Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #16  
Old 03-22-2017, 10:19 AM
Maars Maars is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 11
Default Re: Fuel filler neck replacing/stripped bed bolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvar View Post
but the front 2 bolts will be hardest to access.
Sadly it is one of the front bolts that I stripped, I'll definitely see if I can work the hose out from underneath though, thanks so much
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-22-2017, 10:38 AM
cvar cvar is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,310
Default Re: Fuel filler neck replacing/stripped bed bolt

One of the 2 tank straps: http://i.imgur.com/dePG7.jpg
__________________
1997 4x4 Mazda B4000 SE, Ext.Cab
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-22-2017, 10:49 AM
Maars Maars is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 11
Default Re: Fuel filler neck replacing/stripped bed bolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvar View Post
One of the 2 tank straps: http://i.imgur.com/dePG7.jpg
is it as easy as that to drop the tank? wouldnt you have to pull the gas pump and whatnot? seems like that would make everything else go much smoother if it is so easy
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-22-2017, 11:19 AM
horizon94 horizon94 is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 619
Default Re: Fuel filler neck replacing/stripped bed bolt

If you're going to take a break from the ranger you should periodically spray all of the fasteners you plan on touching with PB Blaster.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
__________________
2000 Ford Ranger XLT Ext. Cab - 4.0L - 4WD - 3" BL - AAL - Maxed T-Bars - 16" Mickey Thompson Classic Locks - 265/75/16 Cooper AT3s - 12" Power Acoustik Sub @ 1200 watts
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-22-2017, 12:38 PM
cvar cvar is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,310
Default Re: Fuel filler neck replacing/stripped bed bolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maars View Post
is it as easy as that to drop the tank? wouldnt you have to pull the gas pump and whatnot? seems like that would make everything else go much smoother if it is so easy
Yes, it's that simple. A 4x4 also has a skid-plate (4 bolts) too. The tank itself is held by 2 straps (so 2 bolts total). The fuel pump stays inside the tank, so just unplug the fuel pump before (or while) dropping the tank.

Most importantly, see this photo: http://i.imgur.com/GR06Vw8.jpg

Notice that your fuel-pump has 2 rubber gas hoses (in & out) plus 1 electrical connector, plus 1 rubber ventilation hose a few inches away, so just unplug those 4 things, and drop the tank. Don't worry, here's plenty of slack to disconnect them while its rear end is being dropped. There are more photos starting about 1/2 way down in here: http://imgur.com/a/sUnMy

No special tools needed. Remember to chock your wheels before crawling underneath.
I agree with horizon94....multiple shots of "PB Blaster" over the next few days to loosen the bed bolts. That stuff is magic.

Tip: drain the tank before you drop it. 18 gallons of gasoline is heavy!
__________________
1997 4x4 Mazda B4000 SE, Ext.Cab

Last edited by cvar; 03-22-2017 at 12:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-22-2017, 01:59 PM
DangerRanger37 DangerRanger37 is offline
Tuck it in.
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 379
Default Re: Fuel filler neck replacing/stripped bed bolt

Welp,
it looks like you may have what you're looking for already. But I figured I'd share what I found about stripped torx bolts via my wrangler.

When they start to strip (don't know how bad yours is) but usually you can pound the torx driver into there until it sticks. Then you can have another go.

If that doesn't work, I've cut them into hex head shapes. Or depending on the size of them you can sometimes pound a socket onto them. You will junk the socket but that's what warranties are for.

Another thing I got to work involved cutting a wide notch into the head of the bolt and treating it almost like a flat head with a flat bar. That actually worked pretty well.

Finally, weld a bolt to it. put the impact to it, snap it or get it out lol.

Good luck.
__________________
1997 Ranger XLT 4.0L 2wd 3.55 open
RCX leveling coils, Pro Comp AAL, 1" BL
31x10.5x15 General Grabber AT2
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-24-2017, 03:16 PM
Maars Maars is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 11
Default Re: Fuel filler neck replacing/stripped bed bolt

Bet ima catch alot of shit for this, but I was able to wedge my hand between the frame and the bed and was able to feel out the single large crack in the bend of the filler neck just above the gas tank, got some oil/gasoline resistant JB weld and filled the crack with it, everything seems good so far, will update if something changes.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-24-2017, 03:21 PM
Rath Empire Rath Empire is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 265
Default Re: Fuel filler neck replacing/stripped bed bolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_Country View Post
I wouldn't take a grinder near a gas tank
Nothing wrong with grinding near a gas tank. Just make sure it's as full as possible and let it sit for a few hours before grinding. as long as there's not leaks you'll be fine.

I did a ton of grinding right beside the filler on my project car when it had half a tank of gas. should have filled it but I was lazy. No issues.
__________________
2006 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II
Twitter: @RathPhoto
RathPhoto.ca
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-24-2017, 03:37 PM
Chevy_Country Chevy_Country is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 328
Default Re: Fuel filler neck replacing/stripped bed bolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rath Empire View Post
Nothing wrong with grinding near a gas tank. Just make sure it's as full as possible and let it sit for a few hours before grinding. as long as there's not leaks you'll be fine.

I did a ton of grinding right beside the filler on my project car when it had half a tank of gas. should have filled it but I was lazy. No issues.
less fumes in a full tank true, is it prpbrable? A little, but sparks fly, rubber hoses, and what not, I wouldn't do it

Not to say everytime you do it you'll blow up, but why take the chance, and the chance is still there

11 Cruze LTZ 1.4T
04 Ranger XLT 4.0 4x4

Last edited by Chevy_Country; 03-24-2017 at 03:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-24-2017, 03:46 PM
Rath Empire Rath Empire is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 265
Default Re: Fuel filler neck replacing/stripped bed bolt

if your tank isn't leaking, you'll be fine. if you're super scared, wrap a wet towel around the tank/filler hoses.

like i said I was grinding literally right beside the filler of my 43 year old project car lol if anything was gonna happen, it would have happened on that thing for sure.

It takes more than people think for fuel to ignite and blow up a gas tank. Is there risk? sure. Is it as big as a lot of people think? not even close.
__________________
2006 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II
Twitter: @RathPhoto
RathPhoto.ca
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-24-2017, 03:47 PM
Chevy_Country Chevy_Country is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 328
Default Re: Fuel filler neck replacing/stripped bed bolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rath Empire View Post
if your tank isn't leaking, you'll be fine. if you're super scared, wrap a wet towel around the tank/filler hoses.

like i said I was grinding literally right beside the filler of my 43 year old project car lol if anything was gonna happen, it would have happened on that thing for sure.

It takes more than people think for fuel to ignite and blow up a gas tank. Is there risk? sure. Is it as big as a lot of people think? not even close.
Ok, just a difference of opinion I guess

11 Cruze LTZ 1.4T
04 Ranger XLT 4.0 4x4
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-24-2017, 03:53 PM
Rath Empire Rath Empire is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 265
Default Re: Fuel filler neck replacing/stripped bed bolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_Country View Post
Ok, just a difference of opinion I guess

11 Cruze LTZ 1.4T
04 Ranger XLT 4.0 4x4
I mean, facts aren't opinions but okay.
__________________
2006 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II
Twitter: @RathPhoto
RathPhoto.ca
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-24-2017, 04:25 PM
Chevy_Country Chevy_Country is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 328
Default Re: Fuel filler neck replacing/stripped bed bolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rath Empire View Post
I mean, facts aren't opinions but okay.
Lol making it sound like you wanna start an argument on a forum. Needless to say, because you've experienced something I disagree with doesn't mean you're opinion is a facts

Well damn I haven't blown up yet so my opinions must be facts! FACT is that a spark and fuel, wether liquid or gas, will ignite, we both have different beliefs and I respect yours, but feel differently and practice my work differently, no big deal, take care man

11 Cruze LTZ 1.4T
04 Ranger XLT 4.0 4x4
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-24-2017, 04:31 PM
Rath Empire Rath Empire is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 265
Default Re: Fuel filler neck replacing/stripped bed bolt

the amount it takes to blow up a fuel tank is a fact. It's not an opinion. A solid fuel tank with no leaks will not blow up from grinding near it. That's a fact. With no leaks there is no fuel. How do you expect an explosion or a fire to occur when there is no fuel?

Hell cars that catch fire take a long time to explode the fuel tank. You think a few sparks from grinding is going to go boom? No. Simple fact.


if you got a leaky ass fuel tank sure, it MIGHT catch fire and explode.
__________________
2006 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II
Twitter: @RathPhoto
RathPhoto.ca
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-24-2017, 04:35 PM
Chevy_Country Chevy_Country is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 328
Default Re: Fuel filler neck replacing/stripped bed bolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rath Empire View Post
the amount it takes to blow up a fuel tank is a fact. It's not an opinion. A solid fuel tank with no leaks will not blow up from grinding near it. That's a fact. With no leaks there is no fuel. How do you expect an explosion or a fire to occur when there is no fuel?

Hell cars that catch fire take a long time to explode the fuel tank. You think a few sparks from grinding is going to go boom? No. Simple fact.


if you got a leaky ass fuel tank sure, it MIGHT catch fire and explode.
Alright man, like I said we just disagree, I'm gonna take this debate off the forun, just in case the OP has any other questions

have a good Friday everyone

11 Cruze LTZ 1.4T
04 Ranger XLT 4.0 4x4
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bed, bolts, fuel, stripped, torx

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Replacing filler neck in rhino lined bed ccasteel General Tech 4 10-18-2012 04:34 AM
Fuel filler neck computersoc General Tech 13 09-27-2012 12:04 PM
fuel filler neck!! 92texasranger General Tech 7 09-23-2012 07:22 PM
For Trade: 2004 fuel tank filler neck trade for 2003 fuel tank filler neck cslb81 Trucks 0 04-02-2012 11:09 AM
1989 - 1997 Ford Ranger Fuel Filler Neck with 6 Foot Bed 1ATony Vendor Section 0 12-07-2011 12:27 PM