Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #31  
Old 10-15-2010, 04:41 PM
Jp7 Jp7 is offline
DISABLE ADBLOCK: LOLZ
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,438
Default Re: I want a cut out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo V8 4G View Post
RANGER KID
Its not in all cases that you want to reduce your exhaust back pressure. On a DD you want to keep some thats why they make mufflers, the muffler was designed to help regulate the amount of back pressure in the exhaust system. If you ever do this, you will only notice a gain (if any) at the bottom end (take off). Unless you are running a turbo set-up or a diesel (which have very, much higher exhaust psi's) you want to keep a muffler on it. How about this, remove you exhaust from the y-pipe after the NOx reducer on your truck and you will see exactly what I am talking about. I used to have a 2000 Trailhead 3.0 2x4 I was under the same assumption, because my papa had/still has a 89 Fox body with no exhaust that he ran at the 1/8 track in Duqoin IL, my teacher in college (NTI/UTI) suggested that I removed my exhaust and report to him the difference. So I did, very little at anything over 4k.
Like trying to explain nuclear fission to a sample of protozoa, give it up... there's no point.
__________________
Looking for a professional retrofitter to add HIDs or LEDs to your Ranger? PM me if your looking to have work done, and have cash to spend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRanger View Post
I'm dying to see this at night. Someone go tell the sun to give up already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beef08 View Post
Your the man, you bring our dreams to a reality within the lighting spectrum
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCobe View Post
Jp7 you always do AMAZING work! Hats off to you sir
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRanger View Post
People so often confuse "hating" with "knowing better".
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 10-17-2010, 05:33 PM
Ranger Kid Ranger Kid is offline
4.Pro
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 569
Default Re: I want a cut out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo V8 4G View Post
RANGER KID
Its not in all cases that you want to reduce your exhaust back pressure. On a DD you want to keep some thats why they make mufflers, the muffler was designed to help regulate the amount of back pressure in the exhaust system. If you ever do this, you will only notice a gain (if any) at the bottom end (take off). Unless you are running a turbo set-up or a diesel (which have very, much higher exhaust psi's) you want to keep a muffler on it. How about this, remove you exhaust from the y-pipe after the NOx reducer on your truck and you will see exactly what I am talking about. I used to have a 2000 Trailhead 3.0 2x4 I was under the same assumption, because my papa had/still has a 89 Fox body with no exhaust that he ran at the 1/8 track in Duqoin IL, my teacher in college (NTI/UTI) suggested that I removed my exhaust and report to him the difference. So I did, very little at anything over 4k.
Idk it's what Kyle tells me other wise. And he works on
and stuff like this lo pro


Idk its what he does for a living. I was asking for cheap good ones. Not that they don't work cause they do. Dyno's speak for themselves
__________________
91' Ford Ranger 4.0 Custom
Let's just say it's not stock
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 10-17-2010, 06:51 PM
TheStig TheStig is offline
My truck snorts.
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 820
Default Re: I want a cut out.

MR. Gasket makes a manual cut out kit

any local auto parts store can order one for you

its basically a Y pipe with a cable activated butterfly valve
__________________
1996 XLT 2.3T "White Lightning" 5/7 dropped, Turbo street toy
2006 FX4 Off Road, DD, work in progress
1985 XLT 2.8L 4x4 "The Black Pearl" (retired but still around)
1987 XL 2.3L 2wd R.I.P.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerAllie View Post
I love me some Stig
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 10-19-2010, 12:31 PM
Ranger Kid Ranger Kid is offline
4.Pro
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 569
Default Re: I want a cut out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
MR. Gasket makes a manual cut out kit

any local auto parts store can order one for you

its basically a Y pipe with a cable activated butterfly valve
Is it pretty good quality you think?
__________________
91' Ford Ranger 4.0 Custom
Let's just say it's not stock
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 10-19-2010, 01:03 PM
Psychopete Psychopete is offline
Psycho Pete
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,489
Default Re: I want a cut out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Kid View Post
Dyno's speak for themselves
It's one thing to experiment, but you can't make assumptions on outcomes and take them as gospel. In order to be right, you will have to have this measured on your truck. What works for one thing may not yield the same results on another.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 10-19-2010, 01:11 PM
Ranger Kid Ranger Kid is offline
4.Pro
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 569
Default Re: I want a cut out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychopete View Post
What works for one thing may not yield the same results on another.
Valid point. I have just seen a lot of good with this. But when people say it doesn't work at all, well it goes for them as well.
__________________
91' Ford Ranger 4.0 Custom
Let's just say it's not stock
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 10-19-2010, 01:36 PM
ZWilson07 ZWilson07 is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,254
Default Re: I want a cut out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo V8 4G View Post
RANGER KID
Its not in all cases that you want to reduce your exhaust back pressure. On a DD you want to keep some thats why they make mufflers, the muffler was designed to help regulate the amount of back pressure in the exhaust system. If you ever do this, you will only notice a gain (if any) at the bottom end (take off). Unless you are running a turbo set-up or a diesel (which have very, much higher exhaust psi's) you want to keep a muffler on it. How about this, remove you exhaust from the y-pipe after the NOx reducer on your truck and you will see exactly what I am talking about. I used to have a 2000 Trailhead 3.0 2x4 I was under the same assumption, because my papa had/still has a 89 Fox body with no exhaust that he ran at the 1/8 track in Duqoin IL, my teacher in college (NTI/UTI) suggested that I removed my exhaust and report to him the difference. So I did, very little at anything over 4k.

OP this has prolly been your best answer. now i can see how you aren't really liking some of the answers because they are coming off saying that ur basically an idiot, n cutouts wont add and power n your stupid for thinking that, so I do see your point to some degree. Now im not going to comment on either or for that because it just wouldnt add to the thread n wuld be pointless but I will give you my opinion n see if it helps. Yes u are correct that there are dyno sheets showing true hp n tq gains and that they cant all be lieing and cutouts can gain some power with less backpressure. BUT you also have to realize that most of those test are under optimum conditions and there are MANY factors that can contribute to all that. You can take just about any product n do some tuning n dyno time and show some gains, but its kinda in the same boat as air intake kits. Theres dyno sheets all day from K and N showing 10 hp gains and such but as far as really world goes, your prolly not going to see that. You COULD possibly see some low end gain but even then you will prolly lose some on the top end, theres just so many factors that go into it. I personally wouldn't waste my money on the perception of making more power, n really just more of a sound note but its your money. there is prolly mods that ill do that you wouldnt waste your money on, it just depends on the person. So if you want to get em, then get em just try not to mistake seat of pants power being the same as true hp and tq numbers. I have a friend at work who has em n loves em, so ill ask where he got his and im at work right now so I cant look anything up but when I get home ill look some more for you.
__________________
2006 Ford Ranger Supercab 4x4 XL. 4.0 5spd. To much to list-SOLD!

Ill be back
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 10-19-2010, 01:41 PM
Ranger Kid Ranger Kid is offline
4.Pro
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 569
Default Re: I want a cut out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZWilson07 View Post
OP this has prolly been your best answer. now i can see how you aren't really liking some of the answers because they are coming off saying that ur basically an idiot, n cutouts wont add and power n your stupid for thinking that, so I do see your point to some degree. Now im not going to comment on either or for that because it just wouldnt add to the thread n wuld be pointless but I will give you my opinion n see if it helps. Yes u are correct that there are dyno sheets showing true hp n tq gains and that they cant all be lieing and cutouts can gain some power with less backpressure. BUT you also have to realize that most of those test are under optimum conditions and there are MANY factors that can contribute to all that. You can take just about any product n do some tuning n dyno time and show some gains, but its kinda in the same boat as air intake kits. Theres dyno sheets all day from K and N showing 10 hp gains and such but as far as really world goes, your prolly not going to see that. You COULD possibly see some low end gain but even then you will prolly lose some on the top end, theres just so many factors that go into it. I personally wouldn't waste my money on the perception of making more power, n really just more of a sound note but its your money. there is prolly mods that ill do that you wouldnt waste your money on, it just depends on the person. So if you want to get em, then get em just try not to mistake seat of pants power being the same as true hp and tq numbers. I have a friend at work who has em n loves em, so ill ask where he got his and im at work right now so I cant look anything up but when I get home ill look some more for you.
Thank you for your honest answer. And the no bash made it better.
__________________
91' Ford Ranger 4.0 Custom
Let's just say it's not stock
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Starting/Cut Out Problem robertgrindle 3.0 Vulcan Tech 15 02-01-2011 12:48 PM
Engine cut out on highway jbrockell 4.0 SOHC / 4.0 OHV Tech 2 09-05-2010 05:44 PM
Cut exhaust? GSXR750 Exhaust and Mufflers 19 10-14-2009 01:18 AM
a/c cut off switch blueovelboy Electrical Tech 0 10-11-2009 07:34 AM
Cut exhaust FTW! TwistedDreams Vehicle Snapshots 9 09-30-2009 09:07 PM