Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 03-14-2011, 02:11 PM
Rango88 Rango88 is offline
N/A
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 9,031
Exclamation Muffler size Question

I was wondering what the stock muffler size was, I read somewhere that it was a 5x8x18 with 2.25 inch pipe, also, is it a center/center or offset center
http://www.magnaflowstop.com/product/12245
or
http://www.magnaflowstop.com/product/12256
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-14-2011, 05:27 PM
01B3000 01B3000 is offline
Needs moar chrome....
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,319
Default Re: Muffler size Question

I cant tell you about the length of the muffler but i think all rangers are 2.25, and they have offset in/center out i believe
__________________
2001 Mazda B-3000 CabPlus "FX2 Off Road"| 3.0 | 5 SPD | 3 In Spindle Lift | Belltech Shackles | UltraGauge |Alpine Head / 10" Kicker Setup | Air Box Mod | Add-A-Leaf| Thrush Welded B4 Rear Wheel | Kobalt Box | Cobra 19 DX IV | Custom PA Speaker | Front/Rear Tow Receiver | 2X Aux Lights | Hideaway Strobes | Back Rack Safety Rack | Amber LED Strobes | Blue LED Strobes | 265/75/R16 General Grabber AT2's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton View Post
I like little girls...........
RIP Jason
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-15-2011, 03:07 AM
Rango88 Rango88 is offline
N/A
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 9,031
Default Re: Muffler size Question

lol thanks for clarifying the offset/center question, I guess if the the new muffler is slightly larger I could always just cut part of my exhaust for more room
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-19-2011, 08:15 PM
Flinch Flinch is offline
Got Ranger?
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 92
Default Re: Muffler size Question

is this exhaust for your 2011 ranger you have there. keep me updated as to what you do. i also have a 2011 ranger and i am wanting to change just my muffler so i can have a better sound and keep my lifetime warranty. let me know what you do and how it sounds please.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-19-2011, 09:34 PM
Rango88 Rango88 is offline
N/A
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 9,031
Default Re: Muffler size Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinch View Post
is this exhaust for your 2011 ranger you have there. keep me updated as to what you do. i also have a 2011 ranger and i am wanting to change just my muffler so i can have a better sound and keep my lifetime warranty. let me know what you do and how it sounds please.
I am still unsure of what to do, I don't know to what point this will affect my warranty. I have an exhaust I like (flowmaster 40) for apporx $118, but havent placed the order yet, but I will keep everyone posted. For a 4L, its has a good rumble north of 3K rpm, but at idle, my Honda 2.2L sounded meaner.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-20-2011, 06:49 AM
Flinch Flinch is offline
Got Ranger?
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 92
Default Re: Muffler size Question

thanks, when i spoke to my dealer they said changing the muffler was ok unless it started to cause problems. keep in touch though
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-20-2011, 10:37 AM
Rango88 Rango88 is offline
N/A
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 9,031
Default Re: Muffler size Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinch View Post
thanks, when i spoke to my dealer they said changing the muffler was ok unless it started to cause problems. keep in touch though
thats cool that they told you that, that encourages need me to go for it. now i just need the mulla, you got paypal? could use a donation here
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-20-2011, 11:59 AM
Flinch Flinch is offline
Got Ranger?
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 92
Default Re: Muffler size Question

lol only if you donate back, why you thinking flowmaster and not magnaflow?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-30-2011, 11:39 AM
Gunner Gunner is offline
Diesel Truck & Coach Tech
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 223
Send a message via ICQ to Gunner Send a message via MSN to Gunner Send a message via Skype™ to Gunner
Default Re: Muffler size Question

keep in mind, the factory exhaust between the y pipe and the muffler is only 2". I don't know why. The y pipe is 2.25" and the tailpipe after the muffler is 2.25". I got a flowmaster 40 to fit between the frame and driveshaft on my 2011 4.0L without having to turn it sideways and have it hanging down in the way. Check out my new post on this thread. It has pictures as well!
__________________
2011 Ford Ranger Sport 4x4
4.0L SOHC
5 Speed Manual
MBRP stainless catback
"Air Box Mod" with K&N drop in
GlowShift Oil pressure & Volts in A pillar pod
T-bar crank to level
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-01-2011, 05:07 AM
Rango88 Rango88 is offline
N/A
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 9,031
Default Re: Muffler size Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
keep in mind, the factory exhaust between the y pipe and the muffler is only 2". I don't know why. The y pipe is 2.25" and the tailpipe after the muffler is 2.25". I got a flowmaster 40 to fit between the frame and driveshaft on my 2011 4.0L without having to turn it sideways and have it hanging down in the way. Check out my new post on this thread. It has pictures as well!
If I understand correctly, Should I order the muffler and have the in and out of 2.25 Inches or should I just get it 2". Now I am unsure.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-01-2011, 06:32 AM
Steelfrog Steelfrog is offline
'09 FX4
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 46
Default Re: Muffler size Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowd88 View Post
If I understand correctly, Should I order the muffler and have the in and out of 2.25 Inches or should I just get it 2". Now I am unsure.
Well damn, you're in the same city as I am, trying to order the same part and having a hard figuring out which one to get, hah hah. Are you ordering from A&C Auto Parts or is there some other dealer I missed that carries them? Man, we should get together and install these things.
__________________
2009 Ranger FX4
Vista Blue Metallic on 31" BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A
4.0L SOHC, Automatic
Flowmaster Delta 40, KW-AVX810
Audiophile Package, Leather Package, Chrome Package
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-01-2011, 06:35 AM
Rango88 Rango88 is offline
N/A
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 9,031
Default Re: Muffler size Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelfrog View Post
Well damn, you're in the same city as I am, trying to order the same part and having a hard figuring out which one to get, hah hah. Are you ordering from A&C Auto Parts or is there some other dealer I missed that carries them? Man, we should get together and install these things.
I was about to order from AC as well, . Unfortunately I am more of a bookie then a techie, so I wont be install this myself and I need some green before I order it
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-01-2011, 06:41 AM
Steelfrog Steelfrog is offline
'09 FX4
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 46
Default Re: Muffler size Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowd88 View Post
I was about to order from AC as well, . Unfortunately I am more of a bookie then a techie, so I wont be install this myself and I need some green before I order it
Fair enough! I called Mr. Muffler here in Gatineau and they want 55$ to get it installed. Not too bad considering they'd do much better work than I could until I get some decent tools.
__________________
2009 Ranger FX4
Vista Blue Metallic on 31" BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A
4.0L SOHC, Automatic
Flowmaster Delta 40, KW-AVX810
Audiophile Package, Leather Package, Chrome Package
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-01-2011, 06:48 AM
Rango88 Rango88 is offline
N/A
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 9,031
Default Re: Muffler size Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelfrog View Post
Fair enough! I called Mr. Muffler here in Gatineau and they want 55$ to get it installed. Not too bad considering they'd do much better work than I could until I get some decent tools.
thats pretty good so for less then $200 you would have your exhaust, arent you worried about ford not honering their warranty
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-01-2011, 06:53 AM
Steelfrog Steelfrog is offline
'09 FX4
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 46
Default Re: Muffler size Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowd88 View Post
thats pretty good so for less then $200 you would have your exhaust, arent you worried about ford not honering their warranty
I just called Ford and asked. He said that as long as it doesn't restrict the air flow and is properly installed, there shouldn't be any issues with warranty. That sounds like a "go ahead" to me. All I have to figure out now is which one will fit on my '09.

[UPDATE] I ordered the muffler from A&C which should arrive on Monday. I chose the 2" in/out, part #942043. I'll let you know how the installation goes.
__________________
2009 Ranger FX4
Vista Blue Metallic on 31" BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A
4.0L SOHC, Automatic
Flowmaster Delta 40, KW-AVX810
Audiophile Package, Leather Package, Chrome Package

Last edited by Steelfrog; 04-01-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
muffler delete question ben10 Exhaust and Mufflers 6 03-06-2011 11:41 PM
exaust muffler size pleaze scarbucket Exhaust and Mufflers 15 10-17-2010 03:00 PM
exhaust size and whats the best muffler for best sound 00RedRangerXLT Exhaust and Mufflers 4 08-27-2010 01:53 PM
muffler type and pipe size for a 2.3? mr cribb Exhaust and Mufflers 2 06-01-2010 12:45 AM
Muffler Question wtwest Exhaust and Mufflers 8 04-25-2010 12:14 PM