Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #61  
Old 04-22-2010, 06:19 PM
knightmare1015 knightmare1015 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,010
Default As promised...

As you all know that I promised to post a pic of my exhaust. well here you go and enjoy. Oh. please try not to drool as much L.O.L.





It's not loud but it's deep and rumbly. For example: let's say I've been cruising around a while and I stop for gas. I shut the engine off and fill it up. Once I start the engine again and get moving, I let off the fuel and it does sound like a harley. It goes romp, romp, romp until I stop. Basicly you can tell it's a roller motor and it does have a bit of a rough idle (3.0 V6 usually does after so many miles of use). But at low cruising speeds, it has a nice deep tone, and sounds real good under exceleration. The reason it's not so loud is due to 2 factors. #1: The engine doesn't have enough displacement to make this thing super loud with modifying the actual muffler. And number 2: The length of the muffler plays a really big roll for this one. If it was about 5 inches shorter it would way,way too loud for my tastes. Any longer and you probably wouldn't hear it all. Also the turn down tip which is nothing more than a piece of pipe causes the sound waves to enter the cab. The angle of the tip you see in the photo is what they call the term "dumped".
__________________
SOLD: 2004 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0 V6 5 speed



www.knightmare1015.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 04-22-2010, 07:57 PM
ninenineranger ninenineranger is offline
Yea its 4x4!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 102
Default Re: Flowmaster 40's NOT LOUD ENOUGH!!!

Loox good^^

Does anybody know what temp do the catalytic's get, fully warmed up and on idle?? On mine the "Y" cats get to 450-500*F is that normal? I think its a lil too hot.. but not sure
__________________
'99 Ford Ranger 4x4, 4.sl0w, Auto, 3" BL, 2" Torsion Crank, 2" blocks, 31x10.50,
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 04-22-2010, 08:24 PM
Fx4wannabe01 Fx4wannabe01 is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,058
Default Re: Flowmaster 40's NOT LOUD ENOUGH!!!

truck throwing any codes? clogged cats shouldn't be replaced with no cats....your back pressure and performance will thank you. And fwiw, usually its just the last one that gets clogged first.

Those prices are a screamin' deal. it took me about 3 hours to gut my last cat. I was bored as shit and was fixing the exhaust thanks to loose and non-existant bolts, so I gutted the last cat....leaving me with 3 more left. lol
__________________
'01 XLT disguised as a '03 Fx4 Level II.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 04-22-2010, 08:30 PM
ninenineranger ninenineranger is offline
Yea its 4x4!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 102
Default Re: Flowmaster 40's NOT LOUD ENOUGH!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 View Post
truck throwing any codes? clogged cats shouldn't be replaced with no cats....your back pressure and performance will thank you. And fwiw, usually its just the last one that gets clogged first.

Those prices are a screamin' deal. it took me about 3 hours to gut my last cat. I was bored as shit and was fixing the exhaust thanks to loose and non-existant bolts, so I gutted the last cat....leaving me with 3 more left. lol
Every now and then it throws P0174 (Lean Bank 2) but that could be the little leak at the manifold and the pipe where it joins together. Its minor tho.. I was thinking of removing the last one too..
__________________
'99 Ford Ranger 4x4, 4.sl0w, Auto, 3" BL, 2" Torsion Crank, 2" blocks, 31x10.50,

Last edited by ninenineranger; 04-22-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 04-22-2010, 08:35 PM
Fx4wannabe01 Fx4wannabe01 is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,058
Default Re: Flowmaster 40's NOT LOUD ENOUGH!!!

exhaust leaks wouldn't toss any codes...unless they were huge leaks.
__________________
'01 XLT disguised as a '03 Fx4 Level II.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 04-22-2010, 08:54 PM
ninenineranger ninenineranger is offline
Yea its 4x4!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 102
Default Re: Flowmaster 40's NOT LOUD ENOUGH!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 View Post
exhaust leaks wouldn't toss any codes...unless they were huge leaks.
Really??? Okay so that code a hint to??? IDK, I took that 02 sensor off the other day and it had white on the tip, is that normal? The truck was previously overheated and I fixed it.
__________________
'99 Ford Ranger 4x4, 4.sl0w, Auto, 3" BL, 2" Torsion Crank, 2" blocks, 31x10.50,
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 04-22-2010, 09:06 PM
Fx4wannabe01 Fx4wannabe01 is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,058
Default Re: Flowmaster 40's NOT LOUD ENOUGH!!!

ten year old truck....might need 02 sensors anyway...
__________________
'01 XLT disguised as a '03 Fx4 Level II.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 04-22-2010, 09:22 PM
ninenineranger ninenineranger is offline
Yea its 4x4!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 102
Default Re: Flowmaster 40's NOT LOUD ENOUGH!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 View Post
ten year old truck....might need 02 sensors anyway...
They look fairly new.. and they are aftermarket "Bosch"... Owell, if it aint broke dont break it..lol
__________________
'99 Ford Ranger 4x4, 4.sl0w, Auto, 3" BL, 2" Torsion Crank, 2" blocks, 31x10.50,
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 04-23-2010, 12:59 PM
knightmare1015 knightmare1015 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,010
Default Re: Flowmaster 40's NOT LOUD ENOUGH!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninenineranger View Post
Loox good^^

Does anybody know what temp do the catalytic's get, fully warmed up and on idle?? On mine the "Y" cats get to 450-500*F is that normal? I think its a lil too hot.. but not sure
Thanks. That sounds about normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 View Post
truck throwing any codes? clogged cats shouldn't be replaced with no cats....your back pressure and performance will thank you. And fwiw, usually its just the last one that gets clogged first.

Those prices are a screamin' deal. it took me about 3 hours to gut my last cat. I was bored as shit and was fixing the exhaust thanks to loose and non-existant bolts, so I gutted the last cat....leaving me with 3 more left. lol
Yes and no Shane. I had this happen to me on this ranger and another. The first cat was clogged then the others clogged up really bad on the other ranger. The exhaust shop removed the cats and the entire set of pipes and fired it up. It sounded damn good and didn't throw codes at all. Then they replaced the entire exhaust system new cats and all several weeks later (Cats were on back order I had to wait). Basicly I drove around for about 3 weeks with pipes only till the parts came in. The performance dropped enough to notice but loved the way it sounded. They redone the entire exhaust with high flowing cats and all and it performed better than what it did at the factory. This ranger I have now the first cat got clogged and I lopped it off completely. I haven't had a problem with the exhaust since. No codes or nothing. That is indeed a smokin hot deal and I'd jump on that in a heartbeat.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ninenineranger View Post
Every now and then it throws P0174 (Lean Bank 2) but that could be the little leak at the manifold and the pipe where it joins together. Its minor tho.. I was thinking of removing the last one too..
Remove the last one and check the pipes over really good. You might be able to just fix the leak with a tad bit of welding.
__________________
SOLD: 2004 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0 V6 5 speed



www.knightmare1015.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 04-23-2010, 03:21 PM
calebw15 calebw15 is offline
Ford Motor Company
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 127
Default Re: As promised...

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightmare1015 View Post
As you all know that I promised to post a pic of my exhaust. well here you go and enjoy. Oh. please try not to drool as much L.O.L.





It's not loud but it's deep and rumbly. For example: let's say I've been cruising around a while and I stop for gas. I shut the engine off and fill it up. Once I start the engine again and get moving, I let off the fuel and it does sound like a harley. It goes romp, romp, romp until I stop. Basicly you can tell it's a roller motor and it does have a bit of a rough idle (3.0 V6 usually does after so many miles of use). But at low cruising speeds, it has a nice deep tone, and sounds real good under exceleration. The reason it's not so loud is due to 2 factors. #1: The engine doesn't have enough displacement to make this thing super loud with modifying the actual muffler. And number 2: The length of the muffler plays a really big roll for this one. If it was about 5 inches shorter it would way,way too loud for my tastes. Any longer and you probably wouldn't hear it all. Also the turn down tip which is nothing more than a piece of pipe causes the sound waves to enter the cab. The angle of the tip you see in the photo is what they call the term "dumped".
Nice man... How long is the glasspack and what size piping did you go with?
__________________
2005 4.0 FX4
Tinted out (15% front, 1% back glass and quarters, 5% winshield strip), Line X Bedliner, Flowmaster Super 40, T-Bar Crank with 265 Firestone AT's
Memphis Power Reference 10 in a ported box, 400 watt amp, 8000k 55w HID's
_____________________________________
Mods to come...
4" Superlift
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 04-24-2010, 07:56 PM
knightmare1015 knightmare1015 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,010
Default Re: As promised...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebw15 View Post
Nice man... How long is the glasspack and what size piping did you go with?
Thanks. It's about 28 inches long and I went with the stock size pipe.
__________________
SOLD: 2004 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0 V6 5 speed



www.knightmare1015.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 04-27-2010, 10:03 PM
ninenineranger ninenineranger is offline
Yea its 4x4!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 102
Default Re: Flowmaster 40's NOT LOUD ENOUGH!!!

i will be hollowing the front cats and pipethru the rear cats tomorrow! I ran the truck without the 02 sensors from the manifolds and it had hell of alot more power!! Ill keep yall updated.
__________________
'99 Ford Ranger 4x4, 4.sl0w, Auto, 3" BL, 2" Torsion Crank, 2" blocks, 31x10.50,
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 04-28-2010, 10:23 AM
ninenineranger ninenineranger is offline
Yea its 4x4!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 102
Default Re: Flowmaster 40's NOT LOUD ENOUGH!!!

****UPDATE****

I deleted the cats and what a difference!! The power is there! the sound is definetly there! Im really loving the sound not too loud not too humble just good for me. The cats were clogged or clogging up.. I had lost all the torque in wot.. But now im happy with the results, thanx for every bodies input and help..


Oh yeah, and NO MORE DANG PINGING!!!!!!
__________________
'99 Ford Ranger 4x4, 4.sl0w, Auto, 3" BL, 2" Torsion Crank, 2" blocks, 31x10.50,

Last edited by ninenineranger; 04-28-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 05-01-2010, 04:06 PM
Hornblas Hornblas is offline
Liking the Ford Ranger Forum
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 24
Default Re: Flowmaster 40's NOT LOUD ENOUGH!!!

I must be old...I just put a Delta 40(3" in 2.5" dual out) in my 4.0..I used 1 7/8" pipe for the tailpipe. 2.5 all the way back just seemed too damn big for that motor. I love it.
..its plenty loud. Not as loud as my 78 cj v8 with cherry bombs but still...plenty loud and not very Ricey.
__________________
2005 Ranger Fx4 level II 4.0L. Flowmaster 40 series Cat back dual exaust,K&N drop in Air filter, brush bar, nerf bars,PIAA Fog lamps and T bar crank...otherwise, bone stock.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 04-25-2011, 08:18 PM
00RangerXLT 00RangerXLT is offline
Buy a Ford
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 180
Default Re: Flowmaster 40's NOT LOUD ENOUGH!!!

i hear wat youre sayin 99ranger. my friend has a sonoma 4.3, put on a original 40 dumped: deep idle and roaring when he gets on it. i revved my gibson against his, and he whooped my ass with him at 3000rpm and mine at 4500-5000rpm. i want my ranger to sound like wat you want yours to sound like: noticeable, will turn some heads, and can easily hear it. i want it so i can hear it good with the windows up. like fx4wannabe, im also a exhaust connisouer. i look for that perfect sound
__________________
2000 Ford Ranger Ext. Cab XLT 4x4 Off-Road
3.0 V6, 4.10 Open Diff, 3" Body Lift, 33" Kodiak A/T's, M/T Wheels
FORD: Eatin Dodges, Shittin Chevys
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Loud Humming from Intake Hose 96Ranger40 4.0 SOHC / 4.0 OHV Tech 10 01-14-2011 09:42 PM
loud chirping noise?? JeremyMik84 General Tech 15 02-21-2010 10:32 PM
Really loud squeaking noise from wheels CJG Drivetrain Tech 5 08-08-2009 04:12 PM
loud howl/whine under hood kakerman General Ford Ranger Discussion 6 07-10-2009 05:59 AM
loud wind whine at high speeds g-ann General Ford Ranger Discussion 0 03-02-2009 10:37 PM