Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 02-21-2011, 11:50 PM
mw619 mw619 is offline
Ford Ranger Owner
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 60
Default Aftermarket light bulbs

I want to replace all the headlight bulbs on my 03 ranger 3.0 edge. Im doing the headlights and fog lights, and am looking for the best aftermarket bright white bulbs.
Im open to other options (maybe HIDs), but i want to know what the brightest aftermarket bulbs for the stock lights are.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-22-2011, 01:18 AM
S13minus1 S13minus1 is offline
Sideways? Sideways.
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,592
Send a message via AIM to S13minus1
Default Re: Aftermarket light bulbs

Hey Matt, here in SD there is a shop called DDM tuning. They sell HID setups for pretty cheap, cheaper than the best halogen lights which will probably be Sylvania SilverStar Ultras. You're more than welcome to come take a look at my HIDs anytime
__________________
-Alex
'10 Ranger XL 2.3L Manual
Mods: Stereo, Tint, Weatherguard rain shields, Intake silencer removal, LED brake, turn signal, reverse, license plate, and dome lights, DDM HID's (currently removed), lowered, 17" wheels with spacers, Explorer autodim mirror with Autolamps, Magnaflow exhaust, Buggman LED 3rd Brake Light...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinS View Post
awe come on alex be a man!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-22-2011, 02:41 AM
STL STL is offline
...............

 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 23,398
Default Re: Aftermarket light bulbs

I have the Sylvania SilverStar Ultra they are the next best thing to HID bulbs
__________________
2005 Edge

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-22-2011, 04:10 AM
Ranger Sport Ranger Sport is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,137
Default Re: Aftermarket light bulbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL View Post
I have the Sylvania SilverStar Ultra they are the next best thing to HID bulbs
Or buy eurolites,they have the same warranty, same quality, for 1/3 the price.

If you feel lucky, try to find streetglow bulbs (i can't find them here anymore), mine last me 3 and a half years, and were still very bright when i traded in the car.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-22-2011, 04:15 AM
Clinton Clinton is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 14,049
Default Re: Aftermarket light bulbs

I have phillips super brights, I use them in all my cars and trucks and they have lasted me a very long time
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-23-2011, 12:34 PM
GGlighting GGlighting is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 754
Default Re: Aftermarket light bulbs

HIDs all the way
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-23-2011, 12:36 PM
dixie_boysles dixie_boysles is offline
5.Oh All the way

 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,581
Send a message via Yahoo to dixie_boysles
Default Re: Aftermarket light bulbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL View Post
I have the Sylvania SilverStar Ultra they are the next best thing to HID bulbs
X2
__________________
2014 F150 SuperCrew XLT 4x4
275/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W | Shorty Antenna | Tinted Windows | ProClip Phone Mount |5.0 v8 |Tow Package | Oxford White


Sold/Totaled: 2006 Ranger XLT 2D SuperCap 4x4 Torch Red
15x8 Pacer 164P Polished Wheels | 31x10.50 BFG ATs | Level II Tow Hooks | FX4 Red Insert Seats
Tinted Windows | 6000K HIDs | Kobalt Low Profile Toolbox | Pioneer Speakers
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-23-2011, 03:09 PM
STL STL is offline
...............

 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 23,398
Default Re: Aftermarket light bulbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Sport View Post
Or buy eurolites,they have the same warranty, same quality, for 1/3 the price.

If you feel lucky, try to find streetglow bulbs (i can't find them here anymore), mine last me 3 and a half years, and were still very bright when i traded in the car.
Never even heard of that brand before. I will stick with Sylvania
__________________
2005 Edge

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-23-2011, 07:29 PM
FoMoCo FoMoCo is offline
RF.net ban camp founder
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,816
Default Re: Aftermarket light bulbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGlighting View Post
HIDs all the way
i disagree, HID is not the best option, you lose your highbeam option, and they are NOT designed for halogen housings, the only way HID is effictive is if you run them in projector housings
__________________
2012 mustang premium v6 pony package
702 crew
XBGT:IKONIK MOPAR
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-23-2011, 08:13 PM
GGlighting GGlighting is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 754
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoMoCo View Post
i disagree, HID is not the best option, you lose your highbeam option, and they are NOT designed for halogen housings, the only way HID is effictive is if you run them in projector housings
Except for the fact that EVERY HID company makes hi/ Lo beam HIDs

All projectors do is project the light to a focused point straight ahead, HIDs work perfectly fine in halogen housings. I install HIDs in halogen housings daily to my customers as well as in Offroad lights. They work perfectly fine and emit A LOT of light that doesn't look like crap
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-23-2011, 08:18 PM
GGlighting GGlighting is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 754
Default

I even sell HID kits that have a halogen hi beam and a HID Lo beam, so you can make it your choice if you want to have halogen or HID lights on
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-23-2011, 08:25 PM
FireRanger FireRanger is offline
Blinded by the light
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 7,674
Send a message via AIM to FireRanger
Default Re: Aftermarket light bulbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoMoCo View Post
i disagree, HID is not the best option, you lose your highbeam option, and they are NOT designed for halogen housings, the only way HID is effictive is if you run them in projector housings
I have to correct and disagree partially. First as stated above, nearly everyone that sells HID kits does in fact sell hi/lo kits. I've had them in my truck for years and in fact I have a brand new kit sitting in front of me on my desk as we speak . Many people opt to just get the low only kits because they're cheaper. If your state doesn't have inspections which require working high beams, it then just becomes personal preference.

They are indeed very effective in our standard existing housings. The HID's are designed to replace the existing lamp therefore it will throw the light in the same places that the old halogen bulbs did. Just a hell of a lot more of it. I'm pretty sure the many many other people on here that have them just like me would emphatically agree with this.

To your point, they are indeed extremely impressive and effective (and less wasteful light) when used with projector style housings that can better focus and cut off the light. But thats like comparing $1,000 to $5,000. Is $1,000 really awesome? Hell yes. Is $5,000 even more awesome, yes but that doesn't make $1,000 suck.
__________________
(Formerly)
FireRanger
2003 Edge 4.0 4wd

How to: Aux light wiring, relays, & fuses
Info: 300+ intake threads here on FRF
Info: HID Projectors
How To: NO HEAT Troubleshooting Guide
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-23-2011, 08:28 PM
GGlighting GGlighting is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 754
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRanger View Post
I have to correct and disagree partially. First as stated above, nearly everyone that sells HID kits does in fact sell hi/lo kits. I've had them in my truck for years and in fact I have a brand new kit sitting in front of me on my desk as we speak . Many people opt to just get the low only kits because they're cheaper. If your state doesn't have inspections which require working high beams, it then just becomes personal preference.

They are indeed very effective in our standard existing housings. The HID's are designed to replace the existing lamp therefore it will throw the light in the same places that the old halogen bulbs did. Just a hell of a lot more of it. I'm pretty sure the many many other people on here that have them just like me would emphatically agree with this.

To your point, they are indeed extremely impressive and effective (and less wasteful light) when used with projector style housings that can better focus and cut off the light. But thats like comparing $1,000 to $5,000. Is $1,000 really awesome? Hell yes. Is $5,000 even more awesome, yes but that doesn't make $1,000 suck.
Very well put. Thanks for backing me
A lot of people have an impression that "HIDs need to be in a projector and can't go in halogen housings"
It's wrong. My whole entire company is based on HID conversions, it's what I do for a living. It wouldn't be a successful company if HID conversions didn't work
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-23-2011, 08:43 PM
mw619 mw619 is offline
Ford Ranger Owner
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 60
Default Re: Aftermarket light bulbs

I did an HID conversion on another vehicle I own. I recommend it for any vehicle especially off road. But for my ranger Im going to just get the silvania silverstar ultras. What are the light bulb numbers to look for on the 03 Ranger headlights and fog lights?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-23-2011, 08:48 PM
GGlighting GGlighting is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 754
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw619 View Post
I did an HID conversion on another vehicle I own. I recommend it for any vehicle especially off road. But for my ranger Im going to just get the silvania silverstar ultras. What are the light bulb numbers to look for on the 03 Ranger headlights and fog lights?
9007 is the headlight number for ranger headlights


For you guys that are iffy or against HID, PLEASE text me at 714 932 3279 so I can send you pics and change your mind
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLD] My 6000k H10 HID bulbs for your 3000k H10 HID bulbs! Bwad Exterior Parts 2 02-01-2011 01:35 PM
How do you change the dash light bulbs ?? TACTICALGLOCK General Tech 2 08-14-2010 09:20 PM
what bulbs are these? FoMoCo General Ford Ranger Discussion 7 05-02-2010 06:26 PM
LCD gauge cluster bulbs to replace oem bulbs... HOW? DangerRanger379 Interior Tech 2 03-30-2010 02:02 PM
[SOLD] Tail light harness, set of sockets and bulbs. RangerJustin Exterior Parts 1 02-07-2010 07:35 AM