Discussion Thread:How to: 3rd taillight blinker mod
Note: Pictures were taken after i already did this mod.
16 gauge wire.
Philips screw driver
Blue butt connectors
Electrical tape or wire caps
Knife or something to cut with
Yellow replacement bulbs
1. Pull off both tail lights. You need the 3 bulb tail lights like this to do this mod. (not sure if you can with the 2 bulb taillights)
2. On the back side of the blinker you will find 2 different color wires you need the colored one. (drivers: orange/green pas: orange/blue)
3. You can either splice in to the wire at the brake light or follow the wires under the cab and search threw and find the right wires. I used 16 gauge speaker wire. (much easier to run 1 wire then 2) I spliced at the brake lights.
4. After you have decided where to splice the wires run them in to the cab on the drivers sides. There is a rubber grommet behind the drivers door. Use the knife to cut a X in to the grommet. Feed the wires in to the cab. Make sure to use plenty of zip ties you do not wont the wire to get snagged. (if you run the wires from the lights make sure they are out of the way of any moving parts so they don't get damaged or cut)
5. Take out the 3ed taillight.
6. Disconnect the 3ed taillight slowly and carefully wiggle the plug apart.
7. Run the wire threw the headliner where the 3ed tail light is. Go outside the cab and start pulling the wire threw the 3ed brake light hole. Go back in to the cab and hide the wire in the headliner and the side panels (headliner does not need to come out at all)
8. Now that you have the plug apart take your wire cutters/strippers and cut the black/pink wire coming from the plug (leave enough so you can reverse this mod later). Cap the power coming from the plug off. Using your cutter/strippers strip the black/pink wire do the same to the wires u have ran. Use a butt connector on the black/pink wire crimp the wire you ran with the black/pink wire as shown.
Now that you have used one of the 2 wires you ran you will see 2 more wires running from the light socket to the far one. One will also be black/pink cut that one in the middle. Cap off the wire going to the socket you already wired. Strip the black/pink wire and use a butt connector with the wire you ran as shown.
9. Now that everything is wired up go turn the truck on to where you can use your turn signals (no need to start the truck). The lights may be back words. With the turn signals off take all 3 bulb sockets off and swap them to the other side to correct the problem.
10. Put everything back together. it would look like this if done properly.YouTube- 3ed brake light blinker mod
Muddin in the ranger, killin ricers in the f350
95 ford ranger 3.0 v6 side step 5 speed 4x4
mods: 6" bds sus lift, 33x12.5r15 bfg km2, expo OHC/expo power seats, full length expo console, 2 1/2" flowmaster super 44 cat back, 4 procomp 5" offroad lights, clear headlights and turn signals, 6k hid kit, 25% tint (fronts)
Originally Posted by Yrac
Its a truck, you wanna go fast? Money = Horsepower!