Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #16  
Old 03-01-2011, 06:42 PM
btm757 btm757 is offline
In Memory of Jason Finn
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 748
Default Re: Legality of HIDs

Well some cars are OE with HIDs in Reflector housings. Most cars use Projectors. As for legality. Most states outlaw them. I live in Virginia for instance. HIDs in reflector housings that did not come stock on the vehicle will fail inspection. Only ones that will pass are the HID Foglights that Sylvania made a few years back, Says so in the inspection manual. If you ask cops, All interpret them differently. The Trooper in charge of State inspections where I used to work was absolutely against them and would pull people over write the ticket then make you wait for a wrecker to come get your car. Other cops I talk to will just pull you If they have way to much glare or are any higher than 6000K or if you have yellow headlights


Quote:
Originally Posted by gts007 View Post
we're not talking about whether they enforce it or not, we're talking about whether its legal on paper.

i personally could care less if theyre illegal I just don't like them because of the excessive glare and wasted light and shitty cutoff.

Tys 4x4 is one of the only ppl here who did HIDs right and his will pass legality tests
Dont forget Mine HID Thread HERE
__________________
This is Ford Country and On a quiet Night you can Hear a Chevy Rust.
2004 XLT SUPER CAB STEPSIDE 4.0l 4x4 3"BL W/ 33/12.5 KM2s on Black Procomps and I Haz ______/--------- <Cutoff FTW
Facebook
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-01-2011, 07:24 PM
Codeman Codeman is offline
Ford Ranger Owner
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 67
Default Re: Legality of HIDs

the correct projector housing is needed to hav an HID bulb legally. many cops dont enforce this law. end of story.

the reason behind it is that the halogen bulb has a different type of light and the halogen bulb housing focuses the halogen bulb light better. wheras, with the extra power from the HID the correct housing is needed to focus the light otherwise it would b like turning on a street lamp and light everything up rather than the correct beam of light towards the road surface.
__________________
2005 Ford Ranger Edge RWD 3.0L V6
Superchip Tuner
K&N Cold Air Intake
Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler & Downpipe
Wolo LongHorns Airhorn
Alpine Head Unit, Kickers, and a Bazooka Sub
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-01-2011, 08:34 PM
FireRanger FireRanger is offline
Blinded by the light
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 7,674
Send a message via AIM to FireRanger
Default Re: Legality of HIDs

OK, I don't have time to read this whole thread and reply to everything. So I'm just going to lay out reality. The original poster is COMPELTELY WRONG. And skimming through, I see many other people repeating completely wrong information. It is a very common misconception.

FMVSS 108 regulates OEM MANUFACTURERS (ie Ford, Chevy), and actual repair shops. FMVSS 108 are the standards by which they are required to build their products and sell their products and services.

FMVSS 108, nor any other federal standard applies to the end user (you, me, bob next door, etc). They do not apply, flat out, end of story. We as end users are regulated by individual state laws. These laws differ from state to state. Most are very poorly written. And most were written back in the days when sealed beams were the only things that existed. State motor vehicle laws are the only laws the police can cite you for. There is no mechanism by which a police officer can cite you for violating FMVSS 108. For one thing, it doesn't apply. And secondly, they have no jurisdiction over it anyway even if it did apply.

Most state laws are rather lenient and HID's do fall within the law. Most state only where your headlights must be and what color they must be. If you are one of these states, then you can put in HID's, LED's, or a damn array of candles. As long as the light is white, you are fine.

A small handfull of states are very specific and very strict. They either specify that such modifications are illegal, or their law is an adopted copy of FMVSS 108. Again, this is a very small handful of states. Oregon comes to mind as recent example on the forum. California on the other hand is a "just make them white" state.

So there you have it. That is the reality of it. Anything anyone else said in this thread that is contrary to this is incorrect. And I can assure you that the attorneys that work for the DOT and manage FMVSS 108 will agree with me 100%, in writting. I'm not trying to be an ass to the people who were wrong. Like I said, its a common misconception and commonly spread around BS.

As for people who got tickets with their HID's. There are number of reasons:
1) Its one of the few states where they do happen to be illegal.
2) They were poorly aimed, blinding oncoming traffic, which is illegal. Irrelevent that they were HID.
3) They were an illegal color (blue, purple, green, etc). Irrelevent that they were HID.
4) The police don't know the law regarding this, which believe it or not, happens a lot. Taking it to court with the law would end with you winning.

And BTW, before someone whines about how I could possibly know this, I have indeed read the laws, cover to cover. And I've read the DOT's attorney's written statements on these very matters. And I've read numerous other state's Motor Vehicle Code sections. So I'm not making this shit up. When it comes to the law, most people that know me on the forums know I know my shit.

Oh, and one last thing. The original poster that started this thread is cleared a disgruntled member with a duplicate account intentionally trying to post incorrect or defaming information (look at the post history). That should be another clue that I might know a little more than he does.
__________________
(Formerly)
FireRanger
2003 Edge 4.0 4wd

How to: Aux light wiring, relays, & fuses
Info: 300+ intake threads here on FRF
Info: HID Projectors
How To: NO HEAT Troubleshooting Guide

Last edited by FireRanger; 03-01-2011 at 08:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-01-2011, 09:07 PM
DisturbedESV DisturbedESV is offline
Original Grab-Her
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,430
Send a message via AIM to DisturbedESV
Default Re: Legality of HIDs

I for one think HIDs have a bad rep because too many people installed them wrong... unnecessarily high wattage and/or poor aiming makes them more dangerous... I've had mine for a year now and have only had someone flash their lights once or twice and only on dark back roads. I've driven in front of lifted rangers with properly aimed beams and had zero issues with the lights in my mirror. Just like anything else I think they get a bad name. I love my HIDs.... I can see WAY better with them than I did with my stock headlights even with the high beams on.

In addition if you're pulled over by a cop they would have to do some serious investigating to determine if you swapped into proper housings when you did an HID kit conversion... even though the light is supposed to reflect differently I don't see that being a judgment they'd be able to make just by watching you drive down the road.
__________________
2008 XLT 4x4 - GRABBER ORANGE - 4.0 V6 - 5 spd
PNW CREW
Quote:
Originally Posted by camodown View Post
that's it, marie is pissed. game over
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-01-2011, 09:51 PM
JGiddy JGiddy is offline
-
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,682
Default Re: Legality of HIDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRanger View Post
OK, I don't have time to read this whole thread and reply to everything. So I'm just going to lay out reality. The original poster is COMPELTELY WRONG. And skimming through, I see many other people repeating completely wrong information. It is a very common misconception.

FMVSS 108 regulates OEM MANUFACTURERS (ie Ford, Chevy), and actual repair shops. FMVSS 108 are the standards by which they are required to build their products and sell their products and services.

FMVSS 108, nor any other federal standard applies to the end user (you, me, bob next door, etc). They do not apply, flat out, end of story. We as end users are regulated by individual state laws. These laws differ from state to state. Most are very poorly written. And most were written back in the days when sealed beams were the only things that existed. State motor vehicle laws are the only laws the police can cite you for. There is no mechanism by which a police officer can cite you for violating FMVSS 108. For one thing, it doesn't apply. And secondly, they have no jurisdiction over it anyway even if it did apply.

Most state laws are rather lenient and HID's do fall within the law. Most state only where your headlights must be and what color they must be. If you are one of these states, then you can put in HID's, LED's, or a damn array of candles. As long as the light is white, you are fine.

A small handfull of states are very specific and very strict. They either specify that such modifications are illegal, or their law is an adopted copy of FMVSS 108. Again, this is a very small handful of states. Oregon comes to mind as recent example on the forum. California on the other hand is a "just make them white" state.

So there you have it. That is the reality of it. Anything anyone else said in this thread that is contrary to this is incorrect. And I can assure you that the attorneys that work for the DOT and manage FMVSS 108 will agree with me 100%, in writting. I'm not trying to be an ass to the people who were wrong. Like I said, its a common misconception and commonly spread around BS.

As for people who got tickets with their HID's. There are number of reasons:
1) Its one of the few states where they do happen to be illegal.
2) They were poorly aimed, blinding oncoming traffic, which is illegal. Irrelevent that they were HID.
3) They were an illegal color (blue, purple, green, etc). Irrelevent that they were HID.
4) The police don't know the law regarding this, which believe it or not, happens a lot. Taking it to court with the law would end with you winning.

And BTW, before someone whines about how I could possibly know this, I have indeed read the laws, cover to cover. And I've read the DOT's attorney's written statements on these very matters. And I've read numerous other state's Motor Vehicle Code sections. So I'm not making this shit up. When it comes to the law, most people that know me on the forums know I know my shit.

Oh, and one last thing. The original poster that started this thread is cleared a disgruntled member with a duplicate account intentionally trying to post incorrect or defaming information (look at the post history). That should be another clue that I might know a little more than he does.
this is what I always figured and i was wrong to say theyre illegal period. it was an assumption i made based on alot of internet literature out there. theres no consistency with many laws from state to state. i just dont want hids in my OEM lenses because i hate how unfocused the wasted light energy makes the beam. i shouldnt have to aim way down just to avoid blinding people, that defeats the purpose of headlights and i don't want the unilluminated part of the road to have that much contrast to my eyes because the road right in front of me is ridiculously bright. HID output blows halogen output away no question even in halogen lenses, but putting them in lenses they weren't designed for is not going to help you see better at night, especially not at night when its snowing or raining or foggy. To see better you need to do this

Last edited by JGiddy; 03-01-2011 at 10:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-01-2011, 10:17 PM
Raptor05121 Raptor05121 is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5
Default Re: Legality of HIDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRanger View Post

Oh, and one last thing. The original poster that started this thread is cleared a disgruntled member with a duplicate account intentionally trying to post incorrect or defaming information (look at the post history). That should be another clue that I might know a little more than he does.
I do not have a duplicate account. This board is being laughed at on another automotive lighting forum. I was one of the few to sign up and post. Secondly, I don't recall making this thread. Admin must've pulled it from another post.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-01-2011, 11:00 PM
TerrenceStuart TerrenceStuart is offline
No More Rangers - Ever!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 14,848
Default Re: Legality of HIDs

talked to a MN state trooper about HIDs and their legality. he said " the Only HID's that are legal are the Factory OEM ones. any aftermarket ones are not legal.
But, he said unless they are extremely blinding, he won't pull someone over just for having HID's.
__________________
2007 EXPLORER 4.0 4X4
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-01-2011, 11:36 PM
darangerdanger darangerdanger is offline
GOT r' done :D
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 430
Default Re: Legality of HIDs

The ONLY time I'ver been pulled over was for running both my heads and fogs. oregon has the FMVSS 108 or whatever implemented but he said nothing about the hid's. and i'm running 55 watt 12ks and 3k fogs.
__________________
Sold-03 2wd edge. McQueen glass and 35's
New!- 1990 2.3 reg cab- 5/7 drop, cobra brakes, Hurst short shifter, sir Michael's rollpan
Daily-2003 5.4 supercrew 6" fabtech on 35's and too many mods
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-01-2011, 11:39 PM
Tom Tom is offline
Ranger Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,826
Default Re: Legality of HIDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor05121 View Post
I do not have a duplicate account. This board is being laughed at on another automotive lighting forum. I was one of the few to sign up and post. Secondly, I don't recall making this thread. Admin must've pulled it from another post.
You were bringing up threads that were 6+ months old to post repetitive "HIDs are illegal" rants. I felt it was better to create a central thread to discuss the legality of HIDs as to not hijack threads where a user is asking other HID questions. Plus this way we can have one discussion in one thread as opposed to repeating the topic in numerous threads.

So yes, I took one of your posts and made it into this new thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by machine090767 View Post
talked to a MN state trooper about HIDs and their legality. he said " the Only HID's that are legal are the Factory OEM ones. any aftermarket ones are not legal.
But, he said unless they are extremely blinding, he won't pull someone over just for having HID's.
This debate was already discussed. What one random cop says doesn't mean it's an accurate representation of the law. You should have followed up the question by asking the state trooper "What statue would you cite someone for if they had aftermarket HIDs?"

I by no means claim to be an expert, but all of these statues are publicly available online, someone should be able to find something in their local legal jurisdiction that shows HIDs to be illegal.
__________________
2006 Ford Ranger Sport 4.0 2WD on 32x11.50R15s
-3" Doetsch Spindle Lift


Using the forum:
How to Post on the Forum
Creating a signature (do this before asking any questions)
Upload an Avatar (image of your Ranger)
How to Post Pictures on the Forum
Switch the site layout: Light Theme or Dark Theme

Things to do:
Participate in Truck of the Month
Participate in the Ranger Photo Contest
Participate in the Non-Automotive Photo Contest
Become a Site Contributor
Shop at the FordRangerForum.com Store
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-02-2011, 05:12 AM
FireRanger FireRanger is offline
Blinded by the light
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 7,674
Send a message via AIM to FireRanger
Default Re: Legality of HIDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts007 View Post
this is what I always figured and i was wrong to say theyre illegal period. it was an assumption i made based on alot of internet literature out there. theres no consistency with many laws from state to state
You're absolutely right. What's perfectly ok in one state could be a capital felony in the next state over. It's really stupid. And its not just motor vehicle law. Everything is like that. And confusion like this is what results.

I don't disagree with your opinion on the effectiveness of converting to projectors. But I do think that for $50, the replacement bulbs in our stock lights, installed correctly, and aimed correctly, are a huge bang for your buck that doesn't cause adverse effects. It is however very easy to do it wrong and blind people.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor05121 View Post
I do not have a duplicate account. This board is being laughed at on another automotive lighting forum. I was one of the few to sign up and post. Secondly, I don't recall making this thread. Admin must've pulled it from another post.
Ok. So if its not a duplicate account, that just means there are two people as stupid as you. Congratulations, you aren't alone in life after all. The only thing being laughed at is YOU. You joined this forum on your legality crusade that is completely 100% false. So why don't you run along back to whatever forum of fellow *******es you came from. You're village is looking for you, they miss you.
__________________
(Formerly)
FireRanger
2003 Edge 4.0 4wd

How to: Aux light wiring, relays, & fuses
Info: 300+ intake threads here on FRF
Info: HID Projectors
How To: NO HEAT Troubleshooting Guide
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what HIDS? 02BlueRanger Exterior Tech 27 06-13-2011 05:04 PM
HIDs in Hellas? DrIftKi7Vg Electrical Tech 1 12-10-2010 02:59 PM
Question about HIDs ClintW2003XLT General Ford Ranger Discussion 3 11-16-2010 01:37 PM
Hids beef08 Exterior Tech 24 08-31-2010 09:46 PM
HIDs 4.0Joe Electrical Tech 9 05-03-2010 05:58 PM