Heres how for an Explorer (same as ranger)
Here are the steps:
1. Remove two 7mm screws behind the hood release (behind the handle).
2. Remove two 7mm screws on the bottom of the panel below the steering column.
3. Remove panel.
4. Remove around 5 8mm screws/bolts from the big metal panel.
5. Remove 2 7mm screws that hold your radio bezel in place (above HVAC controls). Pull the bezel out about 1-2 inches and leave it there. No need to remove it all the way.
6. Remove 3 7mm screws above the instrument cluster.
7. Remove 2 7 mm screws at the bottom of the instrument cluster bezel (the same panel that has your headlight switch).
8. Remove headlight switch knob. Pop that panel off. You may have to fiddle with your automatic shifter (if you have one) or drop your column (if you have tilt).
9. Now you can unhook the switch and undo the screws holding it in. Just reverse the steps.
For the big metal panel you can really just loosen the bolts or remove some of them. You really just need to gain access to the screws in step 7.