Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #16  
Old 05-12-2014, 03:03 PM
mfernandes mfernandes is offline
Real trucks are American
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,091
Send a message via MSN to mfernandes
Default Re: Tailgate won't stay closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryduanemiller View Post
the striker plates (square things) are adjustable. I have been in the habit of closing mine gently then giving a good shove till they click, clicks are distinctive n loud , you know when it latches
I know this thread is old, but... how do you adjust those "square things"?? I have problems closing my tailgate, and Im sure those are the problem!!!
__________________
Paysand˙, Uruguay
1996 Reg. Cab Ford Ranger, V6 3.0L, 5 speed manual trans.

THAT AWESOME MOMENT WHEN YOU REALIZE YOU CAN TAKE ALL THE PEOPLE THAT BOUGHT A JUSTIN BIEBER ALBUM, MULTIPLY IT BY 6 AND STILL DON`T GET TO REACH THE SELLINGS OF PINK FLOYD`S "DARK SIDE OF THE MOON"
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-12-2014, 05:10 PM
RagerTom RagerTom is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,176
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfernandes View Post
I know this thread is old, but... how do you adjust those "square things"?? I have problems closing my tailgate, and Im sure those are the problem!!!
On the side that won't close does the latch on the tailgate side go up by itself? My Sierra has this problem. I have to push the latch up and then close it. Have no issues opening it though.
__________________
Not a F150 sellout? Click HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmcclure View Post
adamantium tamponicus!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-12-2014, 05:22 PM
mfernandes mfernandes is offline
Real trucks are American
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,091
Send a message via MSN to mfernandes
Default Re: Tailgate won't stay closed

Yes, the mechanism seems to work fine.
The only thing I noticed is that -with the tailgate opened- the triger goes back a couple of milimeters, but it goes in and out with no effort at all.

Those milimiters are the ones needed for the triger to fully engage the latch when the t.g. is closed.

Between the t.g. and bed gap, i can see that the triger does not completely slides in the latch
__________________
Paysand˙, Uruguay
1996 Reg. Cab Ford Ranger, V6 3.0L, 5 speed manual trans.

THAT AWESOME MOMENT WHEN YOU REALIZE YOU CAN TAKE ALL THE PEOPLE THAT BOUGHT A JUSTIN BIEBER ALBUM, MULTIPLY IT BY 6 AND STILL DON`T GET TO REACH THE SELLINGS OF PINK FLOYD`S "DARK SIDE OF THE MOON"
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-12-2014, 05:25 PM
RagerTom RagerTom is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,176
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfernandes View Post
Yes, the mechanism seems to work fine. The only thing I noticed is that -with the tailgate opened- the triger goes back a couple of milimeters, but it goes in and out with no effort at all. Those milimiters are the ones needed for the triger to fully engage the latch when the t.g. is closed. Between the t.g. and bed gap, i can see that the triger does not completely slides in the latch
Have you tried any lubricant on it?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfernandes View Post
Yes, the mechanism seems to work fine. The only thing I noticed is that -with the tailgate opened- the triger goes back a couple of milimeters, but it goes in and out with no effort at all. Those milimiters are the ones needed for the triger to fully engage the latch when the t.g. is closed. Between the t.g. and bed gap, i can see that the triger does not completely slides in the latch
I wonder if you take inner panel off it there is a cable or rod inside that needs more or less tension on it to latch completely.
__________________
Not a F150 sellout? Click HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmcclure View Post
adamantium tamponicus!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-12-2014, 06:19 PM
mfernandes mfernandes is offline
Real trucks are American
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,091
Send a message via MSN to mfernandes
Default Re: Tailgate won't stay closed

I lubricated everything with white grease, but I like your idea of the rod!

How do you adjust the tension on this rod?
__________________
Paysand˙, Uruguay
1996 Reg. Cab Ford Ranger, V6 3.0L, 5 speed manual trans.

THAT AWESOME MOMENT WHEN YOU REALIZE YOU CAN TAKE ALL THE PEOPLE THAT BOUGHT A JUSTIN BIEBER ALBUM, MULTIPLY IT BY 6 AND STILL DON`T GET TO REACH THE SELLINGS OF PINK FLOYD`S "DARK SIDE OF THE MOON"
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-13-2014, 08:15 AM
RagerTom RagerTom is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,176
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfernandes View Post
I lubricated everything with white grease, but I like your idea of the rod! How do you adjust the tension on this rod?
I personally have never had this problem. But there is only one way to find out!
__________________
Not a F150 sellout? Click HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmcclure View Post
adamantium tamponicus!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-13-2014, 08:19 AM
mfernandes mfernandes is offline
Real trucks are American
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,091
Send a message via MSN to mfernandes
Default Re: Tailgate won't stay closed

Ill try that pal!!!
Thanks a lot
__________________
Paysand˙, Uruguay
1996 Reg. Cab Ford Ranger, V6 3.0L, 5 speed manual trans.

THAT AWESOME MOMENT WHEN YOU REALIZE YOU CAN TAKE ALL THE PEOPLE THAT BOUGHT A JUSTIN BIEBER ALBUM, MULTIPLY IT BY 6 AND STILL DON`T GET TO REACH THE SELLINGS OF PINK FLOYD`S "DARK SIDE OF THE MOON"
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-16-2016, 06:19 PM
prepressrelic prepressrelic is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1
Default Re: Tailgate won't stay closed

This post is very old, but I feel that others like myself will continue to look it up. This is my first post, and feel like I have an option to offer.

My tailgate stopped latching all of a sudden one day, and no adjustments would correct the problem. After reading posts, I decided to dig into the workings of the inner tailgate. Therein was the area that solved the problem.

The latch has a nylon guide that the "strikers" glide through. These guides became dislodged (which explains why this happened all of a sudden), thereby keeping the strikers from latching in the rectangular openings on the strike plates. These nylon guides are beveled and fit a curved right angle. I super glued some small finishing nails against the beveled edge of the nylon guide.

Hope this is some help to someone with the same issue. Really enjoy searching this site!!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-19-2016, 10:42 AM
mfernandes mfernandes is offline
Real trucks are American
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,091
Send a message via MSN to mfernandes
Default Re: Tailgate won't stay closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepressrelic View Post
This post is very old, but I feel that others like myself will continue to look it up. This is my first post, and feel like I have an option to offer.

My tailgate stopped latching all of a sudden one day, and no adjustments would correct the problem. After reading posts, I decided to dig into the workings of the inner tailgate. Therein was the area that solved the problem.

The latch has a nylon guide that the "strikers" glide through. These guides became dislodged (which explains why this happened all of a sudden), thereby keeping the strikers from latching in the rectangular openings on the strike plates. These nylon guides are beveled and fit a curved right angle. I super glued some small finishing nails against the beveled edge of the nylon guide.

Hope this is some help to someone with the same issue. Really enjoy searching this site!!
Can you please take a picture of your repair? Id really like to see that, sounds very interesting man!
__________________
Paysand˙, Uruguay
1996 Reg. Cab Ford Ranger, V6 3.0L, 5 speed manual trans.

THAT AWESOME MOMENT WHEN YOU REALIZE YOU CAN TAKE ALL THE PEOPLE THAT BOUGHT A JUSTIN BIEBER ALBUM, MULTIPLY IT BY 6 AND STILL DON`T GET TO REACH THE SELLINGS OF PINK FLOYD`S "DARK SIDE OF THE MOON"
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-10-2016, 10:45 PM
cortezmario94 cortezmario94 is offline
Ford Truck Driver
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 84
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerman88 View Post
This happend to me in my ranger... Ur rite that they dont go in all the way, let ur tailgate down, and pull the latches upward then when u close it, pull the handle out, then release it, that should work, least it did for me... Good Luck
exactly what I do lol
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tailgate

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
sparkplugs won't stay tight john h 4.0 SOHC / 4.0 OHV Tech 0 10-26-2010 03:27 PM
xenonmods - stay away simfarm Product/Company/Member Reviews 4 10-08-2010 10:56 AM
4x4 stay busted busted ranger Drivetrain Tech 2 08-12-2010 12:08 AM
Shifter Knob won't stay on bolivartech Interior Tech 5 07-06-2010 05:13 PM
Truck wouldn't stay running TrndAssassin 4-Cylinder Tech 5 05-31-2010 09:00 AM