Written by: redneckstone
Discussion Thread: How-to: 02-04 Level II Tow hook modification for Body Lift.
Neither Redneckstone nor FordRangerForum.com accept any responsibility for actions taken during or resulting from attempting this modification. Bear in mind that you perform this modification solely at your own risk. ***
Modification: 02-04 Level II Tow hook modification for Body Lift.
Let the modding Begin!!
- First. these pictures are from multiple hooks at multiple times never planned on making a how to. I will NOT go threw the basics of welding, grinding and metal working in this how-to. if you do not know them you shouldn't be attempting this mod at all.
******NEVER ATTEMPT this mod unless you are skilled on metal work and welding. *******
- You could cause bodily harm to yourself or someone else if you welded or did any step wrong while using the hooks as designed.
- Credit for the original design goes to my Father Fred Stone for thinking up this design and making it work the first time.
- You will need grinders, cut off wheels, flapper wheels, drill, drill bits, welder. (plasma cutter optional)
- First we start with a standard 02-04 level II tow hook. as shown
- Next secure the hook to a work surface in my case I was working on my hitch at the time so it worked nicely.
- Ok now you will cut off the factory welds, with a cut off wheel or plasma cutter. Either will work FYI for cut off wheels, get a lot of them. Fords welds are horribly strong and take forever to get thru.
- Now you will need to make these pieces. first being the riser plate you will need 2. next is the supports, I match the same thickness of the level II bar. and bend it. you will need 4 of these.
- Now bevel the hook bracket and the riser plate and weld up on both sides. **** Important on the back side surface grind the weld flat. Front doesn't matter.
- Now weld on the hook to the rise I usually do it slightly above the nut. Tip drill a hole, recess, weld on both sides grind back flat (in this picture its just tack welded on.)
- Next you will need to weld on the supports like so.
- And install. you will need to cut your valance for the supports. but not nearly as bad as hacking the valance if this was never done.