As seen in my original post HERE
I've been working on some LED mods with 3rd Brake Lights.
Here's a LINK
to my 3rdBL pages on photobucket in case these pics get moved or lost.
Here's a LINK
to Clinton's thread where he just received #0001
Here's a few pics of my original design:
As you can see this was one with the cargo lights that where I disassembled the lens from the main body to mount the led panels inside.
My newly re-designed mod mounts the LED panels from the back side of the modded housing. Sorry, no pics yet.
Removing the lens was WAY too much work & comes with a HUGE risk of breaking the lens during the process. I've found that my new design allows me to install the same number of LEDs in each of the outer sections, while only losing about 4 LEDs in the red center section.
For the all red style, I'm planning a couple different versions.
1) All 3 sections have separate led panels. Each panel can operate independent of the others. If you want to connect the two outer sections to your turn signals.
2) One large led panel. This panel will cover the vast majority of the back of the 3rd BL. It will be one large brake light panel. If you just want the most amount of red light from your 3rd BL.
3) A slightly lower cost version of the single large panel idea using a different type of LED's. Still brighter than the old incandescent bulbs, but not as bright as the full blown LED mod versions.
For the Cargo Lights version: $1,000,000.00 (cue Dr. Evil mad laugh)
For the All red versions: $1,000,000.00 (cue Scott Evil maniacal laugh)
(pricing may be updated depending on demand & market conditions)
Forum rules state you must have a price.
Shipping costs will depend on location since the Post Office keeps cranking up the fees, I'll need your zip code (PM me) to get you a quote. I'm guessing somewhere in the $6 to $8 (estimate only) for Priority shipping in the USA, Canada will probably be a little more.
I plan on making these as simple to install as possible, yet I'll offer a few options as well.
1) T10 base bulb holders. These will simply plug into the factory bulb sockets. You may or may not be able to get the factory sockets back into the 3rd BL housing. Simple plug-in connection, although there's a slight chance the bulb holders may work their way loose over time.
2) Direct connection, easy. I'll include quick connectors so you can crimp the 3rd BL wires onto your factory wiring plug. Pretty simple, if you can use a pair of pliers, you're good.
3) Direct connection, permanent. I'll include butt connectors crimped onto the wiring of the 3rd BL, all you need to do is cut off the sockets from the factory harness, strip the wires & crimp on the connectors. Still pretty simple, but it's a permanent mod... unless you have an extra wiring harness.
If you don't know the wiring colors for the factory 3rd brake light wiring harness is....
For ALL RED 3rd bl's: Green = Positive, Black = Negative
For RED/WHITE cargo light 3rd bl's: Red center section: Green = Positive, Black = Negative, White outer sections: Black/Pink = Positive, Black = Negative.
My wiring will generally be: Red = Positive, Black = Negative. Sometimes Positive wires will be red, orange or some variation red, while Negative wires will be black, black/some stripe, green, etc. If I have to use an alternate color wire, I'll include a note or label the actual wires.
In an effort to reduce the number of leaky Rangers, I plan on running a bead of silicone around the back side over the original foam gasket. I CAN NOT guarantee 100% that yours won't leak, but I'll do my best.
My current mod includes voltage regulators to ensure the LED panels receive 12v +/-. If your truck is only able to produce 12v max, your LED modded 3rd brake light will not achieve maximum brightness... it will be close, but not quite 100%. If your truck is like mine & produces 14.4v +, your LED modded 3rd brake light will be running at maximum brightness.
I'll be updating this along the way.
Currently, I have one cargo light version that is nearly completed & I hope to get some pics later this week.
As I mentioned, the all red 3rd bl's will have a couple variations depending on what you want & how elaborate you want to get.
PayPal is good for me. I'm PayPal Verified with over a thousand transactions.