Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 01-10-2017, 09:17 PM
aroundincircles aroundincircles is offline
Ford Motor Company
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 147
Default Bed shortener?

So I'm going to be getting a bed cover, and I want to be able to toss stuff into the bed, but not slide all the way up to the front, Is there a product that will shorten the bed, or has anybody built something that will shorten the bed, but easily fold away when not needed? It would be better with dividers.

I tried to search, to see if there was a thread, but I wasn't even sure what to search for to be honest.
__________________
98 Mazda B4000 4x4 31" tires
Check out my off road youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/aicoffroadvideo
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-10-2017, 09:20 PM
Fasttrackranger Fasttrackranger is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 252
Default Re: Bed shortener?

Maybe a bed extender off a sport trac will fit? When ots closed it takes almost 2 ft off the bed and makes a nice basket for groceries

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk
__________________
96 ford ranger 4wd 4.0l OHV auto.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-11-2017, 06:44 AM
Jswifto Jswifto is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,421
Default

It is called a 2X6 or 8 cut to length
__________________
1999 Ranger 4.0 and extreme Snap-on tool fetish
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-11-2017, 07:38 AM
aroundincircles aroundincircles is offline
Ford Motor Company
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 147
Default Re: Bed shortener?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jswifto View Post
It is called a 2X6 or 8 cut to length
How do you keep it in place?

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk
__________________
98 Mazda B4000 4x4 31" tires
Check out my off road youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/aicoffroadvideo
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-11-2017, 07:49 AM
Jswifto Jswifto is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,421
Default

Most beds have notches in the side for them
__________________
1999 Ranger 4.0 and extreme Snap-on tool fetish
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-11-2017, 07:54 AM
aroundincircles aroundincircles is offline
Ford Motor Company
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 147
Default Re: Bed shortener?

I have a plastic bed liner, the notches are not very defined. I'll have to see if a 2xwhatever will stay up.
__________________
98 Mazda B4000 4x4 31" tires
Check out my off road youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/aicoffroadvideo
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-11-2017, 11:31 AM
Fasttrackranger Fasttrackranger is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 252
Default Re: Bed shortener?

Maybe you could buy a car with a trunk instead?

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk
__________________
96 ford ranger 4wd 4.0l OHV auto.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-11-2017, 11:37 AM
aroundincircles aroundincircles is offline
Ford Motor Company
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 147
Default Re: Bed shortener?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasttrackranger View Post
Maybe you could buy a car with a trunk instead?

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk
See, I bought a truck because I need a truck, but I am not always carrying large things, sometimes I carry small things. Sometimes I carry a lot of things, but some of those I need access to more often than others. So your comment is not helpful in the slightest.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk
__________________
98 Mazda B4000 4x4 31" tires
Check out my off road youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/aicoffroadvideo
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-11-2017, 02:06 PM
dvrich dvrich is offline
Lifetime DAV Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,190
Default Re: Bed shortener?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundincircles View Post
See, I bought a truck because I need a truck, but I am not always carrying large things, sometimes I carry small things. Sometimes I carry a lot of things, but some of those I need access to more often than others. So your comment is not helpful in the slightest.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

If you don't want smartass comments, then don't ask vague questions. There are plenty of truck accessory stores that can help you.
__________________
2014 Ford F150 4x4 Supercab 5.0 STX
2012 Mustang GT auto Ruby Red
I am deplorable!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-11-2017, 02:31 PM
dvrich dvrich is offline
Lifetime DAV Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,190
Default Re: Bed shortener?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasttrackranger View Post
Maybe you could buy a car with a trunk instead?

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk
LOL!

My 12 year old grandson could figure out how to keep loads from moving around in the bed.
__________________
2014 Ford F150 4x4 Supercab 5.0 STX
2012 Mustang GT auto Ruby Red
I am deplorable!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-11-2017, 02:43 PM
Fasttrackranger Fasttrackranger is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 252
Default Re: Bed shortener?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundincircles View Post
See, I bought a truck because I need a truck, but I am not always carrying large things, sometimes I carry small things. Sometimes I carry a lot of things, but some of those I need access to more often than others. So your comment is not helpful in the slightest.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk
Its just that this question has been asked a few times already. The answer is always the same. If it requires actual skills to do or cost too much people look for another answer. There is nothing you can do that'll magically install itself into your bed and not cost a dime. Head to a jy and get you a bed extender from a sport trac for $50. Pocket the brackets they require. Then install it somehow into your bed. Then your 5 and a half foot bed will only be 3.5 ft and the extender can flip out and make your bed 7.5 ft when necessary. Cut up some 2x's and make baskets. These are options that are realistic.

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk
__________________
96 ford ranger 4wd 4.0l OHV auto.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-11-2017, 03:01 PM
SB03Ranger SB03Ranger is offline
checking the weather
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,304
Default Re: Bed shortener?

I had a bed divider thing at one point. I actually sold it on here. Worked great cause it was adjustable.

----------



Called a loading zone bed organizer.
__________________
its a Ranger
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-11-2017, 03:18 PM
RoberticusMaximus RoberticusMaximus is offline
<<< Husky the High Dog!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,634
Default Re: Bed shortener?

i used an old shower curtain rod (screws out against the bed sides) for years. it was going in the trash anyway, so i though what the hell. kept my mower against the cab and the gas cans against the tailgate

and i'm just about to take some junk lumber and build a cage for hauling slippery shit around that i don't want slipping around the bed lol

both about as cheap as you can get!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-11-2017, 03:30 PM
aroundincircles aroundincircles is offline
Ford Motor Company
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 147
Default Re: Bed shortener?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasttrackranger View Post
Its just that this question has been asked a few times already. The answer is always the same. If it requires actual skills to do or cost too much people look for another answer. There is nothing you can do that'll magically install itself into your bed and not cost a dime. Head to a jy and get you a bed extender from a sport trac for $50. Pocket the brackets they require. Then install it somehow into your bed. Then your 5 and a half foot bed will only be 3.5 ft and the extender can flip out and make your bed 7.5 ft when necessary. Cut up some 2x's and make baskets. These are options that are realistic.

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk
Like I said in my original quote, I didn't know what to search for. and so did not find what I was looking for. I'm not afraid to build something, or spend the money on something that fits my needs perfectly, but before I went and designed something to build or dropped cash on something, seeing what others have done gives me an idea of what works and what does not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB03Ranger View Post
I had a bed divider thing at one point. I actually sold it on here. Worked great cause it was adjustable.

----------



Called a loading zone bed organizer.
awesome! thanks, that looks like a good product, and not too far out of possibility, Its not perfect, but pretty darn close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoberticusMaximus View Post
i used an old shower curtain rod (screws out against the bed sides) for years. it was going in the trash anyway, so i though what the hell. kept my mower against the cab and the gas cans against the tailgate

and i'm just about to take some junk lumber and build a cage for hauling slippery shit around that i don't want slipping around the bed lol

both about as cheap as you can get!
Very true, I unfortunately don't have scrap lumber sitting around, but I love the idea of the shower curtain rod. Simple, cheap, effective! I wonder how it would work if and two and hooked up some mesh bags one on top, other on bottom, to work as a divider as well as a something to hold smaller things. and when its not going to be used, can be put out of the way pretty quick and easy.

I tend to carry a lot of boxes and computer equipment around, and having to unfold a bed cover to reach something that has slid to the front is a pain that can be avoided, and that's really what I'm trying to avoid doing.
__________________
98 Mazda B4000 4x4 31" tires
Check out my off road youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/aicoffroadvideo
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-11-2017, 03:40 PM
RoberticusMaximus RoberticusMaximus is offline
<<< Husky the High Dog!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,634
Default Re: Bed shortener?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundincircles View Post
Like I said in my original quote, I didn't know what to search for. and so did not find what I was looking for. I'm not afraid to build something, or spend the money on something that fits my needs perfectly, but before I went and designed something to build or dropped cash on something, seeing what others have done gives me an idea of what works and what does not.



awesome! thanks, that looks like a good product, and not too far out of possibility, Its not perfect, but pretty darn close.



Very true, I unfortunately don't have scrap lumber sitting around, but I love the idea of the shower curtain rod. Simple, cheap, effective! I wonder how it would work if and two and hooked up some mesh bags one on top, other on bottom, to work as a divider as well as a something to hold smaller things. and when its not going to be used, can be put out of the way pretty quick and easy.

I tend to carry a lot of boxes and computer equipment around, and having to unfold a bed cover to reach something that has slid to the front is a pain that can be avoided, and that's really what I'm trying to avoid doing.
you could indeed make a net, like a volleyball net in fact, with a couple rods an a netting of your choice. not a bad idea at all
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: Factory Bed Extender & Bed / Tailgate Rubber Mat NightmareFX4 Exterior Parts 0 06-23-2016 01:27 PM
For Sale: 2006 stx bed(damaged) leer bed cap (undameged) gmonde Exterior Parts 0 10-11-2014 05:18 PM
For Trade: WTT 2002 Stepside Bed for a 2001 + fleet side bed Fordfan444 Exterior Parts 9 01-24-2014 10:09 PM
relpace bed side, whole bed, or flatbed/utitilty bed? chaffinyo Exterior Tech 6 08-02-2012 02:19 PM
Want to Buy: 1997 ford ranger long bed bed liner wantede 97fordrangerproject Exterior Parts 2 03-16-2011 01:12 PM