Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 06-11-2011, 02:01 PM
Astonius Astonius is offline
Ford Truck Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 90
Default new to exhaust, need some help

I'm trying to order a new muffler for my 04 FX4. I'm thinking Magnaflow, but I'm having trouble finding the right model. What size are the stock pipes? Do I need offset or center mount?
__________________
Current rides:
2010 Corvette 3LT
2006 Range Rover HSE

Previous rides:
2004 Sonic Blue FX4 - Sold
2003 Bright Red Edge Plus - Sold
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-11-2011, 06:53 PM
knightmare1015 knightmare1015 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,010
Default Re: new to exhaust, need some help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astonius View Post
I'm trying to order a new muffler for my 04 FX4. I'm thinking Magnaflow, but I'm having trouble finding the right model. What size are the stock pipes? Do I need offset or center mount?
The stock pipe size is 2.25 inches. Magnaflow is a good exhaust system and they do sound great, but they tend to be a little on the expensive side. As for the configuration, it's really up to your own personal tastes. I do have some photos of my old Flowmaster exhaust set up, and I have photos and videos of my current set up if you want to see them to help you decide what you'd want and like. That's the key to picking an exhaust system. Going with what size engine you have and what type of sound you'd want.
__________________
SOLD: 2004 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0 V6 5 speed



www.knightmare1015.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-11-2011, 07:14 PM
Astonius Astonius is offline
Ford Truck Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 90
Default Re: new to exhaust, need some help

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightmare1015 View Post
The stock pipe size is 2.25 inches. Magnaflow is a good exhaust system and they do sound great, but they tend to be a little on the expensive side. As for the configuration, it's really up to your own personal tastes. I do have some photos of my old Flowmaster exhaust set up, and I have photos and videos of my current set up if you want to see them to help you decide what you'd want and like. That's the key to picking an exhaust system. Going with what size engine you have and what type of sound you'd want.
Thanks for the help! I ended up going with this one: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...tion-_-General

I got it for $63 after a $50 coupon. Hopefully it works and sounds good!
__________________
Current rides:
2010 Corvette 3LT
2006 Range Rover HSE

Previous rides:
2004 Sonic Blue FX4 - Sold
2003 Bright Red Edge Plus - Sold
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-11-2011, 07:22 PM
knightmare1015 knightmare1015 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,010
Default Re: new to exhaust, need some help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astonius View Post
Thanks for the help! I ended up going with this one: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...tion-_-General

I got it for $63 after a $50 coupon. Hopefully it works and sounds good!
I've had one of those and it did sound good, but it would've sounded better if it was welded instead of being clamped. They didn't put the clamp on right. Do you want to see my old flowmaster exhaust set up to help give you a better idea as to what you want to do?
__________________
SOLD: 2004 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0 V6 5 speed



www.knightmare1015.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-11-2011, 08:24 PM
Astonius Astonius is offline
Ford Truck Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 90
Default Re: new to exhaust, need some help

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightmare1015 View Post
I've had one of those and it did sound good, but it would've sounded better if it was welded instead of being clamped. They didn't put the clamp on right. Do you want to see my old flowmaster exhaust set up to help give you a better idea as to what you want to do?
Sure, I'll take a look.
__________________
Current rides:
2010 Corvette 3LT
2006 Range Rover HSE

Previous rides:
2004 Sonic Blue FX4 - Sold
2003 Bright Red Edge Plus - Sold
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-11-2011, 08:45 PM
knightmare1015 knightmare1015 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,010
Default Re: new to exhaust, need some help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astonius View Post
Sure, I'll take a look.
Ok here you go. This is my old exhaust system. I have something different on today along with a different set up as well.




__________________
SOLD: 2004 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0 V6 5 speed



www.knightmare1015.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-11-2011, 09:41 PM
Astonius Astonius is offline
Ford Truck Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 90
Default Re: new to exhaust, need some help

Nice. I'm probably gonna go with a turn down pipe. Don't need my pipes getting hung up when wheelin'
__________________
Current rides:
2010 Corvette 3LT
2006 Range Rover HSE

Previous rides:
2004 Sonic Blue FX4 - Sold
2003 Bright Red Edge Plus - Sold
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-11-2011, 09:55 PM
knightmare1015 knightmare1015 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,010
Default Re: new to exhaust, need some help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astonius View Post
Nice. I'm probably gonna go with a turn down pipe. Don't need my pipes getting hung up when wheelin'
Oh, so then you'll want something like this:

Here's what it looked like the day I had it installed:



And here's what it looks like today:



It still sounds like it did the day I had it installed. I have videos posted on the last page in the thread listed below if you want to here what my exhaust sounds like.

http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exhau...-thread-6.html

There you go my friend, enjoy.
__________________
SOLD: 2004 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0 V6 5 speed



www.knightmare1015.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Exhaust Help iTzMetal Exhaust and Mufflers 1 04-05-2011 09:18 PM
Exhaust help- side exhaust DRFTNGKNG Exhaust and Mufflers 10 10-22-2010 09:59 PM
exhaust anyone? wangbungal Exhaust and Mufflers 2 06-23-2010 07:40 PM
looking to get new exhaust... jkenenski Exhaust and Mufflers 4 06-22-2010 09:54 PM
exhaust fiddick Exhaust and Mufflers 6 03-04-2010 07:34 PM