Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 10-29-2010, 08:52 AM
DangerRanger379 DangerRanger379 is offline
B. A. M. F.
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 483
Default Need info on LED tail conversion...

so i hear that if you pull your OEM bulbs in replace them with an led type bulb that they will blink rapidly as if one of your bulbs is out. is this true? and if so, what can be done to make them blink the normal speed?

thanks all
__________________
2003 | XLT | Extended Cab | V6 | 4x4 | 4.0L SOHC | 3 Inch Body Lift | Cranked T-Bars | TJM Wench Bumper | Blacked Out Heads | Fog Light Mod | Surround Delete Mod | Blinker Mod | Custom Center Console | OHC | Pacer Bullet Rims | 33x12.5 All Terrains | 1 Inch Wheel Spacers
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-29-2010, 08:55 AM
pooleo pooleo is offline
Ban Survivor. (x2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,764
Default Re: Need info on LED tail conversion...

I have them in my truck, red ones. They work as normal bulbs do.
__________________
1999 | Ext. Cab | 4.0 | 4x4 | 4.10's
Quote:
A Gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Each time he enters the arena, he slips his c0ck in the mouth of the beast, and prays to thrust home before the jaws snap shut. - Oenomaus
Ball Joints/Upper A-Arms How To
Replace Door pin/bushing
Repair broken dome light tabs
VIDEO OHC Install
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-29-2010, 09:07 AM
DangerRanger379 DangerRanger379 is offline
B. A. M. F.
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 483
Default Re: Need info on LED tail conversion...

ok, is there a certain type or place to get them that you would prefer?
__________________
2003 | XLT | Extended Cab | V6 | 4x4 | 4.0L SOHC | 3 Inch Body Lift | Cranked T-Bars | TJM Wench Bumper | Blacked Out Heads | Fog Light Mod | Surround Delete Mod | Blinker Mod | Custom Center Console | OHC | Pacer Bullet Rims | 33x12.5 All Terrains | 1 Inch Wheel Spacers
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-29-2010, 09:37 AM
ranger024x4 ranger024x4 is offline
dumpster fire
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 5,372
Default Re: Need info on LED tail conversion...

I had some and they did have the ricer flash. I bought a new flasher relay that was ment for led bulbs.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-29-2010, 10:06 AM
pooleo pooleo is offline
Ban Survivor. (x2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,764
Default Re: Need info on LED tail conversion...

I bought mine at auto zone. From my understanding, if you have a high flash problem, add the led to the exsisting wire and bulb. The original bulb will act as a ballast and make the led work properly. Use some elec. tape and tape up the bulb. Or you can by the ballast but they are junk and are like $10 a piece.

I myself have 04 tailights and used the reverse spot as the blinker. I use a red LED for this and I did not have any problems
__________________
1999 | Ext. Cab | 4.0 | 4x4 | 4.10's
Quote:
A Gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Each time he enters the arena, he slips his c0ck in the mouth of the beast, and prays to thrust home before the jaws snap shut. - Oenomaus
Ball Joints/Upper A-Arms How To
Replace Door pin/bushing
Repair broken dome light tabs
VIDEO OHC Install
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-29-2010, 10:09 AM
STL STL is offline
...............

 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 23,398
Default Re: Need info on LED tail conversion...

Get a EP27 flasher to correct the "hyper flash"
__________________
2005 Edge

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-29-2010, 10:12 AM
Jp7 Jp7 is offline
DISABLE ADBLOCK: LOLZ
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,438
Default Re: Need info on LED tail conversion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerRanger379 View Post
ok, is there a certain type or place to get them that you would prefer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger024x4 View Post
I had some and they did have the ricer flash. I bought a new flasher relay that was ment for led bulbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleo8 View Post
I bought mine at auto zone. From my understanding, if you have a high flash problem, add the led to the exsisting wire and bulb. The original bulb will act as a ballast and make the led work properly. Use some elec. tape and tape up the bulb. Or you can by the ballast but they are junk and are like $10 a piece.

I myself have 04 tailights and used the reverse spot as the blinker. I use a red LED for this and I did not have any problems
I am considered to be the expert by many on FRF/RF about all LED conversions on the ranger.

First of all, any LEDs you buy from autozone are going to be junk. They have no heat sink, and they will not fill the reflective surface of the tail light with light at all. The only good LED replacement (that is simple) for the ranger is the L1224R. For a while I was selling these that I have had removed from Mercury Mountaineer tail lights.

There is a better option than L1224R, but it is much more work. It involves buying 2 sets of tail lights, opening each up and combining the remaining parts to make a good set of tail lights. While apart, you can make PCB's that contain many, many superflux lumiled LEDs. This is my current project.

With any LEDs, the current draw is much less than stock. The factory flashing unit under the dash is designed to blink fast when it sees a low current draw simply because this is the trucks way of telling you "hey - I think you have a bulb out".

You can indeed replace this flasher with one designed from LEDs but I highly reccomend to ONLY buy the EP27 that VLEDs.com sells. This is the ONLY flasher that I have tested repeated times in comparison to the standard "autozone" flashers and they tend to work more correctly in more situations. I think that autolumination.com sells the exact same flasher also (I'll tell you in a few days, I just ordered one)

If you search for threads I've authored you will find TONS of threads on LED conversion projects for your ranger.
__________________
Looking for a professional retrofitter to add HIDs or LEDs to your Ranger? PM me if your looking to have work done, and have cash to spend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRanger View Post
I'm dying to see this at night. Someone go tell the sun to give up already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beef08 View Post
Your the man, you bring our dreams to a reality within the lighting spectrum
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCobe View Post
Jp7 you always do AMAZING work! Hats off to you sir
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRanger View Post
People so often confuse "hating" with "knowing better".
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-29-2010, 10:42 AM
pooleo pooleo is offline
Ban Survivor. (x2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,764
Default Re: Need info on LED tail conversion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp7 View Post
I am considered to be the expert by many on FRF/RF about all LED conversions on the ranger.

First of all, any LEDs you buy from autozone are going to be junk. They have no heat sink, and they will not fill the reflective surface of the tail light with light at all. The only good LED replacement (that is simple) for the ranger is the L1224R. For a while I was selling these that I have had removed from Mercury Mountaineer tail lights.

There is a better option than L1224R, but it is much more work. It involves buying 2 sets of tail lights, opening each up and combining the remaining parts to make a good set of tail lights. While apart, you can make PCB's that contain many, many superflux lumiled LEDs. This is my current project.

With any LEDs, the current draw is much less than stock. The factory flashing unit under the dash is designed to blink fast when it sees a low current draw simply because this is the trucks way of telling you "hey - I think you have a bulb out".

You can indeed replace this flasher with one designed from LEDs but I highly reccomend to ONLY buy the EP27 that VLEDs.com sells. This is the ONLY flasher that I have tested repeated times in comparison to the standard "autozone" flashers and they tend to work more correctly in more situations. I think that autolumination.com sells the exact same flasher also (I'll tell you in a few days, I just ordered one)

If you search for threads I've authored you will find TONS of threads on LED conversion projects for your ranger.
I don't think that mine from AZ are junk, infact they are very bright and reflect very well. Tho, mine are not replacement for tail lights. And as I stated in my post, I have the '04 tail lense and the reverse space is occupied by the blinker. They do not have a heat sink but I havn't had any problems. They also have a very elaborte circuit board. Maybe this is why I don't have these blinking issues. For me it was a plug and play mod. I will post a pic tonite of the lense and LED bulb.
__________________
1999 | Ext. Cab | 4.0 | 4x4 | 4.10's
Quote:
A Gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Each time he enters the arena, he slips his c0ck in the mouth of the beast, and prays to thrust home before the jaws snap shut. - Oenomaus
Ball Joints/Upper A-Arms How To
Replace Door pin/bushing
Repair broken dome light tabs
VIDEO OHC Install

Last edited by pooleo; 10-29-2010 at 10:49 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-29-2010, 11:14 AM
Jp7 Jp7 is offline
DISABLE ADBLOCK: LOLZ
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,438
Default Re: Need info on LED tail conversion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleo8 View Post
I don't think that mine from AZ are junk, infact they are very bright and reflect very well. Tho, mine are not replacement for tail lights. And as I stated in my post, I have the '04 tail lense and the reverse space is occupied by the blinker. They do not have a heat sink but I havn't had any problems. They also have a very elaborte circuit board. Maybe this is why I don't have these blinking issues. For me it was a plug and play mod. I will post a pic tonite of the lense and LED bulb.
These them?

__________________
Looking for a professional retrofitter to add HIDs or LEDs to your Ranger? PM me if your looking to have work done, and have cash to spend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRanger View Post
I'm dying to see this at night. Someone go tell the sun to give up already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beef08 View Post
Your the man, you bring our dreams to a reality within the lighting spectrum
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCobe View Post
Jp7 you always do AMAZING work! Hats off to you sir
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRanger View Post
People so often confuse "hating" with "knowing better".
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-29-2010, 11:22 AM
STL STL is offline
...............

 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 23,398
Default Re: Need info on LED tail conversion...

Here is my L1224R swap ==> http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exter...phase-1-a.html





__________________
2005 Edge

Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-29-2010, 11:43 AM
Jp7 Jp7 is offline
DISABLE ADBLOCK: LOLZ
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,438
Default Re: Need info on LED tail conversion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL View Post
The L1224R's are slighly better than stock in terms of brightness, and for the longest time this was the best option. Now that PCB's are an option for me I'm switching to them. I just did PCB's in my headlights and they make the L1224R's look dim in comparison. I do love my L1224Rs though.
__________________
Looking for a professional retrofitter to add HIDs or LEDs to your Ranger? PM me if your looking to have work done, and have cash to spend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRanger View Post
I'm dying to see this at night. Someone go tell the sun to give up already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beef08 View Post
Your the man, you bring our dreams to a reality within the lighting spectrum
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCobe View Post
Jp7 you always do AMAZING work! Hats off to you sir
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRanger View Post
People so often confuse "hating" with "knowing better".
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-29-2010, 11:45 AM
pooleo pooleo is offline
Ban Survivor. (x2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,764
Default Re: Need info on LED tail conversion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp7 View Post
These them?

No. mine are not that long and have 6 LEDs on the sides. They are also much thicker in the center and not clear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oct29_0001.jpg (86.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Oct29_0003.jpg (85.5 KB, 25 views)
__________________
1999 | Ext. Cab | 4.0 | 4x4 | 4.10's
Quote:
A Gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Each time he enters the arena, he slips his c0ck in the mouth of the beast, and prays to thrust home before the jaws snap shut. - Oenomaus
Ball Joints/Upper A-Arms How To
Replace Door pin/bushing
Repair broken dome light tabs
VIDEO OHC Install
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-29-2010, 11:50 AM
Jp7 Jp7 is offline
DISABLE ADBLOCK: LOLZ
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,438
Default Re: Need info on LED tail conversion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleo8 View Post
No. mine are not that long and have 6 LEDs on the sides. They are also much thicker in the center and not clear.
Yes - I know which one you mean. Those don't even come close to stock output or that of an L1224R. They have no heat sink because they can't handle any current. Your LEDs are 10ma rated. They look bright for Hellen Keller.
__________________
Looking for a professional retrofitter to add HIDs or LEDs to your Ranger? PM me if your looking to have work done, and have cash to spend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRanger View Post
I'm dying to see this at night. Someone go tell the sun to give up already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beef08 View Post
Your the man, you bring our dreams to a reality within the lighting spectrum
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCobe View Post
Jp7 you always do AMAZING work! Hats off to you sir
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRanger View Post
People so often confuse "hating" with "knowing better".

Last edited by Jp7; 10-29-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-29-2010, 06:31 PM
pooleo pooleo is offline
Ban Survivor. (x2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,764
Default Re: Need info on LED tail conversion...

Well my phone takes very crappy pics at night and the vid wont upload. For some reason. Its a .3pg file, idk...?

I guess I will try with my video camera in a little while.
__________________
1999 | Ext. Cab | 4.0 | 4x4 | 4.10's
Quote:
A Gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Each time he enters the arena, he slips his c0ck in the mouth of the beast, and prays to thrust home before the jaws snap shut. - Oenomaus
Ball Joints/Upper A-Arms How To
Replace Door pin/bushing
Repair broken dome light tabs
VIDEO OHC Install
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-29-2010, 07:05 PM
FireRanger FireRanger is offline
Blinded by the light
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 7,674
Send a message via AIM to FireRanger
Default Re: Need info on LED tail conversion...

I did the L1224R conversion in my tailights... in fact I bought them from JP7! They far surpass any of the junk you could ever buy at Autozone.

And yes, the proper way to fix the fast-flash is with an EP27 flasher.
__________________
(Formerly)
FireRanger
2003 Edge 4.0 4wd

How to: Aux light wiring, relays, & fuses
Info: 300+ intake threads here on FRF
Info: HID Projectors
How To: NO HEAT Troubleshooting Guide

Last edited by FireRanger; 10-29-2010 at 07:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
led conversion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: L1224R LED tail light conversion kit: much better than stock! (IL) Jp7 Exterior Parts 54 11-09-2011 10:41 PM
Finally started working on 01 tail light LED project buggman Exterior Tech 16 10-02-2010 05:19 AM
'97 to '06 and up tail light conversion mac97 General Ford Ranger Discussion 3 09-22-2010 05:37 PM
tail conversion 00RedRangerXLT Exterior Tech 4 08-11-2010 11:17 PM
[SOLD] 98-04 Black Anzo Tail Lights - LED Smoked 3rd Brake BiggChris Exterior Parts 10 03-02-2010 06:08 PM