline
"Eh, it'll buff out"
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,683
Default Re: hid headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Cops do not know the ins & outs of the entire legal system. There are tons of forum posts about users claiming to ask cops about the legality of HIDs and the cops saying they're legal. However, that doesn't really mean anything since as I said cops do not memorize everything, it would be impossible to.
Especially in CA for all their laws lol...
__________________
2008 Ford Ranger Sport 4x4 4.0L
-5 speed, undercoating, tinted windows, keyless entry, 3.73 gears
-Pioneer AVIC-F700BT GPS w/10" Pioneer woofer
-3 inch Performance Accessories Body Lift
-33x12.5 r 15 BFG M/T KM2's
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-01-2011, 05:48 PM
JGiddy JGiddy is offline
-
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,682
Default Re: Legality of HIDs

we're not talking about whether they enforce it or not, we're talking about whether its legal on paper.

i personally could care less if theyre illegal I just don't like them because of the excessive glare and wasted light and shitty cutoff.

Tys 4x4 and btm757 are 2 of the only ppl here who did HIDs right and theirs will pass legality tests

Last edited by JGiddy; 03-01-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-01-2011, 05:59 PM
mehdi1993 mehdi1993 is offline
Ford Motor Company
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 133
Default Re: Legality of HIDs

who cares about legality anyway
__________________
'01 XL extra cab, 3.0L Flex, auto, oxford white
Painted stock wheels black, front bumper and valance black, headlight mod, cherrybomb glasspack and 2 main cats deleted with a passenger side exit before the rear wheel, Pioneer head unit with 4 speakers and 2 subs, and some nice stickers

MANUAL SWAP PLANNED FOR EARLY THIS YEAR.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-01-2011, 06:02 PM
JGiddy JGiddy is offline
-
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,682
Default Re: Legality of HIDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehdi1993 View Post
who cares about legality anyway
Quote:
Originally Posted by gts007 View Post
i personally could care less if theyre illegal I just don't like them because of the excessive glare and wasted light and shitty cutoff.
.,
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-01-2011, 06:17 PM
Tom Tom is offline
Ranger Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,829
Default Re: Legality of HIDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts007 View Post
there are all kinds of ppl on forums saying they got ticketed for running hid's illegally. Oh but yeah, they must all be full of shit. since a forum is not an 'official source of laws'
Correct, however that does not mean HID kits are illegal. There are also many people out there who have been ticketed for running stock halogens illegally.

There are usually numerous "catch all" violations that your stereotypical HID user would be violating. For example, in California it's illegal to have your lights projecting in a way that causes the light beam to go into the eyes of an oncoming driver. Many HID users are violating this penal code and could be cited accordingly. However, that still does not mean HIDs are illegal.
__________________
2006 Ford Ranger Sport 4.0 2WD on 32x11.50R15s
-3" Doetsch Spindle Lift


Using the forum:
How to Post on the Forum
Creating a signature (do this before asking any questions)
Upload an Avatar (image of your Ranger)
How to Post Pictures on the Forum
Switch the site layout: Light Theme or Dark Theme

Things to do:
Participate in Truck of the Month
Participate in the Ranger Photo Contest
Participate in the Non-Automotive Photo Contest
Become a Site Contributor
Shop at the FordRangerForum.com Store
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what HIDS? 02BlueRanger Exterior Tech 27 06-13-2011 04:04 PM
HIDs in Hellas? DrIftKi7Vg Electrical Tech 1 12-10-2010 02:59 PM
Question about HIDs ClintW2003XLT General Ford Ranger Discussion 3 11-16-2010 01:37 PM
Hids beef08 Exterior Tech 24 08-31-2010 08:46 PM
HIDs 4.0Joe Electrical Tech 9 05-03-2010 04:58 PM